Author Topic: Glen Johnson...  (Read 101594 times)

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Glen Johnson...
« Reply #120 on: November 4, 2010, 11:11:34 pm »
When is Glen going to stop being shit?  First game back, he's allowed a poor performance, perhaps to be expected, but we'd all like to see some of that Portsmouth form coming back to him.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: November 4, 2010, 11:21:47 pm »
glad to see him back on the pitch.  wasnt a great performance but thats to be expected coming back from injury.  hopefully he can get back to his best now :).  roy is going to have a bit of a headache deciding the team for the weekend now..

Offline lafuriaroja

• Kopite
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #122 on: November 4, 2010, 11:22:41 pm »
When is Glen going to stop being shit?  First game back, he's allowed a poor performance, perhaps to be expected, but we'd all like to see some of that Portsmouth form coming back to him.

He'll look better when we get a new manager who presses the ball, doesn't defend deep, and puts Carra on the bench.
"I think Jose should have brought a double decker rather than the mini bus."

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #123 on: November 4, 2010, 11:22:53 pm »
Thought he had a decent game myself.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: November 4, 2010, 11:24:31 pm »
Thought he had a good game.

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #125 on: November 4, 2010, 11:24:51 pm »
;D

Thats what happens when you run out of beer and move to the wife's Rose wine... :o
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #126 on: November 4, 2010, 11:26:43 pm »
Is there any truth to him being one of the two England players who took out an injunction against the press?

Edit: just seen the above post..

Offline El_Nino_9

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #127 on: November 4, 2010, 11:27:18 pm »
He'll look better when we get a new manager who presses the ball, doesn't defend deep, and puts Carra on the bench.
this

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #128 on: November 4, 2010, 11:39:31 pm »
He always looks like he carries too much muscle to me....you know when they are more bulky than strong sought of thing?
would love to see him with more strength less muscle...less clumsy
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Burned_Alive

• Main Stander
« Reply #129 on: November 4, 2010, 11:47:35 pm »
About time Johnson gets converted to an out and out winger, ala Bale, and Kelly takes up the RB spot.

Offline therockbox

• Legacy Fan
  • Funklord
« Reply #130 on: November 4, 2010, 11:48:05 pm »
About time Johnson gets converted to an out and out winger, ala Bale, and Kelly takes up the RB spot.
Why?

Offline Rednyte

• Main Stander
« Reply #131 on: November 4, 2010, 11:49:07 pm »
Why?

because he can't defend to save himself

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #132 on: November 4, 2010, 11:51:57 pm »
because he can't defend to save himself

he is a better defender than Kelly...10 times better.

and he defender very well tonight.

lack of concentration and focus at times is his biggest defensive weakness for me.

he is a fine tackler, intercepter, and reader of the game

Offline skerriesred

• Main Stander
  • Devuelvemela pelota.
« Reply #133 on: November 4, 2010, 11:56:37 pm »
I thought he was very ring rusty and sloppy tonight with bad passing and poor control. Winning the penalty was a plus and getting 90 minutes was too.
I would prefer that he played on the wing on Sunday so we dont have to witness the Carra / Drogba show in the centre. Greek and Skittles would be my preference at the moment.
I am off to say a prayer for Aggers return to fitness and to thank God for the Jay Spearing performance, my MOTM despite the captain's hat-trick
" Never make a decision until you have to, because often they are made for you"
Bill Shankly

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 4, 2010, 11:58:34 pm »
Johnson is not a bad defender at all. Just that so many people say he is makes it seem like a fact. He's obviously better going forward, but his defensive abilty since he came here (particualrly under Rafa) improved considerably. He may be out of position at times but he has the pace to make up for it so thats fine.

And he would simply not be better at right mid. He is so good going forward because he attacks from deep and provides the overlap. At right midfield he wouldnt be doing this. We have the best right back in the league, yet loads of people (fans and even ex players/ and pundits) are saying put him right wing and Kelly at right back (based on a few decent games).

Oh and he was good tonight, considering he's just returned from injury. Looking forward to seeing him and Dirk on that right hand side again soon!
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 5, 2010, 12:06:30 am »
Johnson is not a bad defender at all. Just that so many people say he is makes it seem like a fact. He's obviously better going forward, but his defensive abilty since he came here (particualrly under Rafa) improved considerably. He may be out of position at times but he has the pace to make up for it so thats fine.

And he would simply not be better at right mid. He is so good going forward because he attacks from deep and provides the overlap. At right midfield he wouldnt be doing this. We have the best right back in the league, yet loads of people (fans and even ex players/ and pundits) are saying put him right wing and Kelly at right back (based on a few decent games).

Oh and he was good tonight, considering he's just returned from injury. Looking forward to seeing him and Dirk on that right hand side again soon!

Good post , the media and idiots like aldo think he cant defend and yet kelly is like bloody maldini at the back. Im sorry but glen is very under rated he may lose concentration but kelly doesnt get tight enough to a winger either, constantly allows crosses in. I like the lad hell have a great future at the club but probably at centreback. Personally id rather play kelly at left back till aurelio( if ever) gets fit, becuase konchesky is the real weak link at the back. Btw i think with carras screaming everyone else just seems to nervous to make a mistake and it affects the defensive game.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #136 on: November 5, 2010, 12:09:26 am »
he is a better defender than Kelly...10 times better.

and he defender very well tonight.

lack of concentration and focus at times is his biggest defensive weakness for me.

he is a fine tackler, intercepter, and reader of the game

Been watching Johnson much have we?

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Online King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: November 5, 2010, 12:12:06 am »
Thought he had a good game today.

Now looking forward to Him and Kuyt forming a formidable relationship down the right. I believe that they could be deadly if we have the settled personel in other areas (CB and DMF)

I would love it if those two could really click against Spurs at end the Gareth Bale Jizz fest.

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 5, 2010, 12:16:56 am »
Thought he had a good game today, good run for the penalty aswel.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 5, 2010, 12:19:12 am »
I never understand why Johnson gets so narrow defensively. He sometimes looks glued to Carragher.

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #140 on: November 5, 2010, 12:20:16 am »
A lot of off-target passes tonight from him. Maybe a bit rusty

Good run for the pen
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #141 on: November 5, 2010, 12:30:10 am »

I agree with this. He didn't do much wrong tonight, and did plenty that was right. Every mistake he makes, is treated as typical of him. Every mistake that Ashley Cole makes, and he makes plenty, is treated as untypical. There's a lot of prejudice here. Johnson is a class player.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 5, 2010, 12:36:00 am »
People talk about him being more effective with space in front of him.  Players like Konchesky, Aurelio...Carra...those are the players that need that space.  Glen takes on players and beats them.  He doesn't need this space to make a play.  I didn't see him go on the outside once tonight, into space, to make a cross.  In fact he cut in most of the time.  Moving him up might be an option we should look at.  Anyone seen the way Bale has been lighting it up on the left?  He was LB before he moved up, remember...and a liability.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #143 on: November 5, 2010, 12:38:32 am »
Good post , the media and idiots like aldo think he cant defend and yet kelly is like bloody maldini at the back. Im sorry but glen is very under rated he may lose concentration but kelly doesnt get tight enough to a winger either, constantly allows crosses in. I like the lad hell have a great future at the club but probably at centreback. Personally id rather play kelly at left back till aurelio( if ever) gets fit, becuase konchesky is the real weak link at the back. Btw i think with carras screaming everyone else just seems to nervous to make a mistake and it affects the defensive game.

I am sorry, I am neither "the media" nor an idiot. I am not subject to the British media and as you can imagine there's not a whole lot of commentary on Glen Johnson on the U.S. sports media even the football-specific ones (FSC, etc.)

I still think GJ is a poor defender, his positioning is weak, his reading of the game is suspect, at best. Thank God for his athleticism, for without it he and we would be in major doodoo!

His footballing brain is 'up there' with that of Ryan Babel. Not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to football.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 5, 2010, 12:39:05 am »
People talk about him being more effective with space in front of him.  Players like Konchesky, Aurelio...Carra...those are the players that need that space.  Glen takes on players and beats them.  He doesn't need this space to make a play.  I didn't see him go on the outside once tonight, into space, to make a cross.  In fact he cut in most of the time.  Moving him up might be an option we should look at.  Anyone seen the way Bale has been lighting it up on the left?  He was LB before he moved up, remember...and a liability.

No. He is good going forward because he is joining attacks late. I just dont see why people want to change the position of the best right back in the league! It would also be a silly choice when we have Kuyt, Maxi, Babel, Pacheco, Cole and Jova to play right mid (Raul and Gerrard if we're really stuck) but only Kelly and Carra at right back.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 5, 2010, 12:40:21 am »
I am sorry, I am neither "the media" nor an idiot. I am not subject to the British media and as you can imagine there's not a whole lot of commentary on Glen Johnson on the U.S. sports media even the football-specific ones (FSC, etc.)

I still think GJ is a poor defender, his positioning is weak, his reading of the game is suspect, at best. Thank God for his athleticism, for without it he and we would be in major doodoo!

His footballing brain is 'up there' with that of Ryan Babel. Not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to football.

Urm, did he aim that at you mate?  He didnt quote you.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #146 on: November 5, 2010, 12:41:18 am »

that's a ***** insult.

hell, i think some people started watching him on Aug 23rd 2010 until now.

everyone has forgotten how amazing he was last year, and he'll find his form again.

our best defender last season by a country mile (w/soto), and yet we had the 3rd best defense in the league despite finishing 7th.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 5, 2010, 12:43:37 am »
No. He is good going forward because he is joining attacks late. I just dont see why people want to change the position of the best right back in the league! It would also be a silly choice when we have Kuyt, Maxi, Babel, Pacheco, Cole and Jova to play right mid (Raul and Gerrard if we're really stuck) but only Kelly and Carra at right back.

I just don't think he'd be a bad option at right mid with Kelly behind him.  Not to say he's a bad RB.  I just think he could easily play as a winger and destroy LBs.  He doesn't need space, he doesn't need to "come late".  He has the pace and the ability on the ball to beat players...more so than any of our other players.  Even Nando right now.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 5, 2010, 12:43:57 am »
Urm, did he aim that at you mate?  He didnt quote you.

I understand. I am sorry if I made it appear as if I had thought he had specifically addressed me.

What I meant to say is that one needn't be a dupe of the media or an idiot to not think too highly of GJ as a defender.

In terms of potential, he's virtually peerless.

At his best, he is a scary attacking right-back for midfielders and defenders.

When he's not at his best, he can have moments of brilliance but also some real, real 'brain fart' moments.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: November 5, 2010, 12:45:11 am »
that's a ***** insult.

everyone has forgotten how amazing he was last year, and he'll find his form again.

our best defender last season by a country mile (w/soto), and yet we had the 3rd best defense in the league despite finishing 7th.

I haven't forgotten how amazing he was last year because he actually wasn't all that amazing. In fact, for significant parts of the season (when he wasn't injured) he was quite a ways far from being amazing.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Marko B

• Legacy Fan
  • Ray Osbourne RIP
« Reply #150 on: November 5, 2010, 12:47:00 am »
I never understand why Johnson gets so narrow defensively. He sometimes looks glued to Carragher.

Because that's where the manager tells him to be?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
“I was not fighting for the power. I didn’t need more power. I was fighting for the future of the club.”

Offline RedRaj

• Kopite
« Reply #151 on: November 5, 2010, 12:54:57 am »
that's a ***** insult.

Was he 'amazing' last year?  I would say average at best considering he was 18mil.  I find it worrying that he looks quite sluggish and lacking in confidence when compared to his tenure in Portsmouth.  I think he is still a very good recovery tackler though.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 5, 2010, 01:43:30 am »
I actually didnt aim anything at anyone in particular, i was just meant to say johnson gets alot more stick in the media than other fullbacks. I.e sergio ramos is considered a world class right back by many but his defending isnt actually great, his been tore apart by average wingers, hell even babel gave him a hard time. Mourinho criticised ramos specifically saying his defending was shit, yet the media still consider him a top draw defender. Maicon and dani alves are another example of world class right backs but they have defensive lapses in there game. The best defensive right back ive seen so far is branislav ivanovic, now thats a proper defender there, and not to bad going forward.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #153 on: November 5, 2010, 01:51:15 am »
He was rusty today, so can be forgiven not being on top form. But he was far, far from great. He was terrible for their goal. Yes Poulsen's header was...undescibeably shit, but he failed to either go with Lavezzi or go to the lad with the, just got stranded. 1 quick move and it's in the back of the net. That being said he had a couple of good challenges as well. He wasn't good with the ball at his feet, he got very lucky with the ball for the peno, but credit for being there to win it. What's annoying is that I know he can be far, far better with the right tactics and team setup.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Lille Camille

• richardless
  • Kopite
« Reply #154 on: November 5, 2010, 01:59:02 am »
We should put Carra back in at RB and bench his ass.  How can anyone look at that game and spot Glen for playing poorly.  His passing and ball movement was better than each one of our starting midfielders.

Offline lafuriaroja

• Kopite
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #155 on: November 5, 2010, 02:38:26 am »
Was he 'amazing' last year?  I would say average at best considering he was 18mil.  I find it worrying that he looks quite sluggish and lacking in confidence when compared to his tenure in Portsmouth.  I think he is still a very good recovery tackler though.

The problem is Carra. Play him with Skrtel-Soto at CB and Johnson will look a completely different player.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #156 on: November 5, 2010, 02:39:58 am »
Phil babb was on the irish coverage spouting on about how they should bring on kelly and push johnson foward for something different..
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline lafuriaroja

• Kopite
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #157 on: November 5, 2010, 02:48:03 am »
He was rusty today, so can be forgiven not being on top form. But he was far, far from great. He was terrible for their goal. Yes Poulsen's header was...undescibeably shit, but he failed to either go with Lavezzi or go to the lad with the, just got stranded. 1 quick move and it's in the back of the net. That being said he had a couple of good challenges as well. He wasn't good with the ball at his feet, he got very lucky with the ball for the peno, but credit for being there to win it. What's annoying is that I know he can be far, far better with the right tactics and team setup.

Johnson had no fault in that goal. 100% Poulsen and Carra's fault.

Poulsen- should have dropped back instead of challenging for the header, as Carra had followed Cavani upfield and Spearing was right in the vicinity as well- no need for 3 players within 5 yards. Lavezzi was Poulsen's man to cover as soon as Carra vacated his position. Also at fault for the absolute shit header- no excuse for that at all.

Carra- shouldn't have tailed Cavani upfield and allowed himself to be pulled 15 yards out of position, amateurish defending.

End result after Poulsen and Carra's mistakes- Johnson is isolated with both Lavezzi to his inside and Cavani to the outside and has no covering help. Sure, in hindsight he could have dropped back to cover Lavezzi, and leave Cavani alone, but he was trapped in no man's land because of Poulsen and Carra's lack of discipline.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #158 on: November 5, 2010, 03:04:17 am »
Johnson had no fault in that goal. 100% Poulsen and Carra's fault.

Poulsen- should have dropped back instead of challenging for the header, as Carra had followed Cavani upfield and Spearing was right in the vicinity as well- no need for 3 players within 5 yards. Lavezzi was Poulsen's man to cover as soon as Carra vacated his position. Also at fault for the absolute shit header- no excuse for that at all.

Carra- shouldn't have tailed Cavani upfield and allowed himself to be pulled 15 yards out of position, amateurish defending.

End result after Poulsen and Carra's mistakes- Johnson is isolated with both Lavezzi to his inside and Cavani to the outside and has no covering help. Sure, in hindsight he could have dropped back to cover Lavezzi, and leave Cavani alone, but he was trapped in no man's land because of Poulsen and Carra's lack of discipline.
I'm not looking to scapegoat Johnson for that goal, there's no point, it was shit from header to goal. I agree with you on Carra there, but watch it again and pause it when he wins the header. Johnson's clearly going with Lavezzi and then changes his mind and thinks about going to the ball, in the split second he does that, Lavezzi's gone, neither poulsen or carra can possibly catch him, simple header and it's in the back of the net. You cannot watch that again and tell me that he's got no part in the blame for the goal. Yes he was isolated, but he had to make his mind up and he didn't, leaving himself utterly exposed and bypassed with ease.

Shall we just sum it up that they're all culpable for that mess? Whatever i'm not looking to get into an argument over it :wave.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline lafuriaroja

• Kopite
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #159 on: November 5, 2010, 03:12:42 am »
I'm not looking to scapegoat Johnson for that goal, there's no point, it was shit from header to goal. I agree with you on Carra there, but watch it again and pause it when he wins the header. Johnson's clearly going with Lavezzi and then changes his mind and thinks about going to the ball, in the split second he does that, Lavezzi's gone, neither poulsen or carra can possibly catch him, simple header and it's in the back of the net. You cannot watch that again and tell me that he's got no part in the blame for the goal. Yes he was isolated, but he had to make his mind up and he didn't, leaving himself utterly exposed and bypassed with ease.

Shall we just sum it up that they're all culpable for that mess? Whatever i'm not looking to get into an argument over it :wave.

Shrug, he could have done 'better', but its tough when you're 1v2 against Cavani and Lavezzi because of tactical retardation from Carra and Poulsen. It's a fair point on Johnson, but a vast majority of the blame can only be laid at the feet of Carra and Poulsen.

He could have followed Lavezzi and left Cavani free and Cavani could have still dropped a ball through anyways. I'm not going to blame him because positionally he should be covering Cavani there, and Lavezzi should be Carra/Poulsen's man.