32 (25.4%)
Murphy
4 (3.2%)
Robertson
27 (21.4%)
Allen
9 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: The Snooker thread  (Read 653683 times)

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Re: The Snooker thread
« Reply #12240 on: April 30, 2024, 07:53:16 pm »
Impressed with Jak Jones. Less impressed with the fact that the Crucible this last week has sounded like a TB ward.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12241 on: April 30, 2024, 08:58:01 pm »

Jones has him rattled needs to stay ahead. Needs to end 9-7 up or better tonight.

Bingham should have had a lead but you feel Ronnie will kick into gear tomorrow,

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12242 on: April 30, 2024, 09:03:26 pm »
He might have no c but he plays well at the ruible

Offline Booze And Glory

• Main Stander
« Reply #12243 on: April 30, 2024, 09:03:44 pm »
Register on https://www.wst.tv/news/2024/january/22/2025-crucible-priority---register-now/

They will go on sale shortly after the tournament ends

Dont hang about

They sold out like hot cakes last year, looked all year and only tickets left for matches were £400 ones

They go onsale on the Sunday morning of the Final to those who have pre registered which is worth doing, as by the time they hit general
sale on the Monday there's very little left.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12244 on: April 30, 2024, 10:39:04 pm »
That thing on Higgins is a great read. Bit disturbing reading the lengths and expense the news of the world were willing to go. Encouraging him to drink and piecing together words to, excuse the pun, frame him were 1 thing. But planning to send brazzers to his hotel room is something else. They really were a vile organisation. And it’s mad how that’s stuck with him. I never ever read the full story, I knew it was a set up job but reading that. Jesus

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #12245 on: May 1, 2024, 08:19:24 am »
They go onsale on the Sunday morning of the Final to those who have pre registered which is worth doing, as by the time they hit general
sale on the Monday there's very little left.
yep

absolutely smashed broke after it so not a good time to need to buy, I went with my brother and he wants to go again but he has his wedding later in year so he has enough on too
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12246 on: May 1, 2024, 08:42:19 am »
Not quite sure we’re seeing a 8th title Ronnie here.
Unless he’s marathoning it and slowly working through the gears.

Not sure how I feel about the tight pocket thing. Cant work out if it’s painful to see so many misses or more exciting that players are getting 3/4 chances each per game.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12247 on: May 1, 2024, 08:49:36 am »
It feels like the table on the right as the commentators sit plays better than the other one. But Dennis Taylor also pointed out a quirk of that table in that nearly every break off was leaving two reds right beside the black which was bizarre.

The player I have been most impressed with is Jak Jones and he is actually unlucky to be only level. He will probably regret the fact that IMO he should be at least 9-7 up. If you had to pick a winner regardless of the names I think it would have to come from Wilson, Jones or Gilbert but I'd be amazed if any of them will do it.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12248 on: May 1, 2024, 09:17:04 am »
Not sure how I feel about the tight pocket thing. Cant work out if it’s painful to see so many misses or more exciting that players are getting 3/4 chances each per game.

Been wondering that myself. Snooker is one of the only sports when it can become more exciting when the standard drops a bit.

The thing with the tight pockets confuses me a bit. Do they not use the same pocket template for every tournament? When people say oh the pockets are tight are they talking a millimeter or a centimeter?

Maybe it won't be an issue when it gets down to one table anyway.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Booze And Glory

• Main Stander
« Reply #12249 on: May 1, 2024, 10:38:13 am »
yep

absolutely smashed broke after it so not a good time to need to buy, I went with my brother and he wants to go again but he has his wedding later in year so he has enough on too

I was planning on going the opening day this year if there was any tickets left by the time I got onto the webpage last year, as I'm normally waiting over an hour, but was in after just 15 mins, and plans immediately changed as managed to bag tickets for both sessions of the final on Monday and the Sunday evening as well. Cost me way more than I was looking to pay, but well looking forward to it now, and may never get the chance to go to the final again.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12250 on: May 1, 2024, 10:47:54 am »
Been wondering that myself. Snooker is one of the only sports when it can become more exciting when the standard drops a bit.

The thing with the tight pockets confuses me a bit. Do they not use the same pocket template for every tournament? When people say oh the pockets are tight are they talking a millimeter or a centimeter?

Maybe it won't be an issue when it gets down to one table anyway.

Yeah I'm confused by this. What makes a middle pocket play tight? And also, why are middle pockets 'harder' than corner pockets? There must, I imagine, be a really simple answer to this one re geometry but I'm too bad at this sort of thing to know what it is.

Re Ronnie's form - i've seen a bit of him in the 1st and 2nd round. That opening session yesterday wasn't representative of what he's been so far. And he's still at 4-4, can't believe he'll play worse in other sessions.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12251 on: May 1, 2024, 10:54:32 am »
Not quite sure we’re seeing a 8th title Ronnie here.
Unless he’s marathoning it and slowly working through the gears.

They've been using these tables all season apparently. May be why certain players haven't done as well this season? Players were calling the pockets "buckets" last season as they were so giving.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12252 on: May 1, 2024, 11:00:46 am »
Yeah I'm confused by this. What makes a middle pocket play tight? And also, why are middle pockets 'harder' than corner pockets? There must, I imagine, be a really simple answer to this one re geometry but I'm too bad at this sort of thing to know what it is.

Re Ronnie's form - i've seen a bit of him in the 1st and 2nd round. That opening session yesterday wasn't representative of what he's been so far. And he's still at 4-4, can't believe he'll play worse in other sessions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/snooker/comments/1cgyi7y/all_the_talk_of_the_tight_pockets_this_year_heres/

RE the tighter pockets. I think it's the rubber along the cushion and tapered into the pocket. Even less than a mm can make a big difference.

For the middle pockets vs corner, the pocket openings are rounded. In the corner pockets, they can bounce off each corner and go in more easily than the middle pockets, which are 180.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2024, 11:02:47 am by Peabee »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12253 on: May 1, 2024, 11:02:31 am »
I was planning on going the opening day this year if there was any tickets left by the time I got onto the webpage last year, as I'm normally waiting over an hour, but was in after just 15 mins, and plans immediately changed as managed to bag tickets for both sessions of the final on Monday and the Sunday evening as well. Cost me way more than I was looking to pay, but well looking forward to it now, and may never get the chance to go to the final again.
oh good for you, I am sure you wont regret it

Definitely seems sloppy so far, even if he got past Ryan Day handy enough he wasnt playing that well

They've been using these tables all season apparently. May be why certain players haven't done as well this season? Players were calling the pockets "buckets" last season as they were so giving.
They dont half go on about the pocket size but I dont mind it being harder, as I said on Friday I dont mind a tactical battle at times, would be boring if every frame someone rattled in a century

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12254 on: May 1, 2024, 11:04:33 am »
oh good for you, I am sure you wont regret it Definitely seems sloppy so far, even if he got past Ryan Day handy enough he wasnt playing that well
 They dont half go on about the pocket size but I dont mind it being harder, as I said on Friday I dont mind a tactical battle at times, would be boring if every frame someone rattled in a century

Yeah, hence why players who rely on potting heavily over safety, like Brecel and Si, did well last season but not this season.

Offline Gerard00

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12255 on: May 1, 2024, 11:22:28 am »
This has been a real scrappy affair and to be fair to Judd I think he's had the old cliched 'bad run of the balls'. Credit to Jak Jones as hes kept it that way and kept the pressure on him throughout the match always managing to keep his nose ahead.

I think Ronnie wins it but would also be good to see someone new win it too.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12256 on: May 1, 2024, 11:38:51 am »
This has been a real scrappy affair and to be fair to Judd I think he's had the old cliched 'bad run of the balls'. Credit to Jak Jones as hes kept it that way and kept the pressure on him throughout the match always managing to keep his nose ahead.

I’m not convinced Trump has had any more ‘running’ than Jones to be honest. I think Trump is playing more cautiously than usual; Jones always plays well against him, and I genuinely think Trump is conflicted as to the best approach. Jones has been a very mature mixture of brave when needed, and very shrewd with his safety.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12257 on: May 1, 2024, 11:42:31 am »
Oof. 2 more frames needed for Jones.

Trump's pot success is only 85%...

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12258 on: May 1, 2024, 11:51:51 am »
Yeah, hence why players who rely on potting heavily over safety, like Brecel and Si, did well last season but not this season.
Am I right in saying Brecel has never won a match at the crucible outside of 2023?

I am not convinced on Ronnie but maybe he will come good

Stuart Bingham isnt a walkover either

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12259 on: May 1, 2024, 11:55:33 am »
Am I right in saying Brecel has never won a match at the crucible outside of 2023?
 I am not convinced on Ronnie but maybe he will come good

Stuart Bingham isnt a walkover either

Yeah. Mad record.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12260 on: May 1, 2024, 12:03:24 pm »
Yeah. Mad record.
I knew he would go out in the first round this year, the odds werent good enough to back it and I didnt really pay much attention to the first 3 days or so

But mind you going out in the first round as the defending champion for the first time can happen to the best of them, ask Steve Davis

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12261 on: May 1, 2024, 12:05:43 pm »

This is a great match tactically. Jones has somehow got Trump to tighten up and miss pots he would normally make by playing excellent safety. Jones has missed some bad balls himself but he’s definitely got into Trump’s ahead about the run of the ball.

Offline Booze And Glory

• Main Stander
« Reply #12262 on: May 1, 2024, 12:05:55 pm »
Higgins struggling against Wilson this morning, just can't get going

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12263 on: May 1, 2024, 12:20:06 pm »
https://www.reddit.com/r/snooker/comments/1cgyi7y/all_the_talk_of_the_tight_pockets_this_year_heres/

RE the tighter pockets. I think it's the rubber along the cushion and tapered into the pocket. Even less than a mm can make a big difference.

For the middle pockets vs corner, the pocket openings are rounded. In the corner pockets, they can bounce off each corner and go in more easily than the middle pockets, which are 180.

Holy shit that's a fantastic link, cheers.

Not a shadow of a doubt about it now, and I liked this comment in that Reddit thread:

"My theory is they will make the pockets tight at the crucible then when worlds move to Saudi they will be gaping chasms, create mirage of better snooker etc etc"

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12264 on: May 1, 2024, 12:23:55 pm »
There's a potentially legendarily tough snooker being setup in the Trump match here.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12265 on: May 1, 2024, 12:29:41 pm »
There's a potentially legendarily tough snooker being setup in the Trump match here.
Was surprised he conceded

Offline Booze And Glory

• Main Stander
« Reply #12266 on: May 1, 2024, 12:47:25 pm »
Was surprised he conceded

Think he realised if the Yellow went it was all over, and had the yellow not gone he'd have been put in a snooker
that was impossible to get out of.

Great Win for Jones

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12267 on: May 1, 2024, 12:49:00 pm »

With Trump out I just wonder if Ronnie puts his foot on the gas now. He’ll never have a better chance of an 8th. That’s not to discount Jones in a potential semi but I can see a natural let down after such a huge win.

Offline Booze And Glory

• Main Stander
« Reply #12268 on: May 1, 2024, 01:54:21 pm »
Higgins fought back well there, he was struggling before the match on the other table finished

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #12269 on: May 1, 2024, 03:13:25 pm »
Snooker really is more entertaining when it's shit. Hilarious frame going on between O'Sullivan/Bingham.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12270 on: May 1, 2024, 03:30:55 pm »
Wow, shocker from Bingham for an easy frame and will now lose it

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #12271 on: May 1, 2024, 04:13:28 pm »
Ronnie is in his own head there.

Should have just potted it

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12272 on: May 1, 2024, 04:15:45 pm »
That really was very odd.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12273 on: May 1, 2024, 04:16:16 pm »
Disagree massively, I think he did the right thing by not taking the pot. I think his positional shot was poor and he wasn't on the red anyway.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #12274 on: May 1, 2024, 04:17:28 pm »
Ronnie is in his own head there.

Should have just potted it
Very sporting though. Thought the black wasn't spotted correctly so gave up the pot.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #12275 on: May 1, 2024, 04:20:21 pm »
Very sporting though. Thought the black wasn't spotted correctly so gave up the pot.

I kind of get it. But the ref was happy with the black placement. Bingham wasn't particularly arsed. Should have just potted it and been done with it

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12276 on: May 1, 2024, 04:23:15 pm »
I kind of get it. But the ref was happy with the black placement. Bingham wasn't particularly arsed. Should have just potted it and been done with it

The guy is a perfectionist, which clearly applies to the balls being on their spot too.  ;D

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12277 on: May 1, 2024, 04:23:45 pm »
Whatever, it definitely seemed to rattle him for the rest of the frame.

Oddness going on in the winter gardens too by the looks of it.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12278 on: May 1, 2024, 04:33:45 pm »
What’s the winter gardens?

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #12279 on: May 1, 2024, 04:40:54 pm »
Who had Dave Gilbert and Jak Jones as the first two confirmed semi finalists? ;D
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now