Author Topic: Blues.  (Read 27078 times)

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
Blues.
« on: September 30, 2005, 11:16:31 pm »
Tonight on BBC2,  new seven-part series (may have already been on BBC4) called The Blues.

"Leading film directors explore the musical genre through their own styles and perspectives"

Tonight is Martin Scorsese exploring the Missssippi delta blues.

Starts at 11.35pm.

Looking forward to it, Scorsese's love of blues is well documented, should be good.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
Re: All Blues fans...(no not evertonians)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 11:43:40 pm »
Just typed out a post for this, then remembered this thread (at first glance I throught it was going to be a moan about the Chelsea fans). Watching now, made up, finally just got myself Robert Johnsons album the other day to!
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 11:50:05 pm »
Maybe I should have thought of a better title :)

I love that sound of the bluesy twang of the acoustic guitar...gets under your skin.  Can't beat it.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 11:56:44 pm »
Raw music, music from the soul. No fucking way can I ever bitch a fret like that, like Son House just did. Ah they joy of laptops!
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 11:58:42 pm »
Fuck it Limewires on the load!

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #5 on: October 1, 2005, 12:03:54 am »
Doubt George Dubya is a fan either!

:wanker

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 1, 2005, 12:26:04 am »
I wish I didn't have the singing voice of a strangled cat, cause I'd just spend every second of the day playing my guitar and singing these old school blues...fuckin' class.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 1, 2005, 12:41:24 am »
awesome programme
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Redundalk

• Has strong opinions on socks
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • always read the instructions
« Reply #8 on: October 1, 2005, 12:48:46 am »
Who was featured? I love blues music but dont know sonny rollins from the rollins band ;)
Steve Staunton for Emporer of the Universe

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #9 on: October 1, 2005, 12:55:35 am »
I'm a big Freddy King fan, me.

But a new kid outta Queens, NYC called Popa Chubby (fat bastard) is a monster player & singer.

Little Walter, Buddy Guy, Son Seals, met Jeff Healy @ his place in TO. 8)
Kill the humourless

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 1, 2005, 12:57:42 am »
Who was featured? I love blues music but dont know sonny rollins from the rollins band ;)

The Blues - Feel Like Going Home
Directed by Martin Scorsese
Written by Peter Guralnick

Director Martin Scorsese (The Last Waltz, Raging Bull, Gangs of New York) pays homage to the Delta blues. Musician Corey Harris travels through Mississippi and on to West Africa, exploring the roots of the music. The film celebrates the early Delta bluesmen through original performances (including Willie King, Taj Mahal, Otha Turner, and Ali Farka Toure) and rare archival footage (featuring Son House, Muddy Waters, and John Lee Hooker).

Says Scorsese: "I've always felt an affinity for blues music — the culture of storytelling through music is incredibly fascinating and appealing to me. The blues have great emotional resonance and are the foundation for American popular music."

Performances in Feel Like Going Home
Corey Harris
John Lee Hooker *
Son House *
Salif Keita
Habib Koité
Taj Mahal
Ali Farka Toure
Otha Turner
Muddy Waters *
Keb' Mo'
Willie King
Lead Belly *

*indicates archival performance

Interviews in Feel Like Going Home
Corey Harris
Sam Carr
Toumani Diabate
Willie King
Dick Waterman
Taj Mahal
Johnny Shines *
Otha Turner
Ali Farka Toure
Habib Koité
Salif Keita
Keb' Mo'

Also Robert Johnson, Charley Patton and others were talked about.

Just realised that I've seen next weeks(or whenever it is) episode when it was on bbc4, was very good if memory serves.

Offline Redundalk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #11 on: October 1, 2005, 01:02:02 am »
I like Robert Cray, Albert King, SRV  and actaually Eric Clapton. slowhand rocks!

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 1, 2005, 01:08:31 am »
Eric Clapton, BB King, Albert King, Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Son House, Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker...all top class.

Offline Redundalk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #13 on: October 1, 2005, 01:09:55 am »
what about Stevie? tell me you like SRV!

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 1, 2005, 01:15:21 am »
Aye, SRV's class too but my absolute favourite will always be BB or Clapton.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #15 on: October 1, 2005, 01:18:55 am »
John Lee Hooker is the Man... 8)

And Stevie Ray Vaughan superb feel on which the blues is all about......

Offline Redundalk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: October 1, 2005, 01:23:31 am »
was listening to an old clapton album the other day. He really is up there with the greats. i know hes a middle class white boy but jesus can he burn!

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #17 on: October 1, 2005, 02:30:03 am »
was listening to an old clapton album the other day. He really is up there with the greats. i know hes a middle class white boy but jesus can he burn!

I've been to watch him on many occasion, but the one gig that will always stick with me is when he played The Royal Albert Hall ..The cradle to the grave tour 1994...... Pure Blues.... 8)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: October 1, 2005, 02:29:30 pm »
That was a superb show last night - really incredible film making and music.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 7, 2005, 11:32:14 pm »
Bada-bump.

Episode 2 on BBC2 at 23:35, I think it's the one about british blues....if memory serves, this is the best episode of the series (though I could be wrong).

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
« Reply #20 on: October 8, 2005, 01:37:14 pm »
I like a bit of the old blues, just taught myself slide guitar. I know this suggestion might be laughed at, but if you can try and hear the White Stripes covers of the old blues songs by the likes Son House (especially the live version of "Death Letter") or Robert Johnson (Stop breakin' down), you may be pleasantly surprised..or horrified, depending on your particular taste, worth a listen anyway i think.
I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #21 on: October 8, 2005, 02:23:48 pm »
Im sure I saw Rafa standing at the crossroads on the Road to Istnabul ;)

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #22 on: October 9, 2005, 12:56:33 pm »
Once heard the incomparable Bo Diddley in the Village Gate with many all time classics, including You're Ugly and Your Breath Stinks Too"

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 9, 2005, 01:49:17 pm »
Love the Blues. Forgot how many times I've asked people in general conversation, "Do you like Blues music?"...to the sometimes, inevitable reply; "Blues music...that's depressing isn't it?" (or words to that affect). As John Lee Hooker said  if you don't understand/like the Blues, he wouldn't waste time his  talking to you. Have seen some great artists, in my time: Buddy Guy, Albert King, B.B. King, Albert Collins.
Too many favourite Blues musicians, SRV, John Lee Hooker, B.B.King, Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, T-Bone Walker, Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson (II), Robert Johnson, Ray Charles, George Thorogood and Big Joe Turner. Years ago, came across a guy called Roosevelt "Booba" Barnes and his one and only album, "Brokenhearted Man". (Very Muddy Waters like). If you can get your hands on the box set, "Chess Blues", you'll have a gold mine of great music.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline quincyg

• Ultra-lounge lizard and musak lover. The naffer the better.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • can show me Down Under anytime!
« Reply #24 on: October 9, 2005, 02:18:58 pm »
BB King is class. I miss Alexis Korner. He used to play a lot of blues on his radio show in the 80's
"There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

"I'm takin' this bloody car.....All the way to Invercargill!!!"

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 9, 2005, 03:16:29 pm »
"Blues ain't nothin' but a lowdown aching chill,
If you ain't had 'em, I hope you ever will"
                                                                   Son House
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 03:48:24 pm »
Musing on this thread, there's so many unknowns in this genre, it's a pity knowledge of most will die.

Muddy said:  'The blues done had a baby and they called it rock 'n roll'.

Greatest living Yank blues guitarist, imo?  Lonnie Mack.  Maestro of the Flying V.  Doesn't even consider himself a bluesman, calls himself too rock for country, too country for rock 'n roll.  His Oreo cookie blues is a classic and I once heard him do a tune in a small club the line of which went 'I can give up my country, can give up my pickup (truck), won't give up pussy till my dick falls off'.  Last chorus changes to 'Might give up pussy IF my dick falls off'.

Few know that ZZ Top named themselves after legendary Texas bluesman ZZ Hill.  His voice is like Pop Staples, dripping velvet honey.

Guess it's up to arl arses like me to keep you kids informed.8)
Kill the humourless

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 11:40:10 pm »
BBC4 now, Eric Clapton: Searching for Robert Johnson. Seen it before and its good. Only 20mins left if anyone can be arsed watching the end.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Blues.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 02:10:44 pm »
Mornin'

This is a bit of a request more than anything. I've recently got into blues/jazz music (because I was trying to impress a girl  :-*) but haven't got a clue what to buy next.

I've started off with Ella Fitzgerald, BB King, Etta James and Nina Simone. I like what I've heard so far. Can anyone offer any recommendations or show me the light and point me to an old thread?

Chaars...

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
Re: The Blues (not the ones from down the road)
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 02:20:46 pm »
If you want to seduce your woman with the blues you can't go far wrong with this classic

Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 02:46:42 pm »
Muddy Waters.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 02:50:11 pm »
Mornin'

This is a bit of a request more than anything. I've recently got into blues/jazz music (because I was trying to impress a girl  :-*) but haven't got a clue what to buy next.

I've started off with Ella Fitzgerald, BB King, Etta James and Nina Simone. I like what I've heard so far. Can anyone offer any recommendations or show me the light and point me to an old thread?

Chaars...
Good move Ifsea. Not in the impressing stakes, but your choice of music.
The history of Blues and Jazz runs deep. Where do you start?
Let's start with the Blues. Hell, there's Country Blues, Shouting Blues, Boogie,
50's Blues, Gospel Blues, Delta, Chicago, Jump, Texas....the list is long.
You are definitely starting in the right direction when dealing with the Blues.
You got a woman...you like music. (see Son House)
As for Jazz, I'd be looking at Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane...but if you're pushed for time...move straight to Miles Davis.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 02:54:08 pm »
Muddy Waters.
You smooth talker.
Straight to top shelf. ;)

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 03:06:37 pm »
Robert Johnson, Lightning Hopkins, Son House, Freddie King....

If you want to seduce your woman with the blues you can't go far wrong with this classic....
I have that album.  It's actually quite good.

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 03:18:08 pm »

Yup, me too  8)

Go on Art,

Give Homer a goatee, Make Marge look like Torres, Bart like Gerrard, Maggie could be Agger and Lisa could be Carra , then change the title to Liverpool Sing The Blues  ;)
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 04:06:13 pm »
Go on Art,

Give Homer a goatee, Make Marge look like Torres, Bart like Gerrard, Maggie could be Agger and Lisa could be Carra , then change the title to Liverpool Sing The Blues  ;)
If I have a free moment later....

Here's some lightnin' hopkins..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLIllaTgnNI

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 11:01:05 pm »
Robert Johnson, Lightning Hopkins, Son House, Freddie King....

Excellent suggestions.

I notice the OP liked female singers so I'd have to add Bessie Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ7S2w6v2No

That clip is just the very best. Just wait til it kicks in about half-way through, magical.

I do like Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee as well. Theres quite a bit of them on youtube, heres a clip with Pete Seeger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuyaf5YBGh8

They do the best Rock Island Line too for my money.

Edit: I just watched that Bessie Smith clip again after posting the link. If you dont get goosebumps by the end of it theres something wrong with you.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:09:01 pm by Bootle »

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 11:12:27 pm »
Excellent suggestions.

I notice the OP liked female singers so I'd have to add Bessie Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ7S2w6v2No

That clip is just the very best. Just wait til it kicks in about half-way through, magical.

I do like Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee as well. Theres quite a bit of them on youtube, heres a clip with Pete Seeger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuyaf5YBGh8

They do the best Rock Island Line too for my money.

Edit: I just watched that Bessie Smith clip again after posting the link. If you dont get goosebumps by the end of it theres something wrong with you.

Class, love them too. Sonny & Brownie are absolutely fantastic. A few others; Blind Willie McTell, Skip James, Odetta, Mahaila Jackson.

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 07:35:50 pm »
SRV
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.