Author Topic: Rant of the day  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rant of the day
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2005, 07:25:16 pm »
Having ridden motorbikes for 20 years I learnt a long time ago not to get so close to large vehicles that you can't see ahead.

If you can't see signs because of a lorry (in the same lane) then you're simply too close.

True. I mean if you are in Lane 2 or 3, then you can't see the signs in the inside verge due to HGV obstruction.

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2005, 08:26:49 pm »
As a proportion, there are far more and far worse HGV drivers than car drivers. They cause significantly more delays on the roads due to inadequate driving.

I really don't think that's true at all.

With all the in-cab monitoring, the high visibility of many of the brand name liveries on the side of the trailers, the quality and safety requirements of most haulage contracts and the ever increasing propensity of Mr And Mrs Cut-Out to dial 1-800-EAT-SHIT, complain about a driver and lobby for a freebie or a payoff, the standard of most HGV drivers is yay higher than the standard of most moron Motorway car drivers.

The problem, such as it is, is that the driver is stuck right at the sharp end of the trade-off between the conflicting demands of the modern consumer, the manufacturer, the retailer, the authorities and their employer.

And it all starts with the consumer (you and me) who simply has to have instant everything at cut throat prices.

PS - Shouldn't this really be the rant of yesterday. Or sumfink.

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2005, 09:14:11 pm »

If you can't see signs because of a lorry (in the same lane) then you're simply too close.

You could just have a lorry up your arse as well but...

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2021, 09:19:53 am »
<rant>

Didnt feel like opening a new thread. I just wanted to get it out.

So.. When I was in my bachelor studies, 2004-08, we took a month off (In Jan 2005) to volunteer at a remote village in India. It was home to about 400 people and they had some requirements. Some we achieved, some we forwarded the application to the municipality and some reuired heavy funding and as students we didnt have any money so directly shelved off.

What we achieved..
1. Local farmers market was cleaned and reopened
2. Local lake was deweeded and desilted
3. Community space was cleaned and reusable

What we forwarded to the local municipality and was successful
1. Local farmers market (from #1) was officially recognised and was the nucleus for the neighbouring 12 villages in 2005
2. Bus stops were requested. This application was approved in 2007
3. Community space was sheltered fully in 2008

What was too costly and was straight off rejected
1. Fencing for the chicken coop
2. Community building
3. A survey of the neighbouring river to draw irrigating water from

The population of this village increased from 400 to 1500 in 2017. I felt proud.

But yesterday I recieved a text from a friend who visited this village and learnt that...

1. The local farmers market, that was closed last year to the pandemic, is not inhabitable due to the sheer number of weeds and reptiles
2. The community shelter got damaged in the monsoon last year and that entire area is now cordoned off
3. The lake is a breeding place for mosquitos and insects and reptiles

Basically step 0 again. Felt like shit after reading the message. I dont feel like working today at all. Feeling so meh and bleh!

</rant>
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:24:31 am by ChaChaMooMoo »

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2021, 11:38:16 am »
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:40:51 am by Medellin »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.