Author Topic: 25 Years since the Bradford Stand Fire  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Hong Kong Phewy

• Main Stander
  • Athens day out
25 Years since the Bradford Stand Fire
« on: May 11, 2010, 07:26:44 am »
Again 56 fans did not return from the game. RIP
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:29:06 am by Hong Kong Phewy »

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
Re: 25 Years since the Bradford Stand Fire
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:15:17 am »
And 265 were injured, many of whom still bear the scars. The start of the ghastly trilogy of disasters that changed English football forever and gave us the modern stadia we enjoy today.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 12:24:03 pm »
Absolutely horrific event. There's a video somewhere on youtube and it isn't for the faint-hearted that covers from the moment that the fire starts onwards. The flames engulf the stands in literally 4/5 minutes. It's clear that few knew the full extent of its seriousness, but there lots of absolute heroes that risk their own lives by going back and dragging people out as well.

And to think that Heysel happened less than 20 days later. These events simply should never have been allowed to happen and we should all be thankful for the conditions we've now become accustomed to in modern stadiums.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 01:06:47 pm »
I don't think many younger people understand how bad a lot of the grounds were. I've still got my copy of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' which was released as a fundraiser. All to often overlooked and overshadowed, it was a truly horrendous moment.
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:37:06 pm »
RIP, YNWA.

Went into hospital that day and two days after I came out was Heysel, terrible few weeks for football fans with more to come as we all know too well..
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Unimaginative pisshead!!! +!!
  • Kopite
  • hat, cap, scarf or your banner??
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:31:48 pm »
I know that it's not the same as Heysel and Bradford but the neanderthals that have invaded pitches and tried to kick the proverbial out of each other in the past 2 weeks need to wake up and get a life and go back 25 years!
Keegan to Smith to Keegan and Newcastle were undressed!!!!!
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!

Offline marko35s

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:14:13 am »
I remember watching this on the news the day it happened, couldn't believe how quickly the fire spread. An awful thing to happen to anybody and as somebody mentioned earlier it was the first of a trilogy of disasters that changed the face of football stadia for ever.

Offline Rigga

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 09:38:08 am »
A mate was telling me yesterday that he can remember seeing a policeman with his hair/hat on fire going back into the stands to get more people out!  I won't be hunting out the pictures.

RIP

Offline reddav72

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:55:39 pm »
the names (many related to each other) are listed at bradford fc on a memorial similar to the hillsborough memorial. r i p.
part of the noise!!
i was once told 'why dont you go out and meet somebody' i said 'i dont want to meet somebody. I want to meet everybody'!!

Offline greeny01

• Anny Roader
  • Number One is Carragher....
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 11:51:52 pm »
The Bradford City Fire Memorial is in the town square and can be seen here...

http://www.walkon.no/lfc_ynwa/fire1.jpg

Im from Bradford and remember it like it was yesterday, was my younger brothers 4th Birthday party and remember watching the events on TV, when it should have been a party.  My Dad lost his best friend from when they were kids that day.  A tragic loss, and again another day when fans never made it home, when all they wanted to do was follow there team.  RIP... YNWA

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 04:08:00 pm »
RIP.

I too am from Bradford. was a terrible day. I could see the stand on fire from where we lived (the town centre is in a valley).
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:16:58 pm »
Horrendous incident and I remember being shown the video during my early training in the brigade, it is something I have never forgotten.

Truly dark days for the English game and light years from what we have nowadays.

RIP
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."