Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 1064332 times)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Reply #14440 on: April 18, 2024, 12:31:23 pm »
Isak's had a better finishing season that Nunez (he's at his expected rate , Darwin is below) - no one's arguing the opposite

After that Nunez has a high xg .. that makes him a high value forward
Isak also has a high xg .. he is also a high value forward

Cool, I'm glad you agree on that front, but that certainly wasn't the tone of the discussion yesterday.

However, it's also reductive to boil it down to the way you have done there given the context of the discussion. He's taken 42 fewer shots in 111 fewer minutes, yet is racking up similar xG levels. If he decided to shoot as often as Nunez, someone like Mr Dilkington would perceive him to be a more valuable player even though he would almost certainly become a more wasteful player, and for me that is a fundamentally flawed way of thinking.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14441 on: April 18, 2024, 12:33:56 pm »
What metrics?
Your last post was questioning assists as a thing wasn't it?
If you really want to understand how a forwards production can be measured reliably there's a boat load of explainers out there and I'd suggest we do it in a different thread

But it's probably easiest if you let me know how you'd like to do it.. because you keep changing from assists to expected assists to 'metrics' ...

How do you personally, captain Reina, measure how good a forward is?
Tell me and we'll apply it to Nunez and go from there

Sorry if im missing something in the specific vernacular, but is xA not a metric?

What i'm attempting to do is dig in to the details around a topline statistic like an assist. Something we all understand. But something if you think about it, as many have, can easily understand is quite a frail statistical output to assess a player by. So we move on to xA, something which provides more context to an assist, or what degree a pass could/should have been an assist and thats good! Its an improvement. But some will then check out at that point, and cease looking for improvement or questioning the validity of xA. Its a better measurement than just 'a' but that doesnt mean its complete and it doesnt mean we take it at face value.

So as someone who clearly has more knowledge of xA im asking you, what sort of completeness it brings to the table. You seem to rate it as a measurement (metric?) but how often if at all are you questioning it or looking for flaws in it? Seems like people within this world should and probably are constantly critiquing and looking for flaws in data rather than just holding them up as tablets as decreed from a greater power which relays an ultimate truth.

Skepticism is healthy when it comes to analysis, i know it may come across as me being snarky and I am to a certain extent, and like i say im sure these discussions have been had in great detail by many people much smarter than I but I'm not on an analytics forum. Im here to read aboiut darwin. So when I see data being used a means to understand his performance, is it not fair and right that the data itself is scrutinised somewhat?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14442 on: April 18, 2024, 12:34:25 pm »
The Isak is a downgrade on Núñez shout was mine, not sure Jack or Knight have said the same.

Across their two seasons in England, this is their xG+xA:

Isak 0.64
Nunez 0.95

If you think Isak's all round game/finishing makes up for that 0.31 gap then that's fair enough, I would just respectfully disagree.

From what I've seen of Isak I don't think he's as creative as Nunez, we don't disagree there. He definitely doesn't work as hard, but his touch is pretty immaculate. Either way i's probable that in a more positive team, those xA numbers would improve. I like Gordon, and I like Barnes when he's fit, but otherwise he's not had much support around him.

My gripe would be that if Isak shot more often, those xG numbers go up, and you rate him more even if he starts underperforming against that xG. Seems simplistic to say the least.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #14443 on: April 18, 2024, 12:34:35 pm »
Cool, I'm glad you agree on that front, but that certainly wasn't the tone of the discussion yesterday.

However, it's also reductive to boil it down to the way you have done there given the context of the discussion. He's taken 42 fewer shots in 111 fewer minutes, yet is racking up similar xG levels. If he decided to shoot as often as Nunez, someone like Mr Dilkington would perceive him to be a more valuable player even though he would almost certainly become a more wasteful player, and for me that is a fundamentally flawed way of thinking.

But that assumes that he wouldn’t score any of the extra 42 shots. If he continued to score at the same rate he’d be a remarkable player and Dilkkers would have a good point.

Anyway, if I could give some perspective on the tone - I think there was a suggestion of selling Nunez at a loss and buying Isak to replace him. That set Jack off mildly and perhaps it escalated from there …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14444 on: April 18, 2024, 12:37:13 pm »
But that assumes that he wouldn’t score any of the extra 42 shots. If he continued to score at the same rate he’d be a remarkable player and Dilkkers would have a good point.

Anyway, if I could give some perspective on the tone - I think there was a suggestion of selling Nunez at a loss and buying Isak to replace him. That set Jack off mildly and perhaps it escalated from there …

Oh he'd score a few more goals for sure. At the same rate? I seriously doubt it. Anyone who can watch Nunez this season and dispute that he takes plenty of low value shots can't be watching the same player. I don't see Isak doing that very often. Hence why his xG numbers are still high from far fewer shots.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #14445 on: April 18, 2024, 12:42:09 pm »
Oh he'd score a few more goals for sure. At the same rate? I seriously doubt it. Anyone who can watch Nunez this season and dispute that he takes plenty of low value shots can't be watching the same player. I don't see Isak doing that very often. Hence why his xG numbers are still high from far fewer shots.

Are they both top level forwards?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14446 on: April 18, 2024, 12:43:24 pm »
Are they both top level forwards?

Yes. I wouldn't sell Nunez to buy Isak. I'd happily buy Isak and play Nunez as a wide striker though.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14447 on: April 18, 2024, 12:44:07 pm »
Sorry if im missing something in the specific vernacular, but is xA not a metric?

What i'm attempting to do is dig in to the details around a topline statistic like an assist. Something we all understand. But something if you think about it, as many have, can easily understand is quite a frail statistical output to assess a player by. So we move on to xA, something which provides more context to an assist, or what degree a pass could/should have been an assist and thats good! Its an improvement. But some will then check out at that point, and cease looking for improvement or questioning the validity of xA. Its a better measurement than just 'a' but that doesnt mean its complete and it doesnt mean we take it at face value.

So as someone who clearly has more knowledge of xA im asking you, what sort of completeness it brings to the table. You seem to rate it as a measurement (metric?) but how often if at all are you questioning it or looking for flaws in it? Seems like people within this world should and probably are constantly critiquing and looking for flaws in data rather than just holding them up as tablets as decreed from a greater power which relays an ultimate truth.

Skepticism is healthy when it comes to analysis, i know it may come across as me being snarky and I am to a certain extent, and like i say im sure these discussions have been had in great detail by many people much smarter than I but I'm not on an analytics forum. Im here to read aboiut darwin. So when I see data being used a means to understand his performance, is it not fair and right that the data itself is scrutinised somewhat?

Can you answer my question please so we can move forward

Your last long post was about actual assists.. this one is about expected assists

The point is to assess Darwin as a forward so how do you want to do that? - do you want to take assists out entirely?  ..
I'm giving you the power... you tell me how you personally measure/assess how good a forward is and we'll go from there...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 12:50:51 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #14448 on: April 18, 2024, 12:45:11 pm »
From what I've seen of Isak I don't think he's as creative as Nunez, we don't disagree there. He definitely doesn't work as hard, but his touch is pretty immaculate. Either way i's probable that in a more positive team, those xA numbers would improve. I like Gordon, and I like Barnes when he's fit, but otherwise he's not had much support around him.

My gripe would be that if Isak shot more often, those xG numbers go up, and you rate him more even if he starts underperforming against that xG. Seems simplistic to say the least.
He's not as creative no, in fact his rate of xA is pretty stable from Sociedad to Newcastle, likewise with Nunez from Benfica to Liverpool.

His touch is immaculate yes and that's valuable. He plays the same amount of passes per game as Nunez (22) but his pass completion is 78% v Nunez's 70%, but that makes intuitive sense when you consider Darwin is trying more difficult passes and creating more whereas whenever I've watched Newcastle Isak is very much just there to lay it off into wide areas - which isn't a criticism.

The key bit here is 'if Isak shot more often'. The thing is he doesn't. Why? Could be a few things - level of service, him prioritising more high value shots or him being unable to generate more shots than he currently is due to a technical/physical limitation - i.e. doesn't have the acceleration to create separation v PL level defenders. Again, I don't know for sure.

It's the age old thing of people saying they'd score 10 goals a season if they played up front for Man City. In general I think people underrate how important/difficult it is to get your own shots. For example put Danny Ings number 9 with Foden and Grealish either side and KDB in behind he doesn't suddenly become a 4 shot per game striker.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14449 on: April 18, 2024, 12:45:17 pm »
Yes. I wouldn't sell Nunez to buy Isak. I'd happily buy Isak and play Nunez as a wide striker though.

Cool - I'd happily buy Isak too.
(I'd buy forwards with high npxg every window if I could)

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #14450 on: April 18, 2024, 12:46:59 pm »
Cool - I'd happily buy Isak too.
(I'd buy forwards with high npxg every window if I could)
Sign me up for buying Isak too.

PSR baby!!
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14451 on: April 18, 2024, 12:52:38 pm »
He's not as creative no, in fact his rate of xA is pretty stable from Sociedad to Newcastle, likewise with Nunez from Benfica to Liverpool.

His touch is immaculate yes and that's valuable. He plays the same amount of passes per game as Nunez (22) but his pass completion is 78% v Nunez's 70%, but that makes intuitive sense when you consider Darwin is trying more difficult passes and creating more whereas whenever I've watched Newcastle Isak is very much just there to lay it off into wide areas - which isn't a criticism.

The key bit here is 'if Isak shot more often'. The thing is he doesn't. Why? Could be a few things - level of service, him prioritising more high value shots or him being unable to generate more shots than he currently is due to a technical/physical limitation - i.e. doesn't have the acceleration to create separation v PL level defenders. Again, I don't know for sure.

It's the age old thing of people saying they'd score 10 goals a season if they played up front for Man City. In general I think people underrate how important/difficult it is to get your own shots. For example put Danny Ings number 9 with Foden and Grealish either side and KDB in behind he doesn't suddenly become a 4 shot per game striker.

In order of likelihood I would put it down to selection, service, and then limitations. When he first joined Newcastle I felt he didn't shoot anywhere near often enough. So I'm certainly not sitting here advocating for a player who only gets one shot away per game. But he feels like he's hit that sweet spot now where he's more confident, better adapted to the league, and lethal with the two or three shots he does take.

I agree with the bold, but I think you are over-rating it through the accumulation of numbers. Getting shots away is great, but you can't assert xG so frequently without looking deeper into a) how that xG has come about (i.e. number of shots, shot locations etc) and b) how that xG has been performed against. Nunez is now 12.5 goals under his xG across almost two league seasons - that has to come into the conversation if you want to use this data.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14452 on: April 18, 2024, 12:53:02 pm »
Sign me up for buying Isak too.

PSR baby!!

Don't lie, you think he's a donkey ;)

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #14453 on: April 18, 2024, 12:59:56 pm »
Tension defused then, I am glad …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #14454 on: April 18, 2024, 01:00:56 pm »
Don't lie, you think he's a donkey ;)
He's up there as one of my top options but he can't knock Nicholas Jackson off the top spot.

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14455 on: April 18, 2024, 01:05:36 pm »
Best thing since sliced bread according to most on here a few weeks/months ago. Fickle.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14456 on: April 18, 2024, 01:08:16 pm »
He's up there as one of my top options but he can't knock Nicholas Jackson off the top spot.

Yeah but can we get the Nicholas Jackson that played for Villereal not the one that plays for Chelsea because the Villereal one was clinical af

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14457 on: April 18, 2024, 01:09:53 pm »
Best thing since sliced bread according to most on here a few weeks/months ago. Fickle.

I think most people still think that.. Ironically the discussion has actually been made better by Lallana and Cpt Reinas contributions and pushback, it means other posters have to explain their positions in more detail which they have and that’s how people can learn, not just agreeing with everything without understanding the context of what’s being said.

This is what makes RAWK a good forum, I think the last page has had some great discussion even though it may be annoying to Jack Knight and Dilks to constantly explain themselves.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14458 on: April 18, 2024, 01:10:07 pm »
Can you answer my question please so we can move forward

Your last long post was about actual assists.. this one is about expected assists

The point is to assess Darwin as a forward so how do you want to do that? - do you want to take assists out entirely?  ..
I'm giving you the power... you tell me how you personally measure/assess how good a froward is and we'll go from there...

Im already doing this? I'm questioning the validity of his xA and his top line assist numbers being used as means of assessing his performances.

How valid are they? Where would xA rank on the scale of 1 being useless and 10 being watertight a great metric that can't be undermined in any way.

Assists is much easier to answer right? Its kind of a contextless broad high level stat that isnt really telling us anything other than player x passed to player y who scored. Doesnt give us any shade in how we truly got to the outcome (goal). Which is why I find it strange to see stats centric analysis of darwin using g+a per 90 as means to do so.

Regardless, where on the spectrum is xA?

Because this is the difference maybe between yours and some others' application of numbers and my own. Is it tht you see the number itself as evidence, proof, fact, and will use it as such?

Where as I see them as existing on a spectrum of validity when it comes to applying them.

Warning here, im moving away from assists for a brief moment, but only for illustrative purposes to draw out how i see these numbers and their application.

Darwin takes a lot of shots, thats a useful number to me. Can't score a goal without a shot, more shots means more possible goals. Direct correlation.
High value shots, again great, high value shots means an increased likelihood of a goal as a result. Love it.

Where I start to get lost is when I hear people say that xG cares not for things such as composure or finishing ability, that they're 'noise'. That's when a metric slides down the spectrum for me. Not to say its useless, not at all, but certainly I'll start to be a little more skeptical about it. Because there appears to be an inherent flaw in the data when you suggest one player taking a shot in a given scenario is the roughly, as close as makes no difference, has the same chance of resulting in a goal as any other.

Now I know xG is an average, i know the number given for any one chance is based on that average. But when people apply an xG total to a specific player they tend not to acknowledge that the average is based upon players being both below and above that number. Some players can exist above it consistently, good finishers you could call them, and some can exist below it consistently, bad finishers. The majority, will fluctuate between both, thats the noise(?).

So! To return to Darwin and his xA, where on my spectrum, in your opinion, should xA be placed? Is it definitive proof that Darwin is a creative force in his teams, is an indicator he is, or could he be benefitting from a boost by good teammates, playing in stronger teams in respective competition or good coaching and it's actually not that great of an indicator?

How deep/shallow is it?

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #14459 on: April 18, 2024, 01:16:04 pm »
Is this the new transfer thread?   ::)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14460 on: April 18, 2024, 01:26:29 pm »
@captain

Here you go - a short explainer of what xA is, how it’s evolved and why it’s useful
https://youtu.be/DNAYTyNWl3I?si=xibaJF8QfwllzTaG

Have a look and tell me if you want to use it in evaluating forwards
If you don’t you can tell me how you do want to evaluate forwards and then we can apply it to Darwin and go from there on your terms ….

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14461 on: April 18, 2024, 01:27:44 pm »
@captain

Here you go - explainer of what xA is, how it’s evolved and why it’s useful
https://youtu.be/DNAYTyNWl3I?si=xibaJF8QfwllzTaG

Have a look and tell me if you want to use it in evaluating forwards
If you don’t you can tell me how you do want to evaluate forwards and then we can apply it to Darwin and go from there on your terms ….

So no opinion?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14462 on: April 18, 2024, 01:29:38 pm »

Sliced bread has a high xCarbs, low xProtein and mid xTaste. Over-rated. It can xA some decent stuff in the middle I guess.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14463 on: April 18, 2024, 01:33:00 pm »
So no opinion?

You know my opinion … it’s a very useful proven measure of a players attacking production via passing

You started this by saying you wanted to learn
You’ve asked a ton of questions
The short vid explainer ive sent you answers them so you can form your opinion. yw.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14464 on: April 18, 2024, 01:37:46 pm »
Sliced bread has a high xCarbs, low xProtein and mid xTaste. Over-rated. It can xA some decent stuff in the middle I guess.

Sliced bread on his own isn't pulling up any trees, but if you're telling me that you can't see how crucial it is when paired with ham, cheese or even lettuce then I'm sorry, there's no helping you.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14465 on: April 18, 2024, 01:39:05 pm »
Sliced bread on his own isn't pulling up any trees, but if you're telling me that you can't see how crucial it is when paired with ham, cheese or even lettuce then I'm sorry, there's no helping you.

You're biased and deliberately misinterpreting the numbers, man.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14466 on: April 18, 2024, 01:41:19 pm »
This is what you often run up against when disagreeing or questioning the application of analytics, theres no conversation or contrition to be had over whether they're incomplete or even flawed.

Assists are low hanging fruit in statistical terms, but g+a per 90 is somehow worthy of inclusion in discussion?

xA is presented as means of assessing a player's attacking output, but there's little to no scrutiny over how a player might come to have a high xA. Coaching and tactical set up is negligible. Quality of opposition in the minutes the xA is accrued isnt drawn out. Its simply enough that he has it, the number exists and isn't up for further scrutiny.

It comes across as working backwards from a biased position just as much as someone saying "he's a donkey, look at the missed chances".

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14467 on: April 18, 2024, 01:46:02 pm »
Very simple you said we shouldnt build an attack around Nunez. I gave examples of players who blossomed when clubs showed faith in a players ability and did exactly that.

The really dumb thing is that Nunez has already shown what happens if you build an attack around him at Benfica. 26 League goal in 28 games. Nunez is a freak and totally unplayable when he is given the right service. That is what justifies building a team around him.
You could have said the same thing about Christian Benteke or Andy Carroll - one season in Portugal is never going to be more relevant than two seasons playing in this team, in this league. You may as well suggest we sell the rest of our forwards and get all the Benfica boys in. And service? He's taking more shots than virtually anyone in the league!

Nunez scored 26 in 28 for Benfica. That is why it is an apt comparison.
It isn't. Nunez did it in one season when his xG conversion was completely off the charts. Suarez had been a consistent scorer for three and a half when we signed him and had been getting better every season. There is a world of difference simply on those grounds.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14468 on: April 18, 2024, 01:50:11 pm »
This is what you often run up against when disagreeing or questioning the application of analytics, theres no conversation or contrition to be had over whether they're incomplete or even flawed.

Assists are low hanging fruit in statistical terms, but g+a per 90 is somehow worthy of inclusion in discussion?

xA is presented as means of assessing a player's attacking output, but there's little to no scrutiny over how a player might come to have a high xA. Coaching and tactical set up is negligible. Quality of opposition in the minutes the xA is accrued isnt drawn out. Its simply enough that he has it, the number exists and isn't up for further scrutiny.

It comes across as working backwards from a biased position just as much as someone saying "he's a donkey, look at the missed chances".

This isn't serious is it Captain .. this is just trying to provoke a ruck... you asked my opinion so I gave it to you
Before that you said you wanted to learn so I've sent you a resource - I'm starting to question if you do want to learn

No one that works in data or with data thinks that data measures aren't flawed or are complete... - they even quantify the extent to which they're flawed - that's why they keep working to make them better and more useful
If you watch the video I sent you .. which is 4 minutes long by the way - it even includes how xA has evolved to become more accurate

The reason data is different to opinion in terms of bias is that when people are trying to build a metric or statistical model they set out to disprove it (that's what scientific hypothesis is)

In terms of xA and Darwin ... he posts very high numbers for a forward. He's done it at Benfica and here

Again, as I've invited you several times to do, if you don't personally rate xA or think its suss or not a thing we can use other measures of him as a forward - you've been invited to say what you'd like those to be so we can discuss them .. I can't do much more than asking you for your ways of assessing someone and taking it from there in terms of conversation

« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 01:52:57 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14469 on: April 18, 2024, 01:52:58 pm »
This isn't serious is it Captain .. you asked my opinion

You said you wanted to learn so I've sent you a resource - I'm starting to question if you do want to learn

No one that works in data or with data thinks that data measures aren't flawed or are complete... - they even quantify the extent to which they're flawed - that's why they keep working to make them better and more useful
If you watch the video I sent you .. which is 4 minutes long by the way - it even includes how xA has evolved to become more accurate

The reason data is different to opinion in terms of bias is that when people are trying to build a metric or statistical model they set out to disprove it (that's what scientific hypothesis is)

In terms of xA and Darwin ... he posts very high numbers for a forward. He's done it at Benfica and here

Again, as I've invited you several times to do, if you don't personally rate xA or think its suss or not a thing we can use other measures of him as a forward - you've been invited to say what you'd like those to be so we can discuss them .. I can't do much more than asking you for your ways of assessing someone and taking it from there in terms of conversation

I wonder how the tone and confidence with which the data in its original (less accurate, less useful) guise would have been presented.

I'll leave it there.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #14470 on: April 18, 2024, 01:54:12 pm »
After the 5-6 pages in last 24 hours have we decided if we are keeping or selling him?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14471 on: April 18, 2024, 01:54:19 pm »

He's got .5 or more expected assists in one game against Arsenal, City, Brighton, Villa, Newcastle and Manchester United (opta numbers) over the last 2 seasons. Reducing any statistics like this to small minutes just weakens it's use though, sample size becomes too small. It's like asking is he good on a cold wet night in Stoke. He's second per 90 last season and third per 90 this in the leavue. Tactics are going to play a role, Trent scores high because we give him set pieces and the freedom to take huge chances in his passing for example. But Nunez has repeatedly scored well on it as a statistic here and at Benfica, he's done better than Jota, Diaz and Gakpo in the same side and roles. This is good evidence that he adds individual value over others this as a statistic.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14472 on: April 18, 2024, 02:01:42 pm »
I wonder how the tone and confidence with which the data in its original (less accurate, less useful) guise would have been presented.

I'll leave it there.

So this was all just about point scoring? Not learning? ... well I, for one, am shocked and saddened

me and other readers are still keen to know if we throw out xA (and xg or whatever other metrics you don't like or think our suss) what would you like to measure Darwin on.. goals? shots? chances created? eye-test? technqiue? ...
As I've asked several times - the point of this is not a theoretical discussion about data models (which we clearly disagree about) its to assess Darwin Nunez.. so how would you like to do it? how are you doing it?

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14473 on: April 18, 2024, 02:04:35 pm »
He's got .5 or more expected assists in one game against Arsenal, City, Brighton, Villa, Newcastle and Manchester United over the last 2 seasons. Reducing any statistics like this to small minutes just weakness it's use though, sample size becomes too small. It's like asking is he good on a cold wet night in Stoke. He's second per 90 last season and third per 90 this. Tactics are going to play a role, Trent scores high because we give him set pieces and the freedom to take huge chances in his passing for example. But Nunez has repeatedly scored well on it as a statistic here and at Benfica, he's done better than Jota, Diaz and Gakpo in the same side and roles. This is good evidence that he adds individual value over others this as a statistic.

Darwin measures up against his peers. I understand it. What I'm saying is there isn't enough detail in those numbers to remove all doubt.

Darwin's/Gakpos/Jota's minutes do not exist in an environment where they're the same value.

If someone plays 1000mins in teams with a rotated squad of kids every game vs someone playing 1000mins alongside better teammates who play consistently with each other and have chemistry and a higher level of talent, those minutes are not created equal.

Its something which is never elaborated on when these numbers are presented as if they exist in some sort of vacuum without outside influence or factors.

If we're trying to scientific about this kind of thing why is there such a long list of variables constantly waved away.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14474 on: April 18, 2024, 02:06:23 pm »
So this was all just about point scoring? Not learning? ... well I, for one, am shocked and saddened

me and other readers are still keen to know if we throw out xA (and xg or whatever other metrics you don't like or think our suss) what would you like to measure Darwin on.. goals? shots? chances created? eye-test? technqiue? ...
As I've asked several times - the point of this is not a theoretical discussion about data models (which we clearly disagree about) its to assess Darwin Nunez.. so how would you like to do it? how are you doing it?

Not points scoring. Just a healthy dose of skepticism regarding a subject which likes to present itself as being above it.

Hopefully it might be applied going forward as Darwin's output is further debated

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14475 on: April 18, 2024, 02:22:57 pm »
Darwin measures up against his peers. I understand it. What I'm saying is there isn't enough detail in those numbers to remove all doubt.

Darwin's/Gakpos/Jota's minutes do not exist in an environment where they're the same value.

If someone plays 1000mins in teams with a rotated squad of kids every game vs someone playing 1000mins alongside better teammates who play consistently with each other and have chemistry and a higher level of talent, those minutes are not created equal.

Its something which is never elaborated on when these numbers are presented as if they exist in some sort of vacuum without outside influence or factors.

If we're trying to scientific about this kind of thing why is there such a long list of variables constantly waved away.
He's put up good numbers against good teams as I mentioned. Over a larger and larger data set you smooth out those quirks rotation, sub effects, team strength. This is why you don't want to strip it back to just vs top 4, just in December, just on rainy days, because you the open it up to more random chance or outside factors. I don't know for sure, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine the strength of team faced by say Jota and Nunez in the league isn't massively different on a per minute basis. I'm happy to accept that over 1000s minutes the xa averages out who played with Tsimikas, or more against a Burnley or not. Because it's a largish sample and we know teams in the league aren't really a situation where Diaz is only ever playing with the league cup side and Nunez isn't. Football doesn't work like that
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 02:26:32 pm by Chris~ »

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14476 on: April 18, 2024, 02:33:19 pm »
I understand how xG works. I just think it's already a flawed (but interesting nonetheless) system and the way you are interpreting it takes that level of flawed beneath the floor.

And yet you've been arguing Nunez takes lots of low value shots. So I don't know if you do.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14477 on: April 18, 2024, 02:37:40 pm »
He's put up good numbers against good teams as I mentioned. Over a larger and larger data set you smooth out those quirks rotation, sub effects, team strength. This is why you don't want to strip it back to just vs top 4, just in December, just on rainy days, because you the open it up to more random chance or outside factors. I don't know for sure, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine the strength of team faced by say Jota and Nunez in the league isn't massively different on a per minute basis. I'm happy to accept that over 1000s minutes the xa averages out who played with Tsimikas, or more against a Burnley or not. Because it's a largish sample and we know teams in the league aren't really a situation where Diaz is only ever playing with the league cup side and Nunez isn't. Football doesn't work like that

Agreed.

But again idk maybe I place too much importance on such things, and maybe the sample again would to be too small, but playing for months as an attacking player without Trent, Robbo and Salah available alongside you would have a significant effect on production.

Someone like Gakpo or Diaz having to play through that period, where someone like Jota sits it out and gets his minutes in before and after they return that's enough to place some doubt regarding even a seasons worth of data.

So what's the ideal sample size to remove that variance? 3 seasons? 6000mins? Football is an inherently small sample sport for a lot of if not most of its highest value actions so the time needed for sample size to get to where it needs to be isn't short. Seems like a fairly slow to market way to adequately assess someone if the data set needs so long to mature.

Offline Gerard00

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14478 on: April 18, 2024, 02:38:18 pm »
Can't believe this is still a discussion about how good or bad he is. If hes a forward and can't finish the consistently good chances we offer up then we need to look elsewhere. I'll still support him and hope to see improvement but hes had long enough to show that his consistency is far too questionable. The only hope is he hits a run if he peaks in a year or two and is still here.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14479 on: April 18, 2024, 02:42:09 pm »
Agreed.

But again idk maybe I place too much importance on such things, and maybe the sample again would to be too small, but playing for months as an attacking player without Trent, Robbo and Salah available alongside you would have a significant effect on production.

Someone like Gakpo or Diaz having to play through that period, where someone like Jota sits it out and gets his minutes in before and after they return that's enough to place some doubt regarding even a seasons worth of data.

So what's the ideal sample size to remove that variance? 3 seasons? 6000mins? Football is an inherently small sample sport for a lot of if not most of its highest value actions so the time needed for sample size to get to where it needs to be isn't short. Seems like a fairly slow to market way to adequately assess someone if the data set needs so long to mature.

So let’s throw it out …. I mean we’ve got 7000 league minutes on Darwin over the last 4 seasons where his numbers are consistent but it might be a bad measure and/or have not matured fully as a data set so let’s bin it

Now we’ve binned xa … how would you like to evaluate and judge Darwin’s performance level?