Author Topic: Tom Hicks paying fans to blog.  (Read 6399 times)

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Tom Hicks paying fans to blog.
« on: June 30, 2010, 03:20:06 pm »
Tom Hicks, the Dallas investor who Forbes magazine says was worth $1 billion last year, drew an annual salary of $183,504 through May and received another $14,452 in expenses from the Texas Rangers, which declared voluntary bankruptcy in May.
The American League West leader also disclosed that its gross revenues totaled $167 million in 2009, up 12 percent from the year before when proceeds added up to $149 million.
That and other tightly held confidential information was released by the ballclub, including president Nolan Ryan's $1.5 million annual salary through May as well as thousands paid out this year to a Dallas attorney who writes what has been generally considered an independent blog about the team.
Ryan's salary became news when the New York Daily News recently claimed that the Hall-of-Famer earned $9 million a year as club president.
The court document filed by the team said he received $1,540,527 for the 12 months ending May 24, and $85,750 in expenses.
Jamison "Jamey" Newberg, who operates a popular website, The Newberg Report, was paid $27,125 by the team from February through April, according to the court document filed late Monday.
Newberg said the payments likely were for books he sold the club. And while he received no money for his blog, the Rangers did finance his family's trip to spring training in Surprise, Ariz.
A lengthy 2004 Dallas Observer article described Newberg's blog as a must-read for fans and even baseball beat writers and team officials who, it said, were initially suspicious of Newberg.
There is no disclaimer on his blog site that Newberg has been paid for services to the Rangers. Near the end of the Observer piece, the weekly said: "Perhaps one day Newberg will finally get what he wants — a shot at working for a big-league club."
The Rangers declared bankruptcy on May 24 to unblock liens placed on the team by major lenders who opposed what has become a $575 million sale to a group headed by Pittsburgh sports attorney Chuck Greenberg and Ryan, who would stay on as president.
Although described as a "pre-packaged" bankruptcy, the reorganization plan has been vigorously challenged by the lenders.
Owed $525 million in loans on which the team defaulted in March 2009, they believe the team is worth more than what the group is offering. They unsuccessfully tried to postpone the July 9 date on which U.S. Judge Michael Lynn could confirm the bankruptcy plan — and sale to the Greenberg-Ryan group. But Lynn, in reverting to the original date last week, warned the team and the buyers' group that they risked seeing the plan rejected.
Bankruptcy is expensive. Weil Gotshal & Manges were paid $2.9 million from March 1 through May 31, according to the filing. One PR company, the LeMaster Group of Dallas, was paid $42,500 this spring and another, Kekst & Co. of New York, pocketed $95,000. Other advisers received $182,000.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/06/29/2302315/tom-hicks-draws-183k-salary-from.html#ixzz0sLW23D6T

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Tom Hicks paying fans to blog.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 03:20:57 pm »
Hmmm, wonder how much Jimmy Kuntwar is getting?  (amongst others!)

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:26:12 pm »
he can pay me if he likes
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 05:29:59 pm »

Me too. I will do it for 1% of the club per week. However, there is a very high likelihood that I tell him to fuck off in 51 weeks
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:48:04 pm »
Hmmm, wonder how much Jimmy Kuntwar is getting?  (amongst others!)

Indeed.  Lot's of them around on the payroll imo.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 08:49:30 pm »
Indeed.  Lot's of them around on the payroll imo.

Starting with David "cunting fuckwit" Maddock.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 08:50:27 pm »
Loads on here as well.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:03:20 pm »

A good stooge always deflects attention away from himself.

I'm on to you!
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 09:08:08 pm »

Cheque would bounce

Offline caze

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 09:09:53 pm »
Any journalist would be happy enough with a source of info to keep his editor happy, I doubt very much he needs to be paid off too.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 09:10:04 pm »
wonder what accounts he is using to pay that from.
Probably just go straight towards the debt

Offline lcjpm01

• Kopite
  • Sealed off car park.Whats it all about??
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 09:16:56 pm »
SSN got 4 fans to say the support Roy. Given only about 6% support this then I suspect SSN interviewed about 74 people to get four pro Roy or they were CP plants. Lord Haw Haw has fod all on these cnuts

Offline RC Cook

• Boys Pen
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 09:18:35 pm »
Hey all,

Dallas resident here, member of the Texas LFC supporters' chapter, and also a massive Texas Rangers fan. Just peeking out from my usual lurking for a few minutes to set the record straight on the Rangers' payments to Jamey Newberg.

Jamey is pretty much the Paul Tomkins of the Rangers- a passionate fan who has his own newsletter, while providing paid official content for the club's website, game programs, and in-game video presentations. I've known Jamey personally for nearly a decade, and while he is an unabashed fan of the Rangers, he's hardly a management shill or an apologist for Tom Hicks.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 09:36:07 pm »
Hey all,

Dallas resident here, member of the Texas LFC supporters' chapter, and also a massive Texas Rangers fan. Just peeking out from my usual lurking for a few minutes to set the record straight on the Rangers' payments to Jamey Newberg.

Jamey is pretty much the Paul Tomkins of the Rangers- a passionate fan who has his own newsletter, while providing paid official content for the club's website, game programs, and in-game video presentations. I've known Jamey personally for nearly a decade, and while he is an unabashed fan of the Rangers, he's hardly a management shill or an apologist for Tom Hicks.

Howdy Tom

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 09:47:32 pm »
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline lcjpm01

• Kopite
  • Sealed off car park.Whats it all about??
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 09:49:43 pm »
He's Been here since Nov 2007. Interesting RC as well as Tom

Offline RC Cook

• Boys Pen
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 09:52:18 pm »
Howdy Tom

Nope, not Hicks, or anyone connected to him. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  ;D

Just a fellow Liverpool (and Texas Rangers) fan who has known Newberg for over a decade, and wanted to provide some perspective on the Star-Telegram article.

Offline therockbox

• Legacy Fan
  • Funklord
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 09:52:31 pm »
Made you laugh? It's made my fucking blood boil mate.  Hypocritical twats.
I have a bit of sympathy with them.  They deluded themselves into thinking Rafa would go and we'd have Mourinho, Hiddink and Van Gaal fighting each other with sticks to take over, then Roy Hodgson appeared on the horizon...

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 09:55:44 pm »
I have a bit of sympathy with them.  They deluded themselves into thinking Rafa would go and we'd have Mourinho, Hiddink and Van Gaal fighting each other with sticks to take over, then Roy Hodgson appeared on the horizon...
That's exactly why I fucking despise them, no sympathy here.

Offline RC Cook

• Boys Pen
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 10:02:07 pm »
He's Been here since Nov 2007. Interesting RC as well as Tom

My real name's Rob Cook- like I said, longtime lurker, very infrequent poster. I'm in the Dallas supporters' chapter with 4Pool (Mel) if you feel the need to check up on me.  ;)

Offline Dr Manhattan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 10:22:06 pm »

Amen. Idiots, the lot of them.

Offline BrettD

• Legacy Fan
    • Want an accessible website? Click here!
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 11:00:13 pm »

+1

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 11:18:41 pm »

Couldn't agree more with you mate. I'd call them simpletons, but then that would be an insult to decent simpletons everywhere.

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: July 1, 2010, 12:17:51 am »
Indeed. The thing that has made me laugh is the ones that were desperate for Rafa to go having a pop at those that dare question Roy's credentials. Marvellous. I know a forum would be pretty dull without different opinions, but Hitler had the right idea.

I think you really need to remove the Hitler comment as its not very smart.
'Transalpino 1978

Offline biratl

• Anny Roader
  • ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
« Reply #24 on: July 1, 2010, 04:20:48 pm »
I think you really need to remove the Hitler comment as its not very smart.

What's wrong? The Hitler reference was used to make a point. Stop trying to get "offended".
« Last Edit: July 1, 2010, 04:30:56 pm by biratl »
If H&G told me the time, I'd check me watch at least 3 times.. twice to see they was telling the truth, and once to see if they'd stole it.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 1, 2010, 04:56:36 pm »
What I'd like to know more about is links with print journalists and feature writers, plus certain pundits on Setanta and ESPN.  What had always struck me as suspicious, long before this new revelation, is how similar many of their comments were, as if they had each been given the same cribsheet.  Universally, the worst possible interpretation of anything that Rafa ever did was always made.  If the claims that were made about Rafa's motivations were true, then Rafa would belong in a loony bin.  He could have issued claims for defamation on a weekly basis if he had been so minded.

As has been the comments on the search process and Hodgson.

Seems CP has been briefing against Rafa almost since day 1.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 1, 2010, 09:40:51 pm »
Loads on here as well.

Yup including TTNBD in my opinion who positions himself as the financial whizz of rawk when in reality all he has done since day one of the yank ownership is defend their ownership model.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #27 on: July 1, 2010, 09:47:37 pm »
Yup including TTNBD in my opinion who positions himself as the financial whizz of rawk when in reality all he has done since day one of the yank ownership is defend their ownership model.

Oh do fuck off mate.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.