Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1374787 times)

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General
« Reply #25440 on: April 22, 2024, 10:02:31 am »
The tweet is a PR nightmare and sounds unprofessional. Reality, at least in this country, is you can't question the integrity of referees (unless you're Alex Ferguson of course) because everyone closes ranks.

All the focus is on whether Atwell is compromised because he supports Luton which is a serious accusation from an official statement because it can be deemed to question his integrity. They can use a plant in the media to make that assertion if they wish. But their official communication has to be professional and requesting the audio to seek clarification as to why these errors occurred.

We get Tierney/Kavanagh/Taylor every other week and while i'd rather the club made more of it, i'd want them to do it off the record rather than in an official statement. You can bet City and United wouldn't put up with Scouse refs. Nor would Neville. Of course Carragher says nothing.

I agree with you its a PR nightmare but I think its great as its now opened up a can of worms.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25441 on: April 22, 2024, 10:05:37 am »
Ref's aren't always right. They make a lot of mistakes. It doesn't make them any less of a ref if their pals in VAR just say that and stop thinking they have to have this air of perfection about them. Lose the ego lads.  It would make life much easier for everyone. You'll still be a Premier League ref if you get a decision or 2 wrong and you need technology to correct it.
The best commentator around for me is Ally McCoist, he makes countless mistakes or calls, corrects them with replays and moves on. Simple. Until they do that season after season will be the same.
Forest play City at the weekend....good luck with that

Online Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #25442 on: April 22, 2024, 10:06:19 am »
It's the "explore other options" that is difficult. I think we said something similar after Spurs. But what are the options - there aren't any?! Go on strike? Sue them?
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #25443 on: April 22, 2024, 10:06:46 am »
I agree with you its a PR nightmare but I think its great as its now opened up a can of worms.

Yeah, it has. But you're seeing the pushback from all the pundits and stooges. All these people attacking Forest rather than analysing the unfathomable errors which all went against the same team in the same game.

Imagine if Everton lost after being denied 3 blatant pens. Goodison would have combusted and Dyche would have been foaming at the mouth after the game and Carragher backing him up.

PGMOL needs disbanding. We need foreign refs. VAR has to go. An iconic football moment ruined yesterday for a toenail offside (that was questionable in itself) but they can't even correct clear errors on the pitch. An utterly useless system.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #25444 on: April 22, 2024, 10:07:22 am »
All the focus is on whether Atwell is compromised because he supports Luton which is a serious accusation from an official statement because it can be deemed to question his integrity. They can use a plant in the media to make that assertion if they wish. But their official communication has to be professional and requesting the audio to seek clarification as to why these errors occurred.

PGMOL gave Forest a stick to beat them with. If the game was reffed properly, we wouldn't be talking about this, so we're back to PGMOL 1.) not verifying incorrect decisions through VAR and 2.) the person responsible for reviewing being the guy Forest said, before the game, had loyalties to a rival that could be  called into question.

Get #1 right and there's no issue with the second part. It all comes back to not reviewing decisions that are  clearly incorrect.

I'm a fan of anything that forces PGMOL to improve their reffing, their review proceedure, their decisions making, their knowledge of the rules, and their treatment of incorrect decisions in the press. They are literally deciding the league for us (the Spurs, Arsenal & City games are clearly concerned) but apparently there's nothing to see here. This is wrong and needs to be fixed on-field so it's not a topic after the game.

"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #25445 on: April 22, 2024, 10:07:42 am »
Badly worded I think, but really isn’t clear what Forest can do in such circumstances. This season has been a mess for PGMOL. For the famous Spurs “goal” we tried to follow a proper route and nothing changed and no-one cared (except us). By the time we got to the Doku assault on Mac we just took our medicine, accept the gaslit storyline and it blew over in a moment.
Anything that that twat Neville gets on his high horse about is a sign we are being manipulated. Webb has to get the sack soon - it’s all well past saving. The current farce isn’t sustainable, even if the “clicks and banter”☹️ is at an all time high.
It’s a mess. I wish more clubs would speak up today (better worded responses of course)

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #25446 on: April 22, 2024, 10:07:55 am »
I was at the game at Goodison yesterday. In the ground I didn't really know there were big decisions going against Forest. I was very surprised when I saw the tweets after the game. There didn't seem to be any delays during the game for the VAR decisions, which is odd.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25447 on: April 22, 2024, 10:22:30 am »
I was at the game at Goodison yesterday. In the ground I didn't really know there were big decisions going against Forest. I was very surprised when I saw the tweets after the game. There didn't seem to be any delays during the game for the VAR decisions, which is odd.

The time taken is always telling with VAR. It's like the Doku one, waved away quickly. That suggests the VAR official doesn't want to give it. When they spend longer on it you know they're looking to give the decision. Even the Jota one yesterday compared to other offsides. They always seem to spend longer when the decision would be against us rather than for us.

The audio should be released for every game over VAR. It's too much of a cheater's charter with no scrutiny. Our one at Spurs and this yesterday shows it needs accountability. Webb turning up on Sky for a friendly chinwag with Carra and Nev simply doesn't cut it.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #25448 on: April 22, 2024, 10:26:16 am »
The tweet is a PR nightmare and sounds unprofessional. Reality, at least in this country, is you can't question the integrity of referees (unless you're Alex Ferguson of course) because everyone closes ranks.

All the focus is on whether Atwell is compromised because he supports Luton, rather than the actual errors. They can use a plant in the media to make that assertion if they wish. But their official communication has to be professional and requesting the audio to seek clarification as to why these errors occurred.

We get Tierney/Kavanagh/Taylor every other week and while i'd rather the club made more of it, i'd want them to do it off the record rather than in an official statement, you've got to box smarter than that. You can bet City and United wouldn't put up with Scouse refs. Nor would Neville. Of course Carragher says nothing.

The thing is though, no different approach would have changed anything in the public discussion. We've seen it ourselves with the countless decisions against us. It doesn't matter, if you just point out the questionable decision, because people will simply call you bitter or tell you to "Get over it as this evens itself out over the course of a season", no matter how outrageous the decision was (I mean, not giving a completely legitimate goal is about as bad a decision you can get). The authorities and the media don't want to have a discussion about the refereeing, full stop. That's why you're not getting one and the debate is shifted to turn legitimate issues into a laughing matter or something to be outraged about.

Again, we've seen how that worked with the Spurs-match and officials going to Saudi or Dubai or wherever to get paid big money by people who own teams in the Premier League. In every normal company there are strict compliance rules, but of course PGMOL don't need those. There wasn't even a debate about whether that's something that needs to be looked at. It was mentioned in one article, Webb said ref will have to tell PGMOL if they get those kinds of gigs (as was already the case before this whole thing), but other than that nothing happened, because nobody wanted to look at the underlying issue. Same thing is true with this Luton thing. Again, 18 years ago when we were playing in the FA Cup final a ref from the Wirral couldn't referee the game as a precaution so no discussion about a possible bias might come up (both to protect the competition and the ref himself). Why wasn't this done for yesterday's game? PGMOL have loads of refs who could have been VAR in yesterday's game. It's not as if Attwell is some kind of outstanding ref needed for this kind of fixture. It's even worse, if Nottingham Forest pointed it out beforehand, that the guy is a Luton supporters and PGMOL didn't care about it. But again, this arrogance or incompetence by PGMOL won't be talked about in the public discussion. It'll be about some awful narritive how Nottingham Forest are bitter and classless and how Clattenburg should resign.

There need to be changes in PGMOL and the refereeing structure in England. The problem is, nothing will get done when you have people like Neville and Carragher steering the public discussion.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25449 on: April 22, 2024, 10:27:48 am »
True and it was done when tensions were high.

The owner is a loose cannon wasnt there a report he had a gun on the pitch in Greece for a game ?

PGMOL have secured themselves a nice lofty position in all of this.

No - that was the owner of a different club - the Forest owner owns Olympiacos, it was the PAOK President who did that

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25450 on: April 22, 2024, 10:35:01 am »
I think Forest knew exactly what they were doing with their statement and didn't make it heat of the moment and regret it. If they didn't say anything or just said they were disappointed, the wallys on Sky would talk about it, give them some sympathy, maybe, get Dermot Gallagher on then it's done with. Get on with it Forest. Evens itself out.
You certainly wouldn't have seen Carragher or Neville rush onto Twitter as it didn't involve any of their teams. They don't care about the game overall they're selfish fans when it comes down to it.
Forest are taking aim at PGMOL but the sad thing is they will double down now and make life hard for them.
It may appear blunt or unprofessional, but I think that's exactly how they wanted it to come across so people start talking about it. Maybe something will change, probably it won't, but at least they aren't just taking it

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25451 on: April 22, 2024, 10:38:05 am »
No - that was the owner of a different club - the Forest owner owns Olympiacos, it was the PAOK President who did that

Yeah wasnt sure if it was him.

Seems they dont take bad calls too well in Greece !

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25452 on: April 22, 2024, 10:51:12 am »
I really don't get the outcry against Forest. Why does no one in the media seem to think it's in any way possible for referees, these completely average human beings, to be in any way biased? Either consciously or unconsciously? The same pundits who can't even put the allegiances to one side to fairly analyse a game. It's mental.

It's not that Forest are wrong - the officiating is an absolute joke, riddled with, at best, lots of unconscious bias, and worst, actual corruption. In some ways, I am glad that they're making such a big deal out of it, because it's all gone too far for a while now.

The issue people on here might have with Forest is that it's hard to feel a lot of sympathy, when they've gone and acted like absolutely twats for months now. Attempting to turn an innocuous drop ball two minutes before we scored into the worst officiating error ever committed was ridiculous.

I'll happily agree that a Luton fan should be nowhere near any part of that game and that the whole thing has gone so atrociously bad that it's untenable. It's just hard to feel sympathy for Forest specifically. They've acted so ungraciously and the whole Clattenburg thing is an extremely annoying and transparent attempt to game the system.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #25453 on: April 22, 2024, 10:52:41 am »
Yeah wasnt sure if it was him.

Seems they dont take bad calls too well in Greece !

The Forest owner is Marinakis who has got some history of his own. He has been charged with among other things match-fixing and drug trafficking. Flew through the Premier League's fit and proper persons test though. Good process.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25454 on: April 22, 2024, 11:01:26 am »
The Forest owner is Marinakis who has got some history of his own. He has been charged with among other things match-fixing and drug trafficking. Flew through the Premier League's fit and proper persons test though. Good process.

Man knows his stuff then. These dodgy referee's can't pull the wool over his eyes

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #25455 on: April 22, 2024, 11:04:52 am »
I would love the PGMOL to explain why they have twice this season removed Bobby Madley from officiating games. On the 10th of April he was supposed to do Birmingham v Cardiff but was removed from that game after a protest. Madley is a Huddersfield fan and they are in a relegation battle with Birmingham.

On the 24th of February Madley was supposed to Referee Barnsley v Derby until Derby complained that Madley had been at Barnsley's academy as a kid.

So twice the PGMOL has changed the referee in the EFL but refused to listen to Luton's complaint about Attwell.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25456 on: April 22, 2024, 11:10:23 am »
Phil McNulty doing the whole "move along, nothing to see here" act on a Q&A on the BBC Sports website. Perhaps Forest should put out another tweet asking for a journalist who's not an Everton fan.

So transparent what the press are doing.

You certainly wouldn't have seen Carragher or Neville rush onto Twitter as it didn't involve any of their teams. They don't care about the game overall they're selfish fans when it comes down to it.

Be interesting what Neville's reaction would be if this happened to United (LOL, I know), but Carragher has long ago sold his soul. He'd just swallow it and be straight in defending the officials.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 11:12:53 am by Gili Gulu »
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25457 on: April 22, 2024, 11:14:44 am »
For what it's worth, I think it should've been one penalty to Forest, not 3.

The first was very soft. Similar contact to the Gallagher penalty appeal against us. The second was one of those where it could've been given & would've been given 3 months back. The third is as blatant as it gets. MoTD covered it very well in that Taylor signals that he thinks Young gets the ball. He objectively didn't. It was a foul & a pen.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25458 on: April 22, 2024, 11:16:00 am »
There needs to be a concerted campaign for audio recordings to be released for every game. The Diaz audio showed what an utter shitshow officiating is, we need to hear more so we can expose what a mess it is and there's absolutely no justification for not releasing.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 11:19:39 am by Schmidt »

Online Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25459 on: April 22, 2024, 11:19:52 am »

The first was very soft. Similar contact to the Gallagher penalty appeal against us. The second was one of those where it could've been given & would've been given 3 months back. The third is as blatant as it gets. MoTD covered it very well in that Taylor signals that he thinks Young gets the ball. He objectively didn't. It was a foul & a pen.

I can't stand this idea that it's ok to change the rules halfway through a season. They mentioned it on match of the day as if it is ok for one team to benifit from a handball but the same handball doesn't count  few weeks later. If they want to change rules, do it before the season starts.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25460 on: April 22, 2024, 11:20:33 am »

The third one absolutely has to be a penalty. We've been told that if what the referee describes to VAR somewhat resembles what actually happened, then it can't have been a clear and obvious error so the VAR will uphold the decision. However, in this case, as you say, Taylor clearly thinks Young got the ball which he definitely didn't, so there's no reason for the decision not to be overturned.

The Grealish handball is similar too. Oliver obviously doesn't think it's hit him as he gives a goal kick, so as soon as the handball is seen on the replay it should have been reviewed.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25462 on: April 22, 2024, 11:26:46 am »
There needs to be a concerted campaign for audio recordings to be released for every game. The Diaz audio showed what an utter shitshow officiating is, we need to hear more so we can expose what a mess it is and there's absolutely no justification for not releasing.

It needs to be live like in Rugby league. Hear exactly what they are saying. There can be no hiding then.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25463 on: April 22, 2024, 11:28:50 am »
It's not that Forest are wrong - the officiating is an absolute joke, riddled with, at best, lots of unconscious bias, and worst, actual corruption. In some ways, I am glad that they're making such a big deal out of it, because it's all gone too far for a while now.
This is what we should focus on.

The issue people on here might have with Forest is that it's hard to feel a lot of sympathy, when they've gone and acted like absolutely twats for months now. Attempting to turn an innocuous drop ball two minutes before we scored into the worst officiating error ever committed was ridiculous.

I'll happily agree that a Luton fan should be nowhere near any part of that game and that the whole thing has gone so atrociously bad that it's untenable. It's just hard to feel sympathy for Forest specifically. They've acted so ungraciously and the whole Clattenburg thing is an extremely annoying and transparent attempt to game the system.
Nah. We can, and should, rise above the petty tribalism. If anything, the cry-arsing from Forest fans after the game just added an extra layer of joy to the sweet, sweet victory. And those vital three points.

If it's only us complaining then it's brushed off as whinging Scousers. I'm all for other clubs pointing out that the PGMOL under Webb aren't fit for purpose.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25464 on: April 22, 2024, 11:31:56 am »
I can't stand this idea that it's ok to change the rules halfway through a season. They mentioned it on match of the day as if it is ok for one team to benifit from a handball but the same handball doesn't count  few weeks later. If they want to change rules, do it before the season starts.

What rule changed anyway?

I know it's different competitions but the pen we got the other day in Europe and the one Cov got yesterday were pretty similar to the Young one.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #25466 on: April 22, 2024, 11:34:12 am »
Everton v Forest:

D Gallagher only thinks 1 of the 3 were definite penalties.

https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/11668/13120763/ref-watch-live-dermot-gallagher-to-discuss-nottingham-forest-penalty-incidents-after-everton-defeat-and-more

But, even if it's only one in the end, all three are clearly reviewable and a single goal changes the game, especially when it's still only 1-0 to Everton.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #25467 on: April 22, 2024, 11:38:35 am »
At the end of that refwatch sequence on Sky the “conclusion” included the point that the refs are only human and make mistakes.
Duh….Isn’t that why they are supposed to use non-human Video Assistance?  The spin and shite around VAR is mad. That 3 3rd non-pen is clear VAR incident. Needed to go to monitor to correct human error.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25468 on: April 22, 2024, 11:39:20 am »
The first one would have been soft. It's another of those where the bottom of the foot is touched, without enough contact to cause someone to fall over, they take a step then fall over like they've been shot.

The second one was a handball and should've been a penalty for me. Young runs with his arms at almost 90 degrees for 3 / 5 seconds. It's not a natural position.

The third is the most blatant. It's an obvious foul missed by the referee. The fact none of the morons rewatching it on screen in a room could notice this is staggering.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25469 on: April 22, 2024, 11:42:34 am »
What a shocking week for VAR. Just bin it off, it doesn't work. When Dermot Gallagher is questioning it, you know it's fucked.

Online Cheshire_Cat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25470 on: April 22, 2024, 11:45:03 am »
I can sympathise with the refs on the pitch to a degree. The game is fast. They're human beings and they give what they think they've seen. The application of VAR is a whole other issue. I can't get my head around why, if a ref is asked to view the monitor, they are obliged to concur with VAR and change their decision. I'd be quite happy for a ref to look at it say (in the appropriate circumstance), that he's sticking with his onfield decision where things are subjective. I would prefer the onfield ref have the opportunity to review their own big decision more often. PGMOL are a bloody joke. Isn't the "P" for "Professional"? Forest should sue them under the Trades Descriptions Act!

On Forest, it's difficult to have sympathy when they have been cry-arsing about stupid stuff all season. Toney moving the ball a yard at a free-kick (move the f*ckin wall then); the drop ball against us 20 minutes before the goal. Now they have got something to bleat about, it's gonna fall on deaf ears. It's the fable about crying wolf! Knobheads!

Handball ... what the fuck? If the ball hits a defenders hand in the box it's unlucky. It's the same as it hitting his arse and sending the keeper the wrong way as the ball nestles in the bottom corner. I can sympathise where the handball has no material impact on the game. If the ball would have hit him in the face if his hand wasn't there. But Ashley Young's handball has a material effect on that cross. He's stopped the ball with his arm. Yep, it's harsh. Yep, it's unlucky. But it's handball as far as I'm concerned. It would be anywhere else on the pitch, so it should be in the box.

Which brings me to the different rules in the penalty area. What the f*ck is that about? A foul or handball should be the same all over the pitch. I cannot understand this higher-threshold-in-the-box bollox.

There really needs to be a frank discussion in the media about this. Unfortunately the only platform that seems to discuss this in an adult way is the Anfield Wrap on some of their excellent podcasts.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25471 on: April 22, 2024, 11:45:38 am »
What a shocking week for VAR. Just bin it off, it doesn't work. When Dermot Gallagher is questioning it, you know it's fucked.

It ruined what would have been the best FA Cup moment and match in decades, all because of the most fractional of offsides, yet can't intervene for clear errors.

It's a total shitshow. But apparently losing replays that most clubs don't want anyway is the hill to die on.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #25472 on: April 22, 2024, 11:51:53 am »
PGMOL are a bloody joke. Isn't the "P" for "Professional"? Forest should sue them under the Trades Descriptions Act!

To be fair, the whole thing stands for Professional Game Match Officials Limited. It doesn't say that the officials are professionals just that the matches they officiate are... ;)

Online Cheshire_Cat

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25473 on: April 22, 2024, 11:56:07 am »
To be fair, the whole thing stands for Professional Game Match Officials Limited. It doesn't say that the officials are professionals just that the matches they officiate are... ;)

Forest have absolutely no options to pursue, then 😂

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #25474 on: April 22, 2024, 12:14:22 pm »
Forest were hard done by with those decisions yesterday,it’s undeniable but as I live and work among some of their gobshite fans ,it’s a bonus for me to see them jumping up and down stamping their feet .they’ve been going on about the drop ball incident weeks later so any sympathy from me is nil .
I was at work yesterday and there’s a good few forest fans there ,it was hilarious seeing them cryarsing about it all afternoon.
In short ,fuck them and their moronic fans too.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25475 on: April 22, 2024, 12:33:28 pm »
A few issues I want to discuss here:

1. Why are Liverpool always tarred with the same brush with regards to these statements that get released. Other clubs have released statements when a decision has not gone their way, which can happen. We had a legitimate goal ruled out by the on field officials which VAR confirmed was the wrong decision, yet the on field officials ignored the VAR! Our situation was unprecedented!

2. The forest statement was poorly worded but the idea is there. I think the first two decisions split opinion but with the third one, the entire football community is unanimous that Young didn't touch the ball. You cant get more 'clear and obvious' than the ref saying he got the ball but the images showing he didn't. Not sure how VAR/PGMOL will squeak their way out of that one.

3. The Coventry offside. I've said this many times before, there was no problem with offside decisions pre-VAR. The assistants did a great job when you think how many offside calls they have to make throughout a season. In the past we would have looked at a replay of a call like that and just gone 'he's level' and got on with it.
I also think, if you got either three separate officials to draw the lines or got the VAR to position those lines 3 times, they would not be able to pick the same pixel to draw the line from each time and would end up with a different outcome each time the lines were drawn.

4. Well done to everyone who wanted VAR. You've ruined football. "Its not VAR its the people using it incorrectly" Pro-VAR people say. What a load of s**t. Those of us opposed to it before its introduction knew it would kill the game, sap the emotion out of goals and last minute winners. It wasn't hard to see. The officials weren't great pre-VAR but at least you could argue the case that they had seen something in a split second and made a call whether that be correct or incorrect. Now we have all the added time waiting around for checks on top of the inconsistent decisions we were already getting.

5. Scrap VAR & scrap drawing lines. In fact I don't even want semi-automated offsides either. Wait until someone is judge to be offside by the system due to motion blur of someone's knee. Lets have goal line technology and thats it. I think if we did all this we would look back at the VAR period and say "how mad was that 4 or 5 years where we had all that VAR stuff".

6. It feels like there were not many changes to the game or the rules for years and then recently its just changes being introduced exponentially .

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #25476 on: April 22, 2024, 12:35:00 pm »
This is excellent.

https://x.com/daisychristo/status/1782131170928476570?s=46
Exactly. And VAR does not bring fairness, thats just an illusion.

I cant understand why football is hurting itself with this nonsense.

Regarding the offside calls: A football player runs at 5-10 meters per second, which means that he moves 0.1-0.2 m per video frame. That makes it utterly silly to discuss an offside of a few cm, because thats a fraction of a frame. The precision just isnt there, so let it be.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 12:38:26 pm by jepovic »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #25477 on: April 22, 2024, 12:38:47 pm »
Atwell has not refereed a Luton Town game this season so that goes to the point that he is a Luton fan.

They seemingly base the appointments on geography only. A ref that supports Birmingham city cannot ref Aston Villa but can ref West Brom.

But even if Atwell is a dyed in the wool Hatter and wanted Forrest to go down, then he has assistant VARs with him to catch. They just don't have the balls to challenge (or Assist) the referee on the field

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25478 on: April 22, 2024, 01:00:59 pm »
The rest of Ref Watch with Dermot:

https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/11095/13120763/ref-watch-live-dermot-gallagher-to-discuss-nottingham-forest-penalty-incidents-after-everton-defeat-and-more

Coventry "offside" was correct decision. Penalty to Coventry wasn't.
No reason as to why VAR didn't intervene on Chelsea penalty either.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25479 on: April 22, 2024, 01:02:07 pm »
But, even if it's only one in the end, all three are clearly reviewable and a single goal changes the game, especially when it's still only 1-0 to Everton.
There is no legitimate reason as to why it wasn't.  He listens to the audio and has not mentioned it.