Author Topic: Liverpool vs Atalanta pre-game thread  (Read 12040 times)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool vs Atalanta pre-game thread
« on: April 7, 2024, 08:55:13 pm »
Europa League quarter final, 1st leg, Thursday April 11th April 2024, Anfield, 8.00pm

vs

Forget about today.

As soon as it was official last year that we’d be competing in the Europa League this season, I was hoping we’d go all out and try and win it. It gets a bad rep, a huge reason being UEFA putting the majority of their interest in the Champions League but it’s a competition the club has a great history in, and has contributed to with some wonderful moments, as well some not some so joyous ones (Strasbourg away anyone?). Lest we forget, we got to the final when we last entered the competition, which culminated in a second half which took me a long time to get over. Klopp’s first season that was (seems like a lifetime ago!) so it’d be nice to come full circle and right that wrong in Klopp’s final game. I might also be able to watch Sturridge’s brilliant goal against Sevilla again.

And besides, who doesn’t want to see scenes like this again:

There was also a practical reason historically for wanting to win it, with the winners being guaranteed a place in Pot 1 in the Champions League the following season. However, with the new format of the Champions League, I don’t think that applies anymore, although the winner of this competition still qualifies for it. Don't want to jinx it but it looks like we won't need to worry about. So it's all about winning that beautiful trophy.

Atalana BC

So our quarter final opponents are Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio. Founded in 1907, and named after the Greek Goddess of running, archery and wrestling (that’s her on their crest), they’ve previously won the Coppa Italia, back in 1963. However, they’ve been enjoying a really successful period (possibly their most successful) since Gian Piero Gasperini took charge in 2016 - they qualified for the Champions League for the first time in their history under him and have since done so twice more since.

Of course, we played met them in the group stages in 2020/2021, beating them 5-0 away before losing 2-0 in the reverse game. Still seems so surreal looking back (I would mute this if you don't want to lose some brain cells):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4_IHHJ_i-sY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4_IHHJ_i-sY</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/e9AnDP3EJkw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/e9AnDP3EJkw</a>

This season, they’re doing ok too, are competing for Champions League place again (they’re 6th currently) and Italy, like England, are in prime position for 5th place to be enough to get it.

Just looking through their list of players and they’ve had such talents as Giuseppe Meazza, legendary sweeper Gaetano Scirea, Antonio Cabrini, Trevor Francis(!), Claudio Caniggia and Paolo Montero. Seems like they love selling to Juventus for some reason.

I also wanted to talk about some ex-reds that also played for Atalanta but alas, was only able to find Gabriel Paletta, who only played a handful of games whilst he was here but had a decent career in Italy, including 24 games for our opponents and got capped by the Azzzuri. Though funnily enough our soon to be Sporting Director Richard Hughes started his career playing for Atalanta’s youth team but never made a first team appearance for them. He’s not officially started his new role here either so not sure if I’m reaching a bit there.

Liverpool FC

Whilst we’re in the midst of a title challenge (yes, even after our last game), I’m so glad Klopp’s taking this competition seriously. I understand it rubs some people up the wrong way but it’d be amazing to win the trophy in Klopp’s final game. Don’t think we’ll have any easy ties from here on in, and Atalanta definitely won’t be a pushover, but with the first leg being at home, it’s a big chance for us to take a significant lead going to Italy next week. Personally, am for a strong a team as possible.

Jones is back from injury now but as it stands, our other previous absentees are still unavailable, although we’re hoping to have Alexander-Arnold and Jota back soon, possibly even for the second leg. We’ll know more after Klopp’s press conference on Wednesday.

A good victory to give us a strong position in the tie and some confidence going into the weekend please Reds.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool vs Atalanta pre-game thread
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2024, 08:59:05 pm »
Thanks Hazell.

I would make a few changes here. Some of our players need a rest.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2024, 09:00:15 pm »
Tsmikas for Robbo
Elliot - for Salah
Gakpo - for Diaz
Konate - for Quansah
Gravenberch for Dom
Gomez for Bradley

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2024, 09:02:52 pm »
Make a couple of tweaks to today and go strong.

Be nice to take a good lead to Italy especially as we have Fulham / Ev / West Ham in the week after the 2nd leg.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 7, 2024, 10:10:45 pm »
Ta for the write up Hazell

My first European game was the 1976 semi final v Barcelona, loved it when we won this in 1973, 1976 and 2001, its a cracking cup to win, so am dying for us to win it again and for Jurgen have won the lot with us.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: April 7, 2024, 10:15:41 pm »
looking forward to this game chance to give macca and virg a rest

kelleher

gomez quansah konate robbo

elliot jones grav

salah cody diaz

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #6 on: April 7, 2024, 10:48:04 pm »
Suspect these may have had something of an eye on Thursday as they lost at Cagliari today. We have the potential to take a commanding lead to Italy and should look to do so given we're the best side in the competition. Hope and expect to see a strong side to get us back on the right track after a poor result today.

Kelleher
Bradley   Konate   VVD   Robertson
Mac Allister   Jones   Elliott
Salah   Gakpo   Diaz

Show the ruthless side we've shown against LASK, Toulouse and Sparta Prague at home. Anyone we can rest away would be nice but until then, no need to make big changes. If we take our eyes off the ball in this now the season could end miserably. No remorse, reds, no regrets either.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 7, 2024, 10:50:16 pm »
Just put the tie out of sight in this game so we can manage some minutes.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8 on: April 7, 2024, 10:53:57 pm »
Let's put the tie beyond reach in the first leg.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: April 7, 2024, 11:34:05 pm »
Ta for the write up Hazell

My first European game was the 1976 semi final v Barcelona, loved it when we won this in 1973, 1976 and 2001, its a cracking cup to win, so am dying for us to win it again and for Jurgen have won the lot with us.

My first European Game was in the UEFA Cup. Unforgettable…losing 1-0 at home to Brondby in 95/96. Shocker!

Did see a few ties in 00/01 though and was thrilled when we won in Dortmund. It’s a great trophy and one we really could and should be winning to cap off Jurgen’s time with us.

Tricky with being at home first but maybe we’re fortunate it’s ‘only’ Palace at home on Sunday. I think we will freshen it up a bit but we can do that and still have a very strong side out. Not as simple as saying, get the ties won in the first leg. I’m fairly sure we’ll head to Italy with a bit of work to do to see things out but any nice win will do please.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 7, 2024, 11:43:47 pm »
Just put the tie out of sight in this game so we can manage some minutes.

We will still play our best players regardless, the last tie in this cup was put to bed in the first leg and the 2nd leg team was still very strong.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 7, 2024, 11:45:06 pm »
We will still play our best players regardless, the last tie in this cup was put to bed in the first leg and the 2nd leg team was still very strong.

Yeah we will go strong both matches. Crazy how we always go strong and yet people say put the tie to bed and rest some players. Never happens.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #12 on: April 7, 2024, 11:45:51 pm »
Everyone with the let's put it to bed early

Atalanta are probably better than Man U
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Heritage

• Main Stander
  • Boot Room Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 7, 2024, 11:48:11 pm »
Tsmikas for Robbo
Elliot - for Salah
Gakpo - for Diaz
Konate - for Quansah
Gravenberch for Dom
Gomez for Bradley

I largely agree. I think leave Quansah in so that Konate is ready for next weekend. Endo may need to be rested for fitness reasons as well.
🔥97🔥

🏆 x 42

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 7, 2024, 11:48:53 pm »
Everyone with the let's put it to bed early

Atalanta are probably better than Man U

And we're the best team left in the competition.

Offline Heritage

• Main Stander
  • Boot Room Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: April 7, 2024, 11:51:09 pm »
Can't say that really. Leverkusen are undefeated in all competitions and may break the all time Bundesliga pts record, if I'm not mistaken.
🔥97🔥

🏆 x 42

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 8, 2024, 12:04:39 am »
Can't say that really. Leverkusen are undefeated in all competitions and may break the all time Bundesliga pts record, if I'm not mistaken.

I can and i have.

Offline Heritage

• Main Stander
  • Boot Room Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: April 8, 2024, 12:14:28 am »
🔥97🔥

🏆 x 42

Offline Irishred1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #18 on: April 8, 2024, 12:24:27 am »
My first European Game was in the UEFA Cup. Unforgettable…losing 1-0 at home to Brondby in 95/96. Shocker!

Did see a few ties in 00/01 though and was thrilled when we won in Dortmund. It’s a great trophy and one we really could and should be winning to cap off Jurgen’s time with us.

Tricky with being at home first but maybe we’re fortunate it’s ‘only’ Palace at home on Sunday. I think we will freshen it up a bit but we can do that and still have a very strong side out. Not as simple as saying, get the ties won in the first leg. I’m fairly sure we’ll head to Italy with a bit of work to do to see things out but any nice win will do please.
Halloween night. Dan EGGER or something with a header iirc

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #19 on: April 8, 2024, 12:59:11 am »

What I'm saying is we need to do better than today

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 8, 2024, 01:02:17 am »
What I'm saying is we need to do better than today

We will. United games are different and inexplicable, we were better in the three games we played this season and...

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 8, 2024, 05:59:03 am »
Go strong and put it in the bag.
Believer

Offline RedVash

• Legacy Fan
  • ...through the storm...
« Reply #22 on: April 8, 2024, 09:16:31 am »
hi everyone I'm a red from Bergamo and I wrote an article about our draw against Atalanta.

Give it a read if you want to know what this game means for the people of Bergamo.

redvash.wordpress.com/2024/03/19/liverpool-atalanta-english-version/

I've also started a survey to see how Liverpool fans reacted. I would appreciate a lot if you can take 1 mins to fill it.

https://it.surveymonkey.com/r/JMMRGXS

I've done the same for Atalanta fans so I can write an article about both reactions.

Thank a lot  :wave

RED is not a colour.
RED is a way of life.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23 on: April 8, 2024, 09:33:46 am »
hi everyone I'm a red from Bergamo and I wrote an article about our draw against Atalanta.

Give it a read if you want to know what this game means for the people of Bergamo.

I've also started a survey to see how Liverpool fans reacted. I would appreciate a lot if you can take 1 mins to fill it.

I've done the same for Atalanta fans so I can write an article about both reactions.

Lovely article that and if the Atalanta fans are in town, then I think they will be made very welcome. Always lovely to see nice fans from around Europe enjoying our fine City.

Very best of luck (But I still hope we win!)

YNWA

:)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline crewlove

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: April 8, 2024, 09:39:12 am »
Think we need to go as strong as it's possible while having rotation for Palace on our mind. Should have few goals ahead as looking at our away form everything may happen in Italy. It is not an indicator but I feel like whenever we face an Italian side we always lose one game. It's been a story under Klopp.

About being the best team left we probably are, but Leverkusen are not worse probably. I'd rather play against them before the final but it is what it is.

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #25 on: April 8, 2024, 10:01:12 am »
"To determine the eight different opponents, the teams will initially be ranked in four seeding pots. Each team will then be drawn to play two opponents from each of these pots, playing one match against a team from each pot at home, and one away."

From UEFA's website for the new format next year. Presumably winning the Europa would still award a spot in pot 1. As would winning the league.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #26 on: April 8, 2024, 10:20:11 am »
There will be a heavy police presence on Thursday due to the start of the Aintree races. Make sure you give yourself extra time to get to and from the game.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #27 on: April 8, 2024, 10:22:52 am »
There will be a heavy police presence on Thursday due to the start of the Aintree races. Make sure you give yourself extra time to get to and from the game.

The main day of the races starting is Friday (Ladies day)

Should be fine on Thursday
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #28 on: April 8, 2024, 10:48:58 am »
Think we need to go as strong as it's possible while having rotation for Palace on our mind. Should have few goals ahead as looking at our away form everything may happen in Italy. It is not an indicator but I feel like whenever we face an Italian side we always lose one game. It's been a story under Klopp.

About being the best team left we probably are, but Leverkusen are not worse probably. I'd rather play against them before the final but it is what it is.
yep - Need to use that Palace game to rack up the goal difference!!!!!

Joking😁. In case anyone wants to shoot me.

Offline RedVash

• Legacy Fan
  • ...through the storm...
« Reply #29 on: April 8, 2024, 10:54:27 am »

Lovely article that and if the Atalanta fans are in town, then I think they will be made very welcome. Always lovely to see nice fans from around Europe enjoying our fine City.

YNWA

Thanks a lot!

I hope Liverpool will win as well
RED is not a colour.
RED is a way of life.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #30 on: April 8, 2024, 01:52:09 pm »
"To determine the eight different opponents, the teams will initially be ranked in four seeding pots. Each team will then be drawn to play two opponents from each of these pots, playing one match against a team from each pot at home, and one away."

From UEFA's website for the new format next year. Presumably winning the Europa would still award a spot in pot 1. As would winning the league.

If everyone plays two opponents from each pot, then there's no advantage in being seeded anyway.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 8, 2024, 04:24:32 pm »

Hi mate, I was going by this ESPN piece:

The 36 teams will be divided into four pots of nine. Pot 1 will have the titleholders of the UCL and the eight clubs with the best coefficients. That means the champions of the top domestic leagues and the UEL titleholders will no longer be prioritised for Pot 1. Pots 2 to 4 are ordered on club coefficient.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37628341/champions-league-revamp-how-competition-work
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 8, 2024, 05:23:50 pm »

Thank you for the link, lovely article!

I have a soft spot for Atalanta due to a good friend of mine being from there. His father played for Atalanta in the 50s...

Online William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: April 8, 2024, 07:41:18 pm »
Can see us going very strong here to try and put this to bed.  If we dont, the 2nd away leg is sandwiched inbetween a run of tricky away fixtures that ideally we could do with a strong rotation in.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 8, 2024, 09:48:27 pm »
Can see us going very strong here to try and put this to bed.  If we dont, the 2nd away leg is sandwiched inbetween a run of tricky away fixtures that ideally we could do with a strong rotation in.
We could be winning 10-0 and Klopp for whatever reason would still play a strong side in the return leg.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #35 on: April 8, 2024, 10:03:19 pm »
Thanks Hazell. Put the United game behind us and focus on regaining our ruthlessness. Start sticking chances away and we should be fine.
#JFT97

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #36 on: April 8, 2024, 10:06:21 pm »
So pleased we have a game on Thursday.

Full focus needed.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #37 on: April 8, 2024, 10:39:07 pm »

YNWA

I'm sure they smashed up a few restaurants and attacked diners last time they were here

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: April 8, 2024, 10:52:19 pm »
So pleased we have a game on Thursday.

Full focus needed.

we got shafted after the united fa cup game with no game afterwards

thursday game is just what we need,

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #39 on: April 9, 2024, 05:06:18 am »
I definitely think Klopp will go strong in this game. He went strong in what was effectively a dead rubber and this is a quarter-final. Also, UEFA may represent a better chance of silver for the remainder of the season.