Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 2852669 times)

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #61920 on: December 29, 2019, 10:33:08 AM »
Wilder against Ortiz is KO of the year lads? Or is it Canelo against Kovalev?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #61921 on: December 29, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »
I think hiring that guy in the first place was a crazy move. He just wanted a yes man who would let hin do what he wanted. Sacking him for someone who can plot their way through 12 rounds for him makes sense.

I'd rather he was back with his uncle though.

That ship has long  since sailed unfortunately

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61922 on: December 29, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »

For drama probably but for brutality I prefer his one v Brezeale and Chisora v Spitza

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61923 on: December 29, 2019, 10:52:14 AM »
Yeah forgot about the Brezeale one.  :D But I think the Ortiz one takes it for me. He lost all 6 rounds in the fight against a dangerous fighter and he got it done. Yes he fought a pensioner but that pensioner is skillful compared to some of the rest.  ;D :D

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61924 on: December 29, 2019, 11:01:51 AM »
Yeah forgot about the Brezeale one.  :D But I think the Ortiz one takes it for me. He lost all 6 rounds in the fight against a dangerous fighter and he got it done. Yes he fought a pensioner but that pensioner is skillful compared to some of the rest.  ;D :D

I hear that, I was seeing him get schooled and was moaning at the screen, why take this fight etc etc and then bam. Guy was on floor

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61925 on: December 29, 2019, 11:30:54 AM »

It might be KO of the decade to be honest.  He landed one punch all night and it sent Grandpa into outer space.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #61926 on: December 29, 2019, 11:53:49 AM »
Just read that Badou Jack lost to Jean Pascal last night on a split decision, anyone here seen the fight?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61927 on: December 29, 2019, 11:57:33 AM »
No mate but did read comments, Pascal was dropped too I beelive. Must've been a shitter than usual Badou Jack.  :D

Offline King.Keita

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it."
  • Believer
« Reply #61928 on: December 29, 2019, 12:06:02 PM »
Didn't see the fight but apparently it was another shit job from the judges and even Mayweather kept saying "what the fuck?" at ringside.

Gervonta Davis was also in action last night, KO'ed Yuriorkis Gamboa.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Believer
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #61929 on: December 29, 2019, 03:39:27 PM »
I know. I mean he himself is older than when they first fought, i know that is being Captain Obvious but Fury's style with the excessive use of feet is not one that ages well. Yo could rightly argue its only 15 months but considering the abuse he has put his body through with the PEDs and the excessive weight loss, those 15 months will be more significant to  him then they would be for Wilder IMO.

Sacking his trainer also not too much of a good look either

He's brought in Andy Lee and they are going back to a gym they both trained at(will it be the kronk?), and it sounds like they want him to go for the KO. Think it really adds intrigue to the fight.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61930 on: December 29, 2019, 10:49:36 PM »
He's brought in Andy Lee and they are going back to a gym they both trained at(will it be the kronk?), and it sounds like they want him to go for the KO. Think it really adds intrigue to the fight.

Not sure Andy Lee is exactly the style I'd want to emulate if I was going to fight Wilder ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61931 on: December 30, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »
Warren has lost the plot today. Saying that AJ should give up all his belts (so no mandatory fight or warm up fight) and wait for the winner of Fury vs Wilder 2, even though last week he said they've already done a deal for Wilder vs Fury 3 for the end of 2020.  :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61932 on: December 31, 2019, 11:25:58 AM »
Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year is Canelo Alvarez

and

Fighter of the Decade hasn't been announced yet but pretty much everyone is saying it will be Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61933 on: December 31, 2019, 11:40:12 AM »

and

Fighter of the Decade hasn't been announced yet but pretty much everyone is saying it will be Floyd Mayweather Jr.

No one really stands out this year, so GBP were always going to give it to their cash cow.  Maybe Naoya Inoue, but a Japanese bantamweight is never going to win it.

Hard to argue against Floyd for the decade either, even though he was semi retired for half of it.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61934 on: December 31, 2019, 11:43:02 AM »
Yeah mate got to give the rewards to the fatties.  :D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61935 on: December 31, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »
Some good candidates for 'fattest bastard of the decade' now I think of it.  My man James Toney had 7 fights, there's obviously Andy Ruiz this year, and there was that business with Tyson fury sending his Mrs out for a multipack of kitkats.

I give it to Chavez Jr though.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61936 on: December 31, 2019, 11:51:24 AM »
Aye good ones.  ;D

Who was the fatty who came in over 2 stones over the limit for a Lightweight contest?  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61937 on: December 31, 2019, 11:58:29 AM »
Oh man I must have missed that ;D

Shawn Porter had to shave his head to make weight earlier in the year which was good.  Paul Smith missed weight by a fair amount as well from memory.  Can't remember anyone beating 2 stone though ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61938 on: January 3, 2020, 05:43:57 PM »
The official poster for Fury vs Wilder 2. You can tell its the Christmas period as this is the most basic Wordart level poster. They got a fuckin' apprentice to do this shit.  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61939 on: January 3, 2020, 05:59:05 PM »
At least they've not used comic sans ;D

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61940 on: January 3, 2020, 06:36:27 PM »
Some good candidates for 'fattest bastard of the decade' now I think of it.  My man James Toney had 7 fights, there's obviously Andy Ruiz this year, and there was that business with Tyson fury sending his Mrs out for a multipack of kitkats.

I give it to Chavez Jr though.

Has to be Andy Ruiz jnr. Champion, chance for history and unbelievable paydays, already beat the guy badly first time around, and you come in in that shape.

Offline King.Keita

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it."
  • Believer
« Reply #61941 on: January 3, 2020, 07:39:17 PM »
Has to be Andy Ruiz jnr. Champion, chance for history and unbelievable paydays, already beat the guy badly first time around, and you come in in that shape.
And the fat c*nt had the cheek to ask for a third rematch, in Saudi no less! Hope his career goes down the drain, doesn't deserve the big fights.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61942 on: January 3, 2020, 08:32:43 PM »

And fellas on here saying it was all mind games and he had weights in his pockets ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61943 on: January 3, 2020, 08:43:21 PM »
He had a  2 bacon butty's in each pocket more like.  ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61944 on: January 6, 2020, 08:18:49 PM »
Crawford and Errol Spence going at on twitter today, basically calling each other out.  ;D I hope Crawford knows that Spence isn't going to come back properly till next year probably.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61945 on: January 6, 2020, 08:47:30 PM »
Crawford and Errol Spence going at on twitter today, basically calling each other out.  ;D I hope Crawford knows that Spence isn't going to come back properly till next year probably.

Not convinced it would have happened anyway. Welterweight should have been great for the last couple of years.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61946 on: January 6, 2020, 09:06:41 PM »
It won't mate, boxing politics as usual. I also think Welterweight for Crawford might be a step too far. He could compete there but look just as good as before? Not sure.

Online dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #61947 on: January 6, 2020, 09:20:30 PM »
It won't mate, boxing politics as usual. I also think Welterweight for Crawford might be a step too far. He could compete there but look just as good as before? Not sure.
He's been WBO welterweight champion for a few years already.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61948 on: January 6, 2020, 09:30:39 PM »
He has but fighting naturally bigger men. Remember he's moving up weights to 147 lbs. The others like Spence are just naturally more bigger at the weight.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #61949 on: January 7, 2020, 08:36:59 AM »

and

Pacman has a better shout for FOTD but I don't think he should get it either. I get that Mayweather defeated him, but Pac did more in the noughties. Also, Mayweather should be removed from consideration for fighting Conor fucking McGregor and counting it as a professional win.  :wanker

Would Loma have a shout all things considered?

Online dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #61950 on: January 7, 2020, 08:56:55 AM »
Pacman has a better shout for FOTD but I don't think he should get it either. I get that Mayweather defeated him, but Pac did more in the noughties. Also, Mayweather should be removed from consideration for fighting Conor fucking McGregor and counting it as a professional win.  :wanker

It has to be Mayweather, nobody else's record comes close

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61951 on: January 7, 2020, 09:30:29 AM »

Loma came onto the scene a bit too late mate but he did just plow through everyone.  he also started at Featherweight mate. Had he started at Lightweight, which he's currently at and gone upwards in weight and did what he's done, then maybe he'd have a bigger shout. But as we all know who gives a fuck about weights below Lightweight in boxing?.  ;D

The names Floyds defeated and yes we can all say he didn't really fight those at their peaks ( ;D) but they were never going to give it to Pacman.

Offline Lee-87

• Believer
« Reply #61952 on: January 7, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »
We're talking decade here. Discounting the shadow of Shane Mosley at the start of the decade. I can only give Mayweather major credit for 3 victories. Vs Cotto, Vs Canelo, Vs Pacquiao. 3 great wins no doubt, but i can't bring myself to give the fighter of the decade to someone based on 3 wins in the first half of that decade.

I see that as Mayweather fighting three 50/50-ish fights out of 10. I would argue that say, Josh Warrington for example, won in a similar fashion in 3 straight wins against Selby, Frampton & Galahad. Obviously Warrington isn't getting fighter of the decade but that was just an example of impressive wins the last decade. Usyk, in a similar way fought the very best Cruiser had to offer and overcome them all before moving up to heavy. Andre Ward is up there for me too, wins against Froch, Barrera, Kovalev x2 etc.

Point is, if you give it to Mayweather you're likely giving it based on those 3 wins, i think there are fighters the past decade who have had equally impressive wins giving their odds and chances going in to the fights, with the exception that some carried on after the halfway point and are still doing it to this day.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61953 on: January 7, 2020, 12:19:30 PM »
Anything popping up this month fight wise

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61954 on: January 7, 2020, 12:24:22 PM »
Other than Danny Garcia and Demetrius Andrade fighting towards the end of the month mate nothing else really.  :wave And even then not sure you want to stay up for those two.  ;D

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61955 on: January 7, 2020, 01:59:04 PM »
Other than Danny Garcia and Demetrius Andrade fighting towards the end of the month mate nothing else really.  :wave And even then not sure you want to stay up for those two.  ;D

Literally couldn't pay me to watch Andrade.

Offline gwalk

• Believer
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #61956 on: January 7, 2020, 02:07:23 PM »
Literally couldn't pay me to watch Andrade.

I'd watch it in the hope that he gets beat, dont think he will mind.

i like Luke Keeler he lives round the corner from my mam's

but i wont be staying up to silly o'clock to watch it haha will be a youtube job the monring after
« Last Edit: January 7, 2020, 02:12:29 PM by gwalk »

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #61957 on: January 7, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »
We're talking decade here. Discounting the shadow of Shane Mosley at the start of the decade. I can only give Mayweather major credit for 3 victories. Vs Cotto, Vs Canelo, Vs Pacquiao. 3 great wins no doubt, but i can't bring myself to give the fighter of the decade to someone based on 3 wins in the first half of that decade.

I see that as Mayweather fighting three 50/50-ish fights out of 10. I would argue that say, Josh Warrington for example, won in a similar fashion in 3 straight wins against Selby, Frampton & Galahad. Obviously Warrington isn't getting fighter of the decade but that was just an example of impressive wins the last decade. Usyk, in a similar way fought the very best Cruiser had to offer and overcome them all before moving up to heavy. Andre Ward is up there for me too, wins against Froch, Barrera, Kovalev x2 etc.

Point is, if you give it to Mayweather you're likely giving it based on those 3 wins, i think there are fighters the past decade who have had equally impressive wins giving their odds and chances going in to the fights, with the exception that some carried on after the halfway point and are still doing it to this day.
Yep, utter bollocks to give him fighter of the 2010s; I guess wins over stellar opponents such as McGregor and Berto sealed it eh?  ::) Looking back, Loma's record is much more impressive in this decade. Fuck it, let's give it to Fury for beating Wlad and drawing with Wilder while we are at it.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61958 on: January 7, 2020, 03:44:48 PM »
If anything I'd give it to Andre Ward. Undoubtedly the best Super Middleweight of his era and at that weight match for anyone P4P in history and then goes up to Light Heavy and beats Ivan Drago wannabe himself twice. And at that point Kovalev was probably the most feared boxer on the planet.  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #61959 on: January 7, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »
If anything I'd give it to Andre Ward. Undoubtedly the best Super Middleweight of his era and at that weight match for anyone P4P in history and then goes up to Light Heavy and beats Ivan Drago wannabe himself twice. And at that point Kovalev was probably the most feared boxer on the planet.  ;D

It should have been Andre Ward.  Hit his prime at just the right time for this decade, could have built an all time great CV.  But then he spent most of it in the courtroom instead of the ring.

Gets bonus points for punching Kovalev in the bollocks until he cried though.