Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2818991 times)

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The NFL Thread...
« Reply #840 on: March 28, 2006, 07:46:05 am »
Mock draft from NFL countdown....one of the most accurate around. Very deep draft this time around, some fantastic talent available: certain prospects who were looking the goods will probably end up as busts though at the NFL level.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #841 on: April 6, 2006, 06:39:38 pm »
NFL Schedule comes out today, at 2pm EST. 

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #842 on: April 6, 2006, 07:05:55 pm »
Link to 2006 season schedule just announced:

http://www.nfl.com/schedules

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #843 on: April 6, 2006, 07:51:27 pm »
Where it states 'open date', is this a bye week for the teams listed? In Chicago on 22nd Oct and was hoping to, finally, get to an NFL game, but they're down as having an open week. They were away when I was in there last time too. Ah well, maybe third time lucky?
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #844 on: April 6, 2006, 07:52:47 pm »
Fantastic! Finnies playing in opener, christmas day and away to colts last game of season, could be on tv few times over here :D

on down side we have to play the steelers and colts of course.

funny how its ages away but gets u bit interested already.

EDIT: and thanksgiving :o

Only cold game we have in dec is bills, but looking forward to seeing us help end bretts career midseason ;)

Myabe we'll get to play at home mid feb :D
« Last Edit: April 6, 2006, 08:30:13 pm by bryanodowd »
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: April 6, 2006, 08:23:38 pm »
Dec, 21, 2006.. Will try to get to GB for Favre's swan song, if he comes back!

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #846 on: April 6, 2006, 08:39:44 pm »
Fantastic! Finnies playing in opener, christmas day and away to colts last game of season, could be on tv few times over here :D

on down side we have to play the steelers and colts of course.

funny how its ages away but gets u bit interested already.

EDIT: and thanksgiving :o

Only cold game we have in dec is bills, but looking forward to seeing us help end bretts career midseason ;)

Myabe we'll get to play at home mid feb :D

And don't forget the tasty week 11 encounter!! 

Vikes at the Fins and the battle of Childress v Culpepper.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: April 8, 2006, 04:20:58 am »
Tomorrow morning, 8:30am press conference from Favre, supposedly announcing his plans for next year, hopefully he's coming back!

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #848 on: April 22, 2006, 11:07:44 pm »
NY Giants sign Lavar Arrington to 7-year deal...

Their pass rush is now ridiculous
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline bryanod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: April 22, 2006, 11:36:39 pm »
Jory harrington looks set to sign for the finnies, and probably start the season as #1. They're certainly trying to take the load off the RB's, just pity ricky is in trouble again ::)

Still said need another wr to help them out though. but starting at 9-7 we look like should improve!

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: April 23, 2006, 12:02:38 am »
Jory harrington looks set to sign for the finnies, and probably start the season as #1. They're certainly trying to take the load off the RB's, just pity ricky is in trouble again ::)

Still said need another wr to help them out though. but starting at 9-7 we look like should improve!

No way Harrington starts over Culpepper (unless Daunte is injured)
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

Offline bryanod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: April 23, 2006, 12:03:53 am »
No way Harrington starts over Culpepper (unless Daunte is injured)

he is struggling i believe :D

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: April 23, 2006, 04:03:16 am »
Draft coming up in 7 days or so....will be very interesting to see how things pan out for the various franchises. Houston maybe are considering giving up Reggie Bush to get "Super Mario" Williams, as they are already well off in the running back department.....or maybe that is one of the many smokescreens going up as to what club's intentions are.

The Jets are well placed to take advanatage of a talented draft....have around 5 picks in the first 100, as well as two in the first round (4 and 29) and a second rounder (35).

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: April 23, 2006, 06:50:05 am »
can't wait to see who my packers pick::)... fucking ted thompson is fucking rediculous ::)  :no

Offline daddymac

• THE IGOR BISCAN FANCLUB
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: April 23, 2006, 11:22:14 am »
The (fudge) Packers will take A J HAWK i reckon - an absolute beast of a man
Babel's clincher was the absolute jizz on the tits.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: April 23, 2006, 11:43:05 am »
Heard some elaborate rumours doing the rounds about what will happen with the first seven picks. I've heard that the Jets might trade down to pick 7 and still pick up the best OL in the draft in D'Brick: this was part of an elaborate draft deal involving 5 clubs that would see the Raiders move up to 2 in an effort to get Leinart. Anyway, I would be suprised if Super Mario is there at pick 4 for the Jets, but if he is they'll have to take him: D'Brick is a great player, but you can't pick OL in the top 5 surely.

I would have thought that the OLine would have been on the Packers mind as well, considering how many times Favre ended up on his behind last season.

Anyone seen the clips doing the rounds of Vernon Davis? He is a luxury pick for a struggling team at TE, but he is the best prospect at the position seen in years. He will be giving defences nightmares for a decade or so if he stays healthy.

What picks do the Packers have out of interest, apart from the number 6?

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: April 23, 2006, 11:46:13 am »

Offline SteeleRED

• Crazy loudmouthed American who doesn't give a s*** what you think of him
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #857 on: April 24, 2006, 04:53:32 am »
NY Giants sign Lavar Arrington to 7-year deal...

Their pass rush is now ridiculous

Well, Arrington added to that front four is formidable. But you still have Alonso Jackson starting for you at OLB, too. He's pathetic! And that secondary's not much better. This will help you move up from #24 defensively, but not enough.
Football fan, yes, but fan of many other sports, too.

Offline SteeleRED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #858 on: April 24, 2006, 04:59:26 am »
Heard some elaborate rumours doing the rounds about what will happen with the first seven picks. I've heard that the Jets might trade down to pick 7 and still pick up the best OL in the draft in D'Brick: this was part of an elaborate draft deal involving 5 clubs that would see the Raiders move up to 2 in an effort to get Leinart. Anyway, I would be suprised if Super Mario is there at pick 4 for the Jets, but if he is they'll have to take him: D'Brick is a great player, but you can't pick OL in the top 5 surely.

Any rumors of a 5-team deal is mostly likely just so much garbage. I think the Jets might trade down, but not if they really hope to get D'Brick. Don't think any of the rumored deals will go through myself, because it usually takes too much to get those things to come off.
 I think N.O. will take Williams, and D'Brick will go to the Jets. High pick for an OL, but looks like he'll be worth it.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: April 24, 2006, 05:07:31 am »
Well, Arrington added to that front four is formidable. But you still have Alonso Jackson starting for you at OLB, too. He's pathetic! And that secondary's not much better. This will help you move up from #24 defensively, but not enough.

Nah, our third linebacker will either be Reggie Torbor or Brandon Short...both capable players.  Neither one is a star, but you can't have a star at every position.

The Giants defense now has Strahan, Umenyiora, Pierce, Arrington, Madison, Demps and Gibril Wilson.  That's a big-time defense.  If they can draft a stud at DT it becomes a virtually impregnable defense.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: April 24, 2006, 06:26:27 am »
Any rumors of a 5-team deal is mostly likely just so much garbage. I think the Jets might trade down, but not if they really hope to get D'Brick. Don't think any of the rumored deals will go through myself, because it usually takes too much to get those things to come off.
 I think N.O. will take Williams, and D'Brick will go to the Jets. High pick for an OL, but looks like he'll be worth it.

There is a chance N O will take D Brick, but yes Mario for them is much more likely. There are so many smoke screens thrown up pre draft that its very hard to tell the intentions of clubs until the whole process ends. The Jets had a different approach to their assessment of players this draft: they decided to place the candidates in the most uncomfortable position possible, instead of interviewing them in a standard way. The three 'big' QB's went through their plays in college with Jets staff on tape and were asked to give reasons why they did this or that in a particular play/s and why particular plays worked or didn't work. Then followed a rapid Q & A session involving as many plays as possible on a whiteboard. Mangini, the Jets coach, said he found the whole process quite 'revealing' about the players assessed.

To be honest, the Jets roster, in particular on the offensive side, is looking extremely weak indeed. Probably one of the reasons why they are taking every precaution possible in this draft as it is one of the most important for them in years.

Offline SteeleRED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #861 on: April 24, 2006, 06:18:04 pm »
Nah, our third linebacker will either be Reggie Torbor or Brandon Short...both capable players.  Neither one is a star, but you can't have a star at every position.

The Giants defense now has Strahan, Umenyiora, Pierce, Arrington, Madison, Demps and Gibril Wilson.  That's a big-time defense.  If they can draft a stud at DT it becomes a virtually impregnable defense.

And I stand by my original assessment: outside your front four and Arrington, I can't think of a single defender on your squad who I'd want on my squad. Of course, my squad IS the Super Bowl Champions!  ;) But I can think of quite a few more defenses who strike more fear in me than yours. Nice offense, but you have LOADS of work to do on D to get to the level of, say, Seattle, Carolina or Washington (to name just 3 in your own conference).

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: April 24, 2006, 06:58:02 pm »
And I stand by my original assessment: outside your front four and Arrington, I can't think of a single defender on your squad who I'd want on my squad. Of course, my squad IS the Super Bowl Champions!  ;) But I can think of quite a few more defenses who strike more fear in me than yours. Nice offense, but you have LOADS of work to do on D to get to the level of, say, Seattle, Carolina or Washington (to name just 3 in your own conference).

Strahan, Umenyiora, Arrington and Pierce are all Pro-Bowl caliber players.

Madison, Demps and G. Wilson are all above average at their positions.

William Joseph is an up and coming DT, Short's a decent third LB, and Webster's a 2nd year CB with loads of potential...tell me why the Giants defense can't be a force this year.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: April 24, 2006, 08:18:19 pm »
I personally think NO takes Super Mario, following that Titans take either Leinart (most likely) or Young. That leaves the Jets and their QB situation (especially with the uncertainty over Pennington) However i would not be a bit surprised if the Raiders traded up to get the pick and give Jets the number seven and more first day picks.

I want the Bears to take Carpenter, Bing, Whitner (unlikely) or trade down (maybe with Buffalo?) I know many are predicting tight end but i am hoping Pope falls to us in the second...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 08:33:32 pm by daddymac »

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: April 24, 2006, 09:58:45 pm »
I personally think NO takes Super Mario, following that Titans take either Leinart (most likely) or Young. That leaves the Jets and their QB situation (especially with the uncertainty over Pennington) However i would not be a bit surprised if the Raiders traded up to get the pick and give Jets the number seven and more first day picks.

I want the Bears to take Carpenter, Bing, Whitner (unlikely) or trade down (maybe with Buffalo?) I know many are predicting tight end but i am hoping Pope falls to us in the second...

If I were the Jets I would take a gamble and draft either Young or Cutler...totally blow the current team up, and rebuild into a perennial playoff contender in three years.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: April 25, 2006, 08:32:20 am »
Wouldn't surprise me if they tried for Young but don't you think a few more first day picks would be better for them?

Nice signing in Lavarr by the way...

Who do you think the Giants will draft now? I thought you might go for Carpenter but now you have acquired Arrington, what are your priorities?

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: April 25, 2006, 02:17:39 pm »
Jets may drop to 7, so Oakland can pick up either Young or Leinart. Leinart has a noodle arm which would not do well in the middle of a New York winter. Cutler is probably the best quarterback in the draft.

The Jets will either get Vernon Davis or D'Brick at 7, plus an extra second rounder.

Top 10 then:

1. Houston - Reggie Bush
2. NO - Mario Williams
3. Tennesee - either Leinart or Young...probably Young
4. Raiders (swap with Jets) - Leinart
5. Packers - A J Hawk
6. 9ers - Vernon Davis
7. Jets - D'Brick
8. Buffalo - who cares
9. Detroit - Bunkley
10 Arizona - Jay Cutler

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #867 on: April 25, 2006, 03:09:03 pm »
7 year/49M for a player coming off knee surgery? Hope the Giants know what they're doing.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #868 on: April 26, 2006, 04:05:04 am »
FAVRE RETURNS!

I"M GIDDY!

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: April 26, 2006, 04:34:49 am »
7 year/49M for a player coming off knee surgery? Hope the Giants know what they're doing.

It's actually 3.7 mil a year over 7 years with 5.25 mil in signing bonus.  If he reaches all incentives he'll get the 49 million, but he'd have to be NFL MVP like every year to see the entire 49 million

Most pundits consider the Arrington contract terrible for Lavar and great for the Giants

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: April 26, 2006, 08:32:01 am »
FAVRE RETURNS!

I"M GIDDY!

so am I.

hee hee...

Offline bryanod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: April 26, 2006, 03:26:39 pm »
NFL drugs suspension for Williams 

Williams continues to make headlines for the wrong reasons
Controversial Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has been banned for the NFL's 2006-07 season after his fourth positive drugs test.
Williams failed in an attempt to overturn his latest violation in a meeting with NFL lawyers on 10 April.

"I'm disappointed with the decision but I respect it," said the former Heisman Trophy winner in a statement.

Williams previously tested positive for marijuana. He quit the NFL aged 27 in 2004 but returned with Miami last year.

When he retired for the first time, the troubled star said: "I just don't want to be in this business anymore."

Williams was seen as a potential NFL great after a fine college career.

But he failed to live up to his potential with the New Orleans Saints and was dogged by personal problems off the field.

He joined Miami in 2002 to try and kick-start his career, but after some initial success, his demons returned and he quit the sport two years later.

With the Dolphins chasing $5m which they claimed to be owed by Williams, he returned to the league last season.

Williams ran for 743 yards while sharing duties with rookie Ronnie Brown for the Dolphins.

:butt :butt what an idiot :P

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: April 26, 2006, 03:58:49 pm »
Williams is a strange guy and always has been. I don't think his heart has ever been in it to be honest. He'd rather sit back and get high someplace. He's got kids all over the place from various relationships and has alienated teammates throughout his entire career. I don't think this guy gets it.

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #873 on: April 26, 2006, 04:17:06 pm »
Well that's that's Ricky's career gone to pot! 

Don't worry the coat's on.  ;D

Doubt if Saban would touch him again after this episode, it'll also be interesting to see how the Fins play the game over the outstanding $8.5m he still owes them for breaking his contract.
But this has gotta be a great opportunity for Ronnie Brown to break it open as the big time RB in South FLA.

Offline daddymac

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: April 26, 2006, 11:06:55 pm »
makes a few more changes to some peoples draft plans as the Fins will no doubt be looking at someone to share the load with Brown. Maybe a 2nd round pick on a RB?

Offline Kardiffuk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #875 on: April 26, 2006, 11:32:58 pm »
makes a few more changes to some peoples draft plans as the Fins will no doubt be looking at someone to share the load with Brown. Maybe a 2nd round pick on a RB?

No 2nd rounder for the Fins (given up in Culpepper trade).
I doubt they'll go for another RB in the early rounds to be honest, having Culpepper airing the ball out to the likes of Chambers & McMichael will surely ease the pressure up front allowing Brown to make the breaks through the holes. Plus they already have Travis Minor & Sammy Morris as backup, IMO I think they'll look at the off line & secondary with the first day picks.

They've got the following picks: #16 in the 1st, #82 in the 3rd, #114 in the 4th, #212 & #226 in the 7th 

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: April 27, 2006, 01:25:08 am »
Packers just inked CB Woodson to a deal...

The agreement is a seven-year deal worth $52 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal and $18 million over the first three years. Woodson will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is selected to the Pro Bowl in two of the first three years of the contract.

it can only help, anything is an upgrade over Ahmad Carroll...

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: April 27, 2006, 01:48:35 am »
Apparently Ricky's positive test wasn't for pot, but for something else, and that was the basis of his appeal.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: April 27, 2006, 02:34:02 am »

Vince Young on SI....look at the quote. Some wag made the comment: "pity his memory didn't help him in the Wonderlic".

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: April 27, 2006, 02:49:54 am »
Vince Young won't be eluding NFL tacklers the way he did in college. I'm not sold on him but this is a compelling draft on Saturday.