Author Topic: Any Baseball Lovers Around  (Read 556737 times)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Any Baseball Lovers Around
« Reply #9200 on: October 31, 2019, 04:09:13 am »
Nats about to go into a rebuild though.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9201 on: October 31, 2019, 04:37:08 am »
Just reading more into Game 7 history, the home team was 9-0 between 1979 to 2014.  But 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2019 have all gone to the road team.

Anyway, if the Nats were going to win the World Series anyway, a nicer scenario would've been Ryan Zimmerman hitting a go-ahead home run off Robert Osuna...
King Kenny.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9202 on: October 31, 2019, 10:28:25 am »
First time ever the finals in major leagues[including NBA, NHL] the road team has won all the games in a best of 7 series
#Sausages

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9203 on: October 31, 2019, 10:56:59 am »
The one (only!) good thing about the Nats winning - means that a NL team won the world series, so that is ok by me  8)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9204 on: October 31, 2019, 11:07:49 am »
Well done Washington. Glad for Scherzer. Shame the Expos couldn't have won it all those years ago

Bryce Harper, i wonder what he's thinking right now.

Was my first thought ;D

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #9205 on: October 31, 2019, 04:26:31 pm »
Bryce Harper, i wonder what he's thinking right now.
He got his $300 million - that's all he'll care about.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9206 on: October 31, 2019, 04:53:39 pm »
Nats offered a take it or leave it offer of 300/10 years and he turned it down thinking he would get Mike Trout money and signed with the Phillies for 300/14 years.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9207 on: October 31, 2019, 06:19:22 pm »
is the right answer.

Really happy for the Nats, great comeback from 3-2 down in series and 2-0 down in 7th inning in last game.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9208 on: October 31, 2019, 09:07:23 pm »
AJ Hinch WTF was he thinking.

He was getting Pelters from Buck and Smoltz.
Third time around the order normally when SP start to struggle but in your highest leverage situation you dont bring your best RP or Cole? Like what. Harris struggle last night and had pitched a lot. Or you know trust Grienke more.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9209 on: November 1, 2019, 04:23:38 pm »
Watching World Series highlights, biggest issue for the Astros, the amount of runners they had left stranded on base, in scoring positions, it was at least 10 alone in game 7
#Sausages

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9210 on: November 1, 2019, 08:22:01 pm »
Carlos Beltran is to become the New York Mets new manager  ::) 

(The only good bit to this story is that it looks like Terry Collins will come back to NY too).

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9211 on: November 5, 2019, 11:50:29 am »
State of Kurt Suzuki at the White House yesterday  :wanker  Ryan Zimmerman too, what a shame. 

Suzuki had to put his Twitter on private after his behaviour and his support of Trump yesterday, guess he must have been getting quite a few unfriendly reactions  ;) 

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #9212 on: November 10, 2019, 10:50:53 am »
Cubs Cardinals will be the teams playing in London next year (June 13-14th)

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #9213 on: November 10, 2019, 02:34:36 pm »
Will never top the Yankees games they had in June.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9214 on: November 11, 2019, 09:55:49 am »
Cubs will have plenty of fans... although I hear the price of the tickets is steep as
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #9215 on: November 15, 2019, 02:29:11 pm »

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9216 on: November 20, 2019, 12:42:47 pm »
Astros WS 2017 champions*
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9217 on: November 20, 2019, 08:17:55 pm »
I'm very interested by this story.

Steroids? No problem. Stealing signs - death penalty.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9218 on: November 20, 2019, 09:22:03 pm »
I saw a video on the NY Post today, showing Beltran's at bat and you can clearly here the banging before the pitcher throws, they had a system for how many bangs for a fastball,slider, change up.

It's pretty damning on the video.

Dodgers want action and they seem to be the loudest voices at the GM's meeting this week, Darvish 17 era in those two WS starts and Astros claimed he was tipping his pitches ,Dodgers apparently watched the videos a few times and saw no evidence he was tipping his pitches.

Darvish might have grievance as those starts in the WS got him a lower than expected contract in Free Agency.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:26:44 pm by RedSince86 »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9219 on: November 21, 2019, 05:50:57 pm »
White Sox have signed Grandal on a 4 year $73m deal. I think this is a good move; he's known as an elite pitch framer and handler of a staff so he should help their young pitchers.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9220 on: December 9, 2019, 10:42:27 pm »
Strasburg back to the Nationals on a 7 year $245m pact with a full no trade clause. Ordinarily after resigning a CY Young contender and standout playoff performer you'd think they have to feel good, however I feel like the Nationals have panicked and grossly overpaid here. For all Strasburg is a bona fide stud when he's actually on the mound getting him out there enough times can be a challenge. He's not indestructible, not by a long chalk. He's pitched 200 frames twice in his entire career and he's 31. Not like they can even trade him either. This seems like one where he could be good for the next 2 years but then blow up big time.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2019, 10:45:06 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9221 on: December 10, 2019, 03:45:23 am »
Gerrit Cole must be rubbing his hands together now. As good as Strasburg is Cole is simply better and is probably going to be able to demand something approaching $40m a season  :o

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9222 on: December 11, 2019, 08:44:26 am »
The bullies are back!

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9223 on: December 11, 2019, 11:01:28 am »
Finally a beast right handed power pitcher in Pinstripes, been to long since Clemens.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9224 on: December 11, 2019, 01:36:29 pm »
That's a nice piece of change considering he'll play in about 1/4 of their games! Hope he doesn't blow out his arm because the human arm wasn't meant to throw a baseball. If he struggles, he'll be hearing it from the fans in the South Bronx!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9225 on: December 12, 2019, 10:54:09 am »
Big contracts returning in force. Rendon to the Angels on a 7 year $245m deal. Trout and Rendon in the 2 and 3 hole cannot be bettered but they've got a huge amount tied up in position players with no starting pitchers worthy of even being a middle of the rotation hurler on a contender.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9226 on: December 17, 2019, 01:36:14 pm »
Alex Cora, manager of the Red Sox, visited Jurgen and his team.  Interesting article in the Athletic.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1466074/2019/12/17/what-can-liverpool-teach-the-red-sox-alex-cora-went-to-england-to-find-out/

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9227 on: January 13, 2020, 09:08:55 pm »
Houston Astros have fired general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch over the sign stealing scandal, both have been suspended by MLB for the 2020 season
#Sausages

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9228 on: January 13, 2020, 09:42:22 pm »
I don't understand why sign stealing is such a bad thing. It's no different in football from a player being able to decipher what a manager is asking from his team. Why the big drama?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:44:26 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9229 on: January 13, 2020, 10:03:52 pm »
I don't understand why sign stealing is such a bad thing. It's no different in football from a player being able to decipher what a manager is asking from his team. Why the big drama?

Goes against the 'ethical' pure spirit of the game in a technologically sophisticated manner. And yet funnily enough baseball has a long history of analog era sign stealing

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9230 on: January 13, 2020, 10:14:35 pm »

Players/managers can steal signs with the naked eye, it's about the use of technology and a live camera feed that is the huge issue.

It'd almost be the equivalent of a GK having an earpiece in his ear during a PK shootout and being told by staff which way the PK taker is going to go, if there was a way to find out exactly which way the PK taker would go.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9231 on: January 13, 2020, 10:19:46 pm »
Players/managers can steal signs with the naked eye, it's about the use of technology and a live camera feed that is the huge issue.

It'd almost be the equivalent of a GK having an earpiece in his ear during a PK shootout and being told by staff which way the PK taker is going to go, if there was a way to find out exactly which way the PK taker would go.

Good analogy

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9232 on: January 13, 2020, 10:25:24 pm »

It's not the stealing signs that's a bad thing.  It's that they used electronic means to do it.  Stealing signs is as old as the day is long and has always happened and always been accepted.  The fact that they used camera's and the replay room to do it is what is illegal. 

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9233 on: January 13, 2020, 10:31:26 pm »
That title is so tainted.

Such a shame because the Astros built the core of that team with great scouting and drafting and showed you didn't need to spend big.

Dodgers organisation must be so pissed off right now.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9234 on: January 13, 2020, 10:56:56 pm »
And Alex Cora, manager of the Red Sox, is going to get slammed with a big suspension too. 

From the Athletic

“Cora was involved in developing both the banging scheme and utilizing the replay review room to decode and transmit signs,” Manfred said. “Cora participated in both schemes, and through his active participation, implicitly condoned the players’ conduct. I will withhold determining the appropriate level of discipline for Cora until after the DOI completes its investigation of the allegations that the Red Sox engaged in impermissible electronic sign stealing in 2018 while Cora was the manager.”

AJ Hinch did not condone what they were doing but basically turned a blind eye towards it.  If Cora was directly involved, and then did it in Boston, I won't be surprised to see a 2 year, or longer, suspension.  It will definitely be longer then Hinch's is. 

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9235 on: January 13, 2020, 11:34:32 pm »
Cora's toast.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9236 on: January 14, 2020, 07:14:04 pm »
Cora's toast.

Seems like Cora was the mastermind of the whole scheme, & his punishment will be a lot tougher than what Luhnow & Hinch have been given.
#Sausages

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #9237 on: January 15, 2020, 12:39:37 am »
FSG wields the ax - Cora is fired.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9238 on: January 15, 2020, 01:34:49 am »
Makes sense. They need to move on with spring training only a month away.  He was going to be suspended for a minimum of a year anyway.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9239 on: January 16, 2020, 06:23:06 pm »
And the next one gone - Carlos Beltran steps down as Mets manager  ::)

I was a bit unsure about his hiring in the first place (only cos of his lack of experience), but now having really got into the idea, I'm pissed off he's no longer manager!!!

Lots of anger among Mets fans who feel the media basically helped hound him out.

Mets are in such a mess.