Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 593273 times)

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #13640 on: April 30, 2024, 10:34:29 am »
It's not about accepting being shite, it's about preaching patience. Long term, I'm sure everyone expects titles and trophies, but laying the foundations can be hard in the first year of managing a team.
Slot doesn't need to lay any foundations as the mansion is already built, he just needs to deal with a bit of snagging and keep on top of the maintenance.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13641 on: April 30, 2024, 10:35:46 am »
A true 6 would be nice, for starters. I think many of our defensive issues stem from a lack of players in that position, or players in that position who shouldn't really be playing every match / are still adjusting to the league (like Endo). Saying that Klopp plays without this kind of players is nonsense. Just look at Fabinho.

I think there is a mentality shift thats needed as well, i just think the whole squad has lost the desire to defend really, really well. Look at Trent off the ball, he is practically a non-entity. On corners, its only Van Dijk that tries to be dominant.

Tactically as well, we need to look at it again. Clearly our 2 and 3 buildup does work in that we are still easy to get at during turnovers. I think its too simplistic to say a 6 sorts this, defending requires the whole team.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13642 on: April 30, 2024, 10:39:14 am »
If we were to finish 6th as an example, it probably depends as to how we got there as to how Slot will be received and how much pressure he will be under. If we're 6th for the entire season without any improvement, then there will obviously be calls for his head. However, if we end up 6th after being absolutely shit for the first half the season then going on title winning form for the 2nd half of the season then there will be much positivity around him.

One of the thing about Rodgers' first season was that we showed clear signs of improvement, which gave him some grace despite us not finishing in the top 4. Dalglish the year before finished in a similar place but we got worse as the season progressed.

Different scenarios though. Look at Rodgers team, he was starting the season with the likes of Suso, Sterling, Borini and Suarez as his attack. We can't compare it to the squad now. It was also a very different club and at that time top four was almost like a utopia for us, he wasnt under that much pressure.

We are in a much different place as a squad and club now. If we finished 6th then it doesn't matter how we finished, the season would have been utter shite. We would have been surpassed by 3 different clubs and very likely one or two with new managers themselves.

If we finish 6th then for me, Slot is 6 months of poor performance from the sack.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #13643 on: April 30, 2024, 10:40:14 am »
Also, we need to return pushing the domestic cups to the bottom of our priorities. If we identify who will start the majority of league and CL games then those players should play no part in the domestic cups until at least the semi-final. We have really talented kids and we should trust them and if we go out we go out. I think we did Arsenal a favour by kicking them out of the FA Cup as they had more time to prepare for the league.

At least the League Cup.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13644 on: April 30, 2024, 10:42:15 am »
If we finish 6th then for me, Slot is 6 months of poor performance from the sack.
I'd go even further and say mediocre or even inconsistent performance won't be sufficient.

You don't wait until the alloys start grating and sparking against the tarmac, before changing the tyre.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 10:44:25 am by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13645 on: April 30, 2024, 10:42:40 am »
I think there is a mentality shift thats needed as well, i just think the whole squad has lost the desire to defend really, really well. Look at Trent off the ball, he is practically a non-entity. On corners, its only Van Dijk that tries to be dominant.
Indeed, Trent's performance during the derby was infuriating and emblematic of our defense this season. However, I do believe it all starts with a steadfast lock on the defensive door.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13646 on: April 30, 2024, 10:43:16 am »
At least the League Cup.
Yeah, wouldn't give up on the FA Cup too easily to be honest.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #13647 on: April 30, 2024, 10:53:07 am »
Its in part due to our obsession with inverting the full backs. It forces the two of our central midfielders out wide and makes it difficult to control games from midfield with an added bonus for the opposition of having our whole right defensive side covered by just one defender when they break on the attack. I'm hoping he stops it but from what I've read he's a fan of it.

Agree. It seems he has used it at times, but that could be down to personnel? He also plays with 2 in midfield in a 4-2-3-1. Klopp plays with 2 wide 8s, so there is more space for the inverted FB. Will be interesting to see what tweaks he'll make to his traditional tactics here with these players.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #13648 on: April 30, 2024, 10:54:21 am »
Also, we need to return pushing the domestic cups to the bottom of our priorities. If we identify who will start the majority of league and CL games then those players should play no part in the domestic cups until at least the semi-final. We have really talented kids and we should trust them and if we go out we go out. I think we did Arsenal a favour by kicking them out of the FA Cup as they had more time to prepare for the league.

They already are bottom of our priorities. We do have a good squad and it should only get better from here but I'm not satisfied just seeing teams of kids go out because we'll eventually pay the price. Thinking like Arsenal do in the domestic cups and Europa League is what leads teams to years without trophies. I know Wenger always took the FA Cup seriously but he had years of success to his name. For all their good work in the league in the last two seasons it seems they'll now end it without silver again.

I'm not particularly confident about our chances in the league and European Cup under a new manager, I'll be honest. Fall short in those, and I expect we will, I certainly hope the cups haven't been thrown to kids or the coming years have the potential of being pretty barren, or to put it another way, shite. Hopefully he'll do what Klopp has done over the past few years and pick Cup sides respective of the opposition we play.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13649 on: April 30, 2024, 11:02:37 am »
Explain to me these foundations? Good players? Pressing style? A club geared towards success? Backroom staff?

What are these foundations that we need to bed in that will take a supposed good manager over a year or two to bed in?

Nobody is demanding success, but as Klopp said early on, CL qualification is the minimum standard for our club.

It's a fair question, but the nature of it kind of illustrates my point. We're not building from scratch, but getting a new manager in inevitably leads to a bit of a renovation. So the progress we need isn't necessarily easily measurable, it's more nuanced than finishing top 4 or winning a cup.

I think unless it's really obvious that Slot isn't the right fit, league position isn't overly important in the first year. It's about him getting the club, communicating well with the fans, establishing his system and style of play, improving players, moving on the right players if needed. If those things are happening, I could take a year of less pleasing results. I'm also not saying that I don't think we will finish top 4 - I think we probably will - it's more the language around "demands" and "minimum expectations" that I find a little unpalatable.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13650 on: April 30, 2024, 11:06:39 am »
It's a fair question, but the nature of it kind of illustrates my point. We're not building from scratch, but getting a new manager in inevitably leads to a bit of a renovation. So the progress we need isn't necessarily easily measurable, it's more nuanced than finishing top 4 or winning a cup.

I think unless it's really obvious that Slot isn't the right fit, league position isn't overly important in the first year. It's about him getting the club, communicating well with the fans, establishing his system and style of play, improving players, moving on the right players if needed. If those things are happening, I could take a year of less pleasing results. I'm also not saying that I don't think we will finish top 4 - I think we probably will - it's more the language around "demands" and "minimum expectations" that I find a little unpalatable.

I think its fair to say I'd have thought that during the interview, the club will be saying that to Slot. Pretty sure Klopp has said in the past he was always told top 4 was a minimum
Jurgen YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13651 on: April 30, 2024, 11:08:43 am »

Minimum expectations and demands go hand in hand with being a supposed big club. We have a massive wage bill, not finishing in CL hinders our ability to sign top footballers.

If expectations scare people then quite frankly they dont understand our level. We are not some plucky club hoping to do well with years of hand holding. We need to perform and deliver, thats the job.

Online Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13652 on: April 30, 2024, 11:18:30 am »
I think its fair to say I'd have thought that during the interview, the club will be saying that to Slot. Pretty sure Klopp has said in the past he was always told top 4 was a minimum

And even he didn't quite manage it every year. Football seasons are weird, strange things can happen.

Minimum expectations and demands go hand in hand with being a supposed big club. We have a massive wage bill, not finishing in CL hinders our ability to sign top footballers.

If expectations scare people then quite frankly they dont understand our level. We are not some plucky club hoping to do well with years of hand holding. We need to perform and deliver, thats the job.

I get your point, but for me it's about having a long term view over demanding immediate success. Those two things don't always go hand in hand - sometimes they do, of course - but I'd rather feel like we had the right person in the job for the long term, even if they have a tricky season, as opposed to binning them after a tough first season in the hope that the next manager fix will get us where we need to be. I prefer long term thinking to the Chelsea approach.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13653 on: April 30, 2024, 11:20:43 am »
I wonder how people would feel if Slot chose to develop Baj rather than buy a 6. Personally, I don't know how I would feel about that but I don't there are many quality number 6s not already at big clubs.

It's not his decision is it?  As head coach he'll be coaching and developing the players that he's given.  It'll be up to the new Sporting Director, with Edwards of course being involved, whether or not a new #6 is brought in. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13654 on: April 30, 2024, 11:25:35 am »

Tactically as well, we need to look at it again. Clearly our 2 and 3 buildup does work in that we are still easy to get at during turnovers. I think its too simplistic to say a 6 sorts this, defending requires the whole team.

I don't know enough about the new manager to speculate how he'll have us playing but I'm hoping we build up with a little more patience and have a little more control over the game.  That, and probably a change in our positional play would likely help us be better on the defensive side of the game. 

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13655 on: April 30, 2024, 11:25:48 am »
And even he didn't quite manage it every year. Football seasons are weird, strange things can happen.

I get your point, but for me it's about having a long term view over demanding immediate success. Those two things don't always go hand in hand - sometimes they do, of course - but I'd rather feel like we had the right person in the job for the long term, even if they have a tricky season, as opposed to binning them after a tough first season in the hope that the next manager fix will get us where we need to be. I prefer long term thinking to the Chelsea approach.

Top four isnt success.

Online Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13656 on: April 30, 2024, 11:28:15 am »
Top four isnt success.

Semantics. Replace the word success for minimum expectations and my post still makes the same point.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13657 on: April 30, 2024, 11:33:01 am »
Semantics. Replace the word success for minimum expectations and my post still makes the same point.

If we are not meeting our minimum expectations then basically the club has fucked its manager search. Its that simple.

I can accept a sluggish start, finishing strong in top four and being a way off Arsenal and City. I cant accept fivth or sixth.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 11:36:57 am by killer-heels »

Online Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13658 on: April 30, 2024, 11:36:16 am »
If we are not meeting our minimum expectations then basically the club has fucked its manager search. Its that simple.

I can accept a sluggish start, finishing strong in top four and being a way off Arsenal and City. I cant accept fourth or fifth.

It's just way too specific and way too immediate, in my opinion. We're losing the best manager in the world, there's probably room for an adjustment period. Like I said, we might hit the ground running, and I suspect we'll still be a very good team next year. I'm just not demanding it. I'm quite looking forward to a year without intense pressure to be honest.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #13659 on: April 30, 2024, 11:41:01 am »
It's not his decision is it?  As head coach he'll be coaching and developing the players that he's given.  It'll be up to the new Sporting Director, with Edwards of course being involved, whether or not a new #6 is brought in. 

I would hope that if they plan to spend 50-100 Million on someone who might not be needed they ask the manager first

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #13660 on: April 30, 2024, 11:42:56 am »
It's just way too specific and way too immediate, in my opinion. We're losing the best manager in the world, there's probably room for an adjustment period. Like I said, we might hit the ground running, and I suspect we'll still be a very good team next year. I'm just not demanding it. I'm quite looking forward to a year without intense pressure to be honest.

I am obviously as sad as everyone else about the boss leaving, but that doesn`t mean I can`t be excited about the new fella coming in and seeing how it works. I agree with you that a year of getting used to his system, seeing how the players adapt and what he can get out of them will mean that pressure, to some extent, will be off a little. I also agree with Killer though. With the players we have, then top 4 really should be the minimum requirement.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13661 on: April 30, 2024, 11:47:16 am »
I would hope that if they plan to spend 50-100 Million on someone who might not be needed they ask the manager first

Of course he'll be involved in the discussions but the final decision isn't going to be his. 

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13662 on: April 30, 2024, 11:55:07 am »
Of course he'll be involved in the discussions but the final decision isn't going to be his. 

It's most likely a joint decision.

I'm not sure why everybody is expecting  Edwards and Hughes to act like dictators that will have their way, and go over the head of the "head coach" for no reason at all.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13663 on: April 30, 2024, 12:00:42 pm »
It's most likely a joint decision.

I'm not sure why everybody is expecting  Edwards and Hughes to act like dictators that will have their way, and go over the head of the "head coach" for no reason at all.

It's not everybody, it's mostly just one unsurprising person ;D
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13664 on: April 30, 2024, 12:02:42 pm »

Agreed - I'm going to judge him on the football itself, but barring a major injury crisis/players fucking off, we should finish top 3 based on our squad and the other teams and how poor they are.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13665 on: April 30, 2024, 12:03:18 pm »
I am obviously as sad as everyone else about the boss leaving, but that doesn`t mean I can`t be excited about the new fella coming in and seeing how it works. I agree with you that a year of getting used to his system, seeing how the players adapt and what he can get out of them will mean that pressure, to some extent, will be off a little. I also agree with Killer though. With the players we have, then top 4 really should be the minimum requirement.
Our big players wouldn't be happy if we don't qualify for the CL.

That's the base level really.

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #13666 on: April 30, 2024, 12:32:28 pm »
A true 6 would be nice, for starters. I think many of our defensive issues stem from a lack of players in that position, or players in that position who shouldn't really be playing every match / are still adjusting to the league (like Endo). Saying that Klopp plays without this kind of players is nonsense. Just look at Fabinho.

Our four best seasons under Klopp, August 2018 to June 2022, were also prime Fabinho.

Klopp's first two years the team was open, conceding easy chances but scoring plenty too, games were rollercoasters, none more so than 5-4 at Norwich.

We then made three key signings. Virgil in Jan '18, followed by Fabinho and Ali in summer '18. We became watertight from then on.

As brilliant as Virgil was for us in those first six months, and he was superb, we were still open (not as much, but still open). The games vs Roma (7-6 agg), had that semi gone on another 10 minutes, it would have gone to extra time and then it was anybody's (with such momentum it's likely we wouldn't have got to Kiev).

The disaster in goal was replaced with Ali, so that was an enormous upgrade.

But of all three changes, for me the biggest difference has always been Fabinho. He plugged the midfield, the leakages stopped, and the workload on our backline (and gk) fell. "The lighthouse" moniker was apt, as he was the one, being in such a pivotal position on the field, in the zone where alot of attacks are initiated, who saw danger and put it out.

In the 20 to 21 season, we were top of the league at Christmas despite having no senior centre backs. In the midst of that disgraceful transfer window from the owners, Jurgen decides to move Fabinho (and Hendo) into central defence, and suddenly, without the midfield protection, we start losing games on the spin (6 in total). He then moves them back into midfield. And we then put Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips into centre half (not exactly Baresi and Beckenbauer), and we go in title winning form. The midfield, namely Fabinho as the DM, closed off the danger at source, so the stuff the centre backs were having to deal with was the basics (crosses into the box, bread and butter clearances), without a Fabinho infront of them they'd have got rinsed (without a Didi Hamann infront of an infinitely superior Carragher and Hyppia in Istanbul they did get rinsed, with Kaka given the freedom to slide balls through them at will, a supply to the forwards that was only cut off when the Kaiser came on at half time).

The 22 to 23 season, Virgil was still there, Ali was still there, but we became as open (in fact even more open) as pre 2018. The difference was Fabinho, his collapse. All of a sudden the backline was massively overworked, Ali had never been busier (i'd guess he made more astonishing saves that season than the previous 4 together). The easy access to our final third, which was not there for the previous four years, was shocking, we fell off a cliff as Fabinho fell off a cliff.

What I find most staggering is Klopp's oversight on this. His teams press high, which leaves us exposed on the counter, making it extra imperative to have a top class DM putting out fires (ie. Fabinho "the lighthouse" for four years) when teams break. A compact team (for example Rafa), where the midfielders stay close to each other, that need (while still there) isn't as glaring. Without that key component Klopp's team doesn't function, which has been the case for four seasons, two seasons either side of having a top class DM. When asked about the lack of mobility in the 6 this year he said the midfield would have to "stay close to each other", ie. babysit the 6 so as not to expose him, but that is completely counter to his game, one based on risk where the DM then takes up the slack.

Every player on a team is a "defender", for instance the striker putting pressure on the opposition defender who has the ball (Ian Rush I always thought was our best offensive defender the way he harried the backline), but the first actual defender, the person whose prime job it is to stop attacks against us, is the defensive midfielder, and he is the one who exerts the most influence by stopping them at source.

The first thing that should be looked at when someone says "the defence wasnt good", is the DM. He is the first port of call in the defensive unit. It's why when building a defence, the first position you get right is the DM. With what could be generously considered a championship level centre back pairing (Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips) we could well have won a league title with them had Fabinho not been moved from DM when he was. Real Madrid, with all those stars in the back line, in midfield, and attack, yet when Makelele left they became flaky, ie. wide open, as the DM, the only who holds the thing together, was gone. All the players maligned that sale, he was not "glamorous"; the role isnt glamorous, but its crucial.

Kante, has there been a more influential player over the past 10 years? Leicester, Chelsea, and France, the first two league champions, the latter world champions, and it goes without saying he was crucial to that happening. Wes Morgan and Robert Huth, again not exactly a quality CB pairing (maybe lower mid table?) yet they have a league winners medal in their cupboard. Everytime they take it out to look at they should be thanking the elite DM who screened anything that happened infront of them, as without him the only thing they'd have had to look back on was a battle in staying up. Paul Pogba, without Kante doing all his defensive work he would never have got the freedom or platform to do what he did with France.

The Roy Evans team, the one player we never had was a DM. We were entertaining to watch, too entertaining, as that midfield was wide open. Barnes and Redknapp (or Michael Thomas) in central midfield, it's no bleedin wonder we never got to the next level. United had Roy Keane. The season where Roy Keane was out for the season United didn't win the league.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 12:52:19 pm by KC7 »

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13667 on: April 30, 2024, 01:01:08 pm »
Top four isnt success.
the bottom 16 would disagree vehemently.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13668 on: April 30, 2024, 01:07:08 pm »
the bottom 16 would disagree vehemently.

We have what, the 4th or so highest wage bill in the country? We must be mismanaged then if top four is success.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #13669 on: April 30, 2024, 01:11:11 pm »
Our four best seasons under Klopp, August 2018 to June 2022, were also prime Fabinho.

Klopp's first two years the team was open, conceding easy chances but scoring plenty too, games were rollercoasters, none more so than 5-4 at Norwich.

We then made three key signings. Virgil in Jan '18, followed by Fabinho and Ali in summer '18. We became watertight from then on.
Agreed, and a quality no6 has to be the no1 target. We've known it for 2 years now. Macca has done very well as has Endo but Macca is better suited further foward (or as a double pivot option) and Endo should only be a good squad option.

It was understandable to not get someone last season as we dod cover off the other Midfield positions but it would be a failure not to have found one by this summer. Thiagos departure creates a space for someone so that won't be an issue. Probably the first true test of Hughes' reign.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13670 on: April 30, 2024, 01:12:26 pm »
We have what, the 4th or so highest wage bill in the country? We must be mismanaged then if top four is success.
last summer as Klopp was building his 2.0 squad, the general view was "success would be Top 4 minimum, with a domestic cup as bonus".  we did exactly that.
now with a brand new manager (ok head coach) implementing a new system, with question marks over who the squad will actually consist of, a similar level of performance doesn't seem unreasonable.

what will "success" be for you in Slot's first season?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13671 on: April 30, 2024, 01:39:52 pm »
last summer as Klopp was building his 2.0 squad, the general view was "success would be Top 4 minimum, with a domestic cup as bonus".  we did exactly that.
now with a brand new manager (ok head coach) implementing a new system, with question marks over who the squad will actually consist of, a similar level of performance doesn't seem unreasonable.

what will "success" be for you in Slot's first season?

Same as this season. Top 4 and a trophy. Top four alone wouldn't be success.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #13672 on: April 30, 2024, 01:43:28 pm »

Yup. look at the great teams from all eras, notice the (often unsung) players, Kante, Makelele, Rodri, Case, McMahon, Fabinho, Stiles, Crerand, Reid, Bremner, McGovern, Busquets, Deschamps........
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #13673 on: April 30, 2024, 01:47:33 pm »
Same as this season. Top 4 and a trophy. Top four alone wouldn't be success.

Agree with this in the sense that Top 4 and progression to CL knockout phase is minimum we should expect and winning a trophy on top is a very successful season.

It shouldn’t be some ultimatum to Slot that anything other than CL qualification will equal the sack. That would be harsh given this team is 1 season removed from doing just that. But Top4 should be minimum expectation with our squad and what we invest in it (wages+transfers+facilities/coaches).
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13674 on: April 30, 2024, 01:49:45 pm »

Yup. look at the great teams from all eras, notice the (often unsung) players, Kante, Makelele, Rodri, Case, McMahon, Fabinho, Stiles, Crerand, Reid, Bremner, McGovern, Busquets, Deschamps........

We clearly want one, otherwise why are we bidding a british record for Caicedo, I expect we'll revisit.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13675 on: April 30, 2024, 01:51:37 pm »
I think his biggest success would be if he builds up a very submissive and respectful reputation with the referees. No confrontations, no post-match comments, constant praise, always mention how hard the job is, how well they are doing, firm and friendly handshakes after every game with each member of the referee team. Never scream at them on the touchline, don't even talk to them, just smile and carry on.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13676 on: April 30, 2024, 02:01:40 pm »
We clearly want one, otherwise why are we bidding a british record for Caicedo, I expect we'll revisit.

Not sure how we can use last summer as a guide for what we want now. The Caicedo deal was presumably driven by Klopp, Schmadtke and Gordon…. all of whom are either gone or going. Us being willing to go big on a DM last summer doesn’t mean Slot, Hughes and Edwards will feel the same, though of course they might.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13677 on: April 30, 2024, 02:26:53 pm »

Cracking post. Agree wholeheartedly.
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13678 on: April 30, 2024, 02:40:20 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ3nYUfRFaw

Ornstein adamant Salah will stay
Seems he will sign a new deal or leave in 2025

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #13679 on: April 30, 2024, 02:47:19 pm »
Not sure how we can use last summer as a guide for what we want now. The Caicedo deal was presumably driven by Klopp, Schmadtke and Gordon…. all of whom are either gone or going. Us being willing to go big on a DM last summer doesn’t mean Slot, Hughes and Edwards will feel the same, though of course they might.

I hope that a good DM is one of the first things that Slot will want. City have Rodri and Arsenal have Rice. We don't have a DM of that cabibre; yes Wataru is decent and Mac Allister has done a good job but I think this is one area that we need to revisit. Getting a very good DM will not be easy though.

Slot may also want to look at a new right back. I think Bradley will be our new right back with TAA moving into midfield but we could do with a replacement. Yes TAA or Gomez can do that job so maybe it's not high priority.
#JFT97