Author Topic: What Car Do You Own/Drive?  (Read 483575 times)

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
Re: What Car Do You Own/Drive?
« Reply #6200 on: August 9, 2023, 04:12:00 pm »
The Civic is immaculate in and out. Pretty good MOT history but only part service history. Though it is mostly for my wife I would need to use it and I find getting in and out of the Civic awkward at my height. The Mazda has more space, power and spec. Has full service history with one owner and good MOT past. But yeah, will look into extended warranty for them thanks.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2023, 04:15:03 pm by Trump's tiny tiny hands »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #6201 on: August 9, 2023, 10:55:17 pm »
When I bought mine in 2017, I got an RAC 12 month warranty with it, so see if you can get something like that.

Wouldn't trust warranties full stop.

Back in 2010 after losing my job and getting a new one (I figured would be temporary) that was less money and didn't come with a company car, I needed to buy a cheap one to do the commute into Manc. Got a 6 year old diesel Mondeo. It was cheap - but was a fucking lemon (was cheap cos it had 100k on the clock). Bought from a garage in Oldham. They'd included an RAC warranty which had put my mind at rest.

After a fortnight, it started fucking up. Had it diagnosed as a shredded turbo hose or something. It'd been patched up (literally duct tape) to get through the sale but failed soon after. The hose itself wasn't that expensive but you had to take half the engine apart to replace it.

Contacted the RAC to trigger the warranty. They told me it wasn't covered, was 'wear and tear' and no engine hoses were covered. I contacted the garage, they basically said 'tough shit', even to a suggestion we split the bill. I had to foot the cost at an already tough financial time.

Only bought two used cars since, and one of them wasn't great (the one that was good was for my missus and a nearly-new from a dealership). The useds I'd bought when I was younger also invariably turned out to be shite.

The three lessons I've learned from buying used cars are:

1) warranties have enough get-outs that they're mostly useless
2) true bargains, especially from garages are like rocking horse shit
3) car dealers see me coming

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6202 on: August 10, 2023, 06:16:08 am »
Yeah the RAC warranties do have exclusions, and any perishable items will always be excluded.

I’ve only ever had to claim on one of these once. I bought a 2009 petrol Astra around 2012 from the Vauxhall dealership in Ormskirk. After a few months I was getting a knocking noise from the engine. Took it back into the dealership and they diagnosed an issue with the VVT system. They replaced the VVT sensor, solenoids and pulleys all under that RAC warranty, and the RAC agreed to a replacement of the timing chain as it required removal to replace the other parts. The bill was £800 but was all covered, so they aren’t totally useless.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6203 on: August 18, 2023, 11:29:45 pm »
My Golf Estate has been sold from under me, just as I was getting used to it. Still, it did me proud and was a godsend when I had to clear out my rental property a while back, no way the Mini was doing all that donkeywork in just 12 trips. I had to borrow the salesman's ID3 whilst he was showing off the Golf, I don't think I'll ever get used to the silent start up and pulling away of an electric car.

I still have a weekend left with the Golf just in case I want to do one last Ikea run, no idea what I'll be getting early next week - I keep telling the company I want a small car and instead I keep getting given massive things instead.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6204 on: August 19, 2023, 01:08:39 pm »
We've got a 500 Lounge (glass roof etc), but it's no more than a 2+2. Part-ex'ed a banger and got it for £129/mth for 4 years, and it does about 50mpg. Complete bargain to be fair. It's the wife's car though, as I don't need one at the moment.

Not posted in 12 years. Doing a bit of reminiscing.

Fiat 500 gone, wife gone...replaced with a Mustang GT. Lovely car, handful on UK roads though. Better than the ex!

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6205 on: August 19, 2023, 01:32:59 pm »

Fiat 500 gone, wife gone...replaced with a Mustang GT. Lovely car, handful on UK roads though. Better than the ex!

Bloody hell there’s a blast from the past. Long time no speak mate hope you’re keeping well.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6206 on: August 19, 2023, 02:17:25 pm »
Cheers Graeme. All is well mate.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6207 on: August 19, 2023, 02:27:03 pm »

That Mustang sounds ace.

I've driven two Mustangs, a 5.0 in the UK and the 2.3 Ecoboost in Orlando. The 2.3 was fine for bimbling about with the top down, pretty quick
Jurgen YNWA

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6208 on: August 19, 2023, 02:40:11 pm »
I got the 5.0. Been a fan of the NA V8 sound for longer than I can remember.

I keep mulling over getting something else fruity with 4/AWD, as it's too much 3/4 the year. But then I do a cold start, or crack the window an inch and just listen. The AMG Merc V8s do sound filth though...maybe one day.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6209 on: August 19, 2023, 03:01:58 pm »
Love the sound of the V8s too, those AMGs sound great.

I've done a Ford day on a closed off area where you get to drive like a twat, was drifting and doing J turns in a Focus RS, that was a mad car, comfy as you'd expect from  family hatchback, but 350 hp, mental fun.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6210 on: August 30, 2023, 08:47:12 pm »
So in the end I was given a VW Taigo with delivery mileage on it. It feels okay to drive, but it ticks a lot of what I don't like about some cars.

- It's a small SUV/Crossover with a very bland, generic look
- It's a manual (I'm lazy)
- It's white

It's an R-Line which is supposed to be the highest-spec sporty one, but as far as I can tell that amounts to some fancy bumpers and stitching an R into the seats. Speaking of the bumpers, it has these weird fake exhaust mouldings:

So dumb. I'm a little embarrassed to be seen in it.

Mainly I'm just irked I have to change gear myself, like some sort of medieval serf. My replacement isn't likely due until early 2024 so I'll have to get used to it. At least it's not electric...

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6211 on: August 30, 2023, 09:23:03 pm »
It's an R-Line which is supposed to be the highest-spec sporty one

R is the top-spec, R-Line a standard model is some sporty cosmetic add-ons.

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6212 on: August 30, 2023, 10:07:06 pm »
R is the top-spec, R-Line a standard model is some sporty cosmetic add-ons.

I know, but there isn't an R for the Taigo, just this. So it's the highest spec of this particular model.

Like how BMW stick some little M badges on the side of some fairly mundane cars now.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6213 on: August 31, 2023, 09:17:11 am »
Does the Taigo not sit in the same space as a T-Roc? Seems strange to have 2 very similar SUV’s.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #6214 on: August 31, 2023, 09:25:13 am »
Does the Taigo not sit in the same space as a T-Roc? Seems strange to have 2 very similar SUV’s.

Taigo is the smaller coupe style SUV.

T-Roc is a bigger (than Taigo) SUV but smaller than Tiguan and Touareg.

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6215 on: August 31, 2023, 09:35:00 am »
Taigo, T-Cross, T-Roc, Tiguan, Touareg. What does that say to you about Volkswagen SUVs with names starting with T?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6216 on: August 31, 2023, 09:40:19 am »
Does yours  have Alcantara seats by any chance? Cos then you can say you drive a Taigo Alcantara :D

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6217 on: August 31, 2023, 09:41:40 am »

When my Cupra Ateca lease is up in 18 months or so the Tiguan R is on my shortlist to replace it with, but there is a new BMW X1 M35i coming next year that I really like the look of, but might get priced out of that one.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #6218 on: August 31, 2023, 10:10:41 am »
From Cupra to VW R-Line will be a let down IMHO.

If you can, go for the BMW-M.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6219 on: August 31, 2023, 10:52:30 am »
I took my EV on a roadtrip to France. Covered over 1.5k miles in all.

Was a bit anxious about the charging, as I've only ever used one not-home-charger since I got it. But apart from one issue after we'd got to our villa (France shuts on a Sunday), it was surprisingly straightforward.

A bit of pre-planning (and identifying ultra-fast chargers, which give you around 80% charge in 20 mins) and it was fine.

Public charging is pricey, though. Per-mile, almost as much as petrol. Home charging is less than half that.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6220 on: August 31, 2023, 10:57:49 am »
From Cupra to VW R-Line will be a let down IMHO.

If you can, go for the BMW-M.

Tiguan R, not R-Line. Both the Cupra and the Tiguan R have the EA888 Gen4 engine. The Cupra does 0-60 in about 4.6 seconds, suspect the VW slightly less as it’s bigger but the power on these engines is incredible. The BMW would be first choice but with the way the interest rates are currently I suspect I’ll be priced out.

My Cupra lease is £388 but the same terms today are nearer £500. All I can do I think is start putting some money away for the next 18 months so be able to afford a decent deposit.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6221 on: August 31, 2023, 11:38:30 am »
At some point the clean air zone will come in by ours so been looking at cars that are ULEZ compliant, as my 2.2D isn't. I'm looking at either an XF diesel which will be Euro 6 so compliant or a 5.0 Jag XJ,but as the eldest hopefully will be going in the RAF in 3 years and the youngest hopefully at uni in 5, I'm thinking of something that only needs to take me and the missus. So, my other choices are the 4.2 Supercharged XK-R or a 5.0 Mustang. You can shove yer EV's ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6222 on: August 31, 2023, 07:46:09 pm »
Reckon the F-Type is worth a look too if you like jags. Beautiful car. V8 though 😀

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6223 on: August 31, 2023, 08:26:30 pm »
Reckon the F-Type is worth a look too if you like jags. Beautiful car. V8 though 😀

Been hearing some horror stories about them rusting away underneath
Jurgen YNWA

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6224 on: August 31, 2023, 10:11:54 pm »
Oh, interesting. It is JLR though, so not surprising.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #6225 on: September 1, 2023, 04:59:09 pm »

I’ve had an auto T Roc two years now, bought new. Lovely car can’t think of any boxes it doesn’t tick for me. Can even fit my road bike in the back without taking the front wheel off.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6226 on: September 1, 2023, 06:55:07 pm »
Oh, interesting. It is JLR though, so not surprising.

I’ve had three new jags since 2002 , an x type , and two xe type and all three have been brilliant cars without anything major going wrong with them . Previous to that had a new freelander for three years that was always getting taken away under the warranty .

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6227 on: September 1, 2023, 07:06:54 pm »
I’ve had three new jags since 2002 , an x type , and two xe type and all three have been brilliant cars without anything major going wrong with them . Previous to that had a new freelander for three years that was always getting taken away under the warranty .

My 09 X has 97600 or so miles, I've had it since Jan 2017 and engine wise its needed a water pump and that is it, its the underneath that is the issue, it's got light rust all over, one of the rear arms had rotted right through and it needed a sill welding, sills are X Type killers, so many good cars get scrapped due to sills going, including my Step Dads, other than that its been ace. There are loads on the Jag forum I'm on though who have had a nightmare with theirs.

I don't fancy an XE, seems smaller in the back than my X and my kids are huge and I felt cramped as a front seat passenger, so I want something XF or XJ size, but been hearing stories of the XF having the same rust issues as the X type and heard it about the F type too.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6228 on: September 5, 2023, 03:56:05 pm »
Has anyone bought a lease car at the end of lease and sold it on? I've had a look at mine and WeBuyAnyCar offering 2k less than the lease company are asking for

Are there any other ways of doing it other than going direct to a garage? Its a Merc e220d - sure people in the past have said they buy them and sell them and make a few thousand to use towards next lease for example.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2023, 03:58:50 pm by pw1008 »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6229 on: September 5, 2023, 04:16:56 pm »
Has anyone bought a lease car at the end of lease and sold it on? I've had a look at mine and WeBuyAnyCar offering 2k less than the lease company are asking for

Are there any other ways of doing it other than going direct to a garage? Its a Merc e220d - sure people in the past have said they buy them and sell them and make a few thousand to use towards next lease for example.

I've done it - although not every lease has the option to buy at the end.

I've always sold privately, though, mostly through AutoTrader (even though I despise myself for using them as they're owned by some Tory c*nt, they're by far the biggest game in town for selling). Just be careful, as the arse has long fallen out of the private car sale market in terms of demand.

Not an end-of-lease car, but earlier this year we sold my wife's 9-year old car. We advertised it on Gumtree and AutoTrader at about 10-15% below what trade sellers were typically knocking very similar model/age/mileage/condition for. Not a squeak out of Gumtree in a fortnight and only tentative enquiries through AT. Then a dealer called me to say he had a buyer lined up and could they look at it the following day, offering a £200 deposit. I was a bit suspicious and declined to give my bank details for the deposit ( :D I said I'd not sell it until he looked at it). Saying that, I checked the company out and they seemed legit (and decently rated on Google/TrustPilot)

Him and two colleagues turned up the next day, were very professional. I went with one on a test drive and he did identify a fairly minor issue (I'd noticed it as well - needed a new brake disc/pad). They knocked me down 5% and transferred the money - once I confirmed receipt off they went.

They probably made £1k-£1.5k on it.

I'd got quotes from both WBAC and Motorway. What we sold it for was still over £2k more than WBAC and over £1k more than Motorway.

WBAC especially is a total rip-off. They essentially just Britsh Car Auctions, so they make a mint on what they sell (I've been to a couple of BCA auctions and couldn't believe high high people go on the auctions, especially when you have to factor in VAT/commission.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6230 on: September 5, 2023, 04:26:02 pm »
Thanks for the info - the car itself is in pretty good nick - I leased it just before covid and did 3000 miles in about 3 months and since then its only gone up to 14,000 miles on the clock.
Prob needs alloys repairing where they have clipped kerb a few times but  not sure its worth the gamble to pay £20.5k for it to possibly make £1-1.5 at best if WBAC were offering between £17.8 and £19k the last few times I chekced.

I'll check motorway out though - thanks

I've done it - although not every lease has the option to buy at the end.

I've always sold privately, though, mostly through AutoTrader (even though I despise myself for using them as they're owned by some Tory c*nt, they're by far the biggest game in town for selling). Just be careful, as the arse has long fallen out of the private car sale market in terms of demand.

Not an end-of-lease car, but earlier this year we sold my wife's 9-year old car. We advertised it on Gumtree and AutoTrader at about 10-15% below what trade sellers were typically knocking very similar model/age/mileage/condition for. Not a squeak out of Gumtree in a fortnight and only tentative enquiries through AT. Then a dealer called me to say he had a buyer lined up and could they look at it the following day, offering a £200 deposit. I was a bit suspicious and declined to give my bank details for the deposit ( :D I said I'd not sell it until he looked at it). Saying that, I checked the company out and they seemed legit (and decently rated on Google/TrustPilot)

Him and two colleagues turned up the next day, were very professional. I went with one on a test drive and he did identify a fairly minor issue (I'd noticed it as well - needed a new brake disc/pad). They knocked me down 5% and transferred the money - once I confirmed receipt off they went.

They probably made £1k-£1.5k on it.

I'd got quotes from both WBAC and Motorway. What we sold it for was still over £2k more than WBAC and over £1k more than Motorway.

WBAC especially is a total rip-off. They essentially just Britsh Car Auctions, so they make a mint on what they sell (I've been to a couple of BCA auctions and couldn't believe high high people go on the auctions, especially when you have to factor in VAT/commission.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #6231 on: September 5, 2023, 06:17:35 pm »
Still got my GR Yaris, coming up to 2 years of ownership.

Still the best car I've ever driven for b-road fun, and it's capability as a daily driver. It also still makes me giggle quite often!
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #6232 on: September 5, 2023, 09:42:16 pm »
Just got a new Skoda Octavia (2023 reg) with work, but it's a diesel and the BIK tax is a mofo (I'm in Ireland). Question is, I was chatting to another colleague later on and he has a load of just out the wrapping Citreon C5x's which may cost me less. 1st world problem I know, but the question is - Is the C5 anygood (again 2023 model). I've had Audi's, VW's, Ford's, shit loads, but never anything Citreon/French. Reviews look alright like.

(I'm not a car person - I normally drive a Toyota RAV4 2009 - never let me down, has had several pairs of new shoes, and a battery since 2017. Blinding car - best I've ever owned. Dragged the fucker all over Ireland, and has just been sound as).

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6233 on: September 6, 2023, 07:14:52 am »
It’s always been my general understanding that French cars are generally not as well built as anything from the VW/Audi Group (which includes Skoda). They’re also considerably uglier in my opinion :D

I’d certainly be sticking with the Skoda if it was me.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6234 on: December 13, 2023, 02:13:08 pm »
I've said I'd never trust self drive - 2 million Teslas recalled in the US due to an issue with the Autopilot driver monitoring system, probably explains the 956 crashes (or its just dumb fuck americans)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67693935

Tesla is recalling more than two million cars after the US regulator found its driver assistance system, Autopilot, was partly defective.

It follows a two-year investigation into crashes at the firm owned by billionaire Elon Musk, which occurred when Autopilot was in use.

The recall applies to almost every Tesla sold in the US since the Autopilot feature was launched in 2015.

Tesla said it would send a software update "over the air" to fix the issue.

The update happens automatically, and does not require a visit to a dealership or garage, but is still referred to by the regulator as a recall.

Autopilot is meant to help with steering, acceleration and braking - but, despite the name, the car still requires driver input.

The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said the recall was due to an issue with Autopilot's driver monitoring system, which detects whether the driver is paying attention.

This is meant to check things such as whether the driver has their hands on the wheel.

As part of what it has called an "extensive" two year investigation, the NHTSA reviewed 956 crashes where Autopilot was initially alleged to have been in use.

As a result of that investigation Tesla has announced this recall, and conceded that the system's controls "may not be sufficient to prevent driver misuse".

"Automated technology holds great promise for improving safety but only when it is deployed responsibly", the NHTSA wrote, adding it would continue to monitor the software once it was updated.

It comes a week after a former Tesla employee told the BBC he believed the technology was not safe.

Lukasz Krupski told the BBC: "I don't think the hardware is ready and the software is ready."

"It affects all of us because we are essentially experiments in public roads", he claimed.

It is the second recall this year affecting Tesla vehicles.

On Tuesday, the company defended the safety of Autopilot in a post on X (formerly Twitter) in response to a Washington Post article.

"Safety metrics are emphatically stronger when Autopilot is engaged than when not engaged" it wrote, pointing to statistics that suggested there were fewer crashes when the system was used.

"The data is clear: The more automation technology offered to support the driver, the safer the driver and other road users" Tesla said.

The BBC has approached the carmaker for comment.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #6235 on: January 15, 2024, 02:45:00 pm »
Ordered myself a BMW IX1

Will be my first BMW and first electric car!

Online red_lfc_costello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6236 on: January 15, 2024, 02:59:07 pm »
Ordered myself a BMW IX1

Will be my first BMW and first electric car!

Nice! Love my IX3
You appear to hve mistaken 'the funny photo thread' for the 'pointless, pre-pubescent nonsensical not even porn but "look, look, it's a girl" thread'

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #6237 on: January 15, 2024, 03:23:35 pm »
Took me ages to decide between it and the, quite different, i4 - but wanted the SUV style for a change as the i4 looks quite similar to my current car

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6238 on: January 15, 2024, 04:05:28 pm »
My model 3 went back last week when i finished with my last job.  I cant order through my new companys car scheme until i've been with them 3 months.....so many choices in the EV/PHEV market to look at!  Never been a fan of BMW's but i do like the look of the i4.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #6239 on: January 15, 2024, 07:56:28 pm »
Got a new Hyundai Kona Hybrid a couple of months ago. Lovely motor. Standard stuff incs electric tailgate, heated seats and steering wheel. Got plenty of oomph and can get my large frame road bike in the back without taking the front wheel off.

Ticks all boxes for us.