Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3524598 times)

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #57640 on: February 7, 2024, 11:30:58 am »
"I found 'Oppenhiermier' to be incredibly boring. How did this movie receive such high ratings? It felt like I was watching a History Channel documentary does anything interesting actually happen apart from boring people talking and talking fuck me!

Totally agree. Worst thing was I saw it in cinema so couldn't even pause it for a break. It was just okay for me, not understanding all the hype around it.

Offline Vegeta

• Is definitely a vegetable. All posts stink like sprouts.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #57641 on: February 7, 2024, 11:44:20 am »
Totally agree. Worst thing was I saw it in cinema so couldn't even pause it for a break. It was just okay for me, not understanding all the hype around it.
Yep 100%.  I find myself questioning the validity of the reviews for this movie. Something feels off about all the critics. Were they paid off?

How is it that no one seems to be calling out this movie for the boring mess it is? It almost seems like a scam to lure people into the cinema. It feels like a win-win situation for Hollywood, etc.
150 IQ never wrong.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57642 on: February 7, 2024, 11:47:04 am »
Yep 100%.  I find myself questioning the validity of the reviews for this movie. Something feels off about all the critics. Were they paid off?

How is it that no one seems to be calling out this movie for the boring mess it is? It almost seems like a scam to lure people into the cinema. It feels like a win-win situation for Hollywood, etc.
Hahhahaa yeah it's all a conspiracy

Must be a scam, if other people liked something when you didn't

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #57643 on: February 7, 2024, 11:49:04 am »
"I found 'Oppenhiermier' to be incredibly boring. How did this movie receive such high ratings? It felt like I was watching a History Channel documentary does anything interesting actually happen apart from boring people talking and talking fuck me!

I've not seen it, but isn't is a very story driven biography? If so those are always dialogue heavy and don't really have action scenes etc.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57644 on: February 7, 2024, 12:11:47 pm »
I thought Oppenheimer was absolutely fantastic, I wasn't bored for a second of it.  Perhaps I've been influenced by the paid off critics.  It was my favourite film of the year until I watched The Zone of Interest.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #57645 on: February 7, 2024, 12:51:28 pm »
I enjoyed Oppenheimer and in completely unrelated news I'm also enjoying my new yacht that I paid for using money that absolutely was not from bribery

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #57646 on: February 7, 2024, 12:57:23 pm »
I enjoyed Oppenheimer and in completely unrelated news I'm also enjoying my new yacht that I paid for using money that absolutely was not from bribery

Prestige Worldwide!

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57647 on: February 7, 2024, 01:00:31 pm »
;D

If BAE systems want to get in touch, I'd gladly take a wedge for continuing to recommend Oppenheimer!

Offline Vegeta

• Anny Roader
« Reply #57648 on: February 7, 2024, 01:12:23 pm »
Logan Paul Says He Walked Out Of ‘Oppenheimer’: “It’s All Exposition. Nothing Happened”

150 IQ never wrong.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57649 on: February 7, 2024, 01:14:21 pm »
Logan Paul Says He Walked Out Of ‘Oppenheimer’: “It’s All Exposition. Nothing Happened”

Isn't that the bellend who filmed dead people in a forest and then made a joke about it?

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57650 on: February 7, 2024, 01:32:20 pm »

Well, in that case I've changed my mind.  It's absolutely terrible.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57651 on: February 7, 2024, 02:16:35 pm »

something feels off about his criticism. Was he paid off?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #57652 on: February 7, 2024, 02:31:35 pm »
Apparently KSI didn't like Oppenheimer either. I'd need confirmation from Yung Filly and Chunkz but the signs are that its not worth seeing.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57653 on: February 7, 2024, 04:28:20 pm »
Partly because I was in a slightly masochistic mood and partly because I wanted to recalibrate my idea of what a good film looked like, last night I sought out to watch as bad a film as I could find. Aliens vs Predator: Requiem (2007) fit the bill quite nicely. Possibly the worst lit major film I've seen (it's impossible to make out what's happening for the majority of the runtime), it's also weirdly mean-spirited, introducing characters and then killing off them immediately in unusually brutal ways.

I can "recommend" (not having seen it - but just based on the IMDB rating) "foodfight!" from 2012 - AvP: Requiem has an imdb rating of 4.6  - foodfight's is 1.3! 

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57654 on: February 7, 2024, 04:33:45 pm »

I loved it. Thought it was gripping, brilliantly acted and scripted and really chilling.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #57655 on: February 7, 2024, 05:22:19 pm »
Trailer for Dev Patel's Monkey Man is fantastic.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #57656 on: February 7, 2024, 05:53:00 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YPY7J-flzE8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YPY7J-flzE8</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57657 on: February 7, 2024, 09:59:12 pm »
Trailer for Dev Patel's Monkey Man is fantastic.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g8zxiB5Qhsc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g8zxiB5Qhsc</a>

Looks great.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57658 on: February 7, 2024, 10:32:54 pm »

The Roger Ebert of the YouTube/TikTok generation.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57659 on: February 8, 2024, 10:07:52 am »
All of Us Strangers

Steaming pile of...

I have no idea what was meant to have happened, nor do I care.
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #57660 on: February 8, 2024, 10:56:23 am »
Loved Oppenheimer, script, acting, images and the subject matter were gripping from start to finish.

Imagine working in secret to build a nuclear bomb that would fuck up the world forever more. Imagine understanding quantum mechanics and talking to the very small elite group who also understand it.

Not boring.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2024, 10:59:06 am by lionel_messias »
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #57661 on: February 8, 2024, 12:47:14 pm »
I didn't think Oppenheimer was a brilliant film but it was totally 'gripping' because of the world shattering events it was depicting - similar, in that particular way, to Dr.Zhivago!
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57662 on: February 9, 2024, 06:07:45 pm »
New out in the cinemas today is the A24 movie that seems to have missed out on all the awards buzz. The Iron Claw, which stars Zack Efron, Harris Dickinson, and Jeremy Allen White as three of the famous Von Erich Brothers.
A family of wrestlers led by their father Fritz, who ran WCCW in Texas in the 70s and 80s. A story about family, brotherhood, an overbearing father, and tragedy after tragedy. Plus wrestling in the final days of the territories before the WWF swept it all aside.
Just a great film and great performances (maybe not best Ric Flair impression though), I knew the real story going in but that really didn't lessen the impact.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2024, 06:09:55 pm by John_P »
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #57663 on: February 9, 2024, 09:19:05 pm »
The Beekeeper.

-1/10

One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Fuck I have just stuck the film on....

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #57664 on: February 9, 2024, 09:34:21 pm »
Fuck I have just stuck the film on....

Did you pay for it? Hope you weren’t stung too badly.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #57665 on: February 9, 2024, 10:26:59 pm »
I've never watched it because I knew it would be too boring for me. The monstrous subject matter doesn't interest me in the slightest (there are no heroes for me), so I swerved it in advance.

That said, the actors and director are amazing, and I can see if someone is interested in the subject matter how they would respond positively to it.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #57666 on: February 9, 2024, 10:29:10 pm »
Watched Barbie tonight. Much better than I was expecting. Funny and enjoyable.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57667 on: February 9, 2024, 10:47:48 pm »
Last couple of days watched Emma Seligmans two feature film. Thought both were stunning - Shiva Baby was just so well shot, uncomfortable, just brilliant. Bottoms was raunchy, laugh out loud funny, and has some pretty out there things that happen. Both are fantastic - shiva baby is on MUBI (which has a £1 for 3 months trial deal at mo), bottoms is on prime video.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57668 on: February 9, 2024, 11:09:00 pm »
Last couple of days watched Emma Seligmans two feature film. Thought both were stunning - Shiva Baby was just so well shot, uncomfortable, just brilliant. Bottoms was raunchy, laugh out loud funny, and has some pretty out there things that happen. Both are fantastic - shiva baby is on MUBI (which has a £1 for 3 months trial deal at mo), bottoms is on prime video.
Shiva Baby is so good! Amazing writing, really brings you in on the anxiety (if that's the right word/element?)

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #57669 on: February 9, 2024, 11:17:07 pm »
Did you pay for it? Hope you weren’t stung too badly.

God no Im a cheap skate I use Beetv

It wasn't that great but at least it had a lot of over the top action.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #57670 on: February 10, 2024, 09:25:45 am »
Thought Oppenheimer was dull for the first hour "picked up" in the second, as much as you can for the subject matter, it's no 13 days

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #57671 on: February 10, 2024, 10:35:53 am »
Really enjoyed Saltburn....not at all what I was expecting......slow, intense, fun, surprising......very good
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #57672 on: February 10, 2024, 12:30:54 pm »
Shiva Baby is so good! Amazing writing, really brings you in on the anxiety (if that's the right word/element?)

Shiva Baby is great.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #57673 on: February 10, 2024, 01:27:09 pm »

Yeah it's great, almost a horror movie.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57674 on: February 10, 2024, 09:59:38 pm »
New out in the cinemas today is the A24 movie that seems to have missed out on all the awards buzz. The Iron Claw, which stars Zack Efron, Harris Dickinson, and Jeremy Allen White as three of the famous Von Erich Brothers.
A family of wrestlers led by their father Fritz, who ran WCCW in Texas in the 70s and 80s. A story about family, brotherhood, an overbearing father, and tragedy after tragedy. Plus wrestling in the final days of the territories before the WWF swept it all aside.
Just a great film and great performances (maybe not best Ric Flair impression though), I knew the real story going in but that really didn't lessen the impact.

Just back from it, enjoyed it. Thought it really captured the 80's territory style of wrestling perfectly. Efron did a really good job in ring and really looked the part. Juiced to the gills no doubt. He looked as legit as Mickey Rourke did in The Wrestler.

The Ric Flair portrayal was so bad that it would have been a better film without it. How did that make the cut?
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Vegeta

• Anny Roader
« Reply #57675 on: February 11, 2024, 06:34:34 am »
Honestly, I must be cursed. I picked another supposed 10/10 from critics and 100% on Rotten Tomatoes—'The Banshee of Inisherin.' Two hours of the most depressing, dull scenery you will ever see. It may as well be called an episode of Emmerdale. The acting is pretty overrated as well. After reading such glowing reviews, the plot is dull. I'm not exactly sure how this reviewed so well. Additionally, the pacing is incredibly slow, the character development is lacking, and the dialogue feels forced and unnatural. Overall, it's a major letdown.

I'm losing faith in movie reviews; so many movies with perfect scores end up being mediocre. I've decided to ignore all critics' reviews before making judgments now. I have avoided movies in the past when they have scored poorly which may been a mistake in hindsight.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:39:13 am by Vegeta »
150 IQ never wrong.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57676 on: February 11, 2024, 08:12:33 am »
Shiva Baby is great.

It has the awkwardness of Curb Your Enthusiasm but turned up to eleven.  It's a great film.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57677 on: February 11, 2024, 11:19:56 am »
Honestly, I must be cursed. I picked another supposed 10/10 from critics and 100% on Rotten Tomatoes—'The Banshee of Inisherin.' Two hours of the most depressing, dull scenery you will ever see. It may as well be called an episode of Emmerdale. The acting is pretty overrated as well. After reading such glowing reviews, the plot is dull. I'm not exactly sure how this reviewed so well. Additionally, the pacing is incredibly slow, the character development is lacking, and the dialogue feels forced and unnatural. Overall, it's a major letdown.

I'm losing faith in movie reviews; so many movies with perfect scores end up being mediocre. I've decided to ignore all critics' reviews before making judgments now. I have avoided movies in the past when they have scored poorly which may been a mistake in hindsight.

I think you need to read the movie descriptions more  ;D Just stick to the action or superhero stuff as it looks like movies that are very story or dialogue heavy are probably not for you.

Offline Vegeta

• Anny Roader
« Reply #57678 on: February 11, 2024, 12:41:28 pm »
I think you need to read the movie descriptions more  ;D Just stick to the action or superhero stuff as it looks like movies that are very story or dialogue heavy are probably not for you.
That's fair  ;D. The action movies are usually around 6/10 in terms of entertainment value. They're not groundbreaking, but they provide a predictable level of enjoyment, and the reviews reflect that.

I'm just baffled as to why these movies always receive such high praise; they often get rated 10/10 and hailed as the greatest thing ever by critics, all because they supposedly have some hidden meaning or artistic merit that we're all supposed to appreciate. But let's be brutally honest here: they're often quite dull, just like Oppenheimer.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 12:46:30 pm by Vegeta »
150 IQ never wrong.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57679 on: February 11, 2024, 01:09:42 pm »
That's fair  ;D. The action movies are usually around 6/10 in terms of entertainment value. They're not groundbreaking, but they provide a predictable level of enjoyment, and the reviews reflect that.

I'm just baffled as to why these movies always receive such high praise; they often get rated 10/10 and hailed as the greatest thing ever by critics, all because they supposedly have some hidden meaning or artistic merit that we're all supposed to appreciate. But let's be brutally honest here: they're often quite dull, just like Oppenheimer.

Because people really like them, the two films you didn’t like I loved, and I get to see stuff before a lot of reviews are published (I didn’t see Oppenheimer early, I saw Banshees before most reviews were published).  Instead of being bewildered why people like stuff and blaming critics for influencing people ( while mentioning dickheads on YouTube), perhaps a bit of self reflection is needed, maybe it’s just you ?