Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 2492024 times)

Offline King.Keita

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it."
  • Believer
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #59560 on: January 28, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »
Should've retired in front of 80k at Wembley.
Heard he got knocked out by some guy named Carl, not 100% sure though

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59561 on: January 28, 2019, 08:46:56 PM »
Heard he got knocked out by some guy named Carl, not 100% sure though
and Carl has just been owned again by Andre Ward

https://twitter.com/andreward/status/1089975008183562240?s=21

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59562 on: January 28, 2019, 09:09:54 PM »
Groves really got into Froch's head for some reason. He knocked him out twice (kind of) so never really got why he couldn't move on.

Offline King.Keita

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it."
  • Believer
« Reply #59563 on: January 28, 2019, 09:31:17 PM »
He hates Khan as well and has arrogance to spare, a massive bellend he is. Never liked him and I loved it when Ward gave him a boxing lesson.

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #59564 on: January 29, 2019, 01:02:41 PM »
George Groves is a strange one.  I loved him coming through, was pulling for him big style v DeGale, but was a big fan of Froch too around the time they met and lost a bit of respect for Groves because he was very disrespectful of Froch's achievements - it seemed to be after that that Froch became a bit arrogant and almost overplaying himself.  Groves whining about the stoppage in the first fight didn't sit well with me either.  Grew to like him again thereafter and was glad he won a world title in the end, but again the glad when Callum Smith took it from him.

Think Froch gets most of the hate from their meeting but Groves was as bad.
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #59565 on: January 29, 2019, 02:24:22 PM »
George Groves is a strange one.  I loved him coming through, was pulling for him big style v DeGale, but was a big fan of Froch too around the time they met and lost a bit of respect for Groves because he was very disrespectful of Froch's achievements - it seemed to be after that that Froch became a bit arrogant and almost overplaying himself.  Groves whining about the stoppage in the first fight didn't sit well with me either.  Grew to like him again thereafter and was glad he won a world title in the end, but again the glad when Callum Smith took it from him.

Think Froch gets most of the hate from their meeting but Groves was as bad.

That pretty much mirrors my thoughts on George Groves.

I suspect Sky told Carl Froch to turn it in yesterday. I quite enjoyed the spat with Andre Ward.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #59566 on: January 29, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »
Froch's comments said it all. 'You were boring, nah nah nah nah' basically. He beat him comfortably in reality and he took his soul because for the rest of his career he didn't want that heat

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59567 on: January 29, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »
That pretty much mirrors my thoughts on George Groves.

I suspect Sky told Carl Froch to turn it in yesterday. I quite enjoyed the spat with Andre Ward.
i do like how it grates Froch that regardless of the wembley fight he knows deep down that ward schooled him and he has no comeback

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59568 on: February 1, 2019, 11:28:50 PM »
Apparently AJ has agreed terms to fight Miller at Madison Square Garden on 1 or 8 June.

Online 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #59569 on: February 2, 2019, 08:12:15 AM »
Apparently AJ has agreed terms to fight Miller at Madison Square Garden on 1 or 8 June.

Are they spewing the Wembley date then?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59570 on: February 2, 2019, 08:55:05 AM »
It seems so. Dillyan is an idiot for swerving 5m. 11 week camp is plenty notice. Near enough 3 months. He isn't exceptinally good and his luck will run out soon enough (should have a chisora loss) so he might come to regret that.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59571 on: February 2, 2019, 12:52:26 PM »

Probably the best realistic option. Feels like AJ is treading water for 2019 though.

Offline King.Keita

• Believer
« Reply #59572 on: February 2, 2019, 05:30:17 PM »
Dillian might still get a chance to face him, but doubt the public wants to see that. I wouldn't mind, would be a good scrap once again and we get to see Whyte kissing the canvas.

AJ v Miller makes sense, no better fight for his introduction to the US. A bozo with a mouth bigger than the Grand Canyon, a bit of verbal jousting and some pulling and pushing at the weigh ins should bring the American public in like flies to shit.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #59573 on: February 2, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »
Probably the best realistic option. Feels like AJ is treading water for 2019 though.
A fight with Miller should give him a bit of a name in the US since it will be promoted like hell. Miller is the perfect foil with his big mouth and brash personality and you know how casuals (on both sides of the water) lap up that nonsense. Miller throws a fair few punches for such a big guy but Joshua will smash him up and probably look very good in the process.

Hype + aggro in the build up + decent to exciting fight + brutal KO for AJ = Kerching!!!

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59574 on: February 2, 2019, 07:12:29 PM »
I think Joshua has seen how popular Fury is in the States and that reaction he got at the Whyte-Chisora fight. Originally it looked like a good plan to get the 13 April date booked at Wembley but other fighters are playing hardball in the negotiations and his team have used the option to raise AJ's profile in the US. The more time that elapses, the more difficult it will be for Joshua to keep all 3 governing bodies happy though.

One thing I will say is regardless of how much Joshua was paid to fight Charles Martin, the latter was a paper champion and was bought over to sell his title. Neither Fury, Whyte or Wilder's chances are similar if they fight AJ, so I don't see why Eddie Hearn keeps using that analogy.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59575 on: February 2, 2019, 11:33:40 PM »
I think Joshua has seen how popular Fury is in the States and that reaction he got at the Whyte-Chisora fight. Originally it looked like a good plan to get the 13 April date booked at Wembley but other fighters are playing hardball in the negotiations and his team have used the option to raise AJ's profile in the US. The more time that elapses, the more difficult it will be for Joshua to keep all 3 governing bodies happy though.

One thing I will say is regardless of how much Joshua was paid to fight Charles Martin, the latter was a paper champion and was bought over to sell his title. Neither Fury, Whyte or Wilder's chances are similar if they fight AJ, so I don't see why Eddie Hearn keeps using that analogy.
It was the most dismal 'defence' by a HW champion that I can remember since Seldon decided he didnt want to get battered by a past prime Tyson.

Kovalev vs Alvarez rematch tonight. It could be the end for the 'Krusher' if he gets taken out again. History tells us it is likely.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59576 on: February 2, 2019, 11:40:02 PM »
I think Alvarez will have too much for Kovalev tonight. Good scrap between Cheeseman and Garcia earlier, I think Garcia will go on to be a World Champion and you certainly can't question the heart of Cheeseman.

Offline King.Keita

• Believer
« Reply #59577 on: February 3, 2019, 07:46:49 AM »
Good performance by Kovalev, totally shut out Alvarez.

Don't think anyone posted about it but Keith Thurman won last week, if anyone even cares  :P Thurman v Spence is the fight to make

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59578 on: February 3, 2019, 10:41:57 AM »
Good performance by Kovalev, totally shut out Alvarez.

Don't think anyone posted about it but Keith Thurman won last week, if anyone even cares  :P Thurman v Spence is the fight to make
Krusher deserves a lot of credit. It's not all that often that a fighter who gets KO'd in a fight beats their opponent in a direct rematch; especially when in their mid-thirties.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59579 on: February 3, 2019, 01:02:02 PM »
Just watched the Alvarez-Kovalev fight. Huge credit to Kovalev, he shut Alvarez that well he only really let his hands go during the last 1/4 of the fight.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59580 on: February 3, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »
Krusher deserves a lot of credit. It's not all that often that a fighter who gets KO'd in a fight beats their opponent in a direct rematch; especially when in their mid-thirties.

I think there were plenty of external factors in what happened to Kovalev last time.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59581 on: February 3, 2019, 05:16:20 PM »
I think there were plenty of external factors in what happened to Kovalev last time.
True but he put it all behind him and performed like a champ so kudos to him; even though he is a massive gobshite.

Offline Samie

• Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59582 on: February 6, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
Lad's six of us are planning to do Vegas this year if Fury v Wilder 2 is there if not plan is to do Joshua v Miller in NYC. Never been to a Vegas fight so prefer that one.   Also if there's fighting in the crowd don't be surprised if it's on of my mates. Taking two big bruisers with me. ;D

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. He's creepy and he's kooky, mysterious and spooky, he's altogether ooky, he's Adam's fa-mi-ly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59583 on: February 6, 2019, 06:04:59 PM »
Lad's six of us are planning to do Vegas this year if Fury v Wilder 2 is there if not plan is to do Joshua v Miller in NYC. Never been to a Vegas fight so prefer that one.   Also if there's fighting in the crowd don't be surprised if it's on of my mates. Taking two big bruisers with me. ;D

Is this an open invitation for us( me) to join you

Vegas is quality!!

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59584 on: February 6, 2019, 11:47:23 PM »
Admit it, Purple Aki is one of 'em  :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59585 on: February 6, 2019, 11:52:47 PM »

Nice one mate, nothing like Vegas on a big fight weekend, I was there for Floyd v Berto (yeah, I know) and the buzz around the place is something else.

I'll be there again in September this year so hope something is happening.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Kopite
« Reply #59586 on: February 10, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
Anyone else think its weird whats happening with Callum Smith. I thought he would really kick on once he won the Super Series and the world title but he still is barely mentioned by Hearn in any interview and haven't seen any rumours for his next fight.

He seems to be overlooked by everyone in the boxing community. Sky are talking about the change of the guard and who the next star will be and he wasn't mentioned once. He should be matchroom's biggest star after AJ.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59587 on: February 10, 2019, 03:13:27 PM »
Anyone else think its weird whats happening with Callum Smith. I thought he would really kick on once he won the Super Series and the world title but he still is barely mentioned by Hearn in any interview and haven't seen any rumours for his next fight.

He seems to be overlooked by everyone in the boxing community. Sky are talking about the change of the guard and who the next star will be and he wasn't mentioned once. He should be matchroom's biggest star after AJ.

Callum Smith has just had a kid hence the inactivity. Last I heard Eddie Hearn mention him and Usyk would be doing a double bill in the US later this year.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59588 on: February 10, 2019, 06:03:14 PM »

Doesn't sell tickets so that wont happen

Biggest star after AJ is Whyte

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59589 on: February 10, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »

I think Callum is CEO of the 'who needs him?' club now.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59590 on: February 10, 2019, 06:57:57 PM »
They should throw money at Caleb Plant and collect his belt

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59591 on: February 10, 2019, 09:23:25 PM »
I think Callum is CEO of the 'who needs him?' club now.

Has been for some time now. Think he might have to go up to 175 before anyone touches him. JDG near enough took out a restraining order out.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59592 on: February 10, 2019, 09:36:35 PM »
Has been for some time now. Think he might have to go up to 175 before anyone touches him. JDG near enough took out a restraining order out.
Would have liked to see how good Gilberto Ramirez is but I think he is going up to 175.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Kopite
« Reply #59593 on: February 11, 2019, 05:51:30 AM »

I agree. I don't know why though. He has a great style, looks the part and just beat one of the biggest names in British boxing. Shame for him that it was on ITV and in Saudi Arabia.

I think to build his name he should fight the winner of DeGale and Eubank. When he knocks them out he will get the name he needs.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59594 on: February 11, 2019, 10:10:08 AM »
That's the logical next fight. They probabaly don't take it though

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59595 on: February 11, 2019, 10:31:17 AM »
That's the logical next fight. They probabaly don't take it though

I don't know about that. JDG might finally take it as a cash out, and Eubank is stupid enough to think he'd win.

I think Hearn can turn Callum into a star. He was treading water for ages but now he has a belt to trade off so that should help get him up and running again.

Offline Samie

• Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59596 on: February 11, 2019, 02:19:00 PM »
Is this an open invitation for us( me) to join you

Vegas is quality!!

You take 2 seats on a plane mate, no chance.  ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59597 on: February 11, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »
Admit it, Purple Aki is one of 'em  :lmao :lmao :lmao

MAybe.  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #59598 on: February 12, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
You take 2 seats on a plane mate, no chance.  ;D

Here's the Maltese champion on his way to Vegas to defend his belt...

Offline Barneylfc

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Now Shevchenko cant sleep cos Carra's in town.
« Reply #59599 on: February 12, 2019, 06:30:24 PM »
Whyte v Breazeale on the orders of the WBC
Premier League Predictions 19/20 sign up thread -

LFC Predictions 19/20 -