Author Topic: Everton 1 Liverpool 0 - post-match comments, analysis, reports  (Read 12274 times)

Offline clash city rocker

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Everton 1 Liverpool 0 - post-match comments, analysis, reports
« Reply #280 on: December 11, 2004, 07:34:21 pm »
no, from my school, teacher! old reds club is it?

Offline DannyD

• Son Of Millie Tant. General Secretary of the National Union of Ice Cream Miners
  • Legacy Fan
  • 60 Years torment for Palestinians make it the last
« Reply #281 on: December 11, 2004, 07:38:42 pm »
Some deluded 'fans' on here. Funny how all our players are more than good enough when were at home and playing as we should. The problem is how we play away from home not neccessarily the personnel. Yes we can get better players (and no doubt will soon enough) but this bunch at present has proven to be good enough, more than good enough at times...but one more loss AWAY from home and suddenly theyre not of Liverpool standard.   ::)

Me and a few lads had a word about it a while back; the problem is in away mentality (oops i used a Rafa word) ....nothing else. Once that changes the points scoring away from home will too.

Chill for the time being though, plenty of home games coming up.  :wave

mentality was the key today you could see that from the start ...IMHO Stevie G has thrown a spanner in the works with his " honest" outburst just hours before the most important game of the season for us Wednesday night ...he didn't play well that night and his goal overshadowed what was a poor performance by him ..today he was worse and me thinks he has upset the dressing room badly. and why not  he is saying  the players he has around him are not good enough. That will go down a bomb at Melwood. Carra allegedly gave Steven a smack in the mouth during the European Championships for even thinking about going .... if I was SG I would go and buy one of those masks ice hockey goalies wear ......Ferguson got shut of Ince because he thought he was a Big Time Charlie ... is Gerrard acting any better.
I lay before you a plan of freedom - adopt it, and you rid the world of inequality, misery, and crime. A martyr in your cause, I am become the prophet of your salvation.

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2004, 08:11:58 pm »
mentality was the key today you could see that from the start ...IMHO Stevie G has thrown a spanner in the works with his " honest" outburst just hours before the most important game of the season for us Wednesday night ...he didn't play well that night and his goal overshadowed what was a poor performance by him ..today he was worse and me thinks he has upset the dressing room badly. and why not  he is saying  the players he has around him are not good enough. That will go down a bomb at Melwood. Carra allegedly gave Steven a smack in the mouth during the European Championships for even thinking about going .... if I was SG I would go and buy one of those masks ice hockey goalies wear ......Ferguson got shut of Ince because he thought he was a Big Time Charlie ... is Gerrard acting any better.

"Stevie G" moaned his arse off today - especially in the first half. He might be a great player but the sentiments above are correct. Why should he be making statements in the press like that? It's OK having those opinions privately and seeing Benitez or Moores or Parry but to effectively say "most of the rest of the team are not fit to lace my boots" is going to piss people off. Heard the other day that Gerrard was supposed to have been "gutted" that the Chelsea move never came off AND blamed the stick and death threats his family got for calling off the move. OK if he wants to go to Chelsea in the summer. Arrange it now. But button your pie-hole with the arrogant, stupid, divisive comments.
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: December 11, 2004, 08:15:00 pm »
Shots from outside the box practice for mr C Kirkland esq this week.
That's all.
We matched them the rest of the time and played better football.

Fuck em.
Yep.

Offline Forever Red

• Forever banned...
  • Kemlynite
  • Shankly's dynasty lives on................
« Reply #284 on: December 11, 2004, 08:16:56 pm »
Josemi is not a Liverpool standard player. Riise is not a left back or a left midfielder. Only Kewell, Carragher and Hyypia gave a shit.

Oh and Kirkland is shit.  >:(

We lost the game when Rafa made all the changes to Wednesday nights team,  dropping Alonso and Finnan was a fatal error which gave the initiative to the blues before a ball had been kicked. 
Gerrard had a bad game, lost possession too many times and was worse in the second half when he dropped back to midfield, some of his long ball passing was diabolical. Josemi is not good enough to wear a red shirt.  Pongolle is not a right winger and Hamman should not have been taken off.   
All in all we had a really bad day at the office; Rafa needs to do the same as the Mancs and play his best eleven all the time rather than tinkering with the team as he does, only then will we show a sustained improvement.  I cannot wait until the start of the January transfer window as we need to recruit top quality players eg, Anelka, Aimar & Ayala will do for starters.  ANY VIEWS ON THIS?

Offline TRF

• Anny Roader
  • Ukrainian and Liverpool FC fan ? Aha that's me
    • RedBeasts
« Reply #285 on: December 11, 2004, 08:24:17 pm »
Ok if Rafa wanted Hamann and someone else to tackle vs. Everton midfield then why he used Dioa but not Welsh???
and if he ever want to use him?(even in Carling Cup games he is on the bench)

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #286 on: December 11, 2004, 08:27:33 pm »
I'm going to be controversial here and criticise the manager. :o

Not because he didn't select certain players but without question his team selections/substitutions were influenced by the fact we have a game on Tuesday night. What happened to focusing on one game at a time?

Anyway enough about Rafa, let me have a moan at some of the players:

Josemi - I don't think anyone needs me to point out just how truly gash he was today. I've been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt after his first few games looked promising but I'm starting to think that his recent performances are going to be the rule and not the exeption. I suppose that's what you get for £2m these days.

Salif Diao - I suppose that's what you get for £5m these days. See the other thread. To be scathing twice in one day would be just cruel.

Chris Kirkland - I've had enough of him for now. Back to the reserves (or on loan). He needs to learn his trade but I feel he shouldn't be doing it in our first team. People will say how can he get first team experience if he's not in the first team? Easy, let him get it elsewhere and bring him back when he's ready. We need an established goalie between the sticks. I have seen absolutely nothing to convince me he has 'special powers' that some folk were waffling on about 3 months ago.

Rant over.

Thought Sami played well. :P

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #287 on: December 11, 2004, 08:32:37 pm »
I'm going to be controversial here and criticise the manager. :o

Not because he didn't select certain players but without question his team selections/substitutions were influenced by the fact we have a game on Tuesday night. What happened to focusing on one game at a time?

Anyway enough about Rafa, let me have a moan at some of the players:

Josemi - I don't think anyone needs me to point out just how truly gash he was today. I've been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt after his first few games looked promising but I'm starting to think that his recent performances are going to be the rule and not the exeption. I suppose that's what you get for £2m these days.

Salif Diao - I suppose that's what you get for £5m these days. See the other thread. To be scathing twice in one day would be just cruel.

Chris Kirkland - I've had enough of him for now. Back to the reserves (or on loan). He needs to learn his trade but I feel he shouldn't be doing it in our first team. People will say how can he get first team experience if he's not in the first team? Easy, let him get it elsewhere and bring him back when he's ready. We need an established goalie between the sticks. I have seen absolutely nothing to convince me he has 'special powers' that some folk were waffling on about 3 months ago.

Rant over.

I would agree with all of the above but I wish Sami would have grabbed that TWAT FERGUSON - THE BIRDMAN OF BARLINNIE by THE BOLLOCKS AND SWUNG HIM AROUND HIS HEAD. I FUCKING HATE FERGUSON.

:D

Jesus - I need to CALM DOWN.

( I also worry that Rafa might fanny around with the team for the Watford semi's and fuck up our chances of getting to Cardiff ).  :butt
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #288 on: December 11, 2004, 08:37:48 pm »
One game at a time should be the only approach in football, if your best 11 are available they should start. Had our 'best' team, started and took something from todays game, we would have gone into Tuesdays game with a settled team, and on the back of a good result.  The Portsmouth game is now a must win match, and we'll have to start with yet another changed line up.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 08:40:14 pm by Alloy »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: December 11, 2004, 08:38:52 pm »
they're still not going to win anything. Bollocks to the blue shite bastards.

I thought they'd won something today? ???

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: December 11, 2004, 08:38:55 pm »
Josemi is not a Liverpool standard player. Riise is not a left back or a left midfielder. Only Kewell, Carragher and Hyypia gave a shit.

Oh and Kirkland is shit.  >:(

The aren't just as much as yer fucking not a liverpool standard fucking supporter.

Am sorry but all this fucking nicey-nice approach, and I wont cos I'll regret it. Bollocks to it. If some tit makes stupid fucking comments he deserves the fucking stick.

At the end of the day lad who the fuck are yer to question Rafa Benitez? What have yer won apart from probably leagues on champ man to fucking say that the manager is playing sub-fucking-standard players?

Some players may not have played well, but this shite is simply that. Fucking load of bollocks. And don't worry this'll be deleted in a couple of minutes no doubt!!!
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline Chris.

• Official Panini Swapper
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: December 11, 2004, 08:42:36 pm »
Allright Ian lad  :wave

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: December 11, 2004, 08:45:00 pm »
Ian - While some of Rashid's comments are a bit stupid, going by what you say, no-one should ever have anything to say about Benitez because after all, what do we know? If people will praise him and plenty do, then surely they have the right to say when they disagree with him. It works both ways. I think he got it wrong today with resting players and not playing our own game. I might not have won anything as a manager but so what, I'm entitled to my opinion and it doesn't make me a dickhead.

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #293 on: December 11, 2004, 08:47:26 pm »
Perspective

Pretty crap basically but I'm not overly depressed.  4 of next 5 games at home and only away is against West Brom.  Take 12 or 13 points from these and we'll be laughing and the league table will look a whole lot better.  The only difficult away game left this season is at Highbury so our away form should pick up from here on in.

Wouldn't blame Steve Finnan if he asked to leave in the January transfer window because since he won his place back from Josemi he hasn't put a foot wrong and has been one of our top three players each time.

Think Dudek should be back in starting Tuesday.  Was all for Kirkland taking over as number 1 but the last 3 goals we've conceded have been down to him and even the one before them against Arsenal he went down far too early.  Looked particularly shaky coming for crosses today.

Best players today for me were Pongolle, Hyypia and Carragher.  Kewell did alright but the rest were pretty poor.

Only good points were:

La Bamba coming out loud and clear on the TV about 10 minutes into the second half
Josemi picking up a fifth caution and so missing a game at least (Is it 2 because he's already served a suspension for his red at Fulham?)
Rafa refusing to use tiredness and injuries as an excuse

"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: December 11, 2004, 08:49:37 pm »
Rafa wasn't saving them for Tuesday - he was 'resting' them as he believed fit "lesser" players would offer more than "tired" superior players. He was trying to win this game, not thinking of Tuesday.

Alonso is still coming to terms with the frequency of games; Baros wasn't fit enough to be risked. Josemi was fresher than Finnan. Biscan was injured. Pongolle and Mellor both earned their starts with great cameos in midweek.

We finished a monumental effort against Olympiakos less than 72 hours before this match. Everton had nothing to do but prepare for this game. We had a bigger game to contend with, then our players would have rested on Thursday, leaving less time to work on tactics, etc.

As for Kirkland, he had two players in his way, and it curled past them. For all three goals this week he's been unsighted. But he has to get himself into a position to see the strike, wherever it's from. But he's still learning.

Offline Ian-TN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: December 11, 2004, 08:50:36 pm »
Allright Ian lad  :wave

See above  :)

How was it lad?

Ian - While some of Rashid's comments are a bit stupid, going by what you say, no-one should ever have anything to say about Benitez because after all, what do we know? If people will praise him and plenty do, then surely they have the right to say when they disagree with him. It works both ways. I think he got it wrong today with resting players and not playing our own game. I might not have won anything as a manager but so what, I'm entitled to my opinion and it doesn't make me a dickhead.

Mate, am the first to say if I believe he got it wrong. Which for the record I think he did today. But the way he sticks his points across and the way he acts through this does me fuckin 'ead in. It's petty and childish and today of all day's I couldn't be arsed biting me tongue about it.

Offline Chris.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: December 11, 2004, 08:54:08 pm »
See above  :)

How was it lad?

Shite. Best bit was the rafa song. Was on Sky at the end apparantly looking rather glum  :(

Offline Ian-TN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: December 11, 2004, 08:56:48 pm »
Was yer?!

I think rather glum is a fucking understatement though. Speaking to a blue in the pub before saying the atmosphere was great first half especially, a lot of banter-songs between us.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: December 11, 2004, 08:57:38 pm »
Mate, am the first to say if I believe he got it wrong. Which for the record I think he did today. But the way he sticks his points across and the way he acts through this does me fuckin 'ead in. It's petty and childish and today of all day's I couldn't be arsed biting me tongue about it.

Fair enough.

Offline Chris.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: December 11, 2004, 08:58:41 pm »
Yeh was quite good the atmosphere, was electric for the first 15 mins then they were quiet til Carsley scored and right to the end they were loud. Didnt hear much from the Gwladys Street tho  ???

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: December 11, 2004, 09:01:44 pm »
Yeh was quite good the atmosphere, was electric for the first 15 mins then they were quiet til Carsley scored and right to the end they were loud. Didnt hear much from the Gwladys Street tho  ???

Do we ever?

Offline Ian-TN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: December 11, 2004, 09:03:46 pm »
Beaten to the reply. Yer hardly ever hear them in there.

Offline redjimwest

• Main Stander
  • siempre fidelis
« Reply #302 on: December 11, 2004, 09:11:49 pm »

He was fucking superb, wasn't he?
Randy.... I am the liquor

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: December 11, 2004, 09:13:57 pm »
I don't think I've read another comment about Ferguson's headbutt on Sami. It was more his shoulder that made contact, but it was far worse than Lee Hendrie's the other week.

:wanker

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #304 on: December 11, 2004, 09:19:26 pm »
...and what about sky? Fuck me, it was the bluenose support day, First we had the presenter and George Graham wanting an everton victory then we had to put up with co commentator Tony 'biased midget fuck' cottee for 90 minutes.

What happened to neutrality? Why didnt they have marwood or lord forbid even Alan Smith???

>:(
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #305 on: December 11, 2004, 09:27:28 pm »
Was yer?!

He was and if I knew how to take a screen cap , or whatever clever people say, I would
Never give up

Offline Chris.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: December 11, 2004, 09:32:29 pm »
 ;D   Hope it wasnt too long or close!

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: December 11, 2004, 09:32:32 pm »
I don't think I've read another comment about Ferguson's headbutt on Sami. It was more his shoulder that made contact, but it was far worse than Lee Hendrie's the other week.

:wanker

I thought he just walked into him, with his chest and I also thought Hyypia went down rather easily.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #308 on: December 11, 2004, 09:33:33 pm »
three matches in seven days is a tough ask of any team, particularly one struggling with injury difficulties, but i think i'm actually glad that we have the make-up with Pompey this Tuesday, and that it's at home.

the fallout from today's loss is likely to be as much emotional as it is physical, and an early chance to get back on the pitch and get some confidence back is a good thing.

Portsmouth have held up very well after Harry Redknapp's strange shenanigans, but i'm pretty confident that we'll respond Tuesday night at Anfield.

squad rotation is always tough to believe in after a result like today's, but i think Rafa is on the right track with getting certain players a bit of rest, particularly because we are still in four competitions.

they've rallied at home and delivered the goods several times already this season, let's see what happens Tuesday night...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: December 11, 2004, 09:33:46 pm »
He was and if I knew how to take a screen cap , or whatever clever people say, I would

If you've got a pc tv type thingy, press print screen. Next to F12, i assume i saw you on the box Chris, despite never having met you or anything.  ;D

Offline Ian-TN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: December 11, 2004, 09:41:46 pm »

Half remember seenin a red at the end but wasn't particularly concentrating at that time on the screen.

Offline Gizmo

• Boys Pen
  • Money talks
« Reply #311 on: December 11, 2004, 10:28:45 pm »
Perspective

Pretty crap basically but I'm not overly depressed.  4 of next 5 games at home and only away is against West Brom.  Take 12 or 13 points from these and we'll be laughing and the league table will look a whole lot better.  The only difficult away game left this season is at Highbury so our away form should pick up from here on in.

Wouldn't blame Steve Finnan if he asked to leave in the January transfer window because since he won his place back from Josemi he hasn't put a foot wrong and has been one of our top three players each time.

Think Dudek should be back in starting Tuesday.  Was all for Kirkland taking over as number 1 but the last 3 goals we've conceded have been down to him and even the one before them against Arsenal he went down far too early.  Looked particularly shaky coming for crosses today.

Best players today for me were Pongolle, Hyypia and Carragher.  Kewell did alright but the rest were pretty poor.

Only good points were:

La Bamba coming out loud and clear on the TV about 10 minutes into the second half
Josemi picking up a fifth caution and so missing a game at least (Is it 2 because he's already served a suspension for his red at Fulham?)
Rafa refusing to use tiredness and injuries as an excuse

my thoughts exactly - keep the faith - we will be fine - just hold tight and enjoy the ride.  Incidently at the end of Dec 2003 Charlton were in the last champions league spot with Fulham right behind.  Everton are simply this seasons Charlton in disguise.  Hopefully next season we will be saying they are last seasons West Brom in disguise :)

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
« Reply #312 on: December 11, 2004, 10:43:51 pm »
Still remember this loss after a short sleep, but I feel better now. The only concern is we still cannot keep a clean sheet. Rafa keep saying about taking our chances but if the defence cannot keep a clean sheet, we will always be in a problem. Yes it's those who can score goal who win but if you can keep a clean sheet at least you get a point.

Get prepared for Pompey on Tuesday....!!!

Offline ozziestevieg

• Main Stander
  • O Keefey!!!
« Reply #313 on: December 11, 2004, 10:44:42 pm »
fuk i'm gettin sick of LFC  droppin points in EPL....they just can't seem to play away from home.

RAFA, stop playing 2 defensive mids, Diao and Hamaan, pick 1 (i dont give a shit which) or the either by form or have a rotation system worked out...

Come on Liverpool, we are much better than this, let us rise to the challenge before it's 2 late....we want to keep gerrard in the club for life dont we? :-\

heads up from now and let's string a winning streak together eh

CHEERS
from
a very disenchanted Chow
Liverpool FC are the bomb 8)

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #314 on: December 11, 2004, 10:54:32 pm »
;D   Hope it wasnt too long or close!

Both  :P

and then you started texting, so I sent you one to frighten you  :P
Never give up

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #315 on: December 11, 2004, 10:55:22 pm »
U know Im upset about a few things today..

1. We lost
2. We lost against everton
3. We are further from the top of the league
4. We didnt play well

but Im not as pissed off as some of the others on here, think might be something wrong with me. Or maybe just maybe Im growing up becoming more mature thinking things through before commenting (perish the though)
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline LadyLala

• Legacy Fan
  • la dee daa
    • lala's RED world
« Reply #316 on: December 11, 2004, 11:43:19 pm »
Oh well, I'm used to it.
Yah, I do think we need to start clean sheets.
Not being able to score is well.. we've always had that problem, haven't we?
But if we keep clean sheets, it makes things easier.
We're conceding that 1 goal in every match, even if we win... and as a result we have to score more than 1 in order to win.
And the thing here is... if we play only good enough to draw, chances are, we'll lose. If we play only good enough to win narrowly, we'll draw. If we play good enough to thrash, only then we'll win. We'll seldom get the result we deserve due to luck and refs, so we need to play at 110% to get the results.
Cheer up guys.....
We ought to have become used to it by now.
That's life as a Liverpool fan.
Let's look forward to our next win instead.
That's what I always tell myself whenever we lose/draw. The next one will be a win.
I never know how I'm supposed to respond to "What's up?"

Offline Chris.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: December 12, 2004, 01:19:43 pm »
Both  :P

and then you started texting, so I sent you one to frighten you  :P

:boxhead

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #318 on: December 12, 2004, 02:08:00 pm »
Playing Diao is probably the one selection which I have least difficulty in a game like this, I'm not his biggest fan but he can do a job in a game like this and was fully fit and rested.

The selection of Josemi I found more bizarre, he's struggled badly after a bright few games to start with, given that Finnan was on the bench I wouldn't think he was carrying a knock, so I can only speculate that he was rested, but I'm not sure that this was the game to make that decision, if we want to give Finnan a break the Pompey game would have seemed the more logical time to make it simply on the basis of what the game yesterday means (not just emotionally but in the context of the league table) and the fact that we should be able ot put out a stronger team in other areas agaisnt Pompey.

I'm not slating Nunez but I was very surprised that Rafa subbed him into a game like this when he's very much still finding his feet in the PL never mind the kind of pace and aggression you can see in the derby when its finely balanced.

There may well be more to some of the changes and selections than we know but on the face of it I'd say that some of the choices made were a bit bizarre.

As for Kirkland, his confidence seemed to have evaporated yesterday, I just hope we can bounce back from it, its one position I'd like to see us have some stability

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #319 on: December 12, 2004, 02:19:16 pm »
There is a time & place for squad rotation and the merseyside derby ain't it. The time to rest players would have been on Tuesday night. I'd bring Alonso, Dudek and Finnan back in the side for the Portsmouth game. If I was going to rest Steve Finnan in future I'd give David Raven a chance.