Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 627568 times)

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #14520 on: May 20, 2024, 02:32:21 pm »
surely we will have the press conference this week,
The send off at Feyenoord looks great seems a great guy

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14521 on: May 20, 2024, 03:07:31 pm »
Just watched this and I have to say it's impressive.  Of course, it's a skewed, selected view of his career there, but honestly, you could remove Slot from that footage and replace him with Klopp and none of it would look out of place.  Passionate fans in love with the manager, Slot hugging his players in success and failure, chanting the name and connecting with the city....   

I like what I see from our new Dad.

I think so too. I didn't know anything of Arne before the Liverpool negotiations but what's most encouraging is Feyenoord's supporters adore him.

They have a traditional working class support base that emphasises collectivism with leftist leanings similar to Liverpool, and they don't readily offer devotion to their managers in the way they do with Slot. They know their stuff do Feyenoord fans.

The fact Slot is idolised by them and that club in particular is a good sign of the man's character and nature.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #14522 on: May 20, 2024, 03:17:56 pm »
Or we're too poor to sack him.

He only has a 3 year contract so if we're keeping him on for 6 years longer than that cos we don't have any money then questions need to be asked

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14523 on: May 20, 2024, 03:20:33 pm »
He only has a 3 year contract so if we're keeping him on for 6 years longer than that cos we don't have any money then questions need to be asked

We should sack him now just to be safe!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14524 on: May 20, 2024, 04:27:44 pm »
Looks like Slot's Sports Psychologist at Feyenooord isn't sure if he's coming here or not.  ;D

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14525 on: May 20, 2024, 04:31:09 pm »
Anyone seen much of Slot's teams?

I think my primary concern with him is every report I've seen is that he's all about control, similar to Guardiola. Obviously it's great if you can do it to that level, but Anfield gets behind emotional, intense football, rather than clinical, possession-based football. Be interesting to see how it all translates.

A fair argument could be made to say that we lost games when we played heavily on emotional, rather than ability, I guess.

Not trying to be negative, but reports remind me a lot of Rodgers' style. Maybe it's the reality that Klopp's going that's left me a bit worried about.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #14526 on: May 20, 2024, 04:52:43 pm »

I think my primary concern with him is every report I've seen is that he's all about control, similar to Guardiola. Obviously it's great if you can do it to that level, but Anfield gets behind emotional, intense football, rather than clinical, possession-based football. Be interesting to see how it all translates.

A fair argument could be made to say that we lost games when we played heavily on emotional, rather than ability, I guess.

Not trying to be negative, but reports remind me a lot of Rodgers' style. Maybe it's the reality that Klopp's going that's left me a bit worried about.

I cant say I've ever watched his teams play, but the stat that stood out for me when i was doing some research was that his team has won the ball back in the final third more times than any team in the top 5 leagues....Liverpool are 2nd.

He plays a 4-3-3 and is less direct than what Klopp's style is.

I'd actually like us to control games a bit better than what we have in the past couple of seasons. We've had a tendency to start games slowly, concede a goal and then have to 'blitz' teams over a 15 minute period to score a couple of goals and win.

Ideally, a happy medium between Klopp and Pep would be perfect.  ;D
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14527 on: May 20, 2024, 04:58:27 pm »
Soon...

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14529 on: May 20, 2024, 04:59:46 pm »
;D

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #14530 on: May 20, 2024, 05:00:06 pm »

I get all of this, but it also might be nice for Anfield not to be a nervous wreck constantly.

Online DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
« Reply #14531 on: May 20, 2024, 05:00:39 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBKxtP2MR2w&t=1s
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #14532 on: May 20, 2024, 05:00:50 pm »
Welcome Arne.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14534 on: May 20, 2024, 05:01:42 pm »

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14535 on: May 20, 2024, 05:02:08 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/26gyYaZ-Two&amp;pp=ygUJcmVkbWVuIHR2" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/26gyYaZ-Two&amp;pp=ygUJcmVkbWVuIHR2</a>
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 05:18:30 pm by The Final Third »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14536 on: May 20, 2024, 05:02:19 pm »
We can announce Arne Slot has agreed a deal to become the club’s new head coach, formally taking up the position on June 1, 2024, subject to a work permit.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14537 on: May 20, 2024, 05:02:56 pm »
Haha they actually announced it with this..

https://x.com/LFC/status/1792584839763292480

:D

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14538 on: May 20, 2024, 05:03:03 pm »
So a low-key announcement now and then full presser etc after 1st June when he's officially started?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14539 on: May 20, 2024, 05:03:44 pm »
Fucking Brexit, needing a fucking work permit :butt

Welcome Arne lad
Jurgen YNWA

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14540 on: May 20, 2024, 05:04:07 pm »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14541 on: May 20, 2024, 05:04:45 pm »
So a low-key announcement now and then full presser etc after 1st June when he's officially started?

Yeah. I guess he will go on his holidays now.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14542 on: May 20, 2024, 05:04:46 pm »

I loved that, he's a loon isnt he ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14543 on: May 20, 2024, 05:05:08 pm »
And head coach, not manager, as expected.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #14544 on: May 20, 2024, 05:06:26 pm »
And head coach, not manager, as expected.

Haha I have no idea what the difference is.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14545 on: May 20, 2024, 05:06:59 pm »
3 year deal.

https://x.com/_pauljoyce/status/1792586251683447203

Arne Slot has agreed a three year deal as new Liverpool head coach.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #14546 on: May 20, 2024, 05:07:05 pm »
Sounds like Arne Slot is confirmed as the new manager.

First bald permanent manager since Don Welsh in the 1950’s. Obviously we had a bald Ronnie Moran as caretaker manager.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14547 on: May 20, 2024, 05:07:07 pm »
I loved that, he's a loon isnt he ;D

Not that I like Carra most days but what he said after the game was spot on, Klopp just doesn't give a shit he does what his heart tells him and stays the course, such a special person.. Using that by the club is brilliant, what a way to hand over to hopefully another different but special man!

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #14548 on: May 20, 2024, 05:07:09 pm »
'Arne Slot to become Liverpool FC's new head coach':-

Liverpool Football Club can announce Arne Slot has agreed a deal to become the club’s new head coach, formally taking up the position on June 1, 2024, subject to a work permit.

www.liverpoolfc.com/news/arne-slot-become-liverpool-fcs-new-head-coach

'The 45-year-old will join the Reds from Feyenoord ahead of the 2024-25 season after a deal was reached with the Eredivisie club for his services.

Slot will replace Jürgen Klopp at the helm following his decision to step down from the post at the end of the current campaign.

The Netherlands-born coach will arrive after three highly successful seasons with Feyenoord, during which he led them to the league title in 2023 and was named Eredivisie Manager of the Year on two occasions.

More recently, he helped the Rotterdam club to victory in the KNVB Cup in April after they defeated NEC Nijmegen 1-0 in the final.

Prior to moving to Feyenoord, Slot held the position of AZ Alkmaar head coach, and he had led them to second place in the table, trailing leaders Ajax only on goal difference, when the Dutch season was cancelled due to COVID-19 in 2019-20.

During his playing career, he operated primarily as a midfielder, turning out for FC Zwolle, NAC Breda, Sparta Rotterdam and PEC Zwolle before hanging up his boots in 2013.

He will now soon become the first head coach of Liverpool FC from the Netherlands – with his first pre-season in charge of the squad set to get under way in July.'
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14549 on: May 20, 2024, 05:07:30 pm »

Haha I have no idea what the difference is.

Michael Edwards is the El Capitan of the ship.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #14550 on: May 20, 2024, 05:08:30 pm »
But has he had enough adversity....

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14551 on: May 20, 2024, 05:10:13 pm »
Open the Arne Slot thread now.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14552 on: May 20, 2024, 05:11:47 pm »
I like the cut of his jib

Think everyone will feel much better after his first presser too. He has charisma, and not the weird kind.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14553 on: May 20, 2024, 05:12:44 pm »
Not that I like Carra most days but what he said after the game was spot on, Klopp just doesn't give a shit he does what his heart tells him and stays the course, such a special person.. Using that by the club is brilliant, what a way to hand over to hopefully another different but special man!

Did you catch the bit on the podium where Klopp said "I don't give a shit, I'll just do it" - I think it was just before he announced Arne
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14554 on: May 20, 2024, 05:13:36 pm »
Did you catch the bit on the podium where Klopp said "I don't give a shit, I'll just do it" - I think it was just before he announced Arne

I heard him swear, didn't realise he said I'll just do it :D haha brilliant.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #14555 on: May 20, 2024, 05:15:04 pm »
Open the Arne Slot thread now.
Not until he's had his medical and is pictured leaning against something at Kirkby. Them's the RAWK rules.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline RedBlakey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #14556 on: May 20, 2024, 05:15:24 pm »

That is outstanding, Slot must be absolutely buzzing seeing that.
Never seen him playing I think. But looks like a good player.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14557 on: May 20, 2024, 05:16:23 pm »
Not until he's had his medical and is pictured leaning against something at Kirkby. Them's the RAWK rules.

Nabil Fekir trauma is still there huh?

Offline singerj

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14558 on: May 20, 2024, 05:17:54 pm »
Underrated: who knew Klopp had pipes like that?!

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14559 on: May 20, 2024, 05:18:26 pm »
Nabil Fekir trauma is still there huh?

Ol' Yoghurt knees.

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.