Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2768507 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #51000 on: January 9, 2019, 10:48:30 pm »
from the sounds of it he needs someone with experience to be his DC.

Rob Ryan for shits and giggles.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #51001 on: January 9, 2019, 10:58:31 pm »
Was Williams calling plays when he was HC for those weeks at Browns? If so why didn’t they just keep him.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51002 on: January 9, 2019, 11:03:16 pm »
Was Williams calling plays when he was HC for those weeks at Browns? If so why didn’t they just keep him.
On D yes. Bountygate for one is a reason to not keep him and he coaches a defensive that more based on turnover then efficiencies also not sure he would want a downgrade per say. Let kitchens get his guys in

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51003 on: January 9, 2019, 11:14:12 pm »
with the bears, no one mentioned them going for the 2 pointer, i get it but i said at the time, take the 1

extra points arent a given anymore, if they'd took the one and all things remained the same they'd tied or 'forced' the eagles in going for a 2 pointer themselves

was a bummer, all the teams i wanted to progress came thru apart from the bears, who along with the chargers were the team i was most confident of getting the win cos of their defense (i know pundits were saying ravens had the best stats but having seen almost every game of the regular season, the bears had the best defense imo)
Bears had best Defense per Footballoutsider DVOA. Ravens where 3, no team with a top 5 D DVOA won the playoff last weekend, all top 5 Offense DVOA teams are left in the playoffs KC 1, LAR are 2, LAC 3, NO 4 and NE is 5.

Im sure not going for 2 to up 7 is worth it. you miss on a 50% play they dont never need to make Pat and they go 2 and your chances of winning likely go down.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #51004 on: January 10, 2019, 12:38:11 am »
Nope just 29 degrees [-2 F]

Isn't 29 degrees -2C not F?
#Sausages

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51005 on: January 10, 2019, 01:20:15 am »
Isn't 29 degrees -2C not F?

Yeah, it was a typo on my part

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51006 on: January 10, 2019, 01:22:05 am »

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51007 on: January 10, 2019, 01:44:47 am »
Jets scum.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51008 on: January 10, 2019, 03:00:40 am »
Just move the Jets to St. Louis or London already.

At least the rivalry with the Dolphins will be fun again.

“An Adam Gase miracle as the Jets rally from 21 down to beat the Dolphins to improve to 4-7 on the year.  Both sets of fans give up on their teams to follow the World Checkers Championship instead.”
King Kenny.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #51009 on: January 10, 2019, 06:34:50 am »
How many coaches is that now that have been fired since the 2018 season started only to end up elsewhere in thew NFL?
#Sausages

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51010 on: January 10, 2019, 06:55:48 am »
Just move the Jets to St. Louis or London already.

At least the rivalry with the Dolphins will be fun again.

“An Adam Gase miracle as the Jets rally from 21 down to beat the Dolphins to improve to 4-7 on the year.  Both sets of fans give up on their teams to follow the World Checkers Championship instead.”

Patriots somewhere eating a sandwich watching the AFC East be a dysfunctional shithole

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #51011 on: January 10, 2019, 07:05:16 am »
How many coaches is that now that have been fired since the 2018 season started only to end up elsewhere in thew NFL?

most seem to just end up getting a gig with their freinds.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #51012 on: January 10, 2019, 07:27:55 am »
most seem to just end up getting a gig with their freinds.

Yep, it's like the LMA mafia managerial merry go round, get fired from one job but end up elsewhere.
#Sausages

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #51013 on: January 10, 2019, 08:59:29 am »
with the bears, no one mentioned them going for the 2 pointer, i get it but i said at the time, take the 1

extra points arent a given anymore, if they'd took the one and all things remained the same they'd tied or 'forced' the eagles in going for a 2 pointer themselves

It wouldn't have made any difference. If they don't go for two then the Eagles don't go for two. It would have just finished 17-16 instead of 16-15.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51014 on: January 10, 2019, 09:01:40 am »
So it's looking like Kyler Murray is declaring for the draft after all. Interesting.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #51015 on: January 10, 2019, 09:04:48 am »
So it's looking like Kyler Murray is declaring for the draft after all. Interesting.
Terrible choice in my opinion.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51016 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:57 am »

Makes the draft more interesting though

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51017 on: January 10, 2019, 09:35:22 am »

Makes the draft more interesting though

Definitely makes it more interesting.

What I've read I think the only big negative really is around his height.

Trev - You watch loads of college footy, why do you think its a bad decision? 

If it doesn't work out for him as an NFL rookie could he just go back to Baseball?

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #51018 on: January 10, 2019, 10:28:29 am »
I admire the kid's ambition.

As far as coaches go, teams just need to find blokes called Bill. Obviously grumpy bill in NE is the most successful coach of his generation and something like the past 20 superbowls have been won by the parcells or Walsh coaching trees. The only exception? Bill cowher.

Seems obvious to me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:52:49 am by voodoo ray »

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #51019 on: January 10, 2019, 12:10:08 pm »

Why, first round QB likely make more money than anything but an extreme all-pro baseball player, and get it sooner too. Plus I guess if doesn't work out after his rookie contract he can likely slide over to baseball again.

Think I went through this somewhere here few weeks ago that the $$$ pointed to this decision.

Helps QB needy teams like Miami too....
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51020 on: January 10, 2019, 01:10:49 pm »
Why, first round QB likely make more money than anything but an extreme all-pro baseball player, and get it sooner too. Plus I guess if doesn't work out after his rookie contract he can likely slide over to baseball again.

Think I went through this somewhere here few weeks ago that the $$$ pointed to this decision.

He got a $5m signing on fee at the A's (which I assume would have to give back?)

I think it goes a bit beyond $$$.  The reports i read are that his heart genuinely is in becoming an NFL player.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #51021 on: January 10, 2019, 03:31:14 pm »

From a Raiders perspective I see him as good trading-down bargaining chip...unless Gruden would actually want to draft him, and trade Carr. He wouldn't, would he?  :o ???
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51022 on: January 10, 2019, 03:58:53 pm »
From a Raiders perspective I see him as good trading-down bargaining chip...unless Gruden would actually want to draft him, and trade Carr. He wouldn't, would he?  :o ???

Depends how eager he is trying to make the first Las Vegas season seem like an improvement, at some point they must run out of new ways to tank surely?

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51023 on: January 10, 2019, 04:03:33 pm »

Oakland already got 3 first round selections.  Interesting to see what they do.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #51024 on: January 10, 2019, 04:06:05 pm »
Depends how eager he is trying to make the first Las Vegas season seem like an improvement, at some point they must run out of new ways to tank surely?

The family silver is all gone, unless they trade Carr, Hudson & Osemele.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51025 on: January 10, 2019, 04:26:44 pm »
not long till the colts send andy reid packing again  ;D

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51026 on: January 10, 2019, 04:36:54 pm »

MLB players have it way better than NFL players, it just takes forever to get there.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51027 on: January 10, 2019, 05:07:45 pm »
He got a $5m signing on fee at the A's (which I assume would have to give back?)

I think it goes a bit beyond $$$.  The reports i read are that his heart genuinely is in becoming an NFL player.
Around that. he likely a first round pick that at least 9 mil guaranteed. High bust rate in MLB draft of high picks. Most of the time Baseball money over time is better then Football money expect when your a QB.
First Round Qb lets say he picked where Lamar Jackson did(I think he goes higher) but that 9 mil a little over on rookie deal 5th option is like 20 mil year all guaranteed and if he works out he will get over 60+ mil Guaranteed money. He not likely to make unless he a Mike trout, Harper talent level as a baseball. Also QB can last long in Football.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51028 on: January 10, 2019, 05:09:25 pm »
Oakland already got 3 first round selections.  Interesting to see what they do.

They could probably turn that into 6 first and second round selections if they play it right.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #51029 on: January 10, 2019, 05:12:53 pm »
The problem for gruden is that the teams he traded to both ended up doing well.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51030 on: January 10, 2019, 05:15:45 pm »

problem with gruden - to me at least - is that he seems as dumb as a box of rocks.* his 90s-early 2000s success is long past and I'm not sure at all what he's trying to do with the London Raiders.

either gruden fits here.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51031 on: January 10, 2019, 05:18:24 pm »

Yeah I bet Cody Parkey is on Gruden's Christmas card list :)

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51032 on: January 10, 2019, 05:25:27 pm »

I'm an OU alum and a die-hard college football fan in general. So I've seen every snap that Kyler has played at QB at OU.

You're right in that it goes beyond money. Kyler's first love is football, always has been.

He's a good prospect in baseball. He's already a bonafide star in football. Plus, just read up on his dad, who was both a baseball star and a football star. Went through an incredibly similar experience as Kyler, 30 years ago.

You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51033 on: January 10, 2019, 05:32:17 pm »

It might be. Same as sticking with baseball might be a terrible decision.

The A's absolutely reached in the draft by selecting him as the 9th overall pick. He's a very good baseball player but he is definitely a prospect and nowhere remotely close to being in AA or AAA ball, let alone the MLB. The prospect of playing minor league ball for years, travelling across the country in a bus for months at a time and playing in small stadiums in front of a couple hundred people, for a shot at the MLB may not sound as appealing as the chance to be an NFL QB and get on the field in his rookie season.

It's a risk either way, no doubt, but the kid is an unbelievable warrior and competitor. Not to mention the absurd God-given abilities and athleticism.

I'm certainly somewhat skeptical of how his play will or won't translate to the NFL, but I'm also somewhat skeptical of if he'd ever make an MLB roster.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51034 on: January 10, 2019, 05:34:13 pm »
I'm an OU alum and a die-hard college football fan in general. So I've seen every snap that Kyler has played at QB at OU.

You're right in that it goes beyond money. Kyler's first love is football, always has been.

He's a good prospect in baseball. He's already a bonafide star in football.

I also read that he has no issues seeing above the DL/OL which due to his height was a concern for some people

Its obviously not an issue at OU so I really cant see how this would be different in the NFL either.  Can you?

Personally, I'm hoping he survives the first few Rd 1 picks and SF draft him to challenge Mullens for starting QB.  Although I'm not sure whats happening with Garoppolo after his ACL?  Maybe the 49ers will prioritise one of the highly rated LB stars that are gonna be top draft picks.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #51035 on: January 10, 2019, 05:37:58 pm »
I admire the kid's ambition.

As far as coaches go, teams just need to find blokes called Bill. Obviously grumpy bill in NE is the most successful coach of his generation and something like the past 20 superbowls have been won by the parcells or Walsh coaching trees. The only exception? Bill cowher.

Doug Pederson and John Harbaugh are both from the Andy Reid tree. A quarter of the league this season was. Love Andy Reid. Thinking Andy won't misuse timeouts is a bit like going to a Stones gig and expecting that they won't play Jumping Jack Flash. Gotta play the greatest hits, man. 
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51036 on: January 10, 2019, 05:46:28 pm »
I also read that he has no issues seeing above the DL/OL which due to his height was a concern for some people

Its obviously not an issue at OU so I really cant see how this would be different in the NFL either.  Can you?

Personally, I'm hoping he survives the first few Rd 1 picks and SF draft him to challenge Mullens for starting QB.  Although I'm not sure whats happening with Garoppolo after his ACL?  Maybe the 49ers will prioritise one of the highly rated LB stars that are gonna be top draft picks.

In my opinion, the days of 6 foot QB's being too short for the NFL, should be over. The NFL has changed a lot over the last several years, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Guys like Brees, Wilson and Mayfield have proven that if you're good enough, you're good enough. Regardless of height. And the Big 12, much laughed at for it's inability to play defense for the last decade, has all of a sudden seen a dramatic increase in the interest from the NFL for the offensive coaches in this conference. Probably due to the fact that no other conference can put up points and yards like the teams in the Big 12.

Having said that, Kyler is 5'10 and I believe that is a generous measurement. And he's 195 pounds soaking wet. I could definitely see teams having legitimate concerns about those measurements and his survivability in the NFL going against 6'4 250 pound linebackers who are as quick as safeties at the college level.

And you're right, his ability to see over the OL at OU was not a problem at all. The height of OU's 5 starters this season was 6'5, 6'4, 6'5, 6'5 and 6'4. And due to our OL's dominance this year (won the award for best OL in the country), Murray passed from the pocket on the majority of our pass plays this season. Murray had a decent amount of balls batted down at the LOS by opposing DL's, but it was nothing remotely concerning.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51037 on: January 10, 2019, 06:12:47 pm »
Long story short on Kyler, I'm torn on his boom/bust odds NFL. I warned y'all months ago about Baker and how he was going to tear the NFL up.   :) Never been more sure about a QB.

I'm a bit less sure on Kyler. He has a great head on his shoulders, is smart as hell, comes from a great lineage and was coached his entire life to be a great passer of the ball, has unbelievable speed, cannon of an arm, and the "it" factor. That alone makes him an incredibly intriguing and possibly franchise-changing draft choice.

Gun to my head, I think he's going to make a good to great NFL QB, but will take a lot more time adapting to the league than someone like Baker. He will inevitably be compared to Baker since he followed him at OU and won the Heisman, a year after Baker. I think Baker's experience at the college level compared to Kyler's inexperience (Baker had nearly 1500 pass attempts in college in 48 games compared to Kyler's 519 pass attempts in 29 games) helped him a lot and will hold Kyler back at first.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #51038 on: January 10, 2019, 06:32:28 pm »
Doug Pederson and John Harbaugh are both from the Andy Reid tree. A quarter of the league this season was. Love Andy Reid. Thinking Andy won't misuse timeouts is a bit like going to a Stones gig and expecting that they won't play Jumping Jack Flash. Gotta play the greatest hits, man. 

I think they count Reid as part of the Walsh tree through Holmgren.

These things can get pretty tenuous eventually.

oh dear this isn't good.

https://twitter.com/LucasOilStadium/status/1083395988507820032
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:35:21 pm by voodoo ray »

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51039 on: January 10, 2019, 07:07:02 pm »

Garoppolo probably the starter, He tore his ACl earlier in the season would guess he ready but training camp/Preseason.  Also unlikely to cut bait with him this year. Im guessing 49ers take Josh Allen from Kentucky unless somehow Bosa falls, they need Edge Rushers more then anything.

Here is Jimmy Garoppolo Contract details, would be a lot to cut or trade him this year, after this year it nothing https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jimmy-garoppolo-14472/#