Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3501640 times)

Offline pistol

• ot of the time
  • Legacy Fan
  • My cat's name is mittens
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #400 on: March 28, 2006, 03:32:51 pm »
I can see the logic behind that, it's just that we nthe build up is so slow and weak, and the torture takes up such a relatively small period of time then it needed to have been done in more detail.

As you say, good idea but poor execution.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #401 on: March 29, 2006, 05:29:43 pm »
Watched "Secuestro Express" over the week-end.  It is surprisingly good, and the actors are mostly very convincing. 

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: March 29, 2006, 05:31:09 pm »
Watched Hard Eight, cracking
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #403 on: March 30, 2006, 12:44:52 pm »
The summer blockbuster season is pure cinematic escapism, with this in mind what films are people looking forward to most from the blockbuster season?

There are some absolute monster titles including Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Mission: Impossible III, The Da Vinci Code, Pixar's Cars, Superman Returns and then slightly outside the mainstream is cop drama Edison starring Morgan Freeman, the Jack Black wrestling comedy Nacho Libre and David Fincher's serial killer thriller Zodiac.

Personally, I think Miami Vice looks cool as you like (Michael Mann and Jamie Foxx back together can be no bad thing) and hopefully X-Men 3 will provide a fitting finale to an underrated series. How about you?
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #404 on: March 30, 2006, 01:15:09 pm »

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Sequel
Mission: Impossible III Sequel
The Da Vinci Code 
Pixar's Cars
Superman Returns Sequel/Remake

Miami Vice Remake
 X-Men 3 Sequel

I'd bite your hand off for Zodiac, but apart from that the preponderance will be another rash of rehashes. Bit depressing, that.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #405 on: March 30, 2006, 01:34:08 pm »
I'd bite your hand off for Zodiac, but apart from that the preponderance will be another rash of rehashes. Bit depressing, that.

Would agree with that.... However. Some of this years sequels do look tasty. X-Men 3 should round the trilogy off nicely (yes it is only a trilogy) Superman Returns i am actually getting excited about. Pirates 2 (hope it doesn't ruin a gem of a first film)

But stuff to look out for - A new Werner Herzog PoW film. The Moguls (looks fab). Perfume & Thank you for smoking to name but a few.

Should again see the box office taken by hollywood and the acclaim taken by the smaller films. But i tell you what Hollywood hasn't looked this promising in years*

* Until the oscars next year when i say "The blockbusters were a big let down once again"

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #406 on: March 30, 2006, 02:07:17 pm »
The summer blockbuster season is pure cinematic escapism, with this in mind what films are people looking forward to most from the blockbuster season?

See signature...  :)
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #407 on: March 30, 2006, 02:17:24 pm »
See signature...  :)

Hoping i am wrong here, but i am predicting a huge disappointment with this one mate.
Would love it to be another Smith masterpiece but don't see it happening

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: March 30, 2006, 02:20:36 pm »

Absolutely childlike with impatience for the Pirates of the Caribbean sequel, saw a trailer for it over here a few weeks ago and even dubbed in French it was promising, can't wait ;D

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #409 on: March 30, 2006, 02:36:52 pm »
Hoping i am wrong here, but i am predicting a huge disappointment with this one mate.
Would love it to be another Smith masterpiece but don't see it happening

Well its never gonna be as good as the original thats for sure, cant really make much out from the teaser trailer on the site but should be pretty decent anyway. 

Certainly don't mind spending £6 at the cinema to watch it, for a Smith film its worth the risk. :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 02:38:45 pm by rknowlesy »
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #410 on: March 30, 2006, 02:42:14 pm »
I've just finished watching The Last Broadcast, tis a factual documentary about 4 men who go in search of a mythical creature called 'the jersey devil' in the pine barrens (for their cable tv show 'fact or fiction'  only one man came back, the other three where brutally murdered although only two bodies where found. The 4th man as the only suspect and due to a case purely built on circumstantial evidence was convicted. This documentary through the use of actual footage and interviews examines whether the suspect actually was the killer, whether he was possessed, whether there was another person there and what happened to the third body?

very good documentary, which almost definitely inspired the Blair Witch Project.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #411 on: March 30, 2006, 02:55:05 pm »
I've just finished watching The Last Broadcast, tis a factual documentary about 4 men who go in search of a mythical creature called 'the jersey devil' in the pine barrens (for their cable tv show 'fact or fiction'  only one man came back, the other three where brutally murdered although only two bodies where found. The 4th man as the only suspect and due to a case purely built on circumstantial evidence was convicted. This documentary through the use of actual footage and interviews examines whether the suspect actually was the killer, whether he was possessed, whether there was another person there and what happened to the third body?

very good documentary, which almost definitely inspired the Blair Witch Project.

Or a very good film!!!!

David Beard ....  David Leigh, The Filmmaker
Jim Seward ....  James "Jim" L. Suerd, The Accused
Stefan Avalos ....  Steven "Johnny" Avkast, "Fact or Fiction" Host
Lance Weiler ....  Locus Wheeler, "Fact or Fiction" Host
Rein Clabbers ....  Rein Clackin, Paranormal Sound Man
Michele Pulaski ....  Michelle "Shelly" Monarch, Data Retrieval Expert
Tom Brunt ....  Thomas "Tom" Branski, "Fact or Fiction" Video Engineer
Mark Rublee ....  Clair Deforest, Video Editor for the Prosecution
A.D. Roso ....  Detective Anthony Rosi, Lead Investigator
Dale Worstall ....  Dr. Dale Orstall, Jim's Child Psychologist
Vann K. Weller ....  Vann K. Waller, Forensic Pathologist
Sam Wells ....  Sam Woods, Film & Televisoin Director
Jay MacDonald ....  Jay McDowell, Web Designer
Faith Weiler ....  Joyce Dryer, Jim's Landlady
Marianne Connor ....  Mary Brenner, TV Reporter

Dubbed the first "desktop feature film", it was the first film to be filmed, edited, and screened entirely digitally. No film was involved.

Nice try, not satdee yet my friend

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #412 on: March 30, 2006, 03:41:22 pm »

Like that a lot, though 'almost definitely inspired' is being polite to put it mildly- or are the lawyers watching?  ;)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #413 on: March 30, 2006, 03:45:34 pm »
Got to say i love the character names.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: March 30, 2006, 07:20:15 pm »

Cars!
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #415 on: March 30, 2006, 07:22:06 pm »
Or a very good film!!!!

David Beard ....  David Leigh, The Filmmaker
Jim Seward ....  James "Jim" L. Suerd, The Accused
Stefan Avalos ....  Steven "Johnny" Avkast, "Fact or Fiction" Host
Lance Weiler ....  Locus Wheeler, "Fact or Fiction" Host
Rein Clabbers ....  Rein Clackin, Paranormal Sound Man
Michele Pulaski ....  Michelle "Shelly" Monarch, Data Retrieval Expert
Tom Brunt ....  Thomas "Tom" Branski, "Fact or Fiction" Video Engineer
Mark Rublee ....  Clair Deforest, Video Editor for the Prosecution
A.D. Roso ....  Detective Anthony Rosi, Lead Investigator
Dale Worstall ....  Dr. Dale Orstall, Jim's Child Psychologist
Vann K. Weller ....  Vann K. Waller, Forensic Pathologist
Sam Wells ....  Sam Woods, Film & Televisoin Director
Jay MacDonald ....  Jay McDowell, Web Designer
Faith Weiler ....  Joyce Dryer, Jim's Landlady
Marianne Connor ....  Mary Brenner, TV Reporter

Dubbed the first "desktop feature film", it was the first film to be filmed, edited, and screened entirely digitally. No film was involved.

Nice try, not satdee yet my friend

yeah but if you didn't know it was a film (which isnt very evident) 
Spoiler
at least that was my inclination til it was revealed the director was killer
[close]
then you would think it was a documentary, just didn't want to spoil it for anyone, but i guess that's a little late now :)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #416 on: March 30, 2006, 07:23:33 pm »
yeah but if you didn't know it was a film (which isnt very evident) 
Spoiler
at least that was my inclination til it was revealed the director was killer
[close]
then you would think it was a documentary, just didn't want to spoil it for anyone, but i guess that's a little late now :)

Goddamit the sixth sense curse strikes again.

Ruined that for the whole cinema when i said the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud.

Yep i realised the twist half way through

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #417 on: March 31, 2006, 10:30:13 pm »

There are some absolute monster titles including Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Mission: Impossible III, The Da Vinci Code, Pixar's Cars, Superman Returns and then slightly outside the mainstream is cop drama Edison starring Morgan Freeman, the Jack Black wrestling comedy Nacho Libre and David Fincher's serial killer thriller Zodiac.

Personally, I think Miami Vice looks cool as you like (Michael Mann and Jamie Foxx back together can be no bad thing) and hopefully X-Men 3 will provide a fitting finale to an underrated series. How about you?

I'll be interested to see if the Da Vinci Code film is as mind-numbingly stupid as the book... Pirates... haven't seen the first and probably won't watch the second.... Mission Impossible? Tom Cruise? I think I'll just slit my wrists thanks... Miami Vice - and the point is?... and X-Men 3 - is it really necessary?

Might give Cars a go, though I have a feeling it might not match up to previous Pixar efforts... and Zodiaq. Loved Jack Black as the quirky supporting actor but don't  think he can carry a film himself.

Just my opinion of course....
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: April 1, 2006, 01:00:40 am »
Being dragged by my lady friend to see Ice Age: Meltdown tonight (opening night) - 9:00pm. Will report back.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #419 on: April 1, 2006, 10:30:53 pm »
Cool :thumbup :wave

(I haven't seen Crash yet, it's on the list...)

was on my list and watched it tonight. wow! amazing film. brokeback for best oscar my arse. crash has a much better storyline, stronger characters and better music. anybody who hasn't it yet go out and rent it now! btw ta to nice mr blockbuster man for finding a just returned copy for me to watch.

tomorrow nights more4 choice is taxi driver - looking forward to that as well.
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: April 1, 2006, 10:32:45 pm »
I watched the Matrix tonight after Vinay's thread :D

Crash next then.

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #421 on: April 1, 2006, 10:36:10 pm »
matrix any good? apparently mean to have a religious/messianic sub plot. crash is fab elli - you'll love it.
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: April 1, 2006, 10:39:16 pm »
Yeah the Matrix is great, but I don't know about "subplot" it's somewhat less subtle than that! Only thing I don't like about it, pretty major though it is. Very explicit/overly obvious rebirth sequence and the city they're all trying to get to/defend is called Zion, etc.

As for messianic, erm, yeah. But it's thinky as well - you think that's air you're breathing? There is no spoon. Etc. I liked it far far more when I was 16, but it's still a good film.

:wave

Offline Sub

• Has a duck like a chicken
  • Legacy Fan
  • For sure.
« Reply #423 on: April 2, 2006, 01:13:42 pm »
Went to see the hills have eyes last night (haven't read through the thread so not sure if anyone has mentioned this before).

Thought it was good meself, jumpy, sick, funny and pretty scary.

Anyone else who has seen it what did you think of it?
'Football is a lie' - Rafael Benitez.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: April 2, 2006, 01:18:07 pm »
and X-Men 3 - is it really necessary?

Seeing as X-Men is meant to be a trilogy, the third installment is kind of necessary :P

Anyone seen a trailer for Silent Hill? It's based on the successful Playstation games, and whilst films based on games normally are awful, this looks like one film that might just go against type.

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: April 2, 2006, 01:26:10 pm »
Theres trailers available here .. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384537/trailers

Wouldn't mind seeing this myself, as the game was class. But most Computer game films are fucking awful.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #426 on: April 2, 2006, 01:27:31 pm »
Seeing as X-Men is meant to be a trilogy, the third installment is kind of necessary :P

Anyone seen a trailer for Silent Hill? It's based on the successful Playstation games, and whilst films based on games normally are awful, this looks like one film that might just go against type.

Meant to post on this earlier. I've seen the trailer twice now, and if they can successfully transport the unsettling atmos of the game- the creeping sense of dislocation, the shift into a cruel and twisted parallel town, rather than 'make you jump' moments- then it could be a winner. Hope so. The casting is spot on too- when I played the game I always visualised Alice Krige in the mix somewhere. Roger Avary knows his way round a script, too.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: April 2, 2006, 01:34:05 pm »
Hood and Fat Tony, think it's out in a few weeks, so not long to wait. The source material is strong, and reading previews, it seems those involved aren't just looking for a cash-in.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: April 2, 2006, 01:49:05 pm »
Finally got round to watching Tony Scott's "Domino".

I thought it was great. I can see why a lot of people didn't like it, but it was typical Scott.

How has Mickey Rourke become so cool again? ;D
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #429 on: April 2, 2006, 02:02:33 pm »
Gonna try and get crash tonight, hope they've got it in like!
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: April 2, 2006, 03:39:29 pm »
Ice Age 2 is very good. It is a kids movie but there are some very funny parts and the whole thing was very satisfying. Snatch the sabre-toothed squirrel steals the show once again.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: April 2, 2006, 04:17:43 pm »
I want to see that, I loved the first one, glad to hear the second is good.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #432 on: April 2, 2006, 05:01:19 pm »
Gonna try and get crash tonight, hope they've got it in like!

I watched Crash the other night really enjoyed the film.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: April 2, 2006, 05:39:25 pm »
I would definitely leave the phone ringing for her.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #434 on: April 2, 2006, 07:51:34 pm »
I watched Crash the other night really enjoyed the film.

They didnt have it so gonna watch Ray Mears instead!
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: April 3, 2006, 09:54:28 pm »
Just watched Cinderella Man. Good Ron Howard film
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline lukas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: April 3, 2006, 11:57:53 pm »
Went to see the hills have eyes last night (haven't read through the thread so not sure if anyone has mentioned this before).

Thought it was good meself, jumpy, sick, funny and pretty scary.

Anyone else who has seen it what did you think of it?

Just got back from watching it meself, didnt think it was anything special.  Made me jump a few times like.

Very similar to 'Texas Chainsaw' and 'Wrong Turn' so nothing new just a typcial gory movie.
PSN:lr3487

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #437 on: April 4, 2006, 08:43:17 am »
Just got back from watching it meself, didnt think it was anything special.  Made me jump a few times like.

Very similar to 'Texas Chainsaw' and 'Wrong Turn' so nothing new just a typcial gory movie.

Can't see it out doing Switchblade Romance myself

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: April 4, 2006, 03:32:41 pm »
Just saw Spike Lee's Inside Man: great script. Good movie, well acted. Really enjoyed it and would recommend it, very intelligent movie making in a lot of ways.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: April 4, 2006, 03:52:24 pm »
Not a new film but watched 'House of Flying Daggers' last night.

Absolutely stunning Cinematography with quite a nice little storyline which really gets you feeling for certain characters.

The fight sequences are as you would expect from this type of movie and are expertly choreographed.

Well worth a watch if you don't mind subtitles or your Mandarin Chinese is up to scratch.