Author Topic: FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 – AUNZ | 20 July–20 August (*)  (Read 46434 times)

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 – AUNZ | 20 July–20 August (*)
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2023, 02:17:28 pm »
snip Why I personally find it difficult to watch women's football (soccer) is because of the difference in quality. It's clearly evident even at world cup level.
I love watching athletics. The quality between men's and women's athletics is large too (times & distance) but the technique is the same. Women athletes run, jump, throw with the same excellent technique as men. Same with Tennis?
I think the difference between men's and women's football is the gulf in technique? Is this fair? And if so, why is this? Why should a woman player not be as technically gifted as a man?
Will it just take time and practice and eventually level out, or will there always be a difference technically?
I really hope this doesn't come across wrong, I really am genuinely interested. I believe it's the one thing that could make women's football more popular.
It's just going to take time, as you said. I touched on what a difference it makes to go from semi pro to fully pro in a post a couple above yours. The Liverpool women's team only made that switch 10 years ago and were the first in the WSL to do it. Ten years is quite frankly nothing in the grand scheme of things. There are still many female players who are unable to say they went from an academy to a full time contract, like has been standard for decades in the men's game, or that they've had access to the kind of resources available to their male counterparts at the same stages of their respective developments.

Only the most naturally gifted or those from countries where particularly technical football is a trademark will have overcome the disadvantages of not being able to apply themselves solely to football & do so under the watch of coaches who are up to the task. The average player will need both of those things in their favour in order to push their ceiling higher. We have now thankfully reached the point where the former is at least becoming the norm. The latter is improving with the appointment of every coach who isn't simply a reject from the men's game. I do think the progress is already evident in the players coming through.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2023, 08:26:59 pm »
That's a nice article.
Both my daughters play Gaelic football, and the same things are there - a great opportunity for girls to have a sense of community, forge friendships in a team sport etc
They also now have role models in both the men's and women's games now. They love it.
I love watching it too. It's so refreshing to watch compared to the men's game - less dark arts, arguing etc and watching the enjoyment they get out of playing is a joy to watch.
They recently won a few trophies, and it honestly meant more to me than anything I won in my career. It's wonderful to see the woman's game flourish (Football and Gaelic)

However I think one of the reasons why I enjoy watching it is  the openess if the games, the more scoring etc. It's entertaining.

Why I personally find it difficult to watch women's football (soccer) is because of the difference in quality. It's clearly evident even at world cup level.
I love watching athletics. The quality between men's and women's athletics is large too (times & distance) but the technique is the same. Women athletes run, jump, throw with the same excellent technique as men. Same with Tennis?
I think the difference between men's and women's football is the gulf in technique? Is this fair? And if so, why is this? Why should a woman player not be as technically gifted as a man?
Will it just take time and practice and eventually level out, or will there always be a difference technically?
I really hope this doesn't come across wrong, I really am genuinely interested. I believe it's the one thing that could make women's football more popular.

To add to what kellan said, it's important to understand the barriers that still exist for girls who want to play football. For example, as the Lionesses won the Euros last year, only 44% of secondary school offer provide equal football lessons for boys and girls and the Department for Education has refused to commit to allowing girls access to football in schools. This may have changed now but that was still the case last year. There's a very, very long way to go but as kellan says, the progress made in recent years is already showing.

I joined a women's team when I was still in primary school. This was quite a few years ago and not in the UK. The team had had to fight to find a club that would allow us to play there, and it was about 10 miles away from where I lived. There were few teams in the area so every other weekend we'd have to travel between 2 and 3.5 hours to play our away matches. We had to fundraise to be able to travel those distances and various costs associated with playing. A friend went on to play for the national team and she was left out of pocket as there was very little financial support even at that level. Things have improved a lot since then and it's going to take more time and investment. Including into the development of football boots that fit women's feet and don't affect their performances or increase the risks of injury. It's all those small things as well as better representation and visibility, and becoming a professional.

Edit: great to read about your daughters. They seem to be getting so much more than exercise out of it :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 08:30:11 pm by Bioluminescence »

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2023, 08:09:07 am »
Didn't expect to see that score (so far) between NZ and the Philippines when I woke up!

Good to see that the BBC have apologised following a question on lesbian players in the Moroccan team, knowing that same-sex relationships in Morocco can lead to imprisonment. What was he thinking? It was a breach of privacy and safety.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2023, 08:30:30 am »
I presume that’s a big shock? Very tight offside call went against NZ in the build up to their disallowed goal.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2023, 08:33:35 am »
Looks pretty vital that Norway beat Switzerland now after their abysmal opening showing v New Zealand.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2023, 08:49:31 am »
Graham Hansen not starting today despite being available. Weird and press going mad. Coach putting her job on the line here
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2023, 08:49:34 am »
I presume that’s a big shock? Very tight offside call went against NZ in the build up to their disallowed goal.
Very tight call! Like Sadio Mane against Everton.

I think NZ panicked a wee bit once they went behind. Even senior players lacked composure. Being the home town team is great when you're winning, but creates pressure when the fans all expect you to win.

We now need to beat the Swiss in the last game (or some complicated series of results based on whatever happens when the Norwegians play the Swiss.)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2023, 09:01:46 am »
What happened to Hegerberg?

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2023, 09:07:09 am »
What happened to Hegerberg?
Weird one, isn't it. Nobody seems to know yet, I even had RAWK on my list of places to check but no details here either.

In the teamsheet, warms up, sings her anthem, walks off down the tunnel.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2023, 09:12:03 am »
Weird one, isn't it. Nobody seems to know yet, I even had RAWK on my list of places to check but no details here either.

In the teamsheet, warms up, sings her anthem, walks off down the tunnel.

BBC says she is reportedly unwell.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2023, 09:17:39 am »
BBC says she is reportedly unwell.
Shame that.

It's interesting how Riise switched Roman Haug into the line-up instead of reinstating CGH.

Gives me a chance to watch Roman Haug, though. We were linked with her back in May, but it's probably unlikely we actually sign her.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2023, 10:05:19 am »
Yes, PH were 12/1 or something to win. However, they have improved beyond recognition in recent years, and beat Australia in August 2022 and narrowly lost to Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. One thing they have done is play an enormous number of games. Today was international game #41 since the start of 2022! In contrast, today was #23 for NZ in the same timeframe.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2023, 10:58:27 am »
Hamstring on Hegerberg, but not buying that 100 %
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2023, 12:24:49 pm »
Didn't expect to see that score (so far) between NZ and the Philippines when I woke up!

Good to see that the BBC have apologised following a question on lesbian players in the Moroccan team, knowing that same-sex relationships in Morocco can lead to imprisonment. What was he thinking? It was a breach of privacy and safety.

Yes, and quite the provocative, inappropriate, and dangerous question to ask... you'd expect better of the BBC (World Service) - and the follow up stance of the journalist involved...

'BBC apologises for LGBTQ+ question to Morocco’s football captain':-

Broadcaster says reporter asked ‘inappropriate’ question before women’s World Cup match

www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/25/bbc-apologises-lgbtq-rights-question-morocco-captain-womens-world-cup - with short video of the question being asked

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2023, 12:34:27 pm »

Worthy of a repost in here too...

'David Squires on … shirts, VAR and disparity at the Women’s World Cup':-

Our cartoonist on a lively start in Australia and New Zealand with barriers broken, injury drama and Germany getting on with it

www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2023/jul/25/david-squires-on-womens-world-cup-2023

'HIGHLIGHTS - Brazil v Panama - 2023 Women's World Cup' - 7 minute video:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nTaMYF0MbTE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nTaMYF0MbTE</a>

or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/nTaMYF0MbTE or www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/watch/43Dcq8uNlb3KHLlsCM2eW8

^ Brazil's 3rd goal in that match, scored by Bia Zaneratto... the interplay was just a joy to watch; like something out of '82...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-9_VEdjM0

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 02:24:16 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2023, 12:39:22 pm »

What a weird question to ask as a football press conference. Stop sexualising everything ffs.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2023, 01:04:17 pm »

Probably not the thread for it but this quote from the journalist beggars belief:

"It’s about people, it’s got nothing to do with politics."

What the fuck do they think politics is?
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2023, 01:19:34 pm »
^ totally selfish and grandstanding question.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2023, 03:30:12 pm »
Hamstring on Hegerberg, but not buying that 100 %
Hamstring or groin, whatever it is, it's not illness as first reported.

Not really sure where I'm sitting on this one. That she simply felt something go while doing some runs between the anthem and getting into position for kick off really isn't that out there. There's a short video doing the rounds on twitter of the pre-match team huddle, with the physios right there and one of them speaking to Hegerberg before she leaves the scene, presumably relaying that Riise has decided to hook her and not risk it. This is version of events that Hegerberg herself has been on instragram to share. I doubt people would be theorising otherwise if the Norway team weren't looking a mess both on the pitch and off it (see CGH's post-match interviews) or this unfolded with anybody other than a player with Ada Hegerberg's history.

I think it will be a real shame if she doesn't feature again in the tournament. She has missed too many for a player of her quality. Norway can still go through as things stand. I'd like them to. It's about time they were the team they could be.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2023, 10:52:40 pm »
A decent read, this...

'From Norway, a Voice Unafraid to Call Out FIFA From the Inside' - by Tariq Panja:-

Lise Klaveness is a rarity in soccer: a woman leading a national federation. But in pointing out her sport’s failures, she has made powerful enemies.

www.nytimes.com/2023/07/24/sports/soccer/world-cup-norway-lise-klaveness-fifa.html - or in full, here - https://archive.li/xm0pS

^ Klaveness, played on Norway’s national team before becoming a lawyer and a judge.

a snippet...

Klaveness, whose term as federation president expires in March 2026, knows her time is limited. She is not prepared to hang onto the role for the sake of staying in soccer, she said. But while she is there, she will continue to speak up. And that continued this week.

Her current focus is the prize money at the Women’s World Cup. Before the tournament, FIFA announced that participating players would be guaranteed 30 percent of the $110 million prize money on offer, and a minimum of $30,000 per player. Some national federations, including England’s, appear to be using FIFA’s offer as cover to withhold supplemental bonus payments. And last week FIFA’s president, Gianni Infantino, declined to guarantee the money would eventually get to the players. Per FIFA rules, he said, the money will be paid to the federations, suggesting the proposed bonuses were a recommendation and not a guarantee.

“He could and should be clear that it’s an obligatory payment,” Klaveness said. “Why would you ever say it’s not that straightforward?”'

« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 10:41:01 am by oojason »

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2023, 05:57:25 am »
The Maori greeting gets the blood pumping, just as well looks a bit chilly down there
Dunedin must be the southernmost city to hold a World Cup match.

Offline spartan2785

• Main Stander
« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2023, 06:12:23 am »
Hate to say this, but the attendance for this match down in Dunedin is absolutely awful, looks about 1/4 filled if that, in a stadium that is only 30,000.  I know you aren't going to see the same amount of attendance as a men's world cup, but if that's all they can manage there, it seems like they need to rethink where you would hold those matches.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 06:14:55 am by spartan2785 »

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2023, 06:27:38 am »
2-0 Japan is 2 minutes

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2023, 06:59:47 am »
The goalkeeping for Japan’s second was so poor.

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2023, 07:13:33 am »
You know I’m actually not minding the football at all. I remember watching the WWC a few iterations back and it’s like and night and day, it’s come such a long way from both a tactical and technical perspective. The only thing that’s somewhat lacking is consistency and pace but I reckon that’ll come in time.

It’s really quite good, glad I get to take my little one to watch a couple of games to soak up the atmosphereX hopefully it’ll make them get into football more.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2023, 07:20:53 am »
The Argentina left winger yesterday was a brilliant dribbler. Not the quickest but was constantly going past players with ease.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2023, 09:01:35 am »
This Spain team are better than England. They completely outplayed them in the Euros and should have won, let's be honest.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2023, 09:24:01 am »
This Spain team are better than England. They completely outplayed them in the Euros and should have won, let's be honest.
Can't disagree with that. Spain are certainly better than the England of this tournament. Fortunately for England, the way the bracket has split all the groups into two halves means they won't meet Spain until the final. All of England's potential matches after the group stage will be against teams from either B, F or H.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2023, 09:36:51 am »
Hate to say this, but the attendance for this match down in Dunedin is absolutely awful, looks about 1/4 filled if that, in a stadium that is only 30,000.  I know you aren't going to see the same amount of attendance as a men's world cup, but if that's all they can manage there, it seems like they need to rethink where you would hold those matches.
Yes, it was only just over 1/4 full today. Not everyone can get to games that start during the working day, unfortunately. One thing to bear in mind, though, is that the stand holding most fans at games I've been to is the one where the camera is, so you're not seeing the bulk of the fans.
Also worth bearing in mind that World Cups are normally held in summer time, when people are more likely to be on holiday. That's not the case for this World Cup.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2023, 10:00:53 am »

It kicked off at 6 in the morning. Would you go to a game at 6 in the morning?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2023, 10:04:07 am »
That's a cracking goal there for Spain

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2023, 10:09:30 am »
Not the greatest announcement of a goal I've ever seen.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2023, 10:28:38 am »
It kicked off at 6 in the morning. Would you go to a game at 6 in the morning?

Are we being wooshed? :D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2023, 12:53:35 pm »
Canada have done the unthinkable and benched Sinclair. It's never nice to a see player twilighting, and especially not when they've been at the top for as long as she has, but it's such a necessary move for a team that have far too little going for them up front. I still don't expect this next game will be a decent watch, though. Both Canada and Ireland defend so much better than they're able to do anything else. But Canada have at least given themselves a chance by switching out a pair of 40 year old legs that can no longer run.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2023, 01:04:22 pm »
Some of the goalkeeping today :butt

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2023, 01:05:55 pm »
straight in - commentator said it was training ground goal  ;D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2023, 01:06:08 pm »
What a goal  ;D

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2023, 01:10:56 pm »
What competition did Canada’s goalkeeper win? One of the worst I’ve ever seen at this level.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2023, 01:42:04 pm »
Very impressive stuff this from Ireland and they were unfortunate not to get anything off Australia in the opening game too. They're clearly showing they're not just here to make up the numbers.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now