Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2819180 times)

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
Re: The NFL Thread...
« Reply #880 on: April 27, 2006, 04:18:45 am »
Vince Young won't be eluding NFL tacklers the way he did in college. I'm not sold on him but this is a compelling draft on Saturday.

I agree, and, to be honest, I'm not sold on Leinart either... Out of all those QB's I'd be safest with  Cutler, he put up great numbers in a pro style offense with little around him for talent...

Young never took snaps under center, and Leinart was surrounded by all stars... 

Oh the drama of the NFL draft...

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #881 on: April 27, 2006, 04:20:49 am »
I agree, and, to be honest, I'm not sold on Leinart either... Out of all those QB's I'd be safest with  Cutler, he put up great numbers in a pro style offense with little around him for talent...

Young never took snaps under center, and Leinart was surrounded by all stars... 

Oh the drama of the NFL draft...

All 3 might end up as busts.....its a lottery and those who get 10 year players out of it will have done very well.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline SteeleRED

• Crazy loudmouthed American who doesn't give a s*** what you think of him
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #882 on: April 27, 2006, 03:10:47 pm »
Strahan, Umenyiora, Arrington and Pierce are all Pro-Bowl caliber players.

Madison, Demps and G. Wilson are all above average at their positions.

William Joseph is an up and coming DT, Short's a decent third LB, and Webster's a 2nd year CB with loads of potential...tell me why the Giants defense can't be a force this year.

Your defense ranked 24th out of 32 in the NFL. That means only 8 teams had a worse defense.
 Alonzo Jackson was horrible for the Steelers, Brandon Short has never done anything (and is a Carolina reject), and your secondary is atrocious, especially after losing Will Allen. Sam Madison? He was CUT by the 'Phins 'cuz he's seen better days. Demps was the least heralded of the Ravens defenders for a reason: he's only average. And R.W. McQuarters? McToast, as he's better known?
At least you dumped Kendrick Clancy and Brent Alexander in the off-season (another couple of Steeler rejects). But overall, there's alot of work to be done there. Great offense that will only get better, but a sorry, sorry D.
Football fan, yes, but fan of many other sports, too.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #883 on: April 27, 2006, 04:29:44 pm »
Dolphins, Saints, Eagles, and Broncos are all pursuiting Packers WR Javon Walker, possibly for a trade before the draft this weekend...

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #884 on: April 27, 2006, 04:51:18 pm »
He'sa damn fine player and the pak would be stupid to let him go if you ask me! Did say recently in here we need a WR to compete so i'd definitly be happy with that one if comes through!
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #885 on: April 27, 2006, 08:07:49 pm »
Your defense ranked 24th out of 32 in the NFL. That means only 8 teams had a worse defense.
 Alonzo Jackson was horrible for the Steelers, Brandon Short has never done anything (and is a Carolina reject), and your secondary is atrocious, especially after losing Will Allen. Sam Madison? He was CUT by the 'Phins 'cuz he's seen better days. Demps was the least heralded of the Ravens defenders for a reason: he's only average. And R.W. McQuarters? McToast, as he's better known?
At least you dumped Kendrick Clancy and Brent Alexander in the off-season (another couple of Steeler rejects). But overall, there's alot of work to be done there. Great offense that will only get better, but a sorry, sorry D.

That statistic means nothing (using yards)...it's the # of points you concede which means everything.

The Giants finished 14th in points allowed (slightly better than average).

Alonzo Jackson is going to get cut.  Short's a backup for Emmons at LB, if Emmons is healthy (or doesn't get cut).  Madison's not a Pro-Bowler but still a very legitimate #1 corner.  Demps is coming off a knee surgery but he and Ed Reed formed one of the best safety tandems in the league, and no, it wasn't all Ed Reed.  ANYONE is an upgrade from Will Allen, even Mc25cents.

This defense is significantly improved, and all it really needs is a stud DT and a #2 corner and it will be among the top 5 easily
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: April 27, 2006, 09:21:14 pm »
He'sa damn fine player and the pak would be stupid to let him go if you ask me! Did say recently in here we need a WR to compete so i'd definitly be happy with that one if comes through!

It's not really a matter of letting him go, he said he doesnt want to play there anymore... I agree, I think he is awesome...  But why not get something for him you know?

He has demanded he be traded and if he is not, he said he will not play for the packers and will retire instead.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #887 on: April 27, 2006, 09:51:44 pm »
Let me get this straight  .  .  he's threatening to retire at age 27? That's comical! Sounds like an overbearing agent is planting words in his client. He ain't retiring from the NFL, believe me  ::)

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #888 on: April 28, 2006, 02:35:26 am »
Let me get this straight  .  .  he's threatening to retire at age 27? That's comical! Sounds like an overbearing agent is planting words in his client. He ain't retiring from the NFL, believe me  ::)

oh I agree 100%, all I'm saying is, I don't see him playing football next year if he is on the Packers roster...

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #889 on: April 28, 2006, 02:43:48 pm »

Amen    ;D

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: April 28, 2006, 02:44:30 pm »
The Patriots will probably go for a Linebacker in the First Round. 

Offline SteeleRED

• Crazy loudmouthed American who doesn't give a s*** what you think of him
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #891 on: April 28, 2006, 09:33:57 pm »
Tomorrow is NFL Draft Day, one of the most exciting events in any professional sports' off seasons, and I've got a class to teach from 8:40 to noon PDT. Means I'll miss the first 3+ hours of the draft!  :no
Well, TGIT (Thank God for TIVO)!  ;D
Football fan, yes, but fan of many other sports, too.

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #892 on: April 28, 2006, 10:05:22 pm »
Just incase anyone wasn't already aware there's live coverage of the draft available in the UK on NASN (Sky Chl 417, NTL Chl 917, Telewest Chl 533) starting tomorrow at 16.00 with rounds 1 thru 3 then rounds 4 thru 7 shown as live on Mon starting at 17.00.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: April 28, 2006, 11:19:34 pm »
I'll go out on a limb and predict that Vince Young will be an NFL bust.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: April 29, 2006, 02:39:42 am »
Sensational news that Mario Williams is now the draft no 1. To be honest Williams fills a much bigger hole for the Texans....they are already amply endowed in the RB department. Makes the rest of the draft very interesting.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #895 on: April 29, 2006, 04:31:51 am »
Now there is a mad scramble to jump to no. 2 and get Reggie.....New Orleans could very well pass on him even if they stay at no. 2. Bush falling to No. 2 was inconcievable before the draft, let alone him falling further.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: April 29, 2006, 04:40:49 am »
Now there is a mad scramble to jump to no. 2 and get Reggie.....New Orleans could very well pass on him even if they stay at no. 2. Bush falling to No. 2 was inconcievable before the draft, let alone him falling further.

Or New Orleans could basically take another team's entire draft in exchange for the rights to draft Reggie Bush
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: April 29, 2006, 04:57:37 am »
Or New Orleans could basically take another team's entire draft in exchange for the rights to draft Reggie Bush

On the cards....the NO GM has just said that it is almost definite that they will pick Bush, but after today's events we won't know that for sure until this time tomorrow.

Most interesting draft in years.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: April 29, 2006, 05:08:52 am »
On the cards....the NO GM has just said that it is almost definite that they will pick Bush, but after today's events we won't know that for sure until this time tomorrow.

Most interesting draft in years.

No doubt an incredibly interesting draft

The key words there are "almost definite"...he's gotten at least a half-dozen offers for Reggie Bush.  He can basically play all of those teams off against each other and raise the price to a ridiculous amount of draft picks and even established NFL players.  Then, if nobody wants to deal, he'll just go right ahead and pick Bush

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: April 29, 2006, 05:28:51 am »
Bush and his agent shot themselves in the foot with their money demands....now he'll have to settle for a No. 2's money or less.

To be honest I don't think there are that many clubs that are in a position to trade up....they either don't have the picks or the players, or have too many holes to fill on their roster to give up players or picks.

Looks like Bush is going to Orleans.

Offline Brigor Cheyaore

• Kopite
  • The Next Pires!
« Reply #900 on: April 29, 2006, 07:10:11 am »
How can the Texans 'sign' Williams before the draft?  Does it just mean that they've both agreed on terms for a contract already?

Anyway, enough of this Leinart/Young/Cutler crap, Kellen Clemens is where it's at.  Tough, mobile, experienced under three different pro-style offensive cordinators, and before he got injured, his numbers were fantastic.
RAWK Fantasy Baseball 2006 Champion!

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: April 29, 2006, 07:44:52 am »
How can the Texans 'sign' Williams before the draft?  Does it just mean that they've both agreed on terms for a contract already?

Anyway, enough of this Leinart/Young/Cutler crap, Kellen Clemens is where it's at.  Tough, mobile, experienced under three different pro-style offensive cordinators, and before he got injured, his numbers were fantastic.

They've got the number 1 pick.....the lad has already signed. Now number 2 in the draft order, NO, can begin contract negotiations with their pick. There is a big difference in guaranteed money as you go down the draft.

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: April 29, 2006, 09:35:02 am »
I think BUSH is going to the JETS. New Orleans need work and the Jets can offer two first round picks and more to get him.
The draft just got very interesting. Reading on internet that the Packers and Raiders are now also looking at Bush as his agent is now trying to save some face and says he cannot do preseason at NO. Let the trading begin.

Who do you hope your team takes?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 09:38:04 am by daddymac »
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: April 29, 2006, 10:54:41 am »
I'm a Jets fan.....if we got Bush I would be over the moon; if we have to sell our draft to get him, I wouldn't.

The Jets might get him just by sitting pat at number 4, as NO are stocked at RB, and the Titans want a QB.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #904 on: April 29, 2006, 12:03:58 pm »
Can Bush really be passed on though? If NO don't want him they will trade - no way to they take D'Brickshaw Ferguson over Bush.

If Bush has gone and Titans take say Lienart/Young, who do you want? The QB they don't take?

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #905 on: April 29, 2006, 12:28:12 pm »
I think if Bush isn't there (highly likely as you say), I hope we trade down with the Raiders to 7....they are desperate to get their hands on either Young or Leinart. I think at 7 that D'Brick will still be available, as the Pack and the 9ers will pick up AJ Hawk and Vernon Davis respectively. In other words I hope we pick up Brick but at 7, not 4, and get ourselves an extra 2nd rounder in the process.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: April 29, 2006, 12:35:00 pm »
If Bush went first overall the Saints were all set to pounce on Ferguson. This may or may not change things but I really think the Jets were licking their chops over the real possibility of getting Williams. All I can say is  .  .  stay tuned.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #907 on: April 29, 2006, 01:36:45 pm »
If Bush went first overall the Saints were all set to pounce on Ferguson. This may or may not change things but I really think the Jets were licking their chops over the real possibility of getting Williams. All I can say is  .  .  stay tuned.

Someone will definitely try to trade up to 3 if Bush slips that far....maybe the 9ers. There aren't that many quality left tackles out there, and the Brick is a blue chippy who will be protecting the lucky QB's blindside for the next 13 years, so it is possible the Saints will take him.

It's a very interesting draft....how long until it starts? Must be only a few hours now.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #908 on: April 29, 2006, 01:39:53 pm »
By the way, I think Lendale White has failed a drug test....the second most talented tailbackin the draft might be going on day 2 now.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #909 on: April 29, 2006, 03:08:05 pm »
I know he has failed a drug test but if he is there in round four he's a must. Isn't he?

An hour to go...

GO BEARS

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: April 29, 2006, 03:27:46 pm »
White has several "red flags" working aginst him. Apparently he hasn't taken care of himself since January with some weight gain problems and now other "issues". Buyer beware.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #911 on: April 29, 2006, 03:30:07 pm »
Lendale White and Marcus Vick huh?

Will be interesting in the second day to see if anyone takes a shot at Vick...

Offline Vinay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: April 29, 2006, 05:53:14 pm »
So, with their 4th pick, The Jets show that my man Pennington, injury or not, is still DA MAN in the house!!!!

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: April 29, 2006, 06:20:04 pm »
So, with their 4th pick, The Jets show that my man Pennington, injury or not, is still DA MAN in the house!!!!
The Jets have just made a good pick because a left tackle is vital in protecting a right handed qb. Big time quarterbacks don't exactly grow on trees and the Jets need an upgrade over Chad and Ramsay IMO. Apparently Leinart wasn't their guy.

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #914 on: April 29, 2006, 06:22:51 pm »
Bills on the clock with the 8th pick & Cutler & Leinert still out there

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #915 on: April 29, 2006, 06:33:16 pm »
Can't believe Houston didn't pick Reggie. Bills got Whitner, Detroit got Sims.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #916 on: April 29, 2006, 06:34:36 pm »
Bills on the clock with the 8th pick & Cutler & Leinert still out there

Still out there with Arizona to pick as well.

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #917 on: April 29, 2006, 06:36:17 pm »
Cardinals choose Leinart, christ they've got a whole load of offensive talent now. Cutler to the Browns or Ravens then?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 06:37:56 pm by Kardiffuk »

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #918 on: April 29, 2006, 06:39:42 pm »
Cutler to Rams surely.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 06:41:17 pm by Tom_B »
We're on our way to glory...

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #919 on: April 29, 2006, 06:47:43 pm »
Cutler to Broncos having traded up from Rams.