Author Topic: Liverpool vs Spurs (A) - Sun 31st Aug - 13:30 KO - SS1  (Read 65767 times)

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool vs Spurs (A) - Sun 31st Aug - 13:30 KO - SS1
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2014, 01:57:33 am »

I'm all for playing like Dortmund let's go all out and try to smash and grab a result. Real played a silk mar formation last yr diamond where everyone was compact attackers and Xabi who is not very fast played at the base in front of the back 4. All the attacking flair could cause panic in their back line, plus Allan is not a starter against better teams he's to small and offers nothing in terms of a goal threat. That was a huge problem in the first two games Sturridge has been to isolated and everyone else getting around the box bar Sterling acts like its a foreign land.

Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA

Offline Canuck33

• Anny Roader
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2014, 02:00:53 am »
They obviously weak in the fullback positions and we should target that,sterling and markovic on the flanks with sturridge upfront and we will smash them with our quick pace when they play the high line.

Mignolet

Manquillo           Lovren        Sakho         Moreno (Enrique)

Gerrard

Henderson     Coutinho

Sterling              Sturridge           Markovic

I was just about to post this when I saw it. This should be the formation for the Tottenham game. Playing Sterling and Markovic wide will keep their FBs at bay. Lovren and Sakho would give us a bit more front foot defence. The only change to this XI might be Allen for Coutinho, on merit.

Offline Canuck33

• Anny Roader
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2014, 02:05:14 am »
Anyone who is clamoring for Johnson to Olay in this game is off their flicking rocker, he's been terrible sine the middle of last season:

Mignolet
Manquillo -Lovren-Sahko- Moreno/Enrique
                      Gerrard
   Sterling                      Markovic
                     Couthino
            Sturridge     Ballotelli

Wow. Is that from FIFA or FM?

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2014, 02:05:40 am »
I'm all for playing like Dortmund let's go all out and try to smash and grab a result. Real played a silk mar formation last yr diamond where everyone was compact attackers and Xabi who is not very fast played at the base in front of the back 4. All the attacking flair could cause panic in their back line, plus Allan is not a starter against better teams he's to small and offers nothing in terms of a goal threat. That was a huge problem in the first two games Sturridge has been to isolated and everyone else getting around the box bar Sterling acts like its a foreign land.

We just can't play Gerrard who at times is slow as hell and out of position + attackers. We'd slaughtered.

Henderson energy is absolutely vital to our system and about Allen being "small" - people seem to forget how he absolutely destroyed Yaya Toure once. He played in 5:0 away match vs Spurs too.
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2014, 04:50:47 am »
SO most of us may get our wish and see a Sakho Lovren partnership

Very much doubt that is going to happen. It will be Skrtel and Lovren, if Sktrel is fit. That's Rodgers #1 CB pairing.

I think if Sakho does get in to the team it will be because of an injury, and that could be Sunday, but like I say Sktrel will start if fit.
YWNA

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2014, 05:11:37 am »
Mig
Manqillo sakho/skrtel lovren moreno/enrique
Gerrard
Henderson coutinho
Sterling            markovic
Sturridge

Or play the diamond with mario in for markovic. I'm delighted just knowing that if it starts going against us we can bring on players who are of an equal standard to try change the game.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2014, 05:19:06 am »
Mig
Manqillo sakho/skrtel lovren moreno/enrique
Gerrard
Henderson coutinho
Sterling            markovic
Sturridge

Or play the diamond with mario in for markovic. I'm delighted just knowing that if it starts going against us we can bring on players who are of an equal standard to try change the game.
Coutinho can't start for me. That is his best position but the timing & the opposition makes it a big no. He exceeded in that role in wins against Everton & Arsenal because the team were at their peak fitness levels & were using high octane pressing tactics. Allen & Henderson were very effective against the Spurs midfield last season & will need to be again to not leave Gerrard isolated against Lamela, Eriksen & Chadli. Coutinho should definitely come on for Allen in the second half though. Then he will have the energy to help Gerrard & be creative.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2014, 07:40:16 am »
Coutinho can't start for me. That is his best position but the timing & the opposition makes it a big no. He exceeded in that role in wins against Everton & Arsenal because the team were at their peak fitness levels & were using high octane pressing tactics. Allen & Henderson were very effective against the Spurs midfield last season & will need to be again to not leave Gerrard isolated against Lamela, Eriksen & Chadli. Coutinho should definitely come on for Allen in the second half though. Then he will have the energy to help Gerrard & be creative.

My problem with Allen is that he doesn't really create very much and doesn't drive the game forward.  Also spurs aren't going to be the same pushovers they were last season. I'd rather see lallana start instead of him. Also id prefer we batter them early and then close up than set up to win in the second half.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2014, 07:51:56 am »
Like to see 2 up top hopefully Balotelli and Sturridge and Markovic start with Coutinho dropped to the bench .

Thought Rodgers got formations wrong for the start of both first games , need to get it right on Sunday

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
  • Anny Roader
  • That's how they roll.
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2014, 08:18:02 am »
Shababs. Marhaba.

This week as been a sole searching exercise for the wife, her recent Tea leaf reading have been way of the mark, and frankly, I found myself questioning those experiments on her recent trip to Thailand with that Strong Black African, they exhausted her concentration, to see what was clearly written in the Tea Leaves.

I have convinced her to go back to last seasons blend, of Sri Lankan Orange Pique, and Indian Assam a much more consistent blend, bright and full of body. She accepted my concerns and conducted a reading.

The Tea leaves see a game where Spurs will for some time park the Bus and will want us to try and penetrate them, Brendan will have to navigate the Apostles through by being Bold. The game will be a long hard affair and we must not let them, slip in behind us, the planet Uranus is in their favour and we must resist, the temptation of letting them come from behind, by trying to stop them turning us over.

The game will be won, by the team, manager, player who seeks to show Flair The Tea Leaves shined bright like a Diamond and this should be the formation to be used if we are to succeed.

Spurs 0 - 2 Liverpool  Away win

That's how they rolled, Inshallah.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:02:54 am by JohnM »
JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2014, 08:24:11 am »
This game was the turning point for this Liverpool team last year.

At that point we had got some gritty wins, held on by our shirt tails to the top 4. Lost at Christmas twice and suddenly were struggling.

Then we faced Spurs away, and at the time this was a very, very losable game.

We came out and were brilliant. In my opinion the best performance we gave (as it turned out there were 20 to choose from).

This site was terrified before that match. But what a performance.

We can do this again at the weekend.  Once again this fixture might define our season.  Brendan, believe like you did last year.  Give flair and bold tactics a chance. Play with no fear!

Lets see Markovic, Lallana, and Balotelli involved for long periods!!

Lets rip them apart and set the bar for where we can go to this year.

Play the Rodgers way. No fear. Express the talent and enjoy our game.

I think it was my favourite game last year. I was in London for a Monday meeting and watched it at Ruse. Ended up getting so smashed that the meeting was absolutely horrendous. Worth it though.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2014, 09:06:13 am »
We can do this again at the weekend. 

Nah...last season was one-off IMO...a perfect storm of post-monkeyboy blues, a manager on the ropes, down and waiting for the ref's count - Rodger's master-plan clicking into place and a young marauding side taking their lead from a certain goofy genius..........prior to that we'd lost at White Hart Lane for five years on the bounce - it's a tricky arle ground for us and I expect it to be so on Sunday...it's not the Spurs of last season - I'll take a begrudged draw
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2014, 09:12:37 am »
SO most of us may get our wish and see a Sakho Lovren partnership

Hopefully. If they start together I hope they both have a really good game and become undroppable. 

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2014, 09:15:29 am »
Very much doubt that is going to happen. It will be Skrtel and Lovren, if Sktrel is fit. That's Rodgers #1 CB pairing.

I think if Sakho does get in to the team it will be because of an injury, and that could be Sunday, but like I say Sktrel will start if fit.

I think that's why he was saying it, because Skrtel looks like he might be out..

And taking a draw, fuck that. There's only a few places I would take a point before the game has started; City away, Chelsea away, and possibly Arsenal away.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2014, 09:17:07 am »
Wouldn't want to start with Coutinho AND Markovic away to Spurs. Would have Allen or Lallana in there instead of Coutinho.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 28, 2014, 09:27:50 am »
Wouldn't want to start with Coutinho AND Markovic away to Spurs. Would have Allen or Lallana in there instead of Coutinho.

Because coutinho ___________?

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2014, 09:40:07 am »
Absolutely dreading this. Pochetinno is a top, top manager. I'd be happy with a draw to be honest.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2014, 09:40:31 am »
Because coutinho ___________?
Has been poor in both out games

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: August 28, 2014, 09:57:10 am »

Anyone who is clamoring for Johnson to Olay in this game is off their flicking rocker, he's been terrible sine the middle of last season:

Mignolet
Manquillo -Lovren-Sahko- Moreno/Enrique
                      Gerrard
   Sterling                      Markovic
                     Couthino
            Sturridge     Ballotelli

Calling people off their rocker and then putting up a team like that...

Bahahaha.

Offline creed111

• Anny Roader
« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2014, 09:58:12 am »
This game was the turning point for this Liverpool team last year.

At that point we had got some gritty wins, held on by our shirt tails to the top 4. Lost at Christmas twice and suddenly were struggling.

Then we faced Spurs away, and at the time this was a very, very losable game.

We came out and were brilliant. In my opinion the best performance we gave (as it turned out there were 20 to choose from).

This site was terrified before that match. But what a performance.

We can do this again at the weekend.  Once again this fixture might define our season.  Brendan, believe like you did last year.  Give flair and bold tactics a chance. Play with no fear!

Lets see Markovic, Lallana, and Balotelli involved for long periods!!

Lets rip them apart and set the bar for where we can go to this year.

Play the Rodgers way. No fear. Express the talent and enjoy our game.

Not that the chronology matters much but the Spurs game was before Christmas. Thrased them which is what gave so many of us confidence going in that grueling three day stretch visiting the Etihad and then the Bridge back-to-back.

Now to this year's game. I'm gonna say it now so people don't say I'm knee-jerking afterwards but we better go with an Allen-Lucas-Hendo midfield three as that's the midfield that was imperious at the Lane last year. Gerrard got hurt in the West Ham game prior to the Spurs game and we used those 3 in midfield and we put in what I thought was our most comprehensive performance for the season. People are more anti-Lucas then they've ever been because of his lackluster performance vs Southhampton in the double-pivot but they ignore the fact that he's spent the last several years as a lone pivot and he's miles better as a lone pivot. Granted, the lack of sharpness and closing speed are factors now but to me there isn't a better midfielder in our squad in regards to CONSISTENT positioning than Lucas when he's the sole anchor. Allen probably is up there too but I don't think we've ever used him as the lone pivot.

Caveat: I freaking LOVE Christian Eriksen btw. Sure bash me all you want but I'm still butt-hurt we didn't buy him. He was one of those players we were linked with for several windows in a row, and considering before Coutinho we hadn't had a true #10 in years if not decades (probably Barnes considering Gerrard was more all-action and Owen wore #10 but wasn't in the trequartista mold) I really wanted him. Then last summer his price tage was being tauted at only 10-11 mill I though (and still think) we should have been all over that. Eriksen is versatile like BR loves, can score and theead through balls and has a wicked free-kick, both in terms of scoring from a dead-ball and sending in danger balls
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:03:47 am by creed111 »
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

- Tyrion

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #180 on: August 28, 2014, 10:02:46 am »
Spurs are about the 6th best team in the league so a well fought 3 points should be the minimum expectation here. A draw would be tolerable.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2014, 10:08:23 am »
Blimey.

I'd sit Gerrard out for this one because he may struggle against the pressing of a Pochettino side, and some are posting formations with him as the only midfielder  :o

13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2014, 10:18:47 am »
Shababs. Marhaba.

This week as been a sole searching exercise for the wife, her recent Tea leaf reading have been way of the mark, and frankly, I found myself questioning those experiments on her recent trip to Thailand with that Strong Black African, they exhausted her concentration, to see what was clearly written in the Tea Leaves.

I have convinced her to go back to last seasons blend, of Sri Lankan Orange Pique, and Indian Assam a much more consistent blend, bright and full of body. She accepted my concerns and conducted a reading.

The Tea leaves see a game where Spurs will for some time park the Bus and will want us to try and penetrate them, Brendan will have to navigate the Apostles through by being Bold. The game will be a long hard affair and we must not let them, slip in behind us, the planet Uranus is in their favour and we must resist, the temptation of letting them come from behind, by trying to stop them turning us over.

The game will be won, by the team, manager, player who seeks to show Flare. The Tea Leaves shined bright like a Diamond and this should be the formation to be used if we are to succeed.

Spurs 0 - 2 Liverpool  Away win

That's how they rolled, Inshallah.

Argh, just stop this.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2014, 10:20:37 am »
I'd go with a diamond. Lambert and Sturridge, sterling in the 10, Hendo and Allen and Gerrard.

Gives us the option to bring Mario on, Coutinho on and Markovic too if we need those type of changes, they can fit on seamlessly. 

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2014, 10:28:36 am »
I'd go with a diamond. Lambert and Sturridge, sterling in the 10, Hendo and Allen and Gerrard.

Gives us the option to bring Mario on, Coutinho on and Markovic too if we need those type of changes, they can fit on seamlessly.
id go diamond too but probably start with mario,he would worry their defence more than lambert and drag more defenders to him leaving more room for sterling and sturridge.
Probably harsh on lambert after scoring his first goal but mario carries a lot more fear factor and would be right up for this match. Can see a 1-3 win.
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2014, 10:34:39 am »
id go diamond too but probably start with mario,he would worry their defence more than lambert and drag more defenders to him leaving more room for sterling and sturridge.
Probably harsh on lambert after scoring his first goal but mario carries a lot more fear factor and would be right up for this match. Can see a 1-3 win.

It was Zabaleta's own goal, sadly.
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2014, 10:39:30 am »
Has been poor in both out games

but he mentions not wanting both Markovic AND Coutinho, but Lallana would be ok in spite of never having played for us at all, not even in pre-season.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:20 am »
but he mentions not wanting both Markovic AND Coutinho, but Lallana would be ok in spite of never having played for us at all, not even in pre-season.

For me, Coutinho's place was under threat when Lallana came as he was the least consistent in our midfield and attack. If fit, Lallana starts for me.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:40 am »
Spurs are about the 6th best team in the league so a well fought 3 points should be the minimum expectation here. A draw would be tolerable.

i'd say they're better than United and everton. and anything less than a win would be disappointing.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2014, 10:44:56 am »
For me, Coutinho's place was under threat when Lallana came as he was the least consistent in our midfield and attack. If fit, Lallana starts for me.

i see your point and agree to an extent, but i think cou's miles better in the middle of the pitch than he is out wide, and i'd rather see Lallana brought on as a sub.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2014, 10:59:07 am »
They've got a game today against AEL Limassol, here's to a European hangover.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2014, 12:16:23 pm »
Not that the chronology matters much but the Spurs game was before Christmas. Thrased them which is what gave so many of us confidence going in that grueling three day stretch visiting the Etihad and then the Bridge back-to-back.

Ah sorry you're right mate! Still I'm sure you get my point... Spurs was the major first sign of what potential we had in our team.

And by the way I agree absolutely with your chat about our midfield. Lucas/Allen/Henderson would definitely be my choice too. Or if we want to be more adventurous I wouldn't mind Allen/Henderson/Lallana.....

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2014, 12:36:52 pm »
Not one for formations, me. Good shout that Gerrard was missing last year, wonder if Rodgers will let lightning strike twice?

Whatever, spurs fans should come away from the game saying it's fair enough, they were beaten by last season's second best team.

Offline ohms12

• Boys Pen
« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2014, 01:14:17 pm »

Start the game all guns blazing, high tempo with Markovic playing? Yes, that'd do just nicely.

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2014, 01:31:41 pm »
Absolutely dreading this. Pochetinno is a top, top manager. I'd be happy with a draw to be honest.

I notice that since the retiring Sith Lord wrote a book in which he said gerrard wasn't a "...top, top..." player it's become thee standard compliment.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline kb2x

• Kopite
  • The Mystery Continues....
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2014, 01:49:53 pm »
I'm going up with a mate who is a Spurs season ticket holder, so sitting in with their fans.

I'd go for

Migs
Manquillo
Sahko
Lovren
Moreno/Enrique

Gerrard
Henderson
Allen

Sterling
Balotelli
Sturridge

S: Jones, Skrtel, Lucas, Markovic, Lallana, Lambert, Coutinho

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2014, 01:51:54 pm »

Certainly affected them last year- their post-EL record was atrocious. Fingers crossed.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2014, 02:07:29 pm »
Not very confident at the moment. Hoping for a strong reaction against Spurs. It is going to be a transitional season for us I think. The new players settling in will take time.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2014, 02:22:19 pm »
Not very confident at the moment. Hoping for a strong reaction against Spurs. It is going to be a transitional season for us I think. The new players settling in will take time.

I'm not sure that's a valid excuse given we've only been starting games with 2 new players. It's pretty much last years team, they're just under performing.

But we did the same thing at the start of last season. We just had an easier fixture list and were able to nick victories whilst playing poorly. Whilst we were getting those victories i was very critical on here of our performances. But they improved as we got into the season and i'm expecting(hoping) for the same this time.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2014, 02:31:16 pm »
All depends on who is fit but if all recover this week then I love to see something like this

................Mignolet
Johnson...Skrtel...Lovren...Moreno
...................SG
Markovic.......Lallana......Sterling
..........Sturridge ..Ballotelli

Its away from home so more than likely Henderson will start with Markovic out but if the above ever started then there is a huge onus on Sterling, Lallana & Markovic to track up & down the park to help out. Honestly Its going to be tough to start all those attacking players in the side at one time but feeling free spirited today ;)
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I