Author Topic: Digital Camera: Which one?  (Read 57366 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Digital Camera: Which one?
« Reply #280 on: December 13, 2006, 02:44:02 am »
I had an EM years ago and it was great, took lovely shots. The d70 is about the same price as the eos 400 but for similar resolution the d80 is a lot more money. Decisions, decisions..

Read the reviews, see who comes out on top, go to a camera shop and have look at both of them, see which one suits you.

I'd still say go for the Nikon :wave

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: December 13, 2006, 04:44:54 pm »
Get the pink one

pink ones rule.

I have to agree ;D

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #282 on: December 14, 2006, 09:23:54 pm »
Read the reviews, see who comes out on top, go to a camera shop and have look at both of them, see which one suits you.

I'd still say go for the Nikon :wave

i'd agree with this poster. Yuo need to go to jessops and hold all the cameras your considering. don't know about the 400D, but  held its predessor the 350D, and didn't like it! its was just so uncomfortable to hold, too small, and your ring finger on your right hand had no where to go...not sure if they've improved things for its replacment..

one thing i noticed when comparing the nikon D50, with the canon 350D, was the build quality for the nikon was much better, the canon looked like it would smash into a thousand pieces if dropped... both plastic, of course, but nikons , even their budget models are better built.

if you really want to spend the extra on a 10m pix camera, its your choice. but 6m is more than enough, and can easily cope with printing at A4 size...

most reviews will probably marginally give the image quality to the canons. But, some would say that the image from canon's CMOS sensor is too good, and gives an unnatural 'plastic look'!!  its personal choice though....

iin my view you don't have to spend more than £400 for a DSLR camera with starter lens (nikon D50 and just released D40) to get good pictures....although the canon 400D is a good buy!!

also the 10m pix sony A100 is good value...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 10:20:07 pm by Paul_h »

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: December 14, 2006, 11:25:55 pm »
also the 10m pix sony A100 is good value...

Sony's tend to have too highly saturated reds (good as footie supporters, but not in a pic.....this could lead to some interesting comments ;D).

You can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon.....the best in the game.

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: December 15, 2006, 10:21:12 pm »
Sony's tend to have too highly saturated reds (good as footie supporters, but not in a pic.....this could lead to some interesting comments ;D).

You can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon.....the best in the game.

sony make nikon sensors, of course, and canon has also been accused of having 'disney colours'   ;D

the thing that makes the sony A100 interesting though is the in-body image stabilization(IS). if you see the high prices of IS on canon and nikon lenses, and then see that every lens coupled to the sony will be IS, it appears to be a bargin...

i'd still plump for nikon though   ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 11:05:53 pm by Paul_h »

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: December 15, 2006, 11:45:49 pm »
Anyone see the gadget show couple weeks back?

Sony 7.2MP
Cannon .... cant remeber actual MP but was very high
Fuji 6.3MP

Fuji whiped the arse of the others in all the tests. Best of all, it was the cheapest too!

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #286 on: December 19, 2006, 06:15:44 pm »
Tried a bunch of them, and would go for the D70s or a D100 but they haven't really come down in price as much as perhaps they should (though I will wait till after Chrimbo) so its going to be a D80, since its only £100 dearer. Ultimately, the range of lenses available swing it for me, something I rate highly since in my view the sensors are all very close in performance. I have to agree that the Nikon feels more comfortable than the Canon EOS.

Thanks everyone for helpful and considered posts.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: December 27, 2006, 06:22:40 pm »
Found this on Pixmania, looks good!

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/351707/art/sanyo/xacti-e6.html

6mp with Konica Minolta lens
3" screen with 230,000 pixels
Small and compact

Anybody know if its any good?

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #288 on: December 28, 2006, 10:34:36 am »
I ordered my Fuji Finepix S5600 from pixmania because they are the cheapest - only problem is they send you a french instruction manual. They tell you this on their website and are totaly legit. Furthermore they give you an electronic copy of the english manual which I printed off at work ;-) but you don't really need it if you have an IQ of 15 or more.

Great camera - they are phasing out the bridge cameras because they are so popular - they reckon that the people that buy bridge are likely to buy a SLR if no bridge cameras exist - all to make more money!

Also for memory cards etc buy from 7dayshop.com they are the cheapest as you don't pay VAT because they are off the mainland :-)

How are you finding that camera? I'm looking at either one of the Fuji or splashing out a bit more on a Panasonic Lumix witht the Leica 12x zoom lens.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Demandred

• Do not forsake me oh my darlin
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'll be waiting, with a gun & a pack of sandwiches
« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2006, 01:31:32 pm »
Anyone know much about Samsung cameras?

I saw this one, the D103, in Dixons (sorry Currys.digital) yesterday, £300 down to £130.
10MP, 3x Optical then fairly bog standard I think. Seemed a good price but wasn't sure

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/product/SAMSUNG/D103/733683

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2006, 01:37:51 pm »
Anyone know much about Samsung cameras?

I saw this one, the D103, in Dixons (sorry Currys.digital) yesterday, £300 down to £130.
10MP, 3x Optical then fairly bog standard I think. Seemed a good price but wasn't sure

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/product/SAMSUNG/D103/733683

Looks alright for the money, type the brand and model number into google and read some reviews.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: December 30, 2006, 01:47:54 pm »
The Panasonic Lumix cameras are very highly-rated, and I'm very happy with mine.

They've got optical image stabilisation (not digital) and Leica lenses. Very woo.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #292 on: December 30, 2006, 03:51:15 pm »
I've been through more digital cameras than I care to remember. Started off with an Olympus C100 (I think) which was "free" (bundled with a computer) about 6 years ago. 1.3 megapixels and a fixed lens but my god, what an eye-opener to just snap-and-go, straight into your desktop. For a long-standing photographer like myself, I could but drool over the top-end kit that was so hideously priced in the early days. The other thing I had always been used to was a decent zoom lens and most compact cameras max out at 3x. Don't be seduced by claims of "digital" zooming capabilities - this merely degrades the image in exactly the same way as if you were cropping at the editing stage.

I am now the proud owner of a Canon EOS 300D with a kit of lenses, filters, flashgun etc. that will keep me happy for a few years yet. But I ain't gonna lug that around with me everywhere I go. So after a fair bit of expensive trial and error I have setrtled on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1. It is "almost" compact, which is no mean feat given that it crams a 10x optical zoom lens into its small frame. A bright, clear 2.5inch LCD and Panasonic's awasome MEGA O.I.S. make this a great pocketable back-up for those occasions when lugging the full monty in kit bag on shoulder just doesn't appeal - like in the pub before the Watford game with the boys and their new-found friends, for example! - (they're dancing, not fighting, honest!)

"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #293 on: December 31, 2006, 08:14:12 pm »
Loving my D80. But gotta get a tripod now for those winter night shots.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #294 on: January 1, 2007, 11:46:54 pm »
I've done some research and although I prefer the wider angle on the Fuji's the optical stabilisation on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 wins out. Best I can find is 190ish.

Think I'll order it tomorrow :)
« Last Edit: January 2, 2007, 11:04:53 am by Armin »
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #295 on: January 2, 2007, 12:35:07 am »
I've got the older FZ5, Armin, its a very nice camera, as you say the optiucal stabilisation works a treat

Offline Neoto

• Anny Roader
  • $_$
« Reply #296 on: January 2, 2007, 06:15:31 am »
I am thinking about buying a Canon Eos 400d. Anyone got one? I might also look at the Nikon D80.

I own a 350D, but I work as a parttime salesman on cameras on the weekends. If you're looking to upgrade from something similar to a 350D i'd say save your money and save up for something like the 30D or spend the money on a nice new lense.

If you haven't got one, then yea I'd say the 400D is a nice camera. Having the 2.5" screen on the back really helps and means you squint at the screen a lot less. Having the sensor cleaning on power off is a nice touch as well. If you get one make sure you get a nice big memory card with it as well. I'd personally recommend buying the body and then buying a better lense. I've never really rated the 18-55mm lense that comes with the EOS kits. Nice starter lense I guess but I think canon could have done a lot better.

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #297 on: January 11, 2007, 11:48:18 am »
I'm looking for a decent portrait lens for my Canon 350D but can't really afford a brand new lens (unless there's a great Tamron/Sigma lens out there), cos I'm looking for around f1.4 / 2.0. Would prefer a Canon lens if possible. Does anyone know where you can buy "decent" 2nd hand lenses without getting pushed to businesses on ebay etc. or totally ripped off. Does anyone have a suitable lens for sale?

Also, if I'm looking for around 50mm fixed, would I need to buy a lens around the 30-38mm?

Thanks for any help...

EDIT: or anywhere that rents lenses out, if there is such a place?! Cheers
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 03:18:26 pm by El Phes »

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #298 on: January 11, 2007, 12:05:43 pm »
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Sigma or Tamron lenses, some of them are excellent.

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: January 11, 2007, 12:14:16 pm »
Yes, you are right. Maybe I'm just being a snob, or thinking if I'm paying the money, I may as well get a Canon (2nd hand remember).

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: December 1, 2007, 03:59:23 pm »
I reaaally need a camera now! I've looked at some and so far i'm liking the:

*Olympus Fe-300 (12 megapixel camera, with a 3x optical zoom, 2.5 inch LCD, and a sturdy, slim metal body.) £170
*Samsung NV10 (10.3 megapixel CCD 35-105mm equiv. (3x) Schneider-KREUZNACH zoom Program, Auto, Manual and Scene exposure modes, ISO 100-1000, Advanced Shake Reduction DSP, In-camera special effects and editing of saved images, Auto Exposure Bracketing, 4cm Macro mode, MPEG-4 (DiVX) VGA movie mode, Only 18.5mm thick, Optional docking cradle and remote contro), £120
*Fujifilm filmpix A920 (9 megapixels, Fujinon 4x optical zoom and ISO 800 light sensitivity as well as QVGA movie recording capability.),  £90
*and the Kodak EasyShare Z1275 (12mp, 5x optical zoom, Auto and manual focus,JPEG file format, ISO 100-1600, 2.5-inch LCD display, HD Video Settings (1280 x 720 / 30fps, MPEG-4), Movie mode with sound, HD Video Settings (1280 x 720 / 30fps, MPEG-4), Continuous video recording (Up to 80 minutes / 2GB),Secure Digital memory storage (64 MB internal). £130

I'm not really a camera expert and don't really know what i'm looking for but need the camera to take some decent pics for my art classes and all! :-\ Budget I say would be something like £150-ish!

What would you guys recommend from the 4 i've seen or are they all crappy and I'm better off getting something else?

Also what should I be looking for in a camera? Do more megapixels mean better photos?  :-\
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall - so the referee booked him

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: December 1, 2007, 04:27:46 pm »
Just looking at what you've posted there, between the Samsung and the Kodak for me, although the Kodak having manual focus and 5x optical zoom would win for me.

4cm macro on the samsung could come in handy mind, depends on how you'd use it, I guess...

More megapixels *can* mean better photos, but it depends what resolution (dimensions and dpi) of jpeg it spits out. You'll find a lot of compacts will give you a very large jpeg, but you'll need to reduce it's dimensions to get a nice, crisp image, particularly if you want to print them.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: December 1, 2007, 07:51:45 pm »
If you're not too bothered about size I'd go for the Panasonic FZ8

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126122

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: December 8, 2007, 11:36:15 pm »
Thank you Claire and filopastry :)

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #304 on: December 22, 2007, 07:34:08 pm »
Am also in the need of a new camera (my old one is so old, phones are better)

Looking to spend 200-300

Must be compact, have a good zoom and obvioulsy as many MPs as poss.

Edit: that kodak above sounds good. Is there a newer model about. Perhaps for an extra 50 quid i could get a few more bells n whistles
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 07:37:16 pm by buzzing »
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: December 22, 2007, 08:40:55 pm »
Am also in the need of a new camera (my old one is so old, phones are better)

Looking to spend 200-300

Must be compact, have a good zoom and obvioulsy as many MPs as poss.

Edit: that kodak above sounds good. Is there a newer model about. Perhaps for an extra 50 quid i could get a few more bells n whistles
For compact and a good zoom you'll struggle to beat the Panasonic Lumix TZ3, you can get it for about £165 last time I checked, imho worrying about megapixels is pointless on most modern cameras, they all have enough to produce great printed images on any realistic size you're  likely to use

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: December 22, 2007, 08:51:14 pm »
, imho worrying about megapixels is pointless on most modern cameras, they all have enough to produce great printed images on any realistic size you're  likely to use

defo, unless your printing a3+ or a2 alot off the time it makes me laff people want loads of MP , I'd worry how well the camara handles high ISO first

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #307 on: December 22, 2007, 09:02:19 pm »
Cool.

Was actually thinking that. i.e. am i really gonna get that much more out of 8/10/12MP cams

Just checked the TZ3...WOW....10x Optical Zoom. Only down point = 4.2 x 2.37 x 1.47, WHD

Ideally would like something less bulkier. This cam is gonna be in my pocket during my trip to NY. So dont want a bulk in my pocket

DOnt mind spending a bit extra if i can get something like the TZ3 if it's more slim
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 09:03:54 pm by buzzing »
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: February 5, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

Offline El Phes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: February 6, 2008, 12:46:36 pm »
Pretty much, yeah! Both will be compatible, but I would be wary of cheaper cards. There's a reason why they're cheaper  ;)

Why not look at the SanDisk card on the Amazon link - Only £3.10 (or do you pay for delivery?)

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: February 6, 2008, 08:07:29 pm »
I think you do pay for delivery on amazon. It's for my friend anyway, i've already ordered it now. If it doesn't work she can buy a new one :D Thank you muchly though. :)

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #311 on: March 7, 2008, 04:25:16 pm »
Currently got an EOS400D.

Chances are it will be upgraded to one of the better models.

will all the lenses suitable for the 400 work on the higher end models?
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: March 7, 2008, 06:28:30 pm »
I reaaally need a camera now! I've looked at some and so far i'm liking the:

I ended up buying a Canon Ixus 950 IS. I love it so far. It takes fabby pictures and all but i'm still getting used to it. :D

Offline brunny

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: May 13, 2008, 10:16:17 am »
Hi guys,

I am in a similar situation to the original poster ~150 pounds to spend. Wondering if anyone can suggest some good camera (not bulky)

cheers

gabrown
http://game2.mafiadeath.com/r/35526.php
MafiaDeath Username: gabrown

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: May 13, 2008, 10:32:55 am »
Hi guys,

I am in a similar situation to the original poster ~150 pounds to spend. Wondering if anyone can suggest some good camera (not bulky)

cheers

gabrown

what are you looking to use it for, mainly indoors or outdoors, is the size of optical zoom important to you?

Offline brunny

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: May 13, 2008, 10:57:03 am »
what are you looking to use it for, mainly indoors or outdoors, is the size of optical zoom important to you?

It will be for use of holidays and things like that. Not so much nights out (phone will do for that)

not really sure about the optical zoom

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: May 13, 2008, 11:10:58 am »
Most compacts will do a good job outdoors in decent light anyway, for optical zoom you'll start to have to make compromises in terms of size beyond 3x zoom.

How small do you want the camera to be?

Offline brunny

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: May 13, 2008, 11:25:11 am »
Most compacts will do a good job outdoors in decent light anyway, for optical zoom you'll start to have to make compromises in terms of size beyond 3x zoom.

How small do you want the camera to be?

I was hoping for one that i could fit in my pocket.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #318 on: May 13, 2008, 11:35:23 am »
My Panasonic Lumix FZ7 will fit in a coat pocket, it's not really compact but its an excellent camera.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: May 13, 2008, 11:43:07 am »
I was hoping for one that i could fit in my pocket.

Coat pocket or jeans pocket ;)

If you want a genuine ultra compact at a good price the Pansonic Lumix FS3 has had some good reviews in that price space, it looks like you can pick it up for about £125, leaving you a bit to spend on a decent case and memory card, if you want to spend more for an ultra compact the Canon Ixus range is always worth looking at.

For a slightly larger camera if you do want the benefit of great zoom (10x) performance the Panasonic TZ range is excellent for outdoors work, you could probably pick up the old TZ3 for £170 or so.