Author Topic: Pep Lijnders  (Read 155403 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: Pep Lijnders
« Reply #1040 on: May 15, 2024, 01:48:42 pm »
I've a lot of time for Lijnders, he's been a big part of our success in recent times. And he really bought into the whole ethos of the club and knew how to use it to good effect. I'm sure he'll does well at Ajax, if he's given what he needs there to succeed.

I think you missed about 20 pages of posts  :P

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1041 on: May 15, 2024, 01:54:06 pm »
I'm glad everybody is wishing him well. Except Al, of course, who seems to be questioning this move for whatever reason.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1042 on: May 15, 2024, 01:58:39 pm »
Congratulations.

Who knows where his next step will be? ;D
Red Bull Leipzig, probably  :P

Best of luck to him, seems top be a great coach and Salzburg is a club that should allow him to transition into the manager role nicely.

I mean, they made Jesse March look like the next big manager...
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1043 on: May 15, 2024, 02:03:32 pm »
Best of luck to him. Played a pivotal part in a glorious period for the club and inexplicably gets nowhere near the recognition he deserves from many quarters it seems. Will be keeping a close eye on them.

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1044 on: May 15, 2024, 02:05:17 pm »
All the best and congratulations.

Hopefully we meet again in the future.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1045 on: May 15, 2024, 02:10:53 pm »
Great opportunity for him. Hope he does well.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: May 15, 2024, 02:19:11 pm »
For me for a coach like Pep its the right move, he knows he will be able to put his stamp on a winning team. Be easier to put his philopsophy on a team that is expected to win. And the club has had a pretty consistent progressive style of play over the years from what i know.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1047 on: May 15, 2024, 02:26:45 pm »
Good luck Pep, all the best.

I think it's a great place to start out bar his short stint in Holland when he first left. A club where there's expectation to win and there's lots of young players to bring through which is probably a theme in his career. If he can succeed for a few years there it opens up a decent path to progress. It's better than taking the Ajax job IMO where the pressure could get to more experienced managers, also because their side needs a lot of work if it's to compete in the Champions League again.

The Salzburg side has certainly regressed from the one we faced with Haaland, Minamini, Chan amongst others. Sturm Graz look set to complete a double, Jaros has done well in goal for them on loan from Liverpool.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1048 on: May 15, 2024, 03:05:47 pm »
A good opportunity for him. He might be at RB Leipzig or elsewhere in the Bundesliga in a few years
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 03:31:14 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #1049 on: May 15, 2024, 03:10:36 pm »
As I said yesterday, think this is a good opportunity for him, glad he got the role.

Best of luck Pep!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1050 on: May 15, 2024, 03:19:11 pm »
All the best Pep, hope you go on to be a big success, thanks for all you done with the mighty reds in your time at Anfield

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1051 on: May 15, 2024, 03:38:40 pm »
Good luck to Pep. I;m sure Michael Edwards and Richard Hughes will be spending some time in Salzburg and we'll be sending players both ways.  :D

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #1052 on: May 15, 2024, 04:04:24 pm »
If he does well there, no doubt Leipzig will be the next logical step. Interesting to see how he does on his own as klopp has credited him massively for implementing a lot of ideas in the way we currently play

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1053 on: May 15, 2024, 04:04:39 pm »
Farewell and the best of luck to Pepijin and Vitor. Hope success finds them but even if it doesn't it's not a bad place to have had residence in.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1054 on: May 15, 2024, 04:37:23 pm »
All The Best Pep

You're the one to take the Bulls by the Horns

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1055 on: May 15, 2024, 04:44:50 pm »
All The Best Pep

You're the one to take the Bulls by the Horns

So long as he doesn't look the gift horse in the mouth - he should be fine.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1056 on: May 15, 2024, 04:47:16 pm »
Best wishes Pep🙌🏾

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1057 on: May 15, 2024, 04:58:02 pm »
Welcome to RB Leipzig Pep, umm we're just going to sell our best player to your old club! ok, cool :D

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1058 on: May 15, 2024, 05:18:45 pm »
Apart from a couple of months at NEC where they did quite poorly, I don't think he's ever been responsible for a team, even a youth team. So this is his first real job as a manager. It's a really good opportunity to develop himself as a manager. If things go well then I'm sure he'll look for a "project". Will be interesting to see if he tries to take any academy players with him.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1059 on: May 15, 2024, 05:59:14 pm »
Good luck to Pep. He has been a very important part of our success under Jurgen.

The step from being a number 2 to being the boss is a significant step, but if he navigates it well there will be even bigger opportunities to come. He is a football man through and through, and I'm sure the powers that be at LFC will keep a watching brief. We may even forge a mutually beneficial link for players to develop, although maybe not, as Red Bull like to keep in control of that between their own clubs.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1060 on: May 15, 2024, 06:00:06 pm »
I'm glad everybody is wishing him well. Except Al, of course, who seems to be questioning this move for whatever reason.

Nice attempt at trolling.

Strange club to work for. Pretty much have to win the League whilst continually losing your best players to Leipzig and others.

Hope it works out for him.

Which bit of hope it works out for him don't you understand? ;D ;D
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1061 on: May 15, 2024, 06:03:47 pm »
but it’s Austria, if he’s serious about making it as a head coach, and is good enough, he won’t be there long. All he needs is to prove himself then get the next move. If he’s any good, he won’t be there for more than a couple years.

Yeh I agree with that.

It's just from a selfish point of view I would have liked him to go out and try and build something himself. It is really hard to judge the coaches at the Red Bull clubs. It is a bit like the coaches who go to Brighton. How much is the coach and how much is the recruitment team.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1062 on: May 15, 2024, 06:11:47 pm »
Nice attempt at trolling.

Which bit of hope it works out for him don't you understand? ;D ;D

But you then said this:

He doesn't get the chance to build a team or forge an identity of his own though. Red Bull has its clubs set up to play the Red Bull way and the team pretty much gets gutted every season. Compare that to Xabi at Leverkusen or Amorim at Sporting.

He should go there and do well as their coaches usually do. It doesn't answer many questions about his ability though.

So, I guess you are wishing him well, while questioning his choice of clubs and saying he won't be able to answer questions about his ability.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1063 on: May 15, 2024, 06:19:03 pm »
But you then said this:

So, I guess you are wishing him well, while questioning his choice of clubs and saying he won't be able to answer questions about his ability.

As I clarified as a Liverpool fan I would have liked him to go somewhere where he would have had a bit more control and the chance to forge an identity the way Xabi and Amorim have.

Bar an incredible run in Europe then it is going to be really hard to judge how he has done.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1064 on: May 15, 2024, 08:32:09 pm »
Yeh I agree with that.

It's just from a selfish point of view I would have liked him to go out and try and build something himself. It is really hard to judge the coaches at the Red Bull clubs. It is a bit like the coaches who go to Brighton. How much is the coach and how much is the recruitment team.

Only the very best really get the chance to build mind, loads of really good coaches around who don’t get any sort of control at clubs. But if he shows he’s good enough then the next step could happen in just a couple years, and if he’s REALLY good he will get the chance to build something himself.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1065 on: May 15, 2024, 09:03:31 pm »
Yeah, like everyone has said, seems like a perfect job for him. Best of luck Pep!

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: Yesterday at 12:49:39 am »
Best of Luck to him

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: Yesterday at 09:33:43 am »
Welcome to RB Leipzig Pep, umm we're just going to sell our best player to your old club! ok, cool :D

Strahinja Pavlovic. Left-footed CB.  ;)
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1068 on: Yesterday at 09:45:12 am »
What a job for Ljinders to land!  Salzburg have won the Austrian league for each of the past 10 seasons and done the double in 7 of those seasons.  It's a job where it's very difficult to fail so will give Ljinders the space to develop as a manager.

The only downside is that the previous managers during that decade of dominance have not gone on to do much; Adi Hutter (Monaco), Peter Ziedler (unemployed), Thomas Letsch (unemployed), Oscar Garcia (OH Leuven), Marco Rose (RBL), Jesse Marsch (Canada), Matthias Jaissle (Al Ahli) and Gerhard Struber (unemployed).  Hopefully Ljinders can buck the trend.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1069 on: Yesterday at 09:51:05 am »
Only the very best really get the chance to build mind, loads of really good coaches around who don’t get any sort of control at clubs. But if he shows he’s good enough then the next step could happen in just a couple years, and if he’s REALLY good he will get the chance to build something himself.

I am not sure that is true. Plenty of coaches get the opportunity to decide how they want the team to play. Being a coach of a MCO club means you play the way the organisation wants you to play. The goal isn't to win trophies and create a successful style of play. It is about producing players for the club above you.

You want the players to have an easy transition from Salzburg to Leipzig. I think Ljinders is clearly talented and just think it is a shame he won't get the opportunity to work on how he wants to play the game. The really top coaches are the ones who try and get ahead of the curve and create the next great way of playing. They look to become the innovators and not almost tribute acts to the those above them in the MCO pecking order.

It is one of the big issues I have with the MCO model. In the end you are going to end up with a dozen or so MCO's all with numerous clubs all playing identical football. Throw in the ever increasing use of analytics and Football will just become a vanilla sport.

The joy of European football for me was coming up against different styles of play and different football cultures. Now bizarrely you can end up in a Europa League group with teams from different countries all playing the same football because it is the way the MCOs sets up their teams.
"Ohhh-kayyy"