Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2808172 times)

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #4120 on: August 7, 2008, 08:15:33 am »
Favre traded to the Jets.....

As a Pats fan, I am pissing my pants.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #4121 on: August 7, 2008, 12:20:21 pm »
Didn't see a trade to the Jets tcoming.

Will he, like Robbie with the Reds, be a lesser player away from the Pack?
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #4122 on: August 7, 2008, 12:29:19 pm »

Favre's comeback from retirement has the feel to me of Michael Jordan's. Every couple of seasons he talked about retiring, then finally did, realized he made a mistake and ended up genuinely retiring with a whimper. It will be pretty difficult for someone like Favre to have gone from knowing everyone and every system in Green Bay to now having to quickly adjust to the Jets system and personnel three weeks before the season starts.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4123 on: August 7, 2008, 12:39:51 pm »
Didn't see a trade to the Jets tcoming.

Will he, like Robbie with the Reds, be a lesser player away from the Pack?

I'm a Jets fan: this is huge for us - we've had an incredible off-season. Addressed virtually all of our major holes - hope Favre can come in and learn the play book quickly. Look for Favre to hook up with our second draft pick Dustin Keller on repeated occasions this season - K.

After a 4 and 12 season we are not a lock to make the playoffs, but we will definitely be in the mix.

This is John Clayton's take on it, just remember he is a huge Jets basher from way back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3523022
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #4124 on: August 7, 2008, 02:47:09 pm »
Or maybe he's just being realistic?

Let's face it, there's no guarantee all your off-season acquisitions will gel (can you say Redskins?), you don't run anywhere near the same offense or have the same calibre weapons, and there are big question marks over your coaches.  And by the sounds of things he didn;t even want to go there.  He's going to have to bond with the receivers and tight ends, and he's going to have to learn the entire playbook in about 3 weeks.

Tell you what, I can see you boys falling flat on your faces week 1 against the Dolphins.
Believe.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #4125 on: August 7, 2008, 03:16:04 pm »
Actually this is a good move for the Jets IMO. Still, the New York Jets are the Prem. equivalent of Newcastle/Everton. The comparison to Newcastle is that they never win anything and the similarity to Everton is that they've always taken a back seat to the other team in town.

I can see why they did it but I'm not sure if it'll work out. He'll be 39 soon and isn't exactly surrounded with great talent. Gonna be strange to see him in a Jet uniform though.

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #4126 on: August 7, 2008, 03:44:48 pm »
Thank god he's gone. It's been an absolute circus in Green Bay for the last few months.
@_michaelgill

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4127 on: August 8, 2008, 03:57:40 pm »

I see the Jets starting 1-3 and the New York media starting to do what they are good at.

Where will Pennington land though? Bears? Phins?
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4128 on: August 8, 2008, 04:08:30 pm »
anyone on here a fan of NCAA football? specifically the SEC?  Most entertaining and dramatic brand of American football in my opinion, also by far and away the best atmosphere.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #4129 on: August 8, 2008, 04:52:22 pm »
anyone on here a fan of NCAA football? specifically the SEC?  Most entertaining and dramatic brand of American football in my opinion, also by far and away the best atmosphere.

The NFL must adapt the NCAA overtime system. But NCAA must adapt a playoff system instead of their shite Bowl games
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4130 on: August 8, 2008, 04:57:48 pm »
The NFL must adapt the NCAA overtime system. But NCAA must adapt a playoff system instead of their shite Bowl games

Bowl games make too much money, I have a much more unlikely and complicated plan for how to fix college football ;D, and it somehow doesn't involve playoffs.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #4131 on: August 8, 2008, 05:03:15 pm »
Joe, there is a dedicated college football thread here.
DAMMIT!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #4132 on: August 8, 2008, 05:15:10 pm »
Bowl games make too much money, I have a much more unlikely and complicated plan for how to fix college football ;D, and it somehow doesn't involve playoffs.

Well give it to me
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4133 on: August 8, 2008, 10:10:18 pm »
I like the NCAA games that get shown on NASN

Big follower of the 'U' - if only you could make a NFL team of current hurricanes... FRIGHTENING!

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4134 on: August 8, 2008, 10:20:11 pm »
I like the NCAA games that get shown on NASN

Big follower of the 'U' - if only you could make a NFL team of current hurricanes... FRIGHTENING!

the U have fallen off a LOT in the last couple of seasons. Monster freshman class though so they might be on the upswing. Both Miami and Florida State have suffered from TERRIBLE quaterback play for 6+ seasons now.  Both schools are still putting all their other players into the NFL though. I guess its comparable to Ajax or River Plate

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4135 on: August 8, 2008, 10:40:16 pm »

why? he had a fluke year last year, he'll be cack next season, just wait...

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #4136 on: August 9, 2008, 03:48:42 pm »
why? he had a fluke year last year, he'll be cack next season, just wait...

a fluke? you're joking right?

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4137 on: August 9, 2008, 03:55:06 pm »

Why? Brady is far better than Favre and the Pats have better players in the other 21 positions and even on special teams.
They also have the better coach in Belichick.

Favre is in for a rude awakening. In Green Bay he was the superstar, the idol. But now he is playing in New York and if he puts together a couple bad games in a row, the crowd will start booing his arse off.
The NFC is wide open for the most part but the AFC has 3 Superbowl caliber teams and then some other quality teams like Pittsburgh, Jacksonville and maybe the Titans.

Good luck Brett...you'll need it.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4138 on: August 9, 2008, 04:05:16 pm »
I presume Hierro meant pissing his pants laughing.
We're on our way to glory...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #4139 on: August 14, 2008, 02:27:32 pm »
Well the Bills are playing against the Steelers in beautiful Toronto tonight.

I would be going to the match but the average cost is $225 for 1 ticket (roughly 110 quid). This whole Bills to Toronto shit better not happen if they plan on raping match goers like that. Will watch it on TV because I'm doing a road trip to Buffalo in September against the Raiders for $150! The cost of breakfast/coach there and back/tickets/ and the priceless cost of getting wasted all day in another country.

Fuck you Ted Rogers making a fucking pre season game the most expensive sporting event in Toronto - no wonder it hasn't sold out you c*nt

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4140 on: August 14, 2008, 09:55:55 pm »
Vikings at 28s are my outside bet this year.

Anyone else got any?

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #4141 on: August 14, 2008, 10:14:21 pm »

Anyone else got any?

Not outsiders but was contemplating a couple of quid e/w on the Cowboys.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4142 on: August 14, 2008, 11:39:37 pm »
Not outsiders but was contemplating a couple of quid e/w on the Cowboys.

Cowboys are fast becoming the Liverpool of the NFL though, if you know what I mean.

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #4143 on: August 15, 2008, 12:08:50 am »

Anyone else got any?

Vikings are my pick too.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #4144 on: August 15, 2008, 12:17:05 am »
I presume Hierro meant pissing his pants laughing.

Indeed I did :)

Hilarious move, and if anything completes the notion that Mangina must win now or face the consequences.  It will take him a while to get to grips with the Playbook and the different style offense, and the receivers he has are nowhere near the calibre of the ones in Cinncy.

Even if he gets them to the Playoffs, can you see them getting passed someone like the Jags or the Chargers?  Uh uh.  You can picture it now when he has his first 4 INT game, and the New York media is baying for his blood.

Week 1 too - against the Chad Pennington Dolphins, who knows the Jets playbook like the back of his (weak and feeble) hand.  I bet the Dolphins DC knows more about the Jets offensive schemes right now than Favre does!
Believe.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #4145 on: August 15, 2008, 12:19:58 am »

Anyone else got any?

Giants at 25's.  Apart from Strahan, what else have they lost?  They could do it again.  I said just after the Superbowl, they remind me a lot of the '01 Pats.

Jags at 15's looks good, it's just a case of whether they can finally topple Indy.  They'll never have a better chance.
Believe.

Offline DC8

• Main Stander
« Reply #4146 on: August 15, 2008, 03:00:49 am »
Well the Bills are playing against the Steelers in beautiful Toronto tonight.

I would be going to the match but the average cost is $225 for 1 ticket (roughly 110 quid). This whole Bills to Toronto shit better not happen if they plan on raping match goers like that. Will watch it on TV because I'm doing a road trip to Buffalo in September against the Raiders for $150! The cost of breakfast/coach there and back/tickets/ and the priceless cost of getting wasted all day in another country.

Fuck you Ted Rogers making a fucking pre season game the most expensive sporting event in Toronto - no wonder it hasn't sold out you c*nt

Nice, used to do the bus trip from Niagara at least twice a year to Bills games, insane times. Pretty sure every time I've gone there has been massive brawls between several of the bus trippers. A few years back v. the Chargers in December, witnessesd a bus full of drunken Santa's beat down a group of over 40's. Classic. Regardless of price, I have no interest seeing the Bills in Toronto, the atmosphere will never be what it is at the Ralph, plus there's no tailgating. As far as the Bills moving north, was watching an interview on The Score earlier with Jim Kelly, who basically said his 'friends' have enough money to make sure the Bills stay put in WNY.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #4147 on: August 15, 2008, 06:44:27 am »
Vikings are my pick too.

They're not going anywhere (and by anywhere i mean the super bowl) with Tarvaris Jackson. Their defense and running game are scary though.

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #4148 on: August 15, 2008, 09:19:38 am »
Giants at 25's.  Apart from Strahan, what else have they lost?
Kawika Mitchell, Jeremy Shockey & Gibril Wilson
@_michaelgill

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #4149 on: August 15, 2008, 09:29:05 am »
Kawika Mitchell, Jeremy Shockey & Gibril Wilson
So not much then.  They were better without Shockey, Mitchell didn't play during the Playoffs did he?  And Kenny Phillips should replace Wilson's output.

Just realised they've lost Reggie Torbor as well, but he was only back up for Kiwanuka.

Nope, that team still looks very good to me.
Believe.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #4150 on: August 15, 2008, 07:23:41 pm »
Nice, used to do the bus trip from Niagara at least twice a year to Bills games, insane times. Pretty sure every time I've gone there has been massive brawls between several of the bus trippers. A few years back v. the Chargers in December, witnessesd a bus full of drunken Santa's beat down a group of over 40's. Classic. Regardless of price, I have no interest seeing the Bills in Toronto, the atmosphere will never be what it is at the Ralph, plus there's no tailgating. As far as the Bills moving north, was watching an interview on The Score earlier with Jim Kelly, who basically said his 'friends' have enough money to make sure the Bills stay put in WNY.

:lmao at the bus of Santas

Yeah I dont know what's going to happen with the Bills. I dont really want the Bills to leave Buffalo even though I really want an NFL team in Toronto.

I just dont see how a team in Los Angeles and Toronto cant start up in the league though. I understand that Toronto is alot different from LA because a)we're Canadian and b) we aleady have the CFL

But why cant Goodell start up a franchise in LA already?

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #4151 on: August 15, 2008, 08:22:03 pm »
Patriots have signed John Lynch to a one year deal. Could be another Belichick masterstroke.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline Julio

• Legacy Fan
  • Brrrrrrr
« Reply #4152 on: August 15, 2008, 09:30:54 pm »
Saints at 20/1 look like a decent outside bet to me...
"We do not want a single foot of foreign territory; but of our territory we shall not surrender a single inch to anyone"

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #4153 on: August 15, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »
Cowboys are fast becoming the Liverpool of the NFL though, if you know what I mean.

Ah. Was only going to be a small punt, might be even smaller now.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Red Star

• Kopite
« Reply #4154 on: August 15, 2008, 10:31:14 pm »
Jags at 15-1 looks a good price. Also think 33-1 for the Steelers is high.

50-1 for my Skins  :-\

Offline Red Star

• Kopite
« Reply #4155 on: August 15, 2008, 10:35:25 pm »
In Divisional betting I like the Jags, Packers and Seahawks which pays just under 19-1 at Joe Corals.

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #4156 on: August 15, 2008, 11:16:34 pm »
My Jags are going the superbowl this year...mark my words

Garrard will be better after his first full year, and finally with a decent WR in Jerry Porter he's hopefully got someone consistent to throw too...with Taylor and MJD running the ball im confident we can challenge indy in the AFC South...we may have unearthed a new kick returner too in witherspoon

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #4157 on: August 16, 2008, 09:26:21 am »
Vikes at 28 is the steal of the century fellas, even with a bit of an unknown quantity in Jackson at QB.

All he has to be is steady, that D and the run game can take them all the way.
Believe.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4158 on: August 16, 2008, 10:44:05 am »
Nope, that team still looks very good to me.

I reckon they don't even make the play-offs finishing 3rd or 4th in the division.

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4159 on: August 24, 2008, 05:32:44 am »
Osi and Jason Taylor both got carted off the field tonight during preseason games.

As a Giants fan, the fact that Osi might be out for the year makes me want to crap my pants, and/or get Stray back.