Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3524229 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #41360 on: January 5, 2016, 05:43:37 pm »
Same here, only watched I'm A Celebrity when John Lydon was in it.
John Lydon....the Sex Pistol Lydon...was in that tv show...fuckin hell la.

Pistols turned to shit after Matlock left....
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41361 on: January 5, 2016, 05:49:42 pm »
Victoria.
Dixieland.
Lost In The Sun.
Phoenix.
Some Kind Of Hate.
The Keeping Room.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41362 on: January 5, 2016, 05:50:04 pm »
Victoria.
Dixieland.
Lost In The Sun.
Phoenix.
Some Kind Of Hate.
The Keeping Room.

:o

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #41363 on: January 5, 2016, 05:50:49 pm »
John Lydon....the Sex Pistol Lydon...was in that tv show...fuckin hell la.

Pistols turned to shit after Matlock left....

Yes he was and yes they did.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #41364 on: January 5, 2016, 05:55:19 pm »
Got Victoria a month or so back, sounds really decent almost watched last night but watched Duke of Burgundy instead.
I'll get around to it eventually...there's not enough hours in the day.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #41365 on: January 5, 2016, 06:05:00 pm »
Victoria.
Dixieland.
Lost In The Sun.
Phoenix.
Some Kind Of Hate.
The Keeping Room.

nice one dave...some gooduns in there
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #41366 on: January 5, 2016, 06:05:57 pm »

Downloading 3 of them and the one mentioned above, World of Kanako...

is that on KAT john?...cant find a copy with english subs
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #41367 on: January 5, 2016, 06:06:35 pm »

Never heard of them!

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41368 on: January 5, 2016, 06:11:19 pm »
Returner is a great film, although yeah it's a fair bit better on first viewing. Around the same time I saw it I also watched Versus, which is another weird but good little flick.

yeah saw Versus too a while ago, fond memories. the same with Returner.
think i might've hyped it up a tad much nostalgically because i found it too slow second time around.
great fun with a beer first time though
« Last Edit: January 5, 2016, 06:19:24 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41369 on: January 5, 2016, 06:13:43 pm »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41370 on: January 5, 2016, 06:14:08 pm »
;)

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41371 on: January 5, 2016, 06:28:04 pm »
is that on KAT john?...cant find a copy with english subs

I got it from ganool. I don't use torrents.
I probably should but never have really
I haven't checked it yet but says it has subtitles (I'll check in a bit)

http://www.ganool.co.in/the-world-of-kanako-2014-bluray-720p/

Just checked and no subs sadly. Can get them elsewhere though I'm sure.
Or just download elsewhere.

Subs are here... works fine.

http://subscene.com/subtitles/the-world-of-kanako

« Last Edit: January 5, 2016, 07:15:19 pm by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #41372 on: January 5, 2016, 06:58:56 pm »
Anyone seen Joy?

Don't really get the tendency to try and get Lawrence and Cooper in the same films all the time..

Does it work this time around?

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41373 on: January 5, 2016, 07:03:02 pm »
Anyone seen Joy?

Don't really get the tendency to try and get Lawrence and Cooper in the same films all the time..

Not supposed to be great from what I've heard, bit of a mess, doesn't know what it wants to be etc etc.
Who knows though.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41374 on: January 5, 2016, 07:07:56 pm »
Anyone seen Joy?

It was a sunday afternoon, passable comedy drama. Not awful but not great at all.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41375 on: January 5, 2016, 07:15:25 pm »
Try here-as a stream.

http://myasiantv.se/movie/the-world-of-kanako/watch/#mediaplayer

I got it from ganool. I don't use torrents.
I probably should but never have really
I haven't checked it yet but says it has subtitles (I'll check in a bit)

http://www.ganool.co.in/the-world-of-kanako-2014-bluray-720p/

Just checked and no subs sadly. Can get them elsewhere though I'm sure.
Or just download elsewhere.

I usually use shaanig .
Subs included here, J.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41376 on: January 5, 2016, 07:16:40 pm »
Subs included here, J.

Nice one mate, sorted now though but cheers.

I'll check out the site.

:thumbup

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41377 on: January 5, 2016, 07:25:57 pm »

Nice one mate, sorted now though but cheers.

I'll check out the site.

:thumbup
;)

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41378 on: January 5, 2016, 11:59:34 pm »
Watched Irrational Man and thought it was decent enough.
Not classic Woody but I liked both Joaquin Phoenix and Emma Stone and thought that it was interesting to a point and some of the dialogue and themes were good.
I'm sure some would find it boring or find fault with it but I enjoyed it.

A 6/10 maybe....Not great but worth a watch.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #41379 on: January 6, 2016, 12:01:14 am »
Agree with people on The Big Short

Most enjoyable (and saddening) film I've seen in quite a while, Star Wars aside. Had me on Wikipedia for about 2 hours after too.

Fair play to Steve Carell also, not many make the switch from comedic actor to serious with any great success. Thought he was fantastic, as was everyone else. Wanted to see more of Bale though his character was excellent.
:D

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #41380 on: January 6, 2016, 11:46:59 pm »
I know this mightn't be allowed here, but what is everyone using nowadays?

I don't use torrents so much, and pretty much stream - I used Alluc, but isn't good on my mobile if I'm at the birds.

And what did people make of The Experimenter?

Thought it was interesting in parts - Sarsgard rarely inspires me in his performances and his deadpan approach in this didn't do much in the way of convincing me that he is anything other than a very good wingman.

Visually interesting, it blends in some interesting usage of green screen and has a similar feeling to Natural Born Killers sometimes.

The story is what pisses me off though - I just can't watch a film any more without wanting to check if it is factually correct.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41381 on: January 7, 2016, 11:25:39 am »
Spectre - bit underwhelming to be honest. Should have been a lot better.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41382 on: January 7, 2016, 11:48:33 am »
Burnt was ok, but reading about cooking movies later led me to Chef (Jon Favreau) which has much better reviews, gonna give it a watch later.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #41383 on: January 7, 2016, 01:38:27 pm »
Burnt - so so, much like an extended behind-the-scenes episode of Masterchef with extra helpings of tantrums and histrionics ..Cooper's good in it though, more to him than fiendishly good looks. 6/10

Knight Of Cups - imagine one of those ultra pretentious Cristian Dior / Dolce & Gabanna / Chanel perfume adverts....now imagine it lasting for over 2 hours. Excruciating. 3/10

Brooklyn - Marvelous....a simple coming of age tale but written and performed with such love and attention that you cant help get caught up in it. If Saoirse Ronan doesn't pick up the best actress Oscar I'll wear an Everton top at the derby. 8/10

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41384 on: January 7, 2016, 01:41:01 pm »
Creed Unlimited screening tonight, cannot wait.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41385 on: January 7, 2016, 01:50:46 pm »
Knight of Cups is more pretentious tripe from Malick.

Wasted 2 hours of my life watching that the other night,post Thin Red Line his films have been a struggle to watch.

The same old camera shots with mumbling voiceovers.

He needs another long long sabbatical.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41386 on: January 7, 2016, 01:54:02 pm »
Burnt - so so, much like an extended behind-the-scenes episode of Masterchef with extra helpings of tantrums and histrionics ..Cooper's good in it though, more to him than fiendishly good looks. 6/10

Knight Of Cups - imagine one of those ultra pretentious Cristian Dior / Dolce & Gabanna / Chanel perfume adverts....now imagine it lasting for over 2 hours. Excruciating. 3/10

Brooklyn - Marvelous....a simple coming of age tale but written and performed with such love and attention that you cant help get caught up in it. If Saoirse Ronan doesn't pick up the best actress Oscar I'll wear an Everton top at the derby. 8/10
We will of course require photographic evidence...a man is only as good as his word, brother. ;D

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #41387 on: January 7, 2016, 02:03:40 pm »
We will of course require photographic evidence...a man is only as good as his word, brother. ;D

I of course forgot to include my usual adjunct....'Its not written in stone'   8)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41388 on: January 7, 2016, 02:51:33 pm »

I of course forgot to include my usual adjunct....'Its not written in stone'   8)
Nice save. ;D

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #41389 on: January 7, 2016, 09:04:15 pm »
Burnt was ok, but reading about cooking movies later led me to Chef (Jon Favreau) which has much better reviews, gonna give it a watch later.
Chef is a cracking movie. An unexpected gem.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41390 on: January 7, 2016, 09:07:29 pm »
Knight of Cups is more pretentious tripe from Malick.

Wasted 2 hours of my life watching that the other night,post Thin Red Line his films have been a struggle to watch.

The same old camera shots with mumbling voiceovers.

He needs another long long sabbatical.

I liked Tree of Life but yeah, they're not an easy watch.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #41391 on: January 8, 2016, 10:13:06 am »
The Big Short - terrific....funny, sobering and infuriating ..which takes some doing - but pulled off by a combo of slick directing /editing and knock out performances....as others have said Steve Carell excels, but all the big guns - Bale, Pitt and Gosling - also contribute...managing to convey the complicated tale of sickening greed, arrogance and corruption into a comprehensible but depressing warning as to how fucked we are - and exposing it rather than reveling in it as last years Wolf of Wall Street did. A film that should watched by everyone and well worth a double viewing. 9/10

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41392 on: January 8, 2016, 10:48:00 am »
Creed was great.  Really good way to pick it up and it still feel relevant and new.

Now sitting in the cinema in front of a fuck off big screen for the next three hours to watch The Hateful Eight.  Absolutely buzzing.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41393 on: January 8, 2016, 11:26:13 am »
Trailer for High-rise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYmY2tBYins

Looks awesome, that score!
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41394 on: January 8, 2016, 11:54:46 am »
Clint Eastwoods son and his most recent movies.....

Cant wait to see one of Arnies sons enter the game

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #41395 on: January 8, 2016, 12:50:58 pm »
Holy Shit, just saw that scene in Bone Tomahawk.

That is heavy.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #41396 on: January 8, 2016, 01:49:29 pm »
The Big Short - terrific....funny, sobering and infuriating ..which takes some doing - but pulled off by a combo of slick directing /editing and knock out performances....as others have said Steve Carell excels, but all the big guns - Bale, Pitt and Gosling - also contribute...managing to convey the complicated tale of sickening greed, arrogance and corruption into a comprehensible but depressing warning as to how fucked we are - and exposing it rather than reveling in it as last years Wolf of Wall Street did. A film that should watched by everyone and well worth a double viewing. 9/10

Agree with all that. Sums up the film perfectly. That it can balance all those things/ideas and still manage to present the complexity of all these financial 'products' and their destructive nature in such an entertaining way is an act of brilliance. A week or so after watching, it's Bale's character that sticks with me. That it was a one-eyed (& perhaps) autistic man scrutinising data in California who saw all this coming is deeply ironic. Looking forward to reading the book.

And I'll defo be watching it again.

By contrast, 99 Houses takes up the story from the events after The Big Short - once the implications of the financial crash have hit the ground in Florida. It is about a single father (Andrew Garfield) trying to save his family home from a corrupt and amoral real estate agent (Michael Shannon). In desperate times, desperate actions are required...Watchable and really well directed, but far from groundbreaking, the plot seems a bit too predictable to me. However, it gives a vivid and devastating portrait of the fall out from the actions of all those Wall Street guys shown in The Big Short. Not a companion piece by any measure, but interesting to view in relation to The Big Short. And Shannon is absolutely outstanding.

Btw, this is interesting piece in which the writer argues that the big banks during the 2000s acted exactly like counterfeiters.

https://theintercept.com/2016/01/02/i-was-wrong-big-banks-actually-were-exactly-like-counterfeiters/
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #41397 on: January 8, 2016, 01:58:31 pm »
Holy Shit, just saw that scene in Bone Tomahawk.

That is heavy.
Ha ha it's grim as fuck init! Really didn't see that level of gore/visceral horror coming!

This had been in my "to watch" pile for about 3 fucking years, was always put off as I thought it looked a little bit period/stuffy. Bloody hell, it was anything but, great wee vampire film that really did offer a tired genre something new.

Byzantium
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1531901/
Residents of a coastal town learn, with deathly consequences, the secret shared by the two mysterious women who have sought shelter at a local resort

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #41398 on: January 8, 2016, 02:12:34 pm »

This had been in my "to watch" pile for about 3 fucking years, was always put off as I thought it looked a little bit period/stuffy. Bloody hell, it was anything but, great wee vampire film that really did offer a tired genre something new.

Byzantium
Residents of a coastal town learn, with deathly consequences, the secret shared by the two mysterious women who have sought shelter at a local resort

Agree. Really good film. Really underrated. I'm gonna watch it again soon. Neil Jordan too...
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #41399 on: January 8, 2016, 03:19:06 pm »
Ha ha it's grim as fuck init! Really didn't see that level of gore/visceral horror coming!

Byzantium

It stopped me in my tracks and had to watch it twice - that was a brutal scene and beyond the level of horror that I would expect from a Western. You think Western, you think white guys win, red guys lose - I don't mean that to sound as it may sound, but it was utterly bizarre to see that happen. I always thought that scalping was just the skin of the scalp, I didn't realise that it was the crown too.

Anyhow, random fact - I directed a youth theatre play of that film Byzantium. It was called A Vampire's Tale when we did it - and I hated it if I'm honest.
Continually on 11,420.