Author Topic: Zonal Marking  (Read 17451 times)

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Zonal Marking
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2009, 04:17:04 pm »
Zonal Marking or whatever it is... We are defending like average school kids, forgetting how to mark players, and lacking concentration. They have to buck their ideas up, and get DEFENDING properly as they are paid to do. There is no excuses.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2009, 04:18:54 pm »
Zonal Marking or whatever it is... We are defending like average school kids, forgetting how to mark players, and lacking concentration. They have to buck their ideas up, and get DEFENDING properly as they are paid to do. There is no excuses.
Not worried about the system , worried about how bad were using it to defend ..

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2009, 04:20:15 pm »
Set-piece goals conceded:

Liverpool 10 77% of total conceded
Pompey 9 60%
Chelsea 6 75%
Arsenal 5 46%
City 4 50%
Man Utd 0 0%

Liverpool have conceded the most goals from set pieces in the prem, and have the highest % of goals from set pieces conceded

Our goals conceded this season ... were 10 from set pieces ?

Spurs 2  - Shot from a cleared corner and a free kick
Villa 3 - Pen, deflected free kick, and corner
Bolton 2 - ??? Think one was a long free kick
West Ham 2 - pen and a corner
Hull 1  - no cross from open play headed back across goal
Chelsea 2  - no. bithe crosses from open play from dropba
Sunderland 1  - No - Unless the Beach ball counts as a set peice move

Do you use zonal marking , not debating what system is better , just wondering.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2009, 04:21:58 pm »
Sunderland 1  - No - Unless the Beach ball counts as a set peice move
Do utd use zonal marking , not debating what system is better , just wondering.

;D

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2009, 04:27:18 pm »

Pompey 9 60%
Chelsea 6 75%
Arsenal 5 46%
City 4 50%
Man Utd 0 0%

Liverpool have conceded the most goals from set pieces in the prem, and have the highest % of goals from set pieces conceded

Our goals conceded this season ... were 10 from set pieces ?

Spurs 2 - we didn't defend the free kick zonally and it was scored from the cleared re bound.
Villa 3 - one was a penalty(did reina defend that zonally? and its not exactly a set piece is it even if it is a dead ball situation ist totally diff from a corner/free kick)
Bolton 2
West Ham 2 - one was a penalty
Hull 1 - open play
Chelsea 2 - both open play
Sunderland 1 - open play/offside Beach ball

Do utd use zonal marking , not debating what system is better , just wondering.

thats 7/13 thats were deffo nothing to do with zonal marking nor a set piece which only leaves 6
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:30:25 pm by LFCfan4Life »
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2009, 04:46:11 pm »
Not worried about the system , worried about how bad were using it to defend ..
Exactly Rocco. FFS... I havnt seen so much shambolic defending by a top side in a long time. Once upon a time, one simple error in defence used to get analysed in deep detail... You can write a book about the mistakes already this Season.
I mentioned this the other day. No one in this team is not replaceable. This goes to Carragher too. I would like him to be given a couple of games break to give his brain a break and his arse a good kicking.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2009, 05:07:48 pm »
As it was said on Champions League Goals last night the Keeper should decide how his defenders line up for any set piece, as he's the one whos got to pick it up out of the net if it goes in. If Reina thinks that the Zonal marking is the reason we've conceded so many then Rafa should listen to him and make a change. Obviously we don't know if anythings been said. But IMO Reina should be deciding with his goal keeping coaches the best way for the defendes to line up

hoonin

« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2009, 05:26:42 pm »

Pompey 9 60%
Chelsea 6 75%
Arsenal 5 46%
City 4 50%
Man Utd 0 0%

Ah, nice one rocco. Saw that in the Sunday Times the other day but chucked the sports section away so forgot the exact numbers.

thats 7/13 thats were deffo nothing to do with zonal marking nor a set piece which only leaves 6

Several have come from 2nd or 3rd phase balls after the initial set piece, i.e. when the players have been moved out of their starting positions. Whether it's zonal marking or not we have a problem clearing the ball from set pieces.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 05:28:52 pm by Gareth »

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: October 21, 2009, 06:10:20 pm »
Several have come from 2nd or 3rd phase balls after the initial set piece, i.e. when the players have been moved out of their starting positions. Whether it's zonal marking or not we have a problem clearing the ball from set pieces.

agree with the spurs one was shit a clearance

but the two pens, hull, chelsea and sunderland were nothing at all to do with dodgy defending at set pieces or a bad clearance etc so in reality its max 7/13 which were from set pieces
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2010, 02:26:11 pm »
So can anyone say if Roy uses zonal or what?

Gray on the box yesterday made a big point of the fact that on a corner against us, we went man for man. In contrast, see the following quote from this piece, as reproduced for a thread on here, about when Roy went to Sweden.

Suddenly they were playing very aggressive attacking football in a 4-4-2. They introduced zonal marking in place of man-to-man marking, and played a high line of defence.

So which is it?

royhendo

« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2010, 02:39:26 pm »
The Swedish reference is about zonal marking in open play I think Corkboy.

MOTD2 covered it last night - it's the standard 'two totems in the 6 yard box to attack the ball and everybody else tracks their man' type deal. No more Cahill sneak-type goals if that's true... or if there are, at least we'll be able to blame someone. ;D

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2010, 02:41:38 pm »
So can anyone say if Roy uses zonal or what?

Gray on the box yesterday made a big point of the fact that on a corner against us, we went man for man. In contrast, see the following quote from this piece, as reproduced for a thread on here, about when Roy went to Sweden.

So which is it?

funny the telegraph said we had abandoned zonal to go to man marking.

haven't seen the game yet but will hit this up when i view.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2010, 02:42:02 pm »

MOTD2 covered it last night - it's the standard 'two totems in the 6 yard box to attack the ball and everybody else tracks their man' type deal. No more Cahill sneak-type goals if that's true... or if there are, at least we'll be able to blame someone. ;D

Cheers, Roy, I have MOTD2 recorded, will give it a watch.

royhendo

« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2010, 02:45:30 pm »
Cheers, Roy, I have MOTD2 recorded, will give it a watch.

On the iplayer as of Tuesday aswell apparently. It'll be interesting to see how we do. We threatened a little from our own set pieces so fingers crossed it becomes a feature of our play.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2010, 03:01:13 pm »

Who can we blame then for losing Chamakh for their goal or was Pepe detailed to man mark him at corners.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

royhendo

« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2010, 03:04:12 pm »
Who can we blame then for losing Chamakh for their goal or was Pepe detailed to man mark him at corners.

The party line says "Pepe is the best keeper in the world but it's 100% his fault" (and it wasn't a corner).

Offline McFan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2010, 03:11:10 pm »
Think it was man to man with Gerrard covering the zone around the corner of the 6 yard box, player on each post, and Masch hanging back on the edge of the area keeping an eye on any runners.

Man City marked zones against Spurs and it worked on at least one occasion. Ball was headed clear, but it fell to Huddlestone whose volleyed attempt was saved by Hart.

Watching us mark man to man yesterday, it struck me how chaotic a system it is purely on a visual level, and how easy it is to lose the man you're supposed to be marking. Not knocking the system - if we're successful with it then great. Just an observation.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:15:27 pm by McFan »

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2010, 03:14:38 pm »
We used man to man bar the 3 circled that were zonal (which motd2 conveniently highlighted as the end of zonal marking) and one on the edge of the box.

Skrtel certainly looked better man to man. But it's early days yet.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2010, 05:28:35 pm »
I always understood Roy used a mixture of zonal and man-to-man marking at Fulham, so I'd have expected that to continue with us?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2010, 09:26:57 pm »
I noticed once in the first half we had a man on each post for a corner but we didn't repeat it. I much prefer it, its something we didn't do under Rafa.

Indeed Ngog would have scored from a lovely header had Arsenal not employ it.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2010, 09:34:11 pm »
Watching us mark man to man yesterday, it struck me how chaotic a system it is purely on a visual level, and how easy it is to lose the man you're supposed to be marking. Not knocking the system - if we're successful with it then great. Just an observation.

That's the thing though, isn't it. Both systems have clear advantages and disadvantages. The thing is that both systems work when they're employed correctly and nobody makes any mistakes. Stupid thing is that footballers are still human and make mistakes. You'll have teams conceded goals from corners whether they're marking man to man or zonal. It's just that because Rafa was using zonal-marking people (commentators?) were talking about it as if it was the only reason why we've conceded from a corner.

It's a bit harder to see who may have made the mistake and commentators probably couldn't be bothered actually looking at what's going on. With man-marking it's pretty easy for them to pick out the one player who lost the guy he should have been marking. That's why with zonal it's the system's fault and with man-marking it's the player's fault, when in reality it's always some player's fault no matter what system you're using...

I noticed once in the first half we had a man on each post for a corner but we didn't repeat it. I much prefer it, its something we didn't do under Rafa.

Indeed Ngog would have scored from a lovely header had Arsenal not employ it.

To be fair, it worked for Arsenal yesterday, but when we conceded that goal at home against the Mancs (don't know which season it was, but we lost and I think Tevez scored) we used players on the posts and Yossi was too slow getting out and played Tevez onside. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:35:53 pm by stoa »

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2010, 09:36:32 pm »
I always understood Roy used a mixture of zonal and man-to-man marking at Fulham, so I'd have expected that to continue with us?

didnt we do the same under rafa i.e. a mix of the two

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2010, 10:14:05 pm »
that's sky blasphemous mate, Rafa only employed zonal marking in both boxes for our attacking and defensive set pieces and don't forget the zonal marking when we kicked off.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2010, 12:36:16 pm »
The party line says "Pepe is the best keeper in the world but it's 100% his fault" (and it wasn't a corner).

That's the rub though, probably at that time of the game and in that position 70-80% of teams in the Premiership would of treated that position exactly as a corner.

So what do you do, mark up man to man as if it's a corner or do you mark up zonally or do you wait until the ball is in the air and then decide. If they take a short corner or throw the ball short for someone to cross surely that is no longer a corner.

The truth is when you mark man to man you also mark zonally if an attacker leaves the area and runs to the half way line you don't follow him. When you mark zonally when someone is in your zone you go man to man on him.

It's pretty obvious that all teams use a mixture of zonal and man to man depending on the situation so why can't Sky, football pundits and the great Slywashed understand this.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2010, 10:22:47 pm »
Damn Rafa and his zonal marking!

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2010, 10:24:41 pm »
Would Zonal marking have helped when a player climbs over the back of our defender?  I think not.

Let's not constantly refer to zonal whenever we concede a goal please, it'll be like some kind of bizarre reversal of sky sports.

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2010, 10:24:48 pm »
If you don't attack the ball or are poor in the air/ a small team, no matter what system you use your going to get found out. End of
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2010, 10:27:26 pm »
man city scored the most goals from set pieces last season

wouldnt worry too much about the goal tonight

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2010, 10:44:45 pm »
Would have been offside if we hadn't marked the posts!

Offline McFan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2010, 10:49:57 pm »
That's the thing though, isn't it. Both systems have clear advantages and disadvantages. The thing is that both systems work when they're employed correctly and nobody makes any mistakes. Stupid thing is that footballers are still human and make mistakes. You'll have teams conceded goals from corners whether they're marking man to man or zonal. It's just that because Rafa was using zonal-marking people (commentators?) were talking about it as if it was the only reason why we've conceded from a corner.

It's a bit harder to see who may have made the mistake and commentators probably couldn't be bothered actually looking at what's going on. With man-marking it's pretty easy for them to pick out the one player who lost the guy he should have been marking. That's why with zonal it's the system's fault and with man-marking it's the player's fault, when in reality it's always some player's fault no matter what system you're using...

To be fair, it worked for Arsenal yesterday, but when we conceded that goal at home against the Mancs (don't know which season it was, but we lost and I think Tevez scored) we used players on the posts and Yossi was too slow getting out and played Tevez onside. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't...

Agree with everything you say. Just taking some getting used to :P

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2010, 11:54:33 pm »
man city scored the most goals from set pieces last season

wouldnt worry too much about the goal tonight

richards is good in the air but twice tonight he easily outjumped agger, agger was floundering like he did against standard liege away.
not a good sign from someone who is a natural centre back

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2010, 01:03:55 am »
If you don't attack the ball or are poor in the air/ a small team, no matter what system you use your going to get found out. End of

Offline wideawakewesley

• Kopite
  • We all bleed red, so take the hint!
    • Weekly Geekly
« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2010, 02:47:24 pm »
Every week, Betfair Football's star tipster Andy Gray will be picking out and answering his favourite question out of those he is asked on Twitter and Facebook. Here's his answer to this week's poser...

"Andy, Liverpool have conceded two goals from corners so far this season. Maybe zonal marking under Benitez wasn't so bad?" - @Zonal_Marking

That's a good question, mate. The way I see it goals are going to come from corners from time to time, whatever method you choose to defend them.

Rafael Benitez famously preferred zonal whilst Roy Hodgson is more a fan of man-to-man but it's less about which of the two methods is better than about the players defending the corner properly.

If it's man-to-man you're going with, you need to stick with your player and do everything you can (within the laws of the game or otherwise, as long as it doesn't result in a penalty) to stop him from scoring.

Fernando Torres letting Dimitar Berbatov get a free header on Sunday was an example of a player not doing his job properly and his team paying the price, but then again some would question the wisdom of having an attacker marking an opponent who is one of the team's best headers of the ball.

You look at teams like Stoke and Bolton scoring from corners time and time again throughout the season and however much you plan during the week you can't legislate for someone out-jumping your defender or a deflection finding the back of the net. Goals will come from corners and that's just part of the game.

http://www.betfairfootball.com/premier-league/liverpool/andy-discusses-liverpools-man-marking-230910.html

The next time he bumps into Rafa, an apology is needed.

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2010, 03:24:44 pm »
Good Video here on Zonal marking and Man Marking pointing out the Rafa way and the Hodg way.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/premier-league/video/regularfeatures-20681957/22051563

We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #194 on: September 23, 2010, 04:00:30 pm »
Good Video here on Zonal marking and Man Marking pointing out the Rafa way and the Hodg way.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/premier-league/video/regularfeatures-20681957/22051563

Is there an alternate source? The video isnt available in my location.

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2010, 04:41:09 pm »
Is there an alternate source? The video isnt available in my location.

Sorry I don't know.  It seems to be off the Fifa 11 website looking at alternate styles of defending and they specifically compare Rafa and Hodgson on Zonal and Man Marking.  Maybe you could track it down on the Fifa 11 game site.
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2010, 11:12:43 am »
I miss zonal marking.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2010, 11:19:02 am »
I miss zonal marking.

I don't. I miss having good players who can defend though.

The 2 seasons before this one were pretty shite in  terms of defending set pieces, and this one's no different.

It's pretty obvious (and has been for ages) that we're a shit team on set pieces. It's arguably cost us a Champions League final and a semi final in the last 3 years for a couple of examples.

I wonder when we'll finally spend the £5-10m on a decent CB... most important position on the pitch to improve and has been for at least 2 years in my opinion.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2010, 11:35:45 am »
I wonder when we'll finally spend the £5-10m

I wonder too.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2010, 11:40:22 am »
I wonder too.

well this season it was spent on Koncheskey. Fucking Koncheskey!
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”