Author Topic: Belfast Riots  (Read 16661 times)

Offline gentleman

• Main Stander
  • Flippin' idiots
Belfast Riots
« on: September 10, 2005, 09:44:33 pm »
BELFAST (Reuters) - Protestant demonstrators clashed with police in Belfast on Saturday, hurling blast bombs, petrol bombs and bricks after a contentious parade by Orangemen near a nationalist area of the city.

Heavily armed riot police fired baton rounds and used water cannon on the angry crowd of around 500 on west Belfast's Springfield Road, and officers also confronted stone-throwing mobs in the north and east of the city.

"We are coming under sustained attack in west Belfast, where there is a serious situation going on, and there are sporadic outbreaks of stone throwing elsewhere in the city," a police spokeswoman said.

She said four officers and two civilians had been injured, one of the civilians with serious gunshot wounds. There were also unconfirmed reports that two officers had been injured by a blast bomb.

She said what was believed to be machinegun fire had been heard on the Springfield Road. A car had been hijacked and set on fire in north Belfast and other vehicles, including a bus, hijacked in the city centre.

The Protestant Orangemen and their supporters had been angered by a decision earlier this week by Northern Ireland's independent Parades Commission to re-route their planned march away from a nationalist enclave on the Springfield Road because of opposition from residents.

Trouble broke out as they approached the contested section of the march, which had been postponed from earlier in the year.

Every summer thousands of Orangemen, wearing colourful regalia and playing music, engage in "a marching season" to celebrate the 17th century defeat in battle of Catholic King James II by the Protestant William of Orange.

Most Catholics in the province regard the marches as an offensive display of triumphalism.

Earlier this week the Orange Order said the decision to re-route Saturday's march was the latest in a series of attempts to "erode Protestant culture" and deny Orangemen their rights, and called on followers to support the parade.

Tension has mounted recently in Protestant communities on the view that the British government has moved too fast to reduce its security presence in the province without any concrete action by the IRA to disarm.

In July the IRA said it was ending its 30-year armed campaign against British rule in Northern Ireland and pledged to dump its weapons, but so far it has shown no sign of doing so.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-09-10T185214Z_01_WRI061738_RTRUKOC_0_UK-IRISH-RIOTING.xml

I know there's been basically a riot every night recently in Belfast, but this one seems to be getting serious and there are fears it'll spread throughout Northern Ireland.  Later reports on RTE report regular sounds of machine gun fire, and civilians have been injured by gunshots and blast bombs.  Also, civilian buses have been stoned until everyone left, then set on fire.  There are loads of roadblocks around North, East and West Belfast and the smoke is bellowing out over Belfast.

I really hope this doesn't become another yearly thing, similar to Drumcree.  Thoughts?

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Belfast Riots
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 10:15:12 pm »
When do them stupid fucen marchs end,i thought july was the month for marchs.

Offline Hudson66

• The Kia Ora Man - too orangely for RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 10:19:00 pm »
Its all gone a bit nuts over here today fucking stupid if you ask me i hate this shit. If you see the news you'd see how fucked it is. Solves nothing just makes all this crap a lot worse. I posted in another thread about not even being able to leave the house due to loads of roads being blocked. Now ive seen more of it on the news it looks as if it will get worse overnight.

Offline gentleman

• Main Stander
  • Flippin' idiots
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 10:19:04 pm »
that's the "height" of the marching season, they go on for over half the year.

I just saw the violence on itv news, its ridiculous.

Offline gentleman

• Main Stander
  • Flippin' idiots
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 10:20:20 pm »
Its all gone a bit nuts over here today fucking stupid if you ask me i hate this shit. If you see the news you'd see how fucked it is. Solves nothing just makes all this crap a lot worse. I posted in another thread about not even being able to leave the house due to loads of roads being blocked. Now ive seen more of it on the news it looks as if it will get worse overnight.

Yeh there's big fears it'll spread throughout NI. It's already spread to Newtownards, Ballyclare and some other areas.  Not looking good

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 10:23:33 pm »
Imagine if they lost on Wednesday :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 02:29:05 pm by Wal5hy »

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 10:25:31 pm »
Its a shame when normal civalized people become animals,but then you will allways get the ellement  who will follow this shit just for the crack off it.Im sure half off it ain't even got anything to do with the point off the marchs no more.

Offline gentleman

• Main Stander
  • Flippin' idiots
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 11:22:20 pm »
Yeh there's been a hell of a lot of riots recently, and this one has been building up slowly during the week.  It is sad, but it will remain a feature of living in NI for some time still.  Believe it or not some of this violence and recent riots is attributed to the IRA statement, stating their intent to disarm.  Shortly, after that statement, the British Government, started to take down a lot of army bases around NI and this prompted anger from the unionist community, who believed they were doing this too quickly.

This spreads to the paramilitaries, and to street rioters.  Of course, there is also a bitter Loyalist feud going on at the moment too, where there have been many shootings and killings,  Apparently there's not much sign of this riot slowing down, and the belief is that it will spread.

Lets hope not

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 11:34:42 pm »
Idiots, the fuckin lot of em.

Offline gentleman

• Main Stander
  • Flippin' idiots
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 12:07:08 am »
I think the only funny thing about this is that some of the riots were less than a mile from the city hall where the BBC Proms was being televised! Imagine if the riots had spilled over in the middle of Wagner or something ;D

Offline Big Tall Man

• Legacy Fan
  • In this moment i like it in this forum, for sure
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 12:51:52 am »
I think the only funny thing about this is that some of the riots were less than a mile from the city hall where the BBC Proms was being televised! Imagine if the riots had spilled over in the middle of Wagner or something ;D

yeah hysterical aint it.... some of us have to live with this shit in both communities and we find it very hard to see the funny side.  I am not having a personal go here mate, but when people in both communities who have no affiliation to any marchers have to live with intimidation, threats of violence and paramilitrism, i see little room for humour.  I long for the day when all this stuff is a thjing of the past and both communities can live in peace without fear of thugs.
Rafa on THAT half time talk.  Language barriers aside, the greatest modesty and understatement in football history!!!

' We had been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe we score things would be different and we scored and it was different'

Offline CiaranJFT96

• Main Stander
  • Road Ender!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 12:52:55 am »
been a bit of bother in derry during the week houses wer attacked so they stand at the end of there estates n pelt cars with bricks n bottles
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 01:01:15 am »
Bloody Hell, I'm covering emergencies tonight...

Hope no-one breaks anything..

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 01:14:07 am »
BTM is so fucking RIGHT its embarrassing anyone else could think f repling after his/her post.

Offline crownpaints

• Billy Lidl
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Merseyrail stinks of shit
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 08:30:57 am »
That shit never happens in Southport in July.
Mighty Reds

Offline Jessie

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 09:32:27 am »
My dad was catholic - My mum protestant

I remember the Lodge marching in the 70's from town, through Scotland Road & County Road

I remember the protestant kids dressed up excited about marching

I remember the catholic kids excited about going to throw stuff at the Lodge, whilst the older teenangers use to travel to Southport looking for a fight.

Thank goodness - I was in neither catagory.

As a child I could never understand the hatred - admittedly it was bad - but never 'that bad'

Fortunately as the older generations died off, and less and less people followed religion the catholic - protestant divide dwindled away.

I know it does still exist in some (even though he knows my dad was catholic, my father -in-law insists on calling all catholics IRA bomb throwing bastards)

but as with everywhere - it is only the minority keeping the hatred alive.

Offline lfci

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 01:10:55 pm »
I'm sure you're right May it deffo an age thing (in Liverpool anyway).

I'm a protestant currently married to a catholic with two boys who were both baptised catholic. to be honest i wasn't bothered if they were baptised or not as i'm not religious, but my dear ma in law (RIP) went to church regularly and wanted her grandkids baptised so they were.

My point being, that my husbands cousin married a girl from Walton in St Francis de sales church, her mum lived round the corner but wouldn't go to the church as all her family were lodge and she couldn't bring herself to step into a catholic church!!  She missed her daughters most important day because of her family's religious beliefs.  Thank goodness most people my age don't particularly care either way, if it was one of my kids marrying someone from a different religion I'd be there to support them.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 02:27:49 pm »

I know it does still exist in some (even though he knows my dad was catholic, my father -in-law insists on calling all catholics IRA bomb throwing bastards)

;D Yeah its my favourite passtime... 

And does anyone else find the phrase '...Sporadic outbreaks of stone throwing...' Hilarious? Ooo so many stones, so many buses, so little time :P

Offline gentleman

• Main Stander
  • Flippin' idiots
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 06:48:18 pm »
yeah hysterical aint it.... some of us have to live with this shit in both communities and we find it very hard to see the funny side.  I am not having a personal go here mate, but when people in both communities who have no affiliation to any marchers have to live with intimidation, threats of violence and paramilitrism, i see little room for humour.  I long for the day when all this stuff is a thjing of the past and both communities can live in peace without fear of thugs.

I live in NI too mate, sorry if i offended you, but it was a light-hearted joke.

Offline gentleman

• Main Stander
  • Flippin' idiots
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 06:48:54 pm »
Apparently all the road blocks have started already, so it could be bad again tonight.  Hope not

Offline gentleman

• Main Stander
  • Flippin' idiots
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 11:00:42 pm »
A new BBC report.

A mob of around 700 people are on the streets of Belfast on Sunday in a new wave of loyalist rioting, police said.
Petrol bombs and missiles were thrown at security lines on Albertbridge Road in the east of the city.

One police officer has been reported injured. A blast bomb also exploded outside New Barnsley Police Station in west Belfast, causing minor damage.

Gangs have also set fire to a hijacked car and a van in south Belfast, while more vehicles were seized in the north.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, bad but not as bad as last night.  So many roads blocked off, its a nightmare getting out of Belfast, burning cars everywhere.  And its still spreading, even if it doesn't have the same intensity as last night (probably cos theyre all tired, the tossers).

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 11:43:31 pm »
I long for the day when all this stuff is a thjing of the past and both communities can live in peace without fear of thugs.

you seriously think that will happen?
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline GlentoranMark

• Gin thief.... watch it or it’s gone and the real 'Nasty Pastie' to boot.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005, 11:48:09 pm »
Nealry as bad tonight according to my sources. Close to me they've hijacked a digger and taken out every lamp post on the road then used it to steal an ATM (make a bitta money while rioting), means I have an excuse to be late into work tomorrow!!!

Its a well known fact violence pays in N.Ireland, if its not one side its the other, things will never change!
S*******s Is A 'Nasty Pastie'

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2005, 11:52:20 pm »
Nealry as bad tonight according to my sources. Close to me they've hijacked a digger and taken out every lamp post on the road then used it to steal an ATM (make a bitta money while rioting), means I have an excuse to be late into work tomorrow!!!

Its a well known fact violence pays in N.Ireland, if its not one side its the other, things will never change!

Sad.  Can't you get those guys in, and teach them lounge cricket or something useful?

Mindyou, would not fancy a dodgy appeal for HBW... might get kneecapped, and make me busy at night...

Offline GlentoranMark

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005, 11:59:15 pm »
Sad.  Can't you get those guys in, and teach them lounge cricket or something useful?

Mindyou, would not fancy a dodgy appeal for HBW... might get kneecapped, and make me busy at night...

Well I did suggest to  a few friends that rather than they go out rioting they bring their baseball bats inside and we play a few overs, I dont think they were to up for it as they threatened to wrap it round my head ;)

Anyway word today is that as the guns and blastbombs are back out on the streets the IMC are callin off the UVF's ceasefire, so this in effect is a flexin of muscle by the UVF to make certain factions aware that they havent gone away!

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 12:06:16 am »
My Mum and her side of the family are from over that way, I hope none of them were hurt, or, knowing some of their ridiculous views, involved.

I simply cannot be arsed with all the religious sectarian bullshit.

Offline gentleman

• Main Stander
  • Flippin' idiots
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2005, 12:15:04 am »
The train lines are also littered with burning cars.  The train company paid for a taxi home for me though! which was pretty nice.

In North Down, they've hijacked a full bus, armed with loaded guns and masked, robbed all the passengers and driver. Then drove it up the road, set fire to it and blocked another road.  Its happening all over now, but still mainly Belfast and the east side of Northern Ireland.  Must be just the ones without jobs out tonight! All the rest will be tucked up after last nights exertions for work tomorrow!

Offline gentleman

• Main Stander
  • Flippin' idiots
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2005, 12:23:17 am »
Imagine if we lost!

Offline GlentoranMark

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2005, 12:24:21 am »
please dont bring one of our greatest results and one of the best nights of my life into this!

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2005, 12:28:30 am »
I wonder what effect [if any], the new laws outlawing demonstrations of religious hatred would have on the Orange Lodge marchings?

Sad really all this still goes on, but maybe someone will put a stop to these sorts of processions at some point :-\

Offline GlentoranMark

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2005, 12:34:37 am »
I wonder what effect [if any], the new laws outlawing demonstrations of religious hatred would have on the Orange Lodge marchings?

Sad really all this still goes on, but maybe someone will put a stop to these sorts of processions at some point :-\

uuummm sorry wasnt going to get invovled heavily in this debate, and maybe ive taken you up wrong - but what exactly do you mean with the following quote:-

the new laws outlawing demonstrations of religious hatred would have on the Orange Lodge marchings?

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2005, 12:38:40 am »
uuummm sorry wasnt going to get invovled heavily in this debate, and maybe ive taken you up wrong - but what exactly do you mean with the following quote:-

the new laws outlawing demonstrations of religious hatred would have on the Orange Lodge marchings?

I know that the marchings are ostensibly to do with the commemoration of the battle of the Boyne [I think that was what it was called, but correct me if I am wrong] won by William of Orange, but the whole symbolism of the movement appears to orientate itself with anti-Catholicism sentiments. Wondering whether there was any way this could be netted by the new laws recently passed?

Offline IrishRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2005, 12:42:15 am »
Rizla - Northern Ireland is a minefield that is best avoided to be honest. 
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline GlentoranMark

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2005, 12:45:10 am »
I know that the marchings are ostensibly to do with the commemoration of the battle of the Boyne [I think that was what it was called, but correct me if I am wrong] won by William of Orange, but the whole symbolism of the movement appears to orientate itself with anti-Catholicism. Wondering whether there was any way this could be netted by the new laws recently passed?

The Orange Order is not a sectarian organisation, and it does in no way demonstrate religious hatred in any form.  Yes the OO celebrates the Battle of the Boyne, just like many other events take place to commemorate other battles. Unfortunatley N.Ireland is a pretty fucked up place where there is no tolerance from either side.  This was a high profile Orange parade through a majority nationalist road (but a road which does have a Protestant population).  Events have taken place over the summer where republicans have resorted to violence to prevent parades passing.  I myself have my own views on what way parades should be allowed to pass, but the OO took a stand on this one and called for the Protestant people to support them - they DID NOT call on them to wreck the place. This has been orchastrated by the paramilitaries in the area, basically cocks who have nothing better to do than fight with police and cocks from the other side!

To claim the Orange Order demonstrates religious hatred is libel!!

Offline AndyP

• Gave his away for an ale.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2005, 12:50:55 am »

"Religious hatred" is strong wording alright, but would you not agree that the Orange marches are very triumphalist and shoved down the throats of nationalists. 
Its a demonstration about a battle that happened in 1690 between King James And King William of Orange (as a way of a Little history lesson for anyone who cant figure out what these grown men are on about).
Its just seems a little silly that people are fighting about something that happened over 300 years ago

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2005, 12:53:43 am »
The Orange Order is not a sectarian organisation, and it does in no way demonstrate religious hatred in any form.  Yes the OO celebrates the Battle of the Boyne, just like many other events take place to commemorate other battles. Unfortunatley N.Ireland is a pretty fucked up place where there is no tolerance from either side.  This was a high profile Orange parade through a majority nationalist road (but a road which does have a Protestant population).  Events have taken place over the summer where republicans have resorted to violence to prevent parades passing.  I myself have my own views on what way parades should be allowed to pass, but the OO took a stand on this one and called for the Protestant people to support them - they DID NOT call on them to wreck the place. This has been orchastrated by the paramilitaries in the area, basically cocks who have nothing better to do than fight with police and cocks from the other side!

To claim the Orange Order demonstrates religious hatred is libel!!

Yeah, can see how these things can be hijacked by extreme elements. However there should be room for a bit of common sense in the way these affairs are handled. I dont come down on any side here but I would say it would be slightly naive to suggest the bigwigs within the order were not aware of the possibility for disturbances or that the actions in these sorts of commemorations may be misinterpreted or abused by a minority

But sadly like you I see no quick solution

Offline GlentoranMark

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2005, 12:56:17 am »
"Religious hatred" is strong wording alright, but would you not agree that the Orange marches are very triumphalist and shoved down the throats of nationalists. 
Its a demonstration about a battle that happened in 1690 between King James And King William of Orange (as a way of a Little history lesson for anyone who cant figure out what these grown men are on about).
Its just seems a little silly that people are fighting about something that happened over 300 years ago

Yes I do, though playin slightly devils advocat!

Im not one for annoying anyone, not my style so ideally they wouldnt happen and we could all live happily ever after!  Though comin from that side of the community I do know how others feel about it (not sayin they are my viewpoints) and can sort of see where they are comin from!!

What I did take exception to was the religious hatred quote, as Ive said before couldnt give a shite about a lot of things but dont think its right when facts are mislead!

Offline AndyP

• Gave his away for an ale.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2005, 01:02:56 am »
Yes I do, though playin slightly devils advocat!

Im not one for annoying anyone, not my style so ideally they wouldnt happen and we could all live happily ever after!  Though comin from that side of the community I do know how others feel about it (not sayin they are my viewpoints) and can sort of see where they are comin from!!

What I did take exception to was the religious hatred quote, as Ive said before couldnt give a shite about a lot of things but dont think its right when facts are mislead!
Maybe not as an organisation, but it would be fair to say a leading Orangeman, a certain I*n P*****y must be one of the most bigoted humans ever lived, possibly worse than Thatcher.

Does anyone else feel this thread could get a little hairy due to the nature of its content and the emotions involved?

Offline IrishRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2005, 01:05:29 am »
However there should be room for a bit of common sense in the way these affairs are handled.

no such thing as common sense in these situ's i'm afraid

remember an awful lot has happened in the last 300 years with regard Northern Ireland, on both sides

certain things aren't easy to accept, nor forget and that must be remembered when making comment with regard the situation

Northern Ireland is a very complex situation and can only be truly appreciated when on the inside rather than on the outside looking in

Justice

Offline GlentoranMark

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2005, 01:05:57 am »
Maybe not as an organisation, but it would be fair to say a leading Orangeman, a certain I*n P*****y must be one of the most bigoted humans ever lived, possibly worse than Thatcher.

Does anyone else feel this thread could get a little hairy due to the nature of its content and the emotions involved?

Jsut to correct you on another thing, Ian Paisley isnt in the Orange Order, not unlike Ian he left the mainstream to set up his own Orange organisation!!

Shows how fucked up this place is!!

Dont think its gettin to hairy to be honest mate, anyway thats me off so they'll be no more arguing :)