Author Topic: Henchoz Plays a Blinder at Fulham  (Read 2044 times)

Offline GavBelfast

• Anny Roader
Henchoz Plays a Blinder at Fulham
« on: March 2, 2002, 09:39:32 pm »
I've just watched about 20 minutes of highlights of the Fulham game on RTE.

Clinical opportunism got us the goals, but REALLY hard work got us the points.

Step forward, Stephane Henchoz.

His tackle on Saha in our box mid-way through the first half was exceptional in what looks like it was a brilliant performance.  He has war wounds from that tackle alone - it saved a certain goal and crowned what some reports are saying was his best game for us.  Could well have been.    

Offal gives our MoM to Anelka.  Don't believe a word of it - Henchoz defended like his life depended on it.  I'm sure anyone who saw the whole game will agree.

What was Hyypia booked for?  There's a rarity.  

Just a word on Litmanen - nine out of ten players would have missed that chance at the end.  He placed it so well.

Well-played, Jari.  You'll be a super-sub yet!

And well done all the lads.  You never know!  

« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

hoonin

Re: Henchoz Plays a Blinder at Fulham
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2002, 10:13:25 pm »
Offal gave Anelka MoM?? No doubt goodwitch will overide that and award it to her Steph ;)

Looking forward to seeing the highlights later. I'm off to a party at a pub, but will be slipping out about 10.30 to catch the goals :)

Offline John Barnes, Anchorman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2002, 10:37:14 pm »
I listened to it on Century (Alan Kennedy commentating.  He's good) and we sounded very lucky.  Fulham hit the post and the bar, we held on to an early goal.  Sounded a bit like Derby away in that we failed to finish off opposition we should be beating comfortably after such a good start.  We were lucky.  I suppose the other similarity is that with Derby (a) is that we got all three points.   Long may it continue.

I STILL think unless we address changes in the tactics for home games we won't win it, but it's going to be close.

Apart from anything else, it's quite exciting this year.

hoonin

« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2002, 10:40:02 pm »
Your right, somethings got to give at home, but what do you suggest?

Offline Dave_W

• Left abruptly during the cheese course
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2002, 11:04:00 pm »
Jari - for that defence-splitting pass that we don't seem to be able to come up with at home

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2002, 11:24:43 pm »
I don't think Jari's the answer to the Anfield problem.  He plays behind the two strikers but centrally, and the home games are already too congested this season.  What we need is what everyone has been saying - more width to stretch home games - using the whole of the pitch instead of just the middle third (widthwise).  Although I don't rate him that highly individually, the return of Barmby might make a difference.  If Riise can hug the left touchline more at Anfield (or even Heskey who did it well at 0-1 against Everton) and Barmby the right then we might have the answer.

It's not the width alone that would solve it - but the extra variety it would offer the attacks.  Teams know we are going to try and pass through them centrally, so the most obvious tactic is to crowd that area.  I don't reckon Jari would change that much and he's very frustrating to watch at times.  He would make us even more dependent on the intricate passing that looks so good when it works (Anelka v Everton) but over a game is not producing enough chances.  We have quick players - let's utilise them by using the space more.  That effectively means making the pitch bigger by playing across the whole width of the field.

Of course there's nothing new in all of that, but it seems the answer.  For most home games this season from now on in I'd go for Barmby, Hamann, Gerrard, Riise (or Murphy in the centre if Gerrard is injured).

That's why I think Jari Litmanen is not the antidote.

Offline Dave_W

• Left abruptly during the cheese course
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2002, 11:32:01 pm »
Could well be right Ben - seem to remember Jari playing a couple of games earlier in the season when nothing much happened for him.

If we did play him, he would be played off a target man, rather than in midfield.  As we tend to go for two strikers out of Owen/Heskey/ Anelka, Jari misses out (that's my guess at least).

Then, if we also had the width in midfield to stretch opposing defences, it should open up spaces for Jari to exploit with his passing ability.

Basically, I can see it requiring both elements - definitely in need of greater width, and Barmby will help there, but also more 'intelligent' passing than the long hoof to Heskey or Anelka that we seem to resort too often to at home.

Be interesting to see what the team sheet looks like on Wednesday, with Jari having a goal and an assist and Nico a couple of goals in their last two games.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2002, 11:40:23 pm »
Jari admirers could do better than quote his goal today as it sounded like Van Der Sar was on the halfway line (I should wait and see it first I suppose).

If you want two wingers, two strikers AND Jari Litmanen in the side that is very ambitious.  It would also mean leaving out Hamann or Gerrard in the long term, neither of which are acceptable alternatives as far as I'm concerned.

On Wednesday I think they'll go for Heskey and Owen.  Personally I wouldn't complain with any combination of two of Heskey, Owen and Anelka.  All three are playing well.  Maybe even Heskey playing as an out and out winger on the right with no real defensive duties to hold him back.  On the other hand Newcastle are probably too good a team to risk that against.  But in other games.........

I don't think there's room for Litmanen though.

Every thread seems to end up as a Jari discussion   :)

Offline dan17

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2002, 11:54:54 pm »
I posted a topic about a month ago cos i had to let everyone know how highly i rate the under-rated henchoz. today he was supurb but thats what i have come to expect from him. what a great signing from le boss. i bet most people raised their eye brows when we got him, me included but he is a top class defender and i wouldn't swap him for anyone. well done henchoz keep up the great work!
"The very word Anfield means more to me than i can describe" Bill Shankly

treble2001

« Reply #9 on: March 3, 2002, 12:06:15 am »
I listened to Radio City, and John Aldo said after a Danny Murphy through ball

"That's a horny ball that.  Well, there's sexy football so that's a horny ball"

;D ;D

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 3, 2002, 12:32:17 am »
He was awesome. Brilliant defensive performance.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #11 on: March 3, 2002, 12:58:50 am »
Cant really comment on it too much coz i only saw ITVs shite highlights but hes been awesome all season - better than Sami even!!

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2002, 01:34:07 am »
Just thought I'd say a big congrats to the lads. A much needed? three points and they delivered. Great news to wake up to.

Offline Ian_Ian_K

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: March 3, 2002, 03:02:07 am »
I agree he's been even better than Sami this season, which takes some doing, especially outstanding during our dodgy period.
Just goes to show how knowledgeable LFC fans are.
During the last close season, when we were being strongly linked with Sol Campbell, the general opinion amongst most Reds fans, was that we didn't want him, not cos we didn't rate him, but cos it would break up the brilliant partnership we already had.
We could sign someone who is in theory better than Henchoz, but in practice, it could ruin a fantastic partnership.
If it aint broke, don't fix it!