Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 593290 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #8880 on: April 16, 2024, 07:06:04 am »
I love Jurgen and would love him to stay. I loathe this long goodbye stuff though.

Hated it with Firmino last year too.

If he hadn't have said anything it would be worse, say nothing of leaving the club in a mess.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8881 on: April 16, 2024, 09:58:24 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dVbmAB78GI

interesrting stuff from orstein
get the feeling it may be someone surprising

A lot of chatter about the sustainability of Klopp's style at the moment and there is definitely an undeniable correlation between it and the amount of injuries we sustain. We've suffered two 'down' seasons because of it during Klopp's time here as well. Maybe we should be looking for a coach that delivers a more possession-based controlled approach. The squad's profile - and certainly the midfield's - suit it more than people seem to think in my opinion.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8882 on: April 16, 2024, 10:00:14 am »
https://x.com/skysportspl/status/1779939990048326134?s=46&t=0-c-q6ANPH_2yomP8PeB9Q

I know he’s out of the running but it can’t just be me that thinks RDZ would be the right man to fix some of that?

He wouldn't be that bad of an appointment.

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #8883 on: April 16, 2024, 10:10:15 am »
A lot of chatter about the sustainability of Klopp's style at the moment and there is definitely an undeniable correlation between it and the amount of injuries we sustain. We've suffered two 'down' seasons because of it during Klopp's time here as well. Maybe we should be looking for a coach that delivers a more possession-based controlled approach. The squad's profile - and certainly the midfield's - suit it more than people seem to think in my opinion.

In athletics terms, it's like the clean athletes who keep picking up injuries, and keep breaking down, because they are having to continuously push their bodies past what it can manage, in their attempt to keep up with the drug cheats.
Not that I'm saying there is a similarity here......... ;)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8884 on: April 16, 2024, 10:18:19 am »

Can I re-up my Sebastian Hoeness shout from a little while back ...
Based on no intimate knowledge of Sttugart but his ticking of all of these Ornstein boxes

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8885 on: April 16, 2024, 10:23:48 am »
The confirms that Edwards is leading this and it isnt being left to Hughes. Makes sense as it would be mad to be Football CEO and not run the appoint of your football asset.

This will be controversial, but is there any possibility that we may be looking for a short term experienced appointment?

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8886 on: April 16, 2024, 10:25:13 am »
The club pretty much always downplays links even when it’s obvious to happen (Thiago, Jota, Alisson, Nunez etc). I wouldn’t read too much into the talk of Amorim not being favourite personally.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8887 on: April 16, 2024, 10:25:26 am »
The confirms that Edwards is leading this and it isnt being left to Hughes. Makes sense as it would be mad to be Football CEO and not run the appoint of your football asset.

This will be controversial, but is there any possibility that we may be looking for a short term experienced appointment?

Who'd our long term unavailable target be then?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8888 on: April 16, 2024, 10:26:33 am »
Neil Jones has just name dropped Niko Kovac.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8889 on: April 16, 2024, 10:27:25 am »
Who'd our long term unavailable target be then?

No idea. Its a mystery.

But we have done this with players, wait seasons for the right one.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #8890 on: April 16, 2024, 10:27:39 am »
Controversial opinion: Mourinho for this team would be great. He would win PL and make Guardiola take a sabbatical.
Mourinho burnt too many bridges with us otherwise would've been a great appointment for us with Anfield behind.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8891 on: April 16, 2024, 10:31:00 am »
Controversial opinion: Mourinho for this team would be great. He would win PL and make Guardiola take a sabbatical.
Mourinho burnt too many bridges with us otherwise would've been a great appointment for us with Anfield behind.

So basically strip away years of Jurgen's hard work, on and off the pitch, in a matter of months.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8892 on: April 16, 2024, 10:34:18 am »
Based on no intimate knowledge of Sttugart but his ticking of all of these Ornstein boxes
what an amazing season he is having.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #8893 on: April 16, 2024, 10:36:46 am »

I would say this would be a very hard "no" but to give you respect:

Mourinho would play round pegs in round holes, and playing deeper, we'd stop conceding goals. But in his nature, he'd want £175 million of new players and his form as a manager has fallen down quite a bit last 5 years or so.

Plus, this entire club hates him from the ground up, so there's that :)
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #8894 on: April 16, 2024, 10:37:00 am »

:lmao
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8895 on: April 16, 2024, 10:37:37 am »

We need a manager who will continue to give youth a chance, Mourinho has never done that once in his career. No thanks.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #8896 on: April 16, 2024, 10:38:06 am »
"Can I re-up my Sebastian Hoeness shout" [/size]what an amazing season he is having.

Problem is if you say his name quickly after some beers it sounds like....

Souness.

HARD "NO".
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8897 on: April 16, 2024, 10:40:47 am »

Maybe he is one of the outside the box managers that Orny was on about.

Wonder his odds are ??

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8898 on: April 16, 2024, 10:43:34 am »
https://understat.com/league/Bundesliga

very interesting leverkusen have overpermed much more on xg that stuttgart
i do like jack's shout about Hoeness its exceptional what he has achieved

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #8899 on: April 16, 2024, 10:44:50 am »

Controversial? It’s a bloody stupid opinion!

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8900 on: April 16, 2024, 10:49:03 am »
https://understat.com/league/Bundesliga

very interesting leverkusen have overpermed much more on xg that stuttgart
i do like jack's shout about Hoeness its exceptional what he has achieved

I think a better performance at Hoffenheim certainly would have had him on peoples radar. But the job he has done at Stuttgart is certainly great.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8901 on: April 16, 2024, 10:50:33 am »
I think a better performance at Hoffenheim certainly would have had him on peoples radar. But the job he has done at Stuttgart is certainly great.

He wears a cap as well, that gives me confidence.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8902 on: April 16, 2024, 10:53:27 am »
He wears a cap as well, that gives me confidence.

Plus he has a greyish beard.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8903 on: April 16, 2024, 11:48:49 am »
Bayern trying to re-appoint Nagelsmann. Suggests to me that much of the noise around him was exactly that - if he’d destroyed trust at Bayern they wouldn’t be considering bringing him back.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8904 on: April 16, 2024, 11:54:16 am »

Would we hire someone who’s been sacked from their last 3 managerial jobs? I’m not sure you can be too critical of the Bayern sacking as they do that to all their managers shortly after they’ve won them the league, but sackings from Monaco and Wolfsburg don’t look great on the CV. Wolfsburg in particular he seems to have had one good season where he took them to the brink of European football but this season he had them flirting with relegation before getting the sack (not that they’ve improved much since then).

It’s not purely about previous results/league standings obviously but I think perception definitely is a factor and I’m not sure how much excitement or buy-in you’d get from fans by appointing someone tarred with the brush of failure, so to speak. Not that I think they will or should be choosing based on fan sentiment, but for a manager to get time to make his mark he’s going to need the fan base on side otherwise it could turn toxic fairly quickly. Which is why someone like Mourinho would never be considered.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #8905 on: April 16, 2024, 11:59:44 am »
Amorim has to still be the standout choice simply because he has managed to win trophies against the odds against two bigger and richer rivals. Yes, the Portuguese league isn’t great, but Benfica and Porto are Champions League regulars that have much bigger budgets as a result. If he wins the title again this year it would be some achievement. Not winning it for nearly 20 years and then winning it twice in the space of 3 seasons.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8906 on: April 16, 2024, 12:01:21 pm »

Not sure what Jones has said, but Kovac was linked by some no-mark in the Mail the other day. I'd guess his piece (behind a paywall) is saying there's nothing in it?

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #8907 on: April 16, 2024, 12:04:28 pm »
Bayern trying to re-appoint Nagelsmann. Suggests to me that much of the noise around him was exactly that - if he’d destroyed trust at Bayern they wouldn’t be considering bringing him back.

Or maybe, just maybe... Bayern are all over the place when it comes to decision making.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #8908 on: April 16, 2024, 12:06:26 pm »
Or maybe, just maybe... Bayern are all over the place when it comes to decision making.

Correct.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8909 on: April 16, 2024, 12:07:48 pm »
Something that our performances in the last week (3 games) has made me think about - would it be an advantage to find a manager who has less physical demands on his players than Klopp? It feels like our squad is running on fumes despite the minutes played across the season being far better spread for us than City or Arsenal. Am I right to say that it looks physically easier to play under Pep than it does Klopp? And which of these managerial candidates would best fit that criteria of being a bit less demanding on their players' bodies?

I also don't think its a good idea to try like-for-like. That's basically what United tried 10 years ago, and it was a disaster. And there is no one out there who will replicate Klopp anywhere good enough, so something completely different might be what we need.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8910 on: April 16, 2024, 12:09:14 pm »

Yeah this is what I think will happen now, they'll be happy for all the Amorim speculation to go on then sometime in May we get someone Orny or Joyce banger on someone not linked much, could be anyone, Howe, Emery, Hoeness whoever. (not suggesting them, just think it will be someone random like that)

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8911 on: April 16, 2024, 12:12:19 pm »

Feels to me that Amorim ticks those boxes too, and he feels much likelier given he's won trophies at multiple clubs, including league titles. And there's a proper sample size there given he's been at Sporting for four years.

Hoeness would be bold but I don't see the data king Edwards having faith in what's a relatively small period of overachievement. He did two seasons at Hoffenheim - took over following a sixth place finish and in his first season they finished 11th with 43 points. Then in his second and final season, they finished 9th with 46 points. That followed a period of relative success under Nagelsmann, who always had them finishing above 50 points (and into the 60s once). Even Schreuder, who succeeded Nagelsmann and preceded Hoeness, got them 50+ points.

So you're basing it almost entirely on his time at Stuttgart which has admittedly been phenomenal. Taken them from surviving the relegation playoffs to the Champions League - unreal stuff. But enough to gamble on him as the next Liverpool boss?

Appreciate we were all anointing Xabi based on a season and a bit at Leverkusen... so maybe unfair to judge Hoeness as not suitable based on Hoffenheim.

Correcting the mistake they made in sacking him, is what it looks like to me. They've goth Eberl and Freund in place now who are very well respected, so think their decision making has likely improved too.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8912 on: April 16, 2024, 12:34:08 pm »
A lot has changed since Jürgen handed in his notice. It's clear now that the owners are looking for a head coach rather than a manager. Everything relating to player purchases, sales and contracts will be left up to the laptop boys. No managers will want the job, I'm not sure how many head coaches will want the job either especially when they look at the tiny budget the manager has been handed every year for the past 5 or 6 years.
It will absolutely be someone way down the list. Hopefully it won't be another clusterfuck of an appointment like 12 years ago. 

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #8913 on: April 16, 2024, 12:42:26 pm »
Feels to me that Amorim ticks those boxes too, and he feels much likelier given he's won trophies at multiple clubs, including league titles. And there's a proper sample size there given he's been at Sporting for four years.

Hoeness would be bold but I don't see the data king Edwards having faith in what's a relatively small period of overachievement. He did two seasons at Hoffenheim - took over following a sixth place finish and in his first season they finished 11th with 43 points. Then in his second and final season, they finished 9th with 46 points. That followed a period of relative success under Nagelsmann, who always had them finishing above 50 points (and into the 60s once). Even Schreuder, who succeeded Nagelsmann and preceded Hoeness, got them 50+ points.

So you're basing it almost entirely on his time at Stuttgart which has admittedly been phenomenal. Taken them from surviving the relegation playoffs to the Champions League - unreal stuff. But enough to gamble on him as the next Liverpool boss?

Appreciate we were all anointing Xabi based on a season and a bit at Leverkusen... so maybe unfair to judge Hoeness as not suitable based on Hoffenheim.

Correcting the mistake they made in sacking him, is what it looks like to me. They've goth Eberl and Freund in place now who are very well respected, so think their decision making has likely improved too.

TBF to Hoeness, when he took them over, the team had sold the likes of Joelinton, Schulz and Demirbay and didn’t do a good job replacing them.   Hoffenheim will always be a small village team at the end of the day, and apart form a few outliers are very much the definiton of a mid-table team, as they where under Hoeness. Also it was his first head coach job.

What he’s done this season at Stuttgart is genuinely mad. Rightly Alonso and Leverkusen get the plaudits, but taking that Stuttgart team into the CL is even more incredible. 

Offline Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #8914 on: April 16, 2024, 12:46:45 pm »

I've wondered this. Not because I think it would be anyones preference. But if there's no candidate they really want, why would begin a cycle with someone you're not fully confident on. There's also a hundred downsides to it, so their view on the available choices would have to be pretty low which I also doubt.

Again, I really don't think it would be their preference for an appointment. But I believe they'll be weighing and discussing every option. ( Well, sensible options. Not bloody Mourinho!)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 12:48:42 pm by Sonofthewind »

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #8915 on: April 16, 2024, 12:47:51 pm »
A lot has changed since Jürgen handed in his notice. It's clear now that the owners are looking for a head coach rather than a manager. Everything relating to player purchases, sales and contracts will be left up to the laptop boys. No managers will want the job, I'm not sure how many head coaches will want the job either especially when they look at the tiny budget the manager has been handed every year for the past 5 or 6 years.
It will absolutely be someone way down the list. Hopefully it won't be another clusterfuck of an appointment like 12 years ago.

Where has this come from? How is anything clear? There hasn’t been a peep out of the club?

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #8916 on: April 16, 2024, 12:56:38 pm »

I’m down in the dumps too after the recent downturn in results and performances.

But I’m nowhere near as negative as you apparently are! We are a very attractive proposition to an elite coach, and most genuine candidates will have experienced a structure similar to our new one. I don’t see why we can’t attract a coach from the names available.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8917 on: April 16, 2024, 01:01:21 pm »

Something that our performances in the last week (3 games) has made me think about - would it be an advantage to find a manager who has less physical demands on his players than Klopp? It feels like our squad is running on fumes despite the minutes played across the season being far better spread for us than City or Arsenal. Am I right to say that it looks physically easier to play under Pep than it does Klopp? And which of these managerial candidates would best fit that criteria of being a bit less demanding on their players' bodies?

I also don't think its a good idea to try like-for-like. That's basically what United tried 10 years ago, and it was a disaster. And there is no one out there who will replicate Klopp anywhere good enough, so something completely different might be what we need.

Absolutely in agreement with the playstyle change for these two reasons. Less demand on the players physically - We've had two seasons written off because too many players were injured/goosed.

And the second reason - I don't want to play Klopp ball with anyone but Klopp. There will be many spin off pressing teams but I'd rather have a change of pace and become a ball playing team. Alonso was really so perfect wasn't he? Still hurts. I'd be happy with Amorim as he feels like he could build something special but if it isn't him.......then I want Emery or De Zerbi.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 01:12:11 pm by PaleBlueDot »

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8918 on: April 16, 2024, 01:02:37 pm »
That's interesting from Ornstein that.

Amorim in but maybe not necessarily top candidate.

Hoeness may be in contention.

The comment of going left field and "not looking for applause but to get it right" may mean someone very different than what we expect.

Names that come to mind on this:

Frank
Motta
Fonseca
Kovac - although isn't he quite a defensive manager, and also not really that good in his last jobs
Hoeness
Slot
Roger Schmidt
Emrey

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #8919 on: April 16, 2024, 01:07:45 pm »

Can't see why Hansi Flick isn't a better option than him. 
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.