Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 564074 times)

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #11880 on: April 24, 2024, 02:50:31 pm »
It's actually weird how some people on here take it badly that others are trying to understand why Slot might be a good choice and get excited for him - and all the while failing to offer their own viable alternatives.

Fair enough if you don't personally think he's going to be the right man for the job (although rationales like "well, Ten Hag failed so that's Dutch managers/managers from the Dutch league ruled out forever" aren't exactly watertight), but why aren't the rest of us allowed to look at why the club might think he is the right man?

Especially when the alternative argument seems to be: "why don't FSG just hire this available, charismatic, world-class manager who has been consistently successful in comparable leagues playing a comparable style with comparable levels of competition and financial backing?"

If there's one thing that has been made abundantly clear in this thread it's that all of us, myself included, are utterly clueless when it comes to judging prospective managers. There's no point stressing about the relative quality of the Dutch league or his CV because we have no fucking idea if any of it is even relevant.

I'll look for the positives with him and leave it at that.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11881 on: April 24, 2024, 02:51:04 pm »

Happy with him unless he pulls out three envelopes

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11882 on: April 24, 2024, 02:52:14 pm »
From what I’ve read his brand of football sounds brilliant, energetic and well suited to our squad. I can buy that he came top on the data analysis.

The worry - and it’s something the data won’t show - is how he’ll adapt to a much stronger league, how he’ll fare under the media scrutiny that comes with a top English side, how he’ll get on in the CL, how he’ll manage big-name players etc. FWIW I think at least some of those problems would have applied to Alonso and Amorim too.

What I would also say is that the current pool of potential managers is broadly weak, so there is no obvious pick. Alonso maybe but there’s still huge risk there and he doesn’t want to move, so what can you do. I’m ok with it as I think there’s a fair to middling chance that whoever the next manager is will be gone in 18 months anyway - hopefully not, I just mean that we’d have that risk regardless of who we recruited.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 02:54:34 pm by Barefoot Doctor »

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #11883 on: April 24, 2024, 02:52:30 pm »
It seems to me that with the DOF model perhaps expectations should be somewhat elevated for a new hire. I'm always the first one to want to give a manager time to implement ideas and tactics, but isn't that somewhat counter to the idea of an already established system and a head coach not a manager.

It's also not unheard of for managers to win the league in their first season. It's happened 4 times in the past 15 years I think. In those cases I'm guessing the clubs had the top one or two highest wage bills though.

It looks like Slot is the guy, and of course with summer still ahead, but what are reasonable expectations for the team as of September 1st. I think it probably is achieve top 4, but thats hardly ambitious.

If you assume Top 2 will be Man City and Arsenal, there'll be 2 spots left for us, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Villa, and Man Utd and Chelsea might have new managers too so there's a chance they wouldn't be as abysmal as they are now. So Top 4, maybe the league cup/FA Cup, and QFs of the CL would be a good start to the reign
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11884 on: April 24, 2024, 02:54:09 pm »
If you assume Top 2 will be Man City and Arsenal, there'll be 2 spots left for us, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Villa, and Man Utd and Chelsea might have new managers too so there's a chance they wouldn't be as abysmal as they are now. So Top 4, maybe the league cup/FA Cup, and QFs of the CL would be a good start to the reign

No chance, it's a top 3 and then distance and the rest. That's not going to change.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11885 on: April 24, 2024, 02:54:31 pm »
What is the fixation with his baldness? Does it come from all the fellas worried about going bald…?

Bald men can't be trusted. Common sense really.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11886 on: April 24, 2024, 02:54:53 pm »

I don't think anything good really comes of expecting a run in the national cups, they're so luck dependent, especially when rotating heavily, and winning a cup doesn't really prove much as we've seen recently with ten Haag.

The rest sounds about right.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11887 on: April 24, 2024, 02:56:20 pm »

There is also a big responsibility on Hughes and Edwards here. If the club take the attitude that we have a really good squad and that the remit of the manager is to elevate it, then they are onto a loser there. We are losing a legendary manager and in that sense we have to give the new guy every sense of possibility that he can be successful and that means we have to give him a squad that can do that.

If we go into summer with signing a few fringe or squad players then straight away we have given Slot a dud card. We have to improve the squad and then be able to tell the world we have a world class set of players and the expectation is to win.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11888 on: April 24, 2024, 02:56:25 pm »

2 weeks ago we were favourites to win the league, Expectations should not drop.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #11889 on: April 24, 2024, 02:57:28 pm »

I'd agree with the first bit but I suppose a lot depends on how good the team/and players are. I doubt Sheffield United players have to be as much impressed as City players and the same for the manager coming in there. I think the extra dimension is measuring up to the previous manager, most managers get sacked or move upwards. Ferguson, Klopp and Wenger were/are different. That makes it harder to fill their shoes. Same applied when Shankly left but the players were already being drilled by Paisley and the rest of the boot room so it did not apply.

I would agree that players have egos (and paypackets) these days that go way beyond their actual talent.

Alonso is correct in saying the relationship between players and managers is the most important thing, not their coaching badges, knowledge or ego. Players are inspired by trust, leadership, clarity and fairness. Not FA certificates and tactics.

All fair points there.

Regarding the bit in bold, that's interesting from Alonso, and also true. My own qualifications are in psychological therapy. Something confirmed in that field by reams of research is that what really matters, and what is crucial to good outcomes, is the relationship between therapist and client. It's not how many qualifications the therapist has. It's not about the number of certificates on the wall. It's not about the length of experience the therapist has. It's not even about which method of therapy is employed. The bottom line is always the quality of the relationship. Without that being good, you have nothing.

Football and psychology may be completely different things, or maybe they actually aren't so different at all. We can only guess at how much of an advantage Klopp's relationship with everyone at LFC, from players to stewards, has been for us. It's priceless, isn't it.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11890 on: April 24, 2024, 02:57:30 pm »
A control freak
“I don’t want to compare myself with Pep at all, but he’s a control freak just like me,” Arne Slot himself told Voetbal International.

“If I look at myself, I want to win a match during the week before kick-off. I try to imprint the chosen tactic to my players as much as I can.

“That’s why I can be very frustrated when a referee even makes the slightest mistake to your disadvantage. This can have so much influence while you’re not able to control anything. All preparation can be ruined because of a referee mistake. This can be my biggest frustration!

“Guardiola gives me the ultimate pleasure in football. I’d rather watch Manchester City than any other team in the world, although now I enjoy watching Napoli, Arsenal and Brighton as well.

“I don’t want to compare Feyenoord with City, but we more or less play football according to the same philosophy: 4-3-3, building up from the back, wanting to put pressure on the opponent rather quickly.

interesting quotes

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11891 on: April 24, 2024, 02:58:51 pm »
“That’s why I can be very frustrated when a referee even makes the slightest mistake to your disadvantage. This can have so much influence while you’re not able to control anything. All preparation can be ruined because of a referee mistake. This can be my biggest frustration!"

Welcome to hell, mate!  ;D

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11892 on: April 24, 2024, 02:59:09 pm »
interesting quotes

Can't believe he didn't mention Jurgen's reds. Baldy splitter!

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11893 on: April 24, 2024, 03:00:21 pm »
If we trust the club to
a) establish the right criteria for the new manager;
b) be skilled at matching the criteria to the candidates
c) able to attract the top candidate who can fit all the criteria

then what should follow is that the man appointed has the best possible chance of making it a success. It is a natural process.

The issues you have is when no available candidate fits your criteria. Then you are forced to make compromises and compromises rarely end well

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11894 on: April 24, 2024, 03:00:25 pm »
City are boring to watch
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11895 on: April 24, 2024, 03:00:37 pm »
interesting quotes

How can anyone enjoy watching Manchester City?

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11896 on: April 24, 2024, 03:02:08 pm »
People keep posting this. I can only assume it's some sort of friendly joke as I really don't see anything special about that speech. Seems like a pretty standard thing to say.

Yeah but it's got a piano over the top. Can't you feel the poignancy?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11897 on: April 24, 2024, 03:02:14 pm »
How can anyone enjoy watching Manchester City?

He is talking about it from a coaches perspective.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11898 on: April 24, 2024, 03:04:42 pm »
I know we have a vacant managerial slot to fill, the club are taking it very literally in filling it arnt they?

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11899 on: April 24, 2024, 03:05:05 pm »
Not a fan of the Pep comparisons, I wonder if he stores his piss in jars too.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #11900 on: April 24, 2024, 03:06:47 pm »

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11901 on: April 24, 2024, 03:10:43 pm »

Curious to know what Ten-Hag’s was when at Ajax.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11902 on: April 24, 2024, 03:11:10 pm »

So Amorim it is based on the win %, FSG don't want him though so Tuchel it is, but if Klopp wants back in he'll have to wait until Slot declines as he's third best based on that.  :)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #11903 on: April 24, 2024, 03:13:49 pm »
Any comparison of fucking Arne Slots achievements, experience or anything else in my view to Klopp before arriving is utter crazy town.

If people want to get on the Slot train and start pretending heavyweight clubs in Europe are after him then go for it but not for me.

I will be open though and look forward to seeing how he starts and comes across, but I’m never going to be happy with such a massive gamble after the greatest manager of our generation walks out the door.

You have an interesting take on being 'open'...loading the bullets cocking the gun and finger firmly on the trigger..." yeah I'm open minded"

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11904 on: April 24, 2024, 03:14:18 pm »

A stretch indeed to compare the win rates of Klopp and Tuchel with two lads who have managed less than 300 games in B rate leagues. You can prove anything with stats.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11905 on: April 24, 2024, 03:14:38 pm »
No chance, it's a top 3 and then distance and the rest. That's not going to change.

So either we challenge straight away and keep up or you’re expecting another team to have an absolutely incredble level of improvement from now to next season

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11906 on: April 24, 2024, 03:16:17 pm »
As was appointing Klopp. If you consider winning titles and trophies in another country inexperience, then so was Klopp.

Is one league title in the Eredivisie when Ajax are shite the same as what Jurgen did in the Bundesliga against Bayern/Pep Guardiola?

[spoiler - it is not]

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11907 on: April 24, 2024, 03:17:00 pm »
A collection of Arne Slots anagrams make this. It’s in the stars!

lone star / learns to / snort ale / near lots / nor slate / nor steal / ole rants / real snot / lot saner

You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11908 on: April 24, 2024, 03:17:12 pm »
So either we challenge straight away and keep up or you’re expecting another team to have an absolutely incredble level of improvement from now to next season

I dont think a challenge straight away policy is helpful or should be the benchmark unless we really sign a number of top players. In that scenario we should expect some level of challenge but it shouldnt lead to pressure on a manager if he doesnt. This league is really difficult.

Anything lower than fourth is a disaster though.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11909 on: April 24, 2024, 03:18:07 pm »
You have an interesting take on being 'open'...loading the bullets cocking the gun and finger firmly on the trigger..." yeah I'm open minded"

;D

Yeah I meant open more in terms of giving him a fair crack when it comes to him arriving at the club and at the game. Would never get on a manager or players back at any match and never will.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11910 on: April 24, 2024, 03:19:16 pm »
I dont think a challenge straight away policy is helpful or should be the benchmark unless we really sign a number of top players. In that scenario we should expect some level of challenge but it shouldnt lead to pressure on a manager if he doesnt. This league is really difficult.

I agree

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11911 on: April 24, 2024, 03:19:42 pm »
I'm assuming people would have labeled Klopp as not good enough if he came here directly from Mainz instead of going to Dortmund first?

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #11912 on: April 24, 2024, 03:20:14 pm »
Listen I’m all for a laugh and a joke but I’m unsure how anyone can lash out over this appointment and write it off before a contract’s been signed.

We’ve had this for years with players, the hysteria around signing Robertson, Endo and probably a few others, where their Wikipedia page appeared to be a better way of looking at them rather than what the club will be looking at, which is data, character references, system fit, coaching style, resourcefulness etc and so many other attributes that are simply impossible for us to gauge or measure. If our only knock on him is he’s done it in a shite league then what an awful attitude to have. Go through all the managers that have won major leagues and CLs in the last 20-30 years and you’d probably turn your nose up at half.

I’ll back Edwards and Hughes all day before I lose my shit over someone being a winner or being big enough for the club. I think it’s an exciting appointment and shows the club continue to use their brains, something I was worried might not happen. He’s got a tall order on his hands but with the fanbase behind him that becomes easier.

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #11913 on: April 24, 2024, 03:20:31 pm »
There's a very obvious lack of exciting managers atm and bar Xabi no one really gives me confidence or excites me.
That's why I feel nothing but negative regardless of who comes in unfortunately.
Obviously the people working on this know better than anyone else but I just can't help but not feel excited or positive.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11914 on: April 24, 2024, 03:20:56 pm »
I'm assuming people would have labeled Klopp as not good enough if he came here directly from Mainz instead of going to Dortmund first?

It would never have happened though, would it?

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11915 on: April 24, 2024, 03:21:31 pm »
Not bad I would say. Mainly because there is a lack of quality available. Obviously Alonso was first choice but what can we do! I did like the Luis Enrique idea, doesn't matter who he won with, the main point is he has won a lot, similar to how Ancelotti won nothing with Everton (i.e. The players are still very important, manager alone cannot determine)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 03:24:00 pm by shook »

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11916 on: April 24, 2024, 03:22:13 pm »

5th and a champions League place anyway through the new rule and does it matter about the one position difference?

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11917 on: April 24, 2024, 03:23:05 pm »
5th and a champions League place anyway through the new rule and does it matter about the one position difference?

Doesn't 5th rely on the performance of other English teams in Europe? 5th looks like it'll miss out this season for example.

Offline blamski

• Main Stander
  • its weird, isn't it?
« Reply #11918 on: April 24, 2024, 03:23:18 pm »
Did anyone make the joke about hoping he'll slot right in yet?
If not, I'm making it right now.

Offline coct3au

• twins with arsefinger
  • Kopite
« Reply #11919 on: April 24, 2024, 03:24:47 pm »
Is this the way to Amorim? No.