Author Topic: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance  (Read 233803 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Reply #4400 on: April 24, 2024, 12:38:49 am »
Where is the rest of the 5%?  The rest of the teams?  ;)
i put us at 1% chance now 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #4401 on: April 24, 2024, 01:19:06 am »
I'm going to change my prediction and say Arsenal will do it. That win today will give them massive confidence going into the Spurs game and Spurs not having played for a while will be to their detriment imo.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4402 on: April 24, 2024, 02:51:09 am »
I suggest on Sunday we all turn off our TVs and go for a walk.

The last time I switched off Arsenal dropped points (admittedly out of frustration after the palace game).

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4403 on: April 24, 2024, 03:44:10 am »
I thought I was doing my part by having 3 Arsenal players in my fantasy team, including Havertz as captain and White. My score for the week is the first sign of the apocalypse. Beware!

Online Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4404 on: April 24, 2024, 06:37:58 am »
I'm going to change my prediction and say Arsenal will do it. That win today will give them massive confidence going into the Spurs game and Spurs not having played for a while will be to their detriment imo.

If Arsenal beat Spurs it will more than likely mean we can't overtake them,  but IMO it will show thar Spurs can't get up for a massive home game that their fans will be white hot for. If that's the case, expect them to also roll over for City in the final week. It'll come down to those two Spurs home games. If they're up for it and handle them we can win the league, if they can't we likely finish 3rd with the other two winning there in their toughest remaining game.

I'm content that a decent side not just chasing 4th but also trying to prevent their biggest rivals winning the league are still out there as potential help for us. In previous years hoping for the likes of Leicester or West Ham to help us when they've had nothing to play for was more a dream than a real hope, at least both of our rivals have a genuinely tough game still to play, we hope.

We need to keep winning of course for any of this to mean anything.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 06:43:10 am by Macc77 »

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4405 on: April 24, 2024, 07:35:30 am »
We rolled Chelsea over easily too. They’d just come off the back of a demoralising cup exit, which was all they had to play for for the rest of the season. Arsenal are good but this doesn’t mean a great deal. They literally just lost to Aston Villa - they could easily drop more points. It’s City I’m worried by, they’re machine like in this situations. Have been season after season.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4406 on: April 24, 2024, 07:56:07 am »
We'll likely finish 3rd, and that would be a fair reflection, in my opinion. As much as it pains me to say, Arsenal have been a better side this season. Mind you, I hope the c*nts don't win it. Another meaningless (cheated) City win is preferable if we can't do it.

HUGE game tonight. We will need to do what we don't do often and win at Goodison.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4407 on: April 24, 2024, 08:08:07 am »
We'll likely finish 3rd, and that would be a fair reflection, in my opinion. As much as it pains me to say, Arsenal have been a better side this season. Mind you, I hope the c*nts don't win it. Another meaningless (cheated) City win is preferable if we can't do it.

HUGE game tonight. We will need to do what we don't do often and win at Goodison.

I actually would prefer Arsenal to win it. They've built a good side and play good football. Yes their antics are hard to watch but City winning it when they're not even at their best would be one step closer to packing in the game really. Why bother to build a side properly if you're always just going to get pipped by cheats?

Anyway, let's just put ourselves in with a chance- that's all we can do.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #4408 on: April 24, 2024, 08:10:50 am »
Things can change quickly in football.

Arsenal recently lost to Villa and got dumped out CL yet people are talking like they are Brazil 1970.

They could be second by the time they play Spurs so let's focus on ourselves.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #4409 on: April 24, 2024, 08:16:44 am »

Wouldn’t mind finishing above Arsenal so we get a trip to Wembley in the season opener

I have to agree, prefer city over Arsenal for the title

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4410 on: April 24, 2024, 08:27:43 am »

Arsenal have had a really settled team all season. We’ve been forced into changes left, right and centre. I think that has been a huge factor and does t seem to be talked about much outside of here.

All we can do is win tonight and then we’ll fancy our chances more again. There’s so few games left now that any slip up from any of the three will feel huge. All we can do is try and stay in the mix for as long as possible and see what happens.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #4411 on: April 24, 2024, 08:39:10 am »
Arsenal have had a really settled team all season. We’ve been forced into changes left, right and centre. I think that has been a huge factor and does t seem to be talked about much outside of here.

I think if we were to have Arsenal's favourable injury issues and the favour they have with the officials (in spite of their antics) we'd be easily top.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4412 on: April 24, 2024, 08:53:59 am »
Not sure why people are worrying about Arsenal’s results now. They lost against Villa and gave us an opportunity which we had duly fluffed by losing to a poor side, at home. Even a draw and we are in a strong position as we would be ahead of Arsenal and need City just to draw.

Fact is we are now needing two teams to fuck up but ultimately we need to win every game and that includes a merseyside derby, against West ham on saturday who have had a week off, at Villa who are back in form and a tricky home game against Spurs.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4413 on: April 24, 2024, 08:57:57 am »
Not sure why people are worrying about Arsenal’s results now. They lost against Villa and gave us an opportunity which we had duly fluffed by losing to a poor side, at home. Even a draw and we are in a strong position as we would be ahead of Arsenal and need City just to draw.

Fact is we are now needing two teams to fuck up but ultimately we need to win every game and that includes a merseyside derby, against West ham on saturday who have had a week off, at Villa who are back in form and a tricky home game against Spurs.
They lost against Villa after we lost against Palace. It was a missed opportunity for them because they'll have all but taken us out of it and have it in their hands. If they'd won, that's us effectively out of it.

You're right, a draw against Palace would have completely changed the outlook because we'd only have needed one slip up from City and GD wouldn't be a factor.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4414 on: April 24, 2024, 09:04:47 am »
They lost against Villa after we lost against Palace. It was a missed opportunity for them because they'll have all but taken us out of it and have it in their hands. If they'd won, that's us effectively out of it.

You're right, a draw against Palace would have completely changed the outlook because we'd only have needed one slip up from City and GD wouldn't be a factor.

It’s wild because at the time I was thinking ‘we need 2 goals here, 1 does us no good’ but that was, of course, nonsense. When it’s this tight if you can’t win you must not lose.

Offline GarciaAndNunezNunezNunez

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4415 on: April 24, 2024, 09:23:54 am »

Football simply doesn't work like that. We were expected to beat United comfortably 3 times this season and look what happened.

Arsenal will have a few more tests come the end of the season. I'm looking forward to see how they handle adversity - the 2nd half of the Villa game was very telling

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4416 on: April 24, 2024, 09:24:44 am »
Cheaty and Arsenal appear to have that luck that their first or second shot early on goes in. c*nts.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4417 on: April 24, 2024, 09:29:00 am »
It’s wild because at the time I was thinking ‘we need 2 goals here, 1 does us no good’ but that was, of course, nonsense. When it’s this tight if you can’t win you must not lose.
Every point matters.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4418 on: April 24, 2024, 10:21:18 am »
Last night was a blow, I was sure it would be a tough game for Arsenal. But at least it takes goal difference off the table and can now just focus on winning games and not worrying about the amount of big chances we squander.

I'm at peace with it all anyway. Unlike 2019 and 2022, I don't actually think we are as good as City or Arsenal, or to be honest anywhere close to it, and it would almost be a smash and grab if we somehow won it.

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4419 on: April 24, 2024, 10:23:50 am »
Much as it pains me to say it, Arsenal are probably the most complete team of the three at the moment and on balance should be winning that league.

That said, I expect them to drop some further points or City to win out.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4420 on: April 24, 2024, 10:27:01 am »
Last night was a blow, I was sure it would be a tough game for Arsenal. But at least it takes goal difference off the table and can now just focus on winning games and not worrying about the amount of big chances we squander.

I'm at peace with it all anyway. Unlike 2019 and 2022, I don't actually think we are as good as City or Arsenal, or to be honest anywhere close to it, and it would almost be a smash and grab if we somehow won it.

Don't know where to begin with this  ;D they played the reserve team of 9th place in the league at home. GD is most definitely not off the table, for Arsenal sure, but we just need them to drop points once, beating City's so a draw for them does us instead of a loss is huge.

And the idea we're nowhere near as good as them two is absolutely ridiculous.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4421 on: April 24, 2024, 10:30:37 am »

Mad to say we are not close to them. I bet most of our players make a combined 11 compared to Arsenal , if your doing an individual quality thing.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4422 on: April 24, 2024, 10:50:42 am »
If we win out the last few games and still finish 3rd, i can live with that.
Considering the total change out of the midfield engine room, in all honesty i was not expecting us to do this well.
Onwards and upwards. (Hopefully with the new manager)
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #4423 on: April 24, 2024, 11:15:16 am »
I can't believe you can look at all 3 teams and their respective injuries this season and come to the conclusion that we are the worst of the lot.  :o

Imagine the absolute arse licking City and Arsenal would have got if they had as many inuries as we have had and were 2 points from the top still. If commentary from those who dont support us is getting in your head (and i dont know any of you so this might not be the reason), but if it is...get some fresh air - because we have massively overachieved this season.

In that one game against Palace, yes, we did let ourselves down at the most crucial time, and against United too....but that can be true as well as what I have said above and IF we win the league this year - and I give us a decent chance because I do not think Arsenal or City will win out (I just question whether we can) - it will be fully deserved in the most difficult of circumstances.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4424 on: April 24, 2024, 11:31:23 am »
If we beat Everton & West Ham, we're still in it.
If Arsenal then beat Spurs, we're out of it. They aren't dropping points in their 3 remaining fixtures after that.

If Arsenal drop points on Sunday, then it all depends on City. Surprised to see they have 4 aways remaining. Not against the best sides, but strange things can happen!

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4425 on: April 24, 2024, 11:59:05 am »

Agreed. 

It would be a hell of a gift from Man City to Arsenal when you consider the strength of the Man City teams that were pipping us to titles by 1 pt.  That just feels terribly unjust.  This Arsenal team has lost at home to both West Ham and Aston Villa.  Yuk.   Title winners?!  Get outta here!!!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4426 on: April 24, 2024, 12:01:19 pm »

So what's the alternative. Give up ? The Palace game shows ther can be more to come. It's mad a lot of people saying (not aiming this at you) Arsenal will tonk Spurs on Sunday in the North London Derby, but our derby tonight is a bastard of a game.  I'm not even thinkig of Spurs and Villa yet. Win tonight and Saturday and heap the pressure back on Arsenal is all we can really do

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4427 on: April 24, 2024, 12:04:55 pm »
If we beat Everton & West Ham, we're still in it.
If Arsenal then beat Spurs, we're out of it. They aren't dropping points in their 3 remaining fixtures after that.

If Arsenal drop points on Sunday, then it all depends on City. Surprised to see they have 4 aways remaining. Not against the best sides, but strange things can happen!

Strange things can happen, so we're definitely not out of if we win ours and Arsenal beat Spurs
No one at all thought Palace would beat us.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4428 on: April 24, 2024, 12:06:21 pm »
Just win tonight
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4429 on: April 24, 2024, 12:34:44 pm »
So what's the alternative. Give up ? The Palace game shows ther can be more to come. It's mad a lot of people saying (not aiming this at you) Arsenal will tonk Spurs on Sunday in the North London Derby, but our derby tonight is a bastard of a game.  I'm not even thinkig of Spurs and Villa yet. Win tonight and Saturday and heap the pressure back on Arsenal is all we can really do

Of course dont give up. Focus just on winning our games. I was arsed about Arsenal and City dropping points but im not now.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4430 on: April 24, 2024, 12:45:30 pm »
I can't believe you can look at all 3 teams and their respective injuries this season and come to the conclusion that we are the worst of the lot.  :o

Imagine the absolute arse licking City and Arsenal would have got if they had as many inuries as we have had and were 2 points from the top still. If commentary from those who dont support us is getting in your head (and i dont know any of you so this might not be the reason), but if it is...get some fresh air - because we have massively overachieved this season.

In that one game against Palace, yes, we did let ourselves down at the most crucial time, and against United too....but that can be true as well as what I have said above and IF we win the league this year - and I give us a decent chance because I do not think Arsenal or City will win out (I just question whether we can) - it will be fully deserved in the most difficult of circumstances.
The margins are really tight. So of course we're good enough to win it.

The injuries didn't really bother me because we proved that we can beat any team regardless. For example,  our "weakened" 11 should have beaten City and we could have beaten Arsenal again.

Little things such as one or two decisions (Doku's Karate kick)not going our way or missing one opportunity (Diaz 1v1 vs City, score that and we're in a completely different place both in terms of points and confidence) can transform the momentum of games and the outlook of our entire season.

Tiny details are the difference.

Online Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4431 on: April 24, 2024, 05:01:46 pm »

GD may be irrelevant vs Arsenal but not vs City. We need them both to draw a game. If Arsenal draw and we win all 5, GD is irrelevant. If City draw and we win all 5, GD Is the key. We're 1 worse than them, it could be absolutely massive.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4432 on: April 24, 2024, 05:05:08 pm »
Spuds will get a result

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #4433 on: April 24, 2024, 05:25:03 pm »
Just win tonight.  Go from there.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #4434 on: April 24, 2024, 08:33:37 pm »
This team is reminding me of the 96 team that was involved in the 3 horse title race and finished 4th. Unbelievable.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #4435 on: April 24, 2024, 08:37:32 pm »
We are not winning the league if we constantly concede first and miss the chances we are.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4436 on: April 24, 2024, 08:52:43 pm »
We are not winning the league if we constantly concede first and miss the chances we are.

We fell out of contention for the league when we lost to palace.

I think Klopp should’ve waited until later in the season to announce. What’s our record been like since he announced he was leaving?

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4437 on: April 24, 2024, 08:53:35 pm »
We fell out of contention for the league when we lost to palace.

I think Klopp should’ve waited until later in the season to announce. What’s our record been like since he announced he was leaving?

Don't blame it on him, it's got nothing to do with that.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4438 on: April 24, 2024, 08:55:02 pm »
Top 4 and a trophy is a success this season, let's just secure it

Offline ScubaSteve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4439 on: April 24, 2024, 09:00:23 pm »
Don't blame it on him, it's got nothing to do with that.

I ain’t gonna blame it on him but it’s got to have an effect on the players surely. That would’ve hit me hard   :'(