Author Topic: Stephen Warnock  (Read 22952 times)

Offline owensy76

• A pain in the arse
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steve Warnock
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2006, 12:21:31 am »
i thought he looked alright today. always very committed when making a tackle which is no mean feat when you consider how unlucky the lad has been with injuries.
don't share the same amazement as vinay does about his thighs though ?? ... i'm free !

hoonin

« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2006, 09:41:30 am »
Thought he was very good today.

He's a left midfielder, not a left back.

Dont think he'd get many more games for us even if he was played at left mid.

He's defo good enough to fulfil a squad place at Liverpool though. Maybe I am just a little blind, but I dont see half the problems with him that others do. Not suggesting he will turn out to be another Alan Kennedy, but on his game he seems capable of playing in tough games and doing well.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2006, 10:05:22 am »
Absent injuries, and with the benefit of seeing his performance in the Newcastle game, it appear to me that it only really makes sense playing Warnock as a left sided midfielder in a wing back formation.  In the 3 man backline, his defensive duties are limited and there is less chance of him being exposed.  At the same time he is not required to be a "winger" type of left sided midfielder, which requires more skill and pace.

While I admire his spirit, he is too limited at present to be a regular, confidence inspiring part of a title challenging back 4.

Offline Sajets

• Red from Estonia
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2006, 10:16:54 am »
I like him and hate him. He is local lad with strenght and will, quite fast, can cross the ball and always looks to overlap and make room for others. But efensively he is quite poor which is down to his poor positioning and not keepeing the line. And his passing on the ground is suspect also.

If we keep that formation, then he will get more games this season. He is miles ahead at getting forward and supporting attack. But he oftel leaves gaps behind. But if we play with 3 CB and 2 eingbacks, then we have enough cover at the back when one of our 2 wingbacks are cought out of position. And with that formation we don't need right winger that much. Kromkamp and Warnock can give us the width with Kewell, Gerrard and Garcia also drifting wide but they are not locked to that position.

Anyway he had superb match and hopefully he starts against Brum.

hoonin

« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2006, 12:00:54 pm »
While I admire his spirit, he is too limited at present to be a regular, confidence inspiring part of a title challenging back 4.

Nah, Phil Neville managed to con people for years. If that inbred twat can manage it then Warnock should be fine.

Offline davemc259

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2006, 12:09:56 pm »
how long does riise have left out? and finnan is he injured or rested for the weekends game? tho i rate warnock (sometimes) still think we are a better/more organised team with Riise and Finnan as Full Backs.
24/08/12 - Thinks certain RAWKites will look very sily come the end of the season with thier relentless slating of Henderson...Tidy, Very Tidy player !!!

Offline Zverko

• Kopite
  • keep it simple stupid
« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2006, 12:11:47 pm »
Warnock just scored his first goal and had a match of his life yesterday.  Was quite poor this season before that, but credit where credit is due.
The King: "The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here"

Offline Lone Wolf

• Kopite
« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2006, 12:43:51 pm »
Have stated earlier in the thread that I think he's only good enough to be a squad player at LFC, but if he keeps playing like he did yesterday (when he gets the chance), thought he was boss (1st half especially), then he's a squad player I'd be more than willing to accept at the club.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Offline D🐶G

• Sworn enemy of C🙀T
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2006, 12:44:27 pm »
Warnock was excellent yesterday, I thought.
Twitter - @ElmDag - 19 League Titles • 8 FA Cups • 9 Football League Cups • 16 FA Charity Shields • 6 UEFA European Cups • 3 UEFA Cups • 4 UEFA European Super Cups • 1 FIFA Club World Cup

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2006, 12:45:35 pm »
He did great yesterday.

He suits wing back because he's decent going forward and positionally it's easier than left back. At wing back you always have to push on to the right midfielder (Solano) safe in the knowledge that your left centre back is covering you defensively.

There's less worrying about covering the centre halves (cos there's 3 of them) and holding the line. At left back Warnock sometimes get stuck between pushing on to his midfielder and tucking in and helping out.

He's also less exposed aerially at wing back on the far post because more often Agger will be taing up that defensive position from a right wing cross.

Probably his best week as a Liverpool player. Good luck to him.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: March 20, 2006, 01:46:56 pm »
Warnock just scored his first goal and had a match of his life yesterday.  Was quite poor this season before that, but credit where credit is due.

To be fair to him, he has been tended to be thrown into big games without much of a lead up and, understandably, has struggled at times.

He was very impressive yesterday.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 01:55:16 pm by DK »

Offline kop1311

• Anny Roader
« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2006, 01:52:13 pm »
Lets give the lad a chance before we throw him on the scrapheap. I like him, he gives everything he has, maybe just needs more time to gain that vital experience.
The past is just the future with the lights on

Offline johnpendo

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #212 on: March 20, 2006, 01:54:12 pm »
He is a defender playing LM so i think he played good i also thhough  he was quite good defensivly not afraid to get stuck in so i reckon he is as good as any LB in the prem if he wants to be
Some people say football is a matter of life and death,I can assure them it is much much more than that

Offline cathy-lfc-taff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2006, 06:12:25 pm »
Loved it when he just kept running for that ball and ended up winning the free kick - proper commitment.
I wish my balls were as big as Dirk's.

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2006, 06:29:12 pm »
Great game by the scouser yesterday. He's been playing much better lately than before that's for sure.
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2006, 12:27:47 am »
Scouser? From Ormskirk? Pffffffffffffffffff.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2006, 04:22:30 am »
One reason I can think of for his performance there is the reduction of defensive duties, knowing that he has Sami to fall on to should things go wrong for a bit, while being freed up to go forward when we attack. This additonal freedom gives him more confidence as I'm sure he must've been aware of his own defensive limitations.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2006, 11:57:27 am »
Warnock's biggest problem has been his positioning - he often gets caught out of position (which is fatal considering Sami's lack of pace to cover) and he has sometimes struggled to play the offiside trap. These things Riise does much better, so rightly he is our first pick LB.

That said, there's no reason why Rafa can't iron out these problems in Warnock's play and then he would be a very good LB indeed. Traore's problems, which as I see them are a basic lack of ball control and a general lack of self-confidence may be harder for Rafa to fix at this level.

So, for me, definitely Warnock as 2nd choice LB after Riise. I hope he confounds his critics in the same way that Finnan did (and Carra for some) and becomes a long standing servant of the club. He certainly has the heart for it.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2006, 02:53:33 pm »
he is certainly a useful squad player. we need guys like him who are totally committed to the club and prepared to work tirelessly whenever they are called upon. He wont get unhappy in the first time with not being first choice, cause all he ever wanted was to play for LFC and he is happy doing that. Warnock still  managed 21 starts this season, and 5 appearances as a sub. For a squad player that is rather much - compared with the 29 starts Micheal Carrick got for Tottenham so far and he is an anchor in their team, it shows the need we have for a big squad.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2006, 11:44:03 pm »
I am one of Warnocks biggest critics, but I think he did good against Newcastle, one of his absolute best matches for Liverpool the way I see it.

Credit where credit is due ;)
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
Stephen Warnock
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2016, 10:03:28 am »
He's still playing! 

Signed a 1 year contract with Wigan Athletic on their promotion to the Championship.
He played there this year on loan from Derby County

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36412281

“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Stephen Warnock
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2018, 10:27:57 am »
Just saw he is retiring at the end of this season. Christ how time flies as it only seem like yesterday when I was thinking this lad would be quite successful at the club. Hats off to him as still had a fine career and went to the 4 corners of the country trading his wares.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2018, 10:43:24 am »
Can be very happy with his career, I'd say - played 150-200 Premier League games, picked up a couple of international caps, became a captain in the second tier, and would no doubt be able to put together a fantastic 'fantasy' squad of team mates.

Worth remembering that his senior career began following two leg breaks in a short space of time too - must have had some fantastic talent for the Club to have shown faith in him and brought him into the fold at that stage.

His celebration for his goal again Fulham was absolutely belting - looking forward to Andy Robertson taking his turn in the coming weeks...!

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2018, 03:38:29 pm »
Best of luck to the fella on his post-football endeavors. A solid right back for us whom I was sorry to see leave us.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43759943
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #224 on: May 2, 2018, 12:12:12 pm »
Best of luck to the fella on his post-football endeavors. A solid right back for us whom I was sorry to see leave us.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43759943

Wasn't he a left back?
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #225 on: May 2, 2018, 12:29:53 pm »
He was on 5live this morning previewing tonight's game, think I have heard him as a co summariser or whatever they are called on there too.

Offline andy84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We're on the march with Jurgen's army
« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2018, 07:58:43 pm »
TAW have done a fantastic interview with him recently following his retirement. Some great stories about LFC an other teams' managers and really good insight into life as a professional footballer.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2018, 08:16:47 pm »
TAW have done a fantastic interview with him recently following his retirement. Some great stories about LFC an other teams' managers and really good insight into life as a professional footballer.
Well worth the listen - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fascinating insight into how players careers take twists and turns based on their relationships (with their managers, other players and agents)

To think that if his agent had done his job properly he would have rejoined us

Offline andy84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We're on the march with Jurgen's army
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2018, 10:22:14 pm »
Well worth the listen - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fascinating insight into how players careers take twists and turns based on their relationships (with their managers, other players and agents)

To think that if his agent had done his job properly he would have rejoined us

That was the saddest part of the interview, wasn't it, as it would have meant everything to him. Ged doesn't come out of that story well although I guess that's only Warnock's side of the story. Stephen seems like a really nice fella though and I hope to see and hear more from him in the media now his playing days are over.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #229 on: May 18, 2018, 10:33:15 pm »
That was the saddest part of the interview, wasn't it, as it would have meant everything to him. Ged doesn't come out of that story well although I guess that's only Warnock's side of the story. Stephen seems like a really nice fella though and I hope to see and hear more from him in the media now his playing days are over.

Yes it was.

Yeah, Ged doesn't come out well at all - not that he's the only one. No surprise though that managers are revealed to have massive egos.

I'm completely in awe that he could come back and play at the level he did after 3 leg breaks.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2018, 10:59:25 am »
Never read goal.com, hate sites like that. But when I saw Stephen's interview was exclusive with them I had a read.

Heartbreaking hearing his account of Istanbul.

And then the part about Houllier not letting him come back at Villa. He said he believed Houllier was jealous he got the chance to go back and Ged himself didn't.

I never recommend Goal.com, but that interview was an interesting read.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2018, 05:32:43 pm »
Thanks for the heads up about the interview:  http://www.goal.com/en-ke/news/how-rafa-benitez-spoiled-liverpools-greatest-ever-night/pw7fk2xqtm611oa80ej9ib3mj

That was a good read, indeed.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2018, 06:45:45 pm »
“We had been due to play Tottenham at Anfield and I was not on the squad list. I was due to report for training on the Saturday and I went out for a mate’s birthday on the Friday night. I got to Melwood, put my boots on to train and the squad arrived for their pre-match walk. Rafa says: ‘What are you doing?’ I told him I was training and he told me I was starting against Tottenham!

“I had to tell him I’d been out the previous night and he kicked off at me, saying I was unprofessional."

Rafa was right.

And when Warnock gets himself into management, if he wants to be successful, he's going to eventually understand that managers like Rafa and Ged were usually correct.
Better looking than Samie.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2018, 06:57:25 pm »
Never read goal.com, hate sites like that. But when I saw Stephen's interview was exclusive with them I had a read.

Heartbreaking hearing his account of Istanbul.

And then the part about Houllier not letting him come back at Villa. He said he believed Houllier was jealous he got the chance to go back and Ged himself didn't.

I never recommend Goal.com, but that interview was an interesting read.

Yeah, dunno who's fault that was back then but it was a pretty shit way to treat the left out members, can't see any way that would happen under the current lot, Klopp would start a riot.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2018, 08:55:24 pm »
That sounds like a seriously stupid oversight for players to be left out of the return to Liverpool. Especially players like Mellor and Sinama-Pongolle who had played key roles in getting us vital results on the way.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: April 8, 2022, 12:38:06 pm »
How has he bagged this tactical analysis gig on Sky Sports News? Nothing against him but I don't remember him being very good at the football.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: April 8, 2022, 12:42:05 pm »
How has he bagged this tactical analysis gig on Sky Sports News? Nothing against him but I don't remember him being very good at the football.

Well it's no surprise when you then see Sky getting Mills and Downing to represent their respective clubs when discussing what's going to happen on Sunday. Three hours long too!

Next they're going to have Phil Babb on to discuss last ditch defending and Ben Thatcher to talk to us about how to shield the opposition out of play.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: April 8, 2022, 12:42:51 pm »
Well it's no surprise when you then see Sky getting Mills and Downing to represent their respective clubs when discussing what's going to happen on Sunday. Three hours long too!

Next they're going to have Phil Babb on to discuss last ditch defending and Ben Thatcher to talk to us about how to shield the opposition out of play.

Haha true! But Warnock does it every day I think.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #238 on: April 8, 2022, 03:09:56 pm »

Stewart Downing was the best they could do to talk about Liverpool? Sky must be desperate then

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: April 8, 2022, 03:11:16 pm »
Stewart Downing was the best they could do to talk about Liverpool? Sky must be desperate then

The original Luis Diaz (left winger who was MoM in the League Cup final).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.