Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 2868031 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #58840 on: November 30, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »
Nah, that's a load of drivel, sorry. I'm not high on Wilder and of course we don't do the damage Fury has done to his body after all the abuse but a piece of shit fight it certainly isn't.

The no winners line is even stranger, bizarre comment.

Apart from Wilder AJ or Fury AJ it's the biggest fight that can be made in the division at the moment?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Believer
« Reply #58841 on: November 30, 2018, 01:40:23 PM »
I dont even know what the undercard to this even is. Anything worth staying up for?

Adonis Stevenson (c) vs. Oleksandr Gvozdyk (light heavy title)
Joe Joyce vs. Joe Hanks
Luis Ortiz vs. Travis Kauffman
Jarrett Hurd vs. Jason Wellborn
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Garry_LFC

• Believer
« Reply #58842 on: November 30, 2018, 01:41:47 PM »
Apart from Wilder AJ or Fury AJ it's the biggest fight that can be made in the division at the moment?

Itís up there, top 5/10. Think Joshua-Whyte does a lot more buys and sells out.

Any idea what time we can expect the weigh in?

Offline gjr1

• Believer
« Reply #58843 on: November 30, 2018, 01:59:23 PM »
Has a draw written all over this. 25/1 last I looked
We have to be like Rocky

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58844 on: November 30, 2018, 02:01:03 PM »
Itís up there, top 5/10. Think Joshua-Whyte does a lot more buys and sells out.

Any idea what time we can expect the weigh in?

Would agree with Joshua-Whyte doing more buys and selling out, I'm actually a fan of Whyte but I still think AJ and the other two are at the top of the pile for now.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58845 on: November 30, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »
A guy who no one outside of boxing knows who has managed to luck into a world championship who has never really been tested at the highest level and has been ducking AJ for years so he can hold onto his belt. Promoted by idiots that have no idea how to do deals.

vs a guy that has had 3 years out following a drugs ban and has only fought 2 bums in his comeback and is represented by Frank Warren

All on PPV at 5am at a non-sold out arena

It's a piece of shit fight where there are no winners (except Eddie Hearn and AJ who can enjoy Christmas and wait on the outcome of this and the Chisora/Whyte fight). From a boxing purist perspective there is nothing to this and to a boxing fair weather fan there is nothing.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58846 on: November 30, 2018, 02:08:19 PM »
This is an amazing fight between two undefeated fighters, champion v former champion, power v skill. Will be the first PPV in ages that I have bought as I cant be dealing with choppy streams for this one. I could care less how many tickets they've sold. Am I getting dividends?

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Believer
  • #JFT96
« Reply #58847 on: November 30, 2018, 02:49:15 PM »
Crolla to take on Lomachenko  :lmao

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58848 on: November 30, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »
I think this will be a good fight and I'd be all over it usually, but 5am + £20ppv is a pisstake. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to try and wake up for it. I love Fury, which seems to be a rare opinion on here, think he's great entertainment  :D
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58849 on: November 30, 2018, 02:51:25 PM »

It will be horrific for as long as it lasts. Crolla doesnt even have a punchers chance

Offline WhoHe

• Believer
« Reply #58850 on: November 30, 2018, 02:57:29 PM »
Fury is boring as fuck to watch and the other fella is a somewhat unknown to me but at least looks like he tries to actually hit his opponent as opposed to leaning on him and the occasional half arse punch, not a chance I'll be staying up for this. I think this fight shows how shit the HW division is and has been since Klitschkos dominated and pretty much bored us to death. Some people must have more money than sense to actually stay up for this and secondly spend actual money on it, nowt strange as folk.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Believer
  • #JFT96
« Reply #58851 on: November 30, 2018, 03:14:40 PM »
It will be horrific for as long as it lasts. Crolla doesnt even have a punchers chance

Yep he has no business being in there, going to get torn apart.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58852 on: November 30, 2018, 03:27:02 PM »
Loma still has Pedraza to get past, but if he does, hope Crolla gets paid at least his nickname cos he would have earned it

Offline RedForeverTT

• Believer
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #58853 on: November 30, 2018, 07:05:51 PM »
Fury is boring as fuck to watch and the other fella is a somewhat unknown to me but at least looks like he tries to actually hit his opponent as opposed to leaning on him and the occasional half arse punch, not a chance I'll be staying up for this. I think this fight shows how shit the HW division is and has been since Klitschkos dominated and pretty much bored us to death. Some people must have more money than sense to actually stay up for this and secondly spend actual money on it, nowt strange as folk.

Yes. Can't hold a candle to previous fighters - Ali, Holyfield, Lewis and Tyson. They must be thinking what a sad state of affairs in heavy weight titles.

That said, I will still be going to a pub to watch it rather than pay 20 quid to watch it from home.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58854 on: November 30, 2018, 07:06:19 PM »
This is an amazing fight between two undefeated fighters, champion v former champion, power v skill. Will be the first PPV in ages that I have bought as I cant be dealing with choppy streams for this one. I could care less how many tickets they've sold. Am I getting dividends?

It's definitely a 'big' fight, but can't see it being a good fight. There will be loads in here moaning and saying the division is shit etc. on Sunday morning. I've got to travel up for the derby so not sure if/when I'll get to watch.

Dear God. He's got about as much chance as I would have.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58855 on: November 30, 2018, 07:09:48 PM »
There will be loads in here moaning and saying the division is shit etc. on Sunday morning.

Yes. Can't hold a candle to previous fighters - Ali, Holyfield, Lewis and Tyson. They must be thinking what a sad state of affairs in heavy weight titles.

That said, I will still be going to a pub to watch it rather than pay 20 quid to watch it from home.

Beat me to it! Someone name checking Ali, Lewis and Tyson already, must be big fight weekend ;D

Offline King.Keita

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it."
  • Believer
« Reply #58856 on: November 30, 2018, 07:23:34 PM »
How is this a piece of shit fight? The number 2 and number 3 heavyweights facing off against each other. By no means will it be a classic but I'll bet my house it'll be 10 times more interesting than AJ v Parker/Takam.

And why is 5am such a huge surprise to so many of you? All American fights start at that time, unless it's NYC when it's around 3am.

Offline WhoHe

• Believer
« Reply #58857 on: November 30, 2018, 07:34:05 PM »
Yes its 2 against 3 but the state of them two, they would never get in the top ten not so many years ago.
I think you will find that nobody in here is moaning/surprised about the time, its more is it worth the bother (and money), assume most think not.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58858 on: November 30, 2018, 08:05:31 PM »
Yes its 2 against 3 but the state of them two, they would never get in the top ten not so many years ago.
I think you will find that nobody in here is moaning/surprised about the time, its more is it worth the bother (and money), assume most think not.

They would be in the top 10 in pretty much any era apart from the 70s. Unless you're getting all misty eyed about the glory days of Samuel Peter, Shannon Briggs, Alex Lepai, and of course big Audley? 

Offline RedForeverTT

• Believer
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #58859 on: November 30, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
They would be in the top 10 in pretty much any era apart from the 70s. Unless you're getting all misty eyed about the glory days of Samuel Peter, Shannon Briggs, Alex Lepai, and of course big Audley?

You sure they could get into the top 10 in the 80s? Holyfield was ranked 10th!

Offline WhoHe

• Believer
« Reply #58860 on: November 30, 2018, 09:21:54 PM »
Just an occasional contributor here so will bow to your superior knowledge, but the 90s were pretty good as far as I can remember, I also thought the 80s was good (wasn't giving boxing/much else my attention for much of that decade).

In years to come if the HW divison ever recovers to previous vintages then we will not look kindly on any of these cos lets face it they are pretty average in a very poor division (AJ may be a bright star).

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58861 on: November 30, 2018, 09:37:43 PM »
Wilder: 212lbs
Fury: 256lbs

3 stone difference

That's way too light for Wilder. Will need to keep this long as he will get mauled on the inside

Online lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #58862 on: November 30, 2018, 10:44:01 PM »
I think a lot of you underrate Wilder, while overrating Fury.

Offline Mister men

• Believer
« Reply #58863 on: November 30, 2018, 10:47:46 PM »
A guy who no one outside of boxing knows who has managed to luck into a world championship who has never really been tested at the highest level and has been ducking AJ for years so he can hold onto his belt. Promoted by idiots that have no idea how to do deals.

vs a guy that has had 3 years out following a drugs ban and has only fought 2 bums in his comeback and is represented by Frank Warren

All on PPV at 5am at a non-sold out arena

It's a piece of shit fight where there are no winners (except Eddie Hearn and AJ who can enjoy Christmas and wait on the outcome of this and the Chisora/Whyte fight). From a boxing purist perspective there is nothing to this and to a boxing fair weather fan there is nothing.

:lmao

Offline Mister men

• Believer
« Reply #58864 on: November 30, 2018, 10:49:25 PM »
Massive weight difference to be honest. Really surprised at Wilder's camp letting him go in like that. Unless he's going on the Luke Shaw diet for the next 24hrs he's fucked.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58865 on: November 30, 2018, 10:57:47 PM »
Wilder: 212lbs
Fury: 256lbs

3 stone difference

That's way too light for Wilder. Will need to keep this long as he will get mauled on the inside

Fury not miles off where he needs to be. 9lb off Dusseldorf shape. Jab and grab coming up.

Just an occasional contributor here so will bow to your superior knowledge, but the 90s were pretty good as far as I can remember, I also thought the 80s was good (wasn't giving boxing/much else my attention for much of that decade).

In years to come if the HW divison ever recovers to previous vintages then we will not look kindly on any of these cos lets face it they are pretty average in a very poor division (AJ may be a bright star).

No ine is going to argue the division is stronger now than it was in the 90s. But if you said top 10, and by the time you get that far down the rankings in pretty much any era then you're getting into the journeymen. And that's a good era, 10 years ago you had the likes of John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman, Nicolai Valuev and Samuel Peter walking round with belts. Fury or Wilder would be undisputed champs against some of those puddings.

Offline King.Keita

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it."
  • Believer
« Reply #58866 on: November 30, 2018, 10:58:00 PM »
Wilder's never really been massive, he's just a really lanky dude with a huge reach. His camp probably kept him light because they want him focusing on his movement, Fury is an awkward customer for anyone.

Also if the winner of this fight doesn't face Anthony Joshua then the whole thing is a farce. They're trying to do the whole Mayweather/Pacquiao thing and trying to build up interest but there is already a huge demand for it. I mean after Whyte and Usyk, who does AJ face? The division is paper thin.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:01:32 PM by King.Keita »

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Kopite
« Reply #58867 on: December 1, 2018, 02:46:46 AM »
Yes its 2 against 3

How is this a piece of shit fight? The number 2 and number 3 heavyweights facing off against each other.

I see where you are coming from, but I think the winner on saturday walks away with the best CV in the division

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #58868 on: December 1, 2018, 06:07:41 AM »
I see where you are coming from, but I think the winner on saturday walks away with the best CV in the division

Not for me. AJ has a much better resume despite fighting for a shorter period regardless of the result

Itís AJ, Fury then Wilder in terms of top opponents

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58869 on: December 1, 2018, 07:26:08 AM »
The winner needs to accept 60/40 from Hearn and Hearn needs to offer it.

I hate the money/split talks but Wilder and Fury have guarantee of $4m and $3m respectively (not accounting for ppv)

It's not an exaggeration to say AJs guarantee for fights is higher even when combining the two, it's a different world.

I hope for a good and decisive fight that renders rematch pointless. Winner v AJ for a history defining fight in the blue ribbon division

In other news Wellborn fighting Hurd for $30000. Should have stayed at home for that kind of money. He might get some British ppv loot but doubt it would be much. Hope he wins now

Offline WhoHe

• Believer
« Reply #58870 on: December 1, 2018, 07:43:20 AM »
Fury not miles off where he needs to be. 9lb off Dusseldorf shape. Jab and grab coming up.

No ine is going to argue the division is stronger now than it was in the 90s. But if you said top 10, and by the time you get that far down the rankings in pretty much any era then you're getting into the journeymen. And that's a good era, 10 years ago you had the likes of John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman, Nicolai Valuev and Samuel Peter walking round with belts. Fury or Wilder would be undisputed champs against some of those puddings.

I think that's what I have been struggling to say, in previous years these two would be classed as journeymen wouldn't you think ? Wouldn't mind seeing Fury beaten as I don't go for all this "He's a character" stuff he is a knob in so many ways but not greatly arsed either way.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58871 on: December 1, 2018, 07:51:06 AM »
Fury and Wilder wouldn't be journeyman in any era, even the storied 70s

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58872 on: December 1, 2018, 08:33:39 AM »
I think that's what I have been struggling to say, in previous years these two would be classed as journeymen wouldn't you think ? Wouldn't mind seeing Fury beaten as I don't go for all this "He's a character" stuff he is a knob in so many ways but not greatly arsed either way.

No they wouldn't. In the 00s they'd be ranked 3 and 4 after the Klits, 90s probably fringe contenders taking the places of the likes of Tua, Akinwande, Bruno, McCall etc, and the 80s was basically Tyson blasting out tomato cans.

We end up having this conversation in here every heavyweight fight weekend.

Offline WhoHe

• Believer
« Reply #58873 on: December 1, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »
OK.

Online Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Believer
  • Do you want to build a snowman?
« Reply #58874 on: December 1, 2018, 09:40:25 AM »
Wilder comes across as an utter knob.

But Fury is an absolute arsehole with some disgusting views that sound like a Trump-supporting skyfairy believer. And his fighting style is numbingly boring.

Hope Wilder pounds him to shit.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "  Isaac Asimov

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58875 on: December 1, 2018, 09:44:59 AM »
I just want to see an entertaining fight. I think Wilder is entertaining yeah, might not be the best boxer but if he lands it should be fun. Either wilder Ko or Fury on points.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #58876 on: December 1, 2018, 09:50:50 AM »
Hardly think 2 undefeated champions fighting for the WBC heavyweight title could be classed as journeymen. I'm setting my alarm!

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Believer
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #58877 on: December 1, 2018, 10:11:36 AM »
Sod paying £20 for this!

RAWK SoccerManager League - Draft at end of current season (end of the month)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58878 on: December 1, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »
That is your choice as it is your money, but this is infinitely more worthy of PPV than both of the 22nd December cards

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #58879 on: December 1, 2018, 10:35:25 AM »
That is your choice as it is your money, but this is infinitely more worthy of PPV than both of the 22nd December cards

You're right about that, but I can see how Whyte v Chisora II will be a much better fight for the casual boxing fan than this one.