Author Topic: The La's  (Read 15223 times)

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
The La's
« on: June 2, 2005, 02:15:47 pm »
I'm heading to see The La's next week in the Ambassador in Dublin.  Anyone know if they are red or blue?  Thinking of bring me scarf for the laugh!  Has anyone seen them since they reformed? any reviews? set lists? cheers
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

radiofc.com | last.fm | soundcloud | @radiofc

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The La's
« Reply #1 on: June 2, 2005, 03:11:32 pm »
johny powers a red, he went on to front Cast.

He was in Istanbul last week, with a big beard and was bus surfing across the roofs.

sound eh.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #2 on: June 2, 2005, 03:44:52 pm »
John Power was on our bus back into town from the Ataturk.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #3 on: June 2, 2005, 03:53:52 pm »
ha ha! that is savage. definitely gonna have some pool related attire now
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"  George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
« Reply #4 on: June 2, 2005, 05:25:41 pm »
I think Lee Mavers is a Blue, at least that's what I read in the book "Liverpool, Wondrous Place".
LFC - It's what's happening!!!

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 9, 2005, 11:14:18 am »
John Power was on our bus back into town from the Ataturk.

was he still bus surfing?
I wanan see some photies of this, its so rock n roll !

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #6 on: June 9, 2005, 12:33:32 pm »
Well The La's played for approx 59min - no talkin at all so just back to back tunes. It was an alright gig but not a classic. Lee Mavers looks every bit the washed up heroin addict he is. John Power was fantastic though. "Timeless Melody" and "Looking Glass" were top notch and the playing overall was very good. "There she goes" was poorly delivered but you can imagine how much they hate that song at this stage considering we're all pretty tired of it! Another beautiful song was "Over" which I've been humming in my head since the gig. I see they're down to play oxegen festival in Ireland on the Sunday so catch them then if you missed them last night.

Offline liverpoolpaddy's son

• test
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2005, 12:36:16 pm »
they are playin oxegen this year hopefully should be able to pop in and see them on the same time as the streets though
"He shall come again with glory... of His kingdom there shall be no end"

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #8 on: June 9, 2005, 12:48:08 pm »
"There she goes" was poorly delivered but you can imagine how much they hate that song at this stage considering we're all pretty tired of it!

:o

'Pretty tired' of one of the finest pop songs of all time? Jesus.

I had tickets to see them in London, but have offloaded them onto my siblings, as I will see them play at Glastonbury. Really looking forward to it, timeless melodies is right.

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #9 on: June 9, 2005, 12:56:06 pm »
Quote from: omerta on Today at 02:33:32 PM
"There she goes" was poorly delivered but you can imagine how much they hate that song at this stage considering we're all pretty tired of it!

:o

'Pretty tired' of one of the finest pop songs of all time? Jesus.

I had tickets to see them in London, but have offloaded them onto my siblings, as I will see them play at Glastonbury. Really looking forward to it, timeless melodies is right.

Yeah right. Never get tired of that song. Simply a classic.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 9, 2005, 01:18:12 pm »
Most bands hate their song that is always associated with them though, becuase it clouds other stuff they've done. Can you imagine how annoying it would be to play a gig, where some people only go becuase they know one song, and stand there all night shouting "play There She Goes"? You'd be more inclined not to play it just to piss them off.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #11 on: June 9, 2005, 01:55:27 pm »
Most bands hate their song that is always associated with them though, becuase it clouds other stuff they've done. Can you imagine how annoying it would be to play a gig, where some people only go becuase they know one song, and stand there all night shouting "play There She Goes"? You'd be more inclined not to play it just to piss them off.

Exactly. 

For example, Led Zeppelin or Robert Plant will never perform Stairway To Heaven despite the fact that for many people it is considered their signature tune. 

I did, however, go to see Steve Earle in Galway two years ago and I ashamed to say I only knew "Copperhead Road" at that time.  The gig itself was fanstastic and I got to hear some cracking tunes from his back catalogue but I was amazed to see how he really got into the tune (C. Road) when he performed it solo on the mandolin and his re-interpretation will live long in the memory. 

Springsteen also re-interprets "Born In The USA" whenever he performs it live but this is mainly due to the fact the a lot of people didn't actually realise what the song was about on release and it is much clearer in its stark acoustic rendition.

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 9, 2005, 06:49:18 pm »
Rumour has it they're supporting Oasis in July so I might see them then.

Was there much new material?

Offline omerta

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
    • radiofc.com
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 09:38:15 am »
no new material played in Dublin anyway but word has it that Mr. Mavers has written a few tracks

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 11:09:28 am »
RAWK get together to form a red presence at the front for the la's at oxegen and glasto?  i will be at both
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 11:53:19 am »
Saw them last night at Shepherds Bush Empire, absolutely fucking fantastic.

Yer man above (omerta) is spot on, no talking, just music, and with tunes like theirs why would you want to listen to a man just talking???

After a half hour delay because one of the lighting rigs wasn't working (and we know what a perfectionist Mr Mavers is...) Mavers ambled onto stage, picked up his acoustic and rattled into Son of a Gun, the rest of the band just seemed to join in by force of his will. Perfect, just absolutely fucking perfect. He looks exactly as he did all those years ago, same hair style, same t-shirt and jeans, dead casual, nothing special or labelled or overtly stylish, just a man who knows he doesn't have to work hard to be dead cool. Power was looking his usual self,curly mop-top bopping away all over the stage, his bass playing and backing vocals were perfect, not bad for a bloke I last saw looking absolutely fucking wasted on a bus in Turkey.

There she goes was played about track 5 or 6 and it was a moment to die for, the last few weeks have been pretty emotional stuff, first Istanbul, various personal issues, and then this last night, the hairs were standing up on the back of my neck, oh and on my arms and legs too. "Feelin'", "Doledrum" and "I Can't Sleep" were all belted out to great effect. "Looking Glass", the final song on the second encore was amazing and "Over" the last song of the initial set was pretty fucking special too.

Overall, it was an amazing night, I'm 32 and missed out seeing them first time round, I'd thought I'd missed this particular boat but last night, including the three new tracks, was about as good a gig as I can remember going to.

it's good to have them back and it was a privilege to be there.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 12:03:26 pm by Appy »
@ManifoldReasons

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 02:07:50 pm »
I've just been sent a link to download a recording of the La's rehearsing tunes that were supposed to go on the 2nd album which never happened from 1989 in the kitchen of the owner of Go Discs (their label) - basically recorded as a progress report.

It includes tracks (rumoured titles only of course):

When Will I See You Again?
Our Time
Robber Man
She Came Down in the Morning \ Run to You
Was it Something I Said?
It's Impossible
Tears in the Rain
I am the Key
Go Go Daddy

If anyone wants a link PM me
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline The Cappuccino Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • Aren't we free?
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 02:16:57 pm »
Lee Mavers is a blue and John Power is a red. Confirmed.
Formerly Mr Brightside.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 05:29:48 pm »
Fuck who they support. WHEN ARE THEY IN DUBLIN !!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 05:54:04 pm »
I've just been sent a link to download a recording of the La's rehearsing tunes that were supposed to go on the 2nd album which never happened from 1989 in the kitchen of the owner of Go Discs (their label) - basically recorded as a progress report.

It includes tracks (rumoured titles only of course):

When Will I See You Again?
Our Time
Robber Man
She Came Down in the Morning \ Run to You
Was it Something I Said?
It's Impossible
Tears in the Rain
I am the Key
Go Go Daddy

If anyone wants a link, post in here or PM me
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 08:31:28 pm »
from the books thread:
In search of the La's. MW Macefield

Great account of the La's and it's numerous line-ups. There are interviews with all the key players apart from John Power. If you're a fan of Liverpool music, espeacially the late 80s and early 90s this is a great read, it's also a real page turner which I think is unusual in a music book.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 08:46:05 pm »
from the books thread:

picked this up for Christmas on your rec, Kavah, the wait is killing me... :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 08:48:58 pm »
Quote from: omerta on Today at 02:33:32 PM

Yeah right. Never get tired of that song. Simply a classic.

I used to mange the studios where the lads rehearsed when they were Cast, usually booking them in anonymously. One of John's little tricks was to walk in unannounced on young bands who were trying to jam 'There She Goes' in another part of the building and show them how to play it properly.

Always thought that was pretty cool.
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline Rafalutionary

• Legacy Fan
  • For Sure
In search of the La's
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 05:27:16 pm »
Don't know if this should be in here or Media & Arts. Went to get the book 'In search of The La's' but couldn't find it in the shops in town I asked the girl at the till in Waterstones an she said the book has gone out of publication. Does anyone know anywhere that might sell it?
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the games and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great yet humble" - Bill Shankly

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline Rafalutionary

• Legacy Fan
  • For Sure
Re: In search of the La's
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 05:43:36 pm »
Ta la  ;)
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the games and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great yet humble" - Bill Shankly

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 05:49:12 pm »
Library in town had a copy last time I was there.

Absolutely brilliant book. Read it, get the Kitchen Tapes, skin up, bliss.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 09:42:17 am »
I was with John recently and Mavo's younger brother. I'll ask them of the wehereabouts of the rest of the band.

Oh shit you meant the book.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 11:30:21 am »
I spotted the La's Radio one sessions CD in HMV last night for a tenner.

First time i've officially bought a cd in a long long time.

Absolutely superb album.  Its basically the album the way the band wanted it to sound.

Didnt realise there was a book. Shall be putting that on my xmas list for Father Clause.
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 11:31:13 am »
Incidentally while we're on the subject of scouse music, has anybody spotted "The Real People" cd anywhere when theyve been out and about???

Really want this again as i havent heard it in a few years.

Cheers
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline Will (Mr)

• Neville, Neville ... banana or poo? The all new Mr Arscott...
  • Anny Roader
  • Done the treble
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 02:30:54 pm »
You can get it on Amazon

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 1, 2009, 10:00:51 pm »
Gonna buy an album from The La's on iTunes.  Which album would you recommend?  Thinking The La's BBC Sessions.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline Rafalutionary

• Legacy Fan
  • For Sure
« Reply #33 on: May 2, 2009, 06:14:51 pm »
Gonna buy an album from The La's on iTunes.  Which album would you recommend?  Thinking The La's BBC Sessions.

Yeah get that or the deluxe albulm which is also good. AlsoI've heard he's thinking of reforming the band with Babyshambles as the rest of the band which I'm hoping doesn't happen as I despise them (Babyshambles that is) and it ain't the La's if theres no John Power there either
« Last Edit: May 2, 2009, 06:16:46 pm by Rafalutionary »

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #34 on: May 3, 2009, 01:54:00 am »
Timeless Melody and Feelin are boss songs. Actually the Las album is boss pretty much all the way through.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 5, 2009, 06:05:07 pm »
Yeah get that or the deluxe albulm which is also good. AlsoI've heard he's thinking of reforming the band with Babyshambles as the rest of the band which I'm hoping doesn't happen as I despise them (Babyshambles that is) and it ain't the La's if theres no John Power there either
Cheers, bought the BBC sessions one, been listening to it since, brilliant.  Couple of the songs sounds much different to the popier released versions.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 5, 2009, 06:21:32 pm »
Cheers, bought the BBC sessions one, been listening to it since, brilliant.  Couple of the songs sounds much different to the popier released versions.

there are some great versions on the bbc album. I'm sure close to what Mavers was after. I love that bit in the book when he heard a live version of one of their songs taped on an arl portable deck with a knackered C90 cassette and he was adamant that was the sound he wanted.

I've seen him in amsterdam twice and I'd love to have a chat with him, but never said hello, maybe next time.

this is a great version of timeless melody ( they get going after a bit, worth putting up with the shite interview at the beginning ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FswF_rTlkrY

Offline Tricia Dingle

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 07:04:15 pm »
I've just lashed my spare, unread copy of the book onto eBay. 99p starting bid with no reserve.

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes by posting this!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180355688810&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:07:53 pm by Tricia Dingle »

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 08:14:11 pm »
Wow, been listening to the BBC sessions album today. First time I've ever heard it and it's blown me away!  :D
......and could he play!

Offline fox1977

• Anny Roader
    • freepremiershiponline.com
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 10:32:31 pm »
Just ordered the BBC sessions off amazon for a fiver!
http://www.freepremiershiponline.com/ - guide to streaming football online