Author Topic: Smicer  (Read 2137 times)

Pheeny

Smicer
« on: February 21, 2002, 02:10:26 pm »
Is it time to let Vladi go?The guy has got loads of talent and when he plays well he can win us games but he has just not been consistant enough.Also when he loses the ball he just seems to give up and leave it to the rest of the midfield to fight to get the ball back.Maybe things will improve when GH gets back,lets hope so,as I've said the guy has loads of talent and its such as shame to let it go to waste.
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Smicer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2002, 03:12:32 pm »
He did seem to be up for the match last night and worked quite well with riise on the left, but obviously one match doesn't make somebody a good or bad player.

Offline Denzil

• Anny Roader
  • The king has returned!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2002, 12:42:53 am »
has to go he lacks the killer instinct, plays well at home normally then crap away from home time to ring the changes im afraid how much longer can we give him??

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2002, 01:12:52 am »
He did seem to be up for the match last night and worked quite well with riise on the left, but obviously one match doesn't make somebody a good or bad player.

I thought he did nothing to change the game last night. We needed a bit of cutting edge upfront, so maybe Anelka or Jari should have been brought on instead of Smicer.

Problem with Smicer is when he plays well he is amazing. But he has too many ordinary games, which is why he doesnt play that much. And he gets injured far too easily.

If he had the consistency of, say Henchoz, then we would have a world star in our team. Unfortunatley it isnt the case.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2002, 02:13:34 pm »

Problem with Smicer is when he plays well he is amazing. But he has too many ordinary games, which is why he doesnt play that much. And he gets injured far too easily.

Since it seems to be midfield discussion day...davrouk sums up Vladi's game in one phrase. During the Gala game Big Ron described him as flimsy during the commentary, and I would tend to agree. We seem to have lots of "nice guys" in midfield, but that ain't enough.

Michael

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2002, 02:39:34 pm »
Sell him, lightweight clown, who although has lots of talent, never seems to show enuf of it.

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2002, 03:28:28 pm »
Im still not convinced by Vladi, goes from the sublime to the ridiculous and cant put two good games back to back.

Give Heggem a try on the right, he is quick and can defend a bit, no worse than Murphy.

Does anybody else think Gary Mac may have had his day, sad but possibly true?
A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2002, 04:58:23 pm »
Think Vladi's only got twelve months left on his contract after this season, so the summer will probably be the last time we would get any money for him. Thought he did really well last season but appears to have gone backwards this season. He certainly does not fit into a traditional midfield role and is probably at his best "floating" behind two strikers.

I don't think we have got the most out of Vladi's talent and am not sure he suits our "style". I don't neccesarily want to see him go but think that if we reach the end of this season without a new contract we probably will, and I am not sure that he is the player to take us too next level that GH undoubtedly aspires to.

I hope that Vlad does not decide to sit on his contract as it would undoubtedly cause resentment if he were to sit it out waiting for a free. He would be available to sign for other clubs on 1st Jan.

I don't think there would be any shortage of takers for Vlad, especially given his excellent goalscoring rate at Internationl level. It maybe interesting to see of Patrick comes in to take him back to Lens!
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2002, 06:48:34 pm »
I'd love to shout the odds for Smicer but then something always stops me... this time it's a vivid memory of Wednesday's daisy cutter of a shot at the Kop end.

Lack of killer instinct is right... the defence opened up infront of him as Riise went on the overlap. So he cut inside (good) but was looking to pass first and then scuffed the shot. Picture Digger in the same position. He'd have lashed one on target.

So... of all the players on that other thread I'd have most reservations about Smicer.
Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2002, 07:21:08 pm »
I've always backed Vladimir and thought he was a very underrated member of our team, I also thought he did well when he came on against Gala, but I seem to be in a minority on that one.

However I am developing some serious doubts about him, I agree that this season he does seem to have gone backwards and he has remained as injury prone as ever.

He has always been inconsistent but this year he has turned in some truly shocking performances and very few outstanding ones to offset them.

I'm also starting to have genuine doubts as to whether we'll ever see Paddy back to his best again, he just hasn't looked the same player this season  and you can't help but wonder if all of his injuries have caught up with him.

Offline LFC_4_EVA

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • Red All Over The Land
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2002, 09:46:59 pm »
Originally Posted by davrouk:
I thought he did nothing to change the game last night. We needed a bit of cutting edge upfront, so maybe Anelka or Jari should have been brought on instead of Smicer.

Anelka isn't allowed to play for us in the tournament, dunno why, only reason i can think of is that he played for PSG already in europe. Can't be nothing to do with he's not registered, cause Milan Barros was allowed to play, and anelka was here before him.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2002, 01:35:08 am »

Anelka isn't allowed to play for us in the tournament, dunno why, only reason i can think of is that he played for PSG already in europe. Can't be nothing to do with he's not registered, cause Milan Barros was allowed to play, and anelka was here before him.
Thanks, Id completley forgotten that.  :D