Author Topic: 100 Players Who Shook The Kop Returns  (Read 16356 times)

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 100 Players Who Shook The Kop Returns
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2013, 06:40:57 pm »
King Kenny
Liddell
Keegan
Barnes
Rush
Gerrard
Souness
Hughes
Hansen
Ray Kennedy
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2013, 07:05:57 pm »
Gerrard
Kenny
Keegan
Liddell
Barnes
Fowler
Rush
Carra
Souness

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2013, 07:06:48 pm »
I've tried to take into account all the different eras, and players in different positions.

Kenny
Gerrard
Elisha Scott
Liddell
Barnes
Callaghan
Rush
Hansen
Souness
Alonso

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2013, 07:24:53 pm »
Just put my list in, i've taken the subject literally and went for those players who've made the Kop feel like it's shaking and go absolutely off it's head
I see it says the list gets used, rightly or wrongly, as the "definitive rundown of our greatest ever players". Not criticising you here mate, not at all...I think thats a perfectly reasonable way to do it, and mixes it up a bit so some different greats from the usual get votes. Remember getting confused the first time round - did they want your 10 best, your 10 favourites, or 10 players who literally shook the Kop.

Based on the fact I didn't want to waste a vote on Mark Walters, I went for a combination of my faves and imho the best (plenty of overlaps).

Don't think mine will have changed at all as most won't have. Bit soon to do this again isn't it?

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2013, 07:30:04 pm »
How difficult is this????

Christ, when you have to leave out the likes of Molby, Yeats, Grobbelaar, Clemance, Owen, Lee, McDermott, Both Kennedy's, Torres, Smith, Liddell, Alonso, Aldridge, Barnes, Toshack, Keegan, Lawrenson, Neal, Hunt, Whelan, Heighway etc. goes to show how truly blessed we've been!

For what it's worth, here's mine....

1. Rush
2. Dalglish
3. Gerrard
4. Souness
5. Callaghan
6. Thompson
7. Hansen
8. Fowler
9. Hughes
10. St John

Ridiculous the names i've left out, but like I say, we've had some bloody great players play for us over the years!
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
100 Players Who Shook The Kop Returns
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »
Don't think mine will have changed at all as most won't have. Bit soon to do this again isn't it?

Doing it reasonably regularly should, by the 3rd or 4th time round, begin to iron out short term favourites and villains. So Owen will certainly fall, but McManaman (for example) might benefit from a 'softening' of reaction over the last few years. Once a decade would probably be enough, though.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2013, 08:12:30 pm »
Surprised they're running this again, especially only 7 years since the last time.  Kinda devalues it a little bit in my opinion.  Think they should've at least waited a decade after the first one. 
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2013, 08:23:37 pm »
How difficult is this????
Very. Especially when you're down to around 8, 9 & 10 when loads & loads come into contention. Couple of battle royales I had were between Ray Kennedy and Terry Mac, and between Alan Hansen and Emlyn Hughes (goals won the day in the end). If it was faves only, Big Sami would be a shoo-in. And i can't believe my list is Godless.

1. Kenny Dalglish
2. Steven Gerrard
3. Ian Rush
4. Billy Liddell
5. John Barnes
6. Roger Hunt
7. Graeme Souness
8. Ray Clemence
9. Emlyn Hughes
10. Terry McDermott

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2013, 08:25:47 pm »
Okay, so here's the list I finally caved in and submitted:

Steve
Kenny
Digger
Rushy
God
Souey
Xabi
Shaggy
Jocky
El Pistolero

Three big criteria in my final ranking:

1. How much have I seen them play to be able to judge fairly? How strongly have they affected me personally, in my own time supporting LFC?

This is, for the main part, how Gerrard edges above other legends who I've unfortunately only been able to pore over VHS tapes of when growing up, or retrospectively on the web as an adult. Compared to the thousands of minutes I've witnessed post-'90 stars play, the bits & pieces of old footage and wonderstricken anecdotes of stars of generations past shared with me by elder family members, friends & other fans can't really compete with that, at least not with any honest justification.

2. Their service to the club and city.

Essentially, bonus points for being a wonderful man, points deducted for being a bit of a cunt. This means the likes of Owen and Lawrenson slide a fair way down, and McManaman and Torres fall slightly due to the circumstances of their leaving us. Macca's pretty merciless, unsentimental single-minded career choices did pay off spectacularly for him in the end, so fair play to the fella, whereas Owen and poor El Ninny have simply forever tainted their Red legacy for little real gain (although I'm far more understanding and forgiving of Torres than I am of Owen, who has just proved himself time and again to be a little twonk of a person).

3. Do I bloody love them right now?

Basically why Suarez just gets in there (I just badly want him to get quite high up the final official list, if only to send him and the watching world a big fat message!), and why Xabi is placed so high.

This was very difficult to try and do, but here's my (extremey) personal (and thus very flawed) ranking by position:

G:
Clemence
Grobelaar
Reina
Dudek
Scott (purely on illustrious reputation; I couldn't quite bring myself to put James in a top 5)  ;D

D:
Hansen      
Hyypia
Hughes
Carragher
Smith
Neal
Lawrenson
Kennedy
Thompson
Agger

M:
Gerrard      
Barnes      
Souness      
Alonso      
McManaman   
Molby
Heighway
Kennedy
Hamann
Mascherano

A:
Dalglish   
Rush      
Fowler      
Suarez      
Keegan
Torres
Owen
Beardsley
Aldridge
Garcia
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:30:24 pm by Haemogoblin »
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2013, 08:55:53 pm »
I see it says the list gets used, rightly or wrongly, as the "definitive rundown of our greatest ever players". Not criticising you here mate, not at all...I think thats a perfectly reasonable way to do it, and mixes it up a bit so some different greats from the usual get votes. Remember getting confused the first time round - did they want your 10 best, your 10 favourites, or 10 players who literally shook the Kop.

Based on the fact I didn't want to waste a vote on Mark Walters, I went for a combination of my faves and imho the best (plenty of overlaps).

Yeh if I was doing a 'best ten players ever' or even a 'favourite ten players' i'd probably have a different list.  But then if I did it tomorrow i'd probably have a slightly different list than the one I did today.

In terms of 'shaking the Kop' i'll always have Garcia and Fairclough. on the list, but if I was picking a best ever players they wouldn't get in.  But then any lists like this are always going to be heavily biased towards recent years as for some people it's all they can remember, and for others it's fresher in the memory.
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2013, 08:56:54 pm »
100 Players Who Shook The Kop – the groundbreaking series that had every Liverpool fan talking back in 2006 – is set to return this summer in association with Carlsberg, and you can get involved now by casting your vote.

More than 100,000 Liverpool fans voted in the original series six years ago and the list became the definitive rundown of our greatest ever players.

The poll is still quoted by the media and authors to this day, but how different will it look seven years on? Who will surprise everyone by sneaking into the top 100? And which of the current squad will make the list?

Kenny Dalglish beat Steven Gerrard to the number one spot last time but our current No.8 has lifted two trophies, had an FA Cup final named after him and won both PFA and FWA player of the year awards since fans last voted in early 2006.

We want you to select your top 10 in order now. You can vote for players from as far back as 1892 (our first skipper of note, Andrew Hannah) and there are details of all the contenders below.

You've got until the end of February to have your say before the list in revealed on Liverpoolfc.com and LFC TV day by day over the summer. You can also let us know your thoughts on who should feature where on Twitter with the hashtag #100pwstk.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/seven-years-on-it-s-back

As per the few words in bold,,, not much different to be honest,, nobody in last seven years or so would make such an impact to knock off Legends that are the top 10

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2013, 09:08:02 pm »
Gerrard
Dalglish
Rush
Hansen
Barnes
Hamann
Hyypia
Fowler
Alonso
McAllister
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline iRed

• Kopite
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2013, 09:13:44 pm »
1. Dalglish
2. Ian Rush
3. Gerrard
4. Barnes
5. Souness
6. Fowler
7. Torres
8. Hansen
9. McDermott
10. Hyypia

Couldn't find a way to fit in one of Liddell, Alonso, or Suarez.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2013, 09:16:41 pm »
Tough this, but I've gone for:
Barnes
Gerrard
Liddell
Dalglish
Rush
Fowler
Hansen
Carragher
Souness
Walters Torres

No room for Molby, Scott, Rob Jones, Nicol, McManaman, Clemence, Mascherano, Keegan, Hyypia, Beardsley or Alonso (which would complete my top 20 21)
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:25 pm »
Filled in the first nine with the usual names from our history, but I had to leave the tenth spot to give Jerzy a shout.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2013, 09:42:00 pm »
Surprised they're running this again, especially only 7 years since the last time.  Kinda devalues it a little bit in my opinion.  Think they should've at least waited a decade after the first one. 

Not really. I think 7 years is enough of a window to make judgements. I'm actually really glad they are doing this again. And I'll be interested to see if some of the cultish figures like Meijer and Camara, as well as players like Clough and Wark end up dropping off. I find it sort of odd that some of the more recent signings can't be selected this time around (Carroll, Henderson), although Suarez can. It would be nice if nobody who was signed with the last two years was available as a choice on the list to add a bit more perspective

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2013, 10:24:51 pm »
Speaking of updating after a number of years, does anyone else own one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liverpool-Player-Ivan-Ponting/dp/1848183062

My Dad's got one that stops in about 1990 and got me the 2007 one a few years ago.

Highly recommended.
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline TLW 84

• Kopite
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2013, 10:28:44 pm »
I think I might have had to put Albert Stubbins in if I'd remembered. ashamed to say Roger Hunt didn't cross my mind either.

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2013, 11:18:50 pm »
I wonder where one of my favourite players, Jamie Redknapp will place this time. People think of him as a genial idiot but he was such a cultured midfielder for us when fit.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2013, 11:20:09 pm »
7 years isn't that long seems a bit silly like the website have run out of ideas ???
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2013, 12:39:01 am »
1. Steven Gerrard
2. Kenny Dalglish
3. Robbie Fowler
4. John Barnes
5. Emlyn Hughes (Gary McAllister)
6. Jamie Carragher
7. Ian Rush
8. Alan Hansen (Sami Hyypia)
9. Graeme Souness (Dirk Kuyt)
10. Kevin Keegan (Luis Suarez)

:D

Not a million miles of mine that! my top 4 were exactly the same as yours fella! (my differences in brackets there) i was born in 1980 so I grew up watching the late 80s side... so the likes of Barnes and Rush were my early heroes.

But really the first great side i was priveleged enough to be old enough to enjoy were the treble winners of 2001; hence Gary Mac, who for me was a prime factor in that run. Sami likewise for his part in that side, but also because he is the greatest defender i have personally witnessed in a red shirt. Dirk for the number of crucial, critical goals he popped up with. And Luis, jusr because, I just can't get enough!!
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2013, 02:12:46 am »
from who I've seen live

Pepe

Johnson Agger Hyypia Riise

Lucas Xabi

Gerrard

Suarez Torres Owen

not a bad team...
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2013, 02:20:22 am »
Lack of Molby love around here it seems.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline John Zac

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2013, 07:34:29 am »
Players I have watched.

1. Gerrard
2. Hyypia
3. Torres
4. Suarez
5. Alonso
6. Mascherano
7. Reina
8. Agger
9. Skrtel
10. Hamann

The real 10 maybe

1. Kenny
2. Barnes
3. Rush
4. Fowler
5. Souness
6. Gerrard
7. Hansen
8. Hyypia
9. Keegan
10 Beardsley

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2013, 07:43:24 am »

good shout - and the great Paul Walsh

all good fun

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2013, 11:15:29 am »
1.   King Kenny
2.   Stevie G
3.   Liddell
4.   Digger
5.   Keegan
6.   Souness
7.   Rush
8.   Hansen
9.   God
10. Callaghan
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2013, 12:05:57 pm »
Anyone think Gerrard could take the Number 1 spot this time around?
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline Uruguayan36

• Loose Wires mouthpiece
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2013, 08:56:50 am »
Some people ignored Luisito and i think that is because you elected players who played alongside great players as well...but u forgot that Luis played without any help at all and scored incredible goals.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:58:35 am by Uruguayan36 »

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2013, 12:20:18 pm »
There should be a rule with this whereby to qualify for the list you can't have played for Liveprool for, say, 5 years. I know this would eliminate some excellent and worthy recent/current players but at least then you can eliminate recent-event bias (Smicer and Dudek anyone?).

It's a shame also that you can't skew the result in favour of players from the dim and distant past. Who is alive today that saw Harry Cambers or Elisha Scott play? We don't even have video evidence to show their quality. The only way to make this fair and accurate would be to ensure that all voters were born before about 1880 and are still fully in charge of their faculties to this day.

(^To emphasise the point...Titi Camara above Harry Chambers on the last list?! Seriously!)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:34:41 pm by Farman »
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2013, 12:40:40 pm »
Anyone think Gerrard could take the Number 1 spot this time around?

Yeah. And I'm one of those who saw Dalglish in his pomp (but not Liddell, etc) who is thinking of now selecting Gerrard.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2013, 12:43:20 pm »

Hmmm. Molby was in and out of the team and ultimately wasn't a regular in the best sides in the period. I'm not sure I'd pick him in my top 5 central midfielders.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:37:01 pm by redmark »

Offline TLW 84

• Kopite
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2013, 04:27:32 pm »
Some people ignored Luisito and i think that is because you elected players who played alongside great players as well...but u forgot that Luis played without any help at all and scored incredible goals.
I think Luis is well on course to be in a lot of people's top 3 mate.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:32:40 pm by TLW 84 »

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2013, 04:34:49 pm »
Went for players in my lifetime based on their contributions to the football club.

Suarez hasn't quite done enough to make top 10 yet.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2013, 04:45:48 pm »
I know it doesn't mean literally shook the kop but when Neil Mellor scored against Arsenal aka The Invincibles I could have sworn it moved!! ;D Shame Neil doesn't make the top 100 for that alone :)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2013, 04:48:58 pm »
I think Luis is well on course to be in a lot of people's top 3 mate.

He's in mine :)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2013, 05:06:57 pm »
Best / my favourite 10 since I started supporting in 94...

1. Gerrard
2. Fowler
3. Alonso
4. Mascherano
5. Torres
6. Suarez
7. Hyypia
8. McManaman
9. Redknapp
10. Rush

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2013, 05:20:59 pm »
Gerrard, Dalglish, Barnes, Hansen, Souness, Rush, Fowler, McManaman, Carragher, Torres.

Offline lfcderek

• Palooka basher Go ed Del Boy lid. Your right to point out wear I am wrong. Deffo more derek than lfc.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2013, 05:42:35 pm »
Arrowsmith
Gerrard
Kenny
Rush
Souness
Barnes
Hunt
Torres
Keegan
Hansen

If Suarez continues in like fashion for a couple of years he'll slot in ahead of Souness!

Had to put Alf top since the rest of you clueless buggers wouldn't have him in the top ten!
"Don't let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right."
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn`t learn something from him."
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2013, 10:07:32 am »
Some really strange calls for players on this thread, but each to his own that is what its all about.
I would ask one favour of people taking part.
Please remember the Club did exist befor 1970.
Ask your older family who do not have access to a computer for their recommendations.
Try to select at least one Legend from our glorious history, pre-war.

TIA
Karl
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2013, 10:42:23 am »
I always feel so worried about any polls like this that they'll be too dominated by recent players. I think that it's pointless having this as a public vote, it should be a panel of writers, sports historians, and club legends from the coaching side.