Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 521727 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6920 on: March 30, 2024, 12:14:56 am »
Indeed but you go through their team and consider Walker, Dias, Rodri, Silva, Foden, Haaland and De Bruyne and 2 are 30 or older (albeit Dias is overrated).

Ours you would say Van Dijk, Konate, Trent, Robbo, Salah possibly Mac Allister. But in our case Salah and Van Dijk are literally our best two outfield players.

Nunez?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6921 on: March 30, 2024, 12:19:07 am »
Salah and Van Dijk are literally our two best outfield players. You also cant just disregard Robertson, he is still our best player on that side.

Agreed they are but every club has to replace every player at some point that is how it is.

They are going to be hard to replace but so is KDB.

Our biggest loss is Klopp and as much of a twat that he is Pep is the same for City.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6922 on: March 30, 2024, 12:19:15 am »
Nunez?

Maybe. Not yet though. But its Van Dijk and Salah as our absolute best so replacing them whilst also replacing a legend manager isnt easy and I think it will prove to be too difficult for the next manager.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6923 on: March 30, 2024, 12:20:13 am »
Agreed they are but every club has to replace every player at some point that is how it is.

They are going to be hard to replace but so is KDB.

Our biggest loss is Klopp and as much of a twat that he is Pep is the same for City.

Yes and thats what i meant the new manager will have two battles to deal with.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #6924 on: March 30, 2024, 12:26:03 am »
Yes and thats what i meant the new manager will have two battles to deal with.

This is just a way too negative way to look at things. You don't become a manager who is considered to be good enough for Liverpool, if your focus before taking the job is on how you are going to replace that legendary manager and how you then deal with replacing two great players and then coming to the conclusion that it's just too big a challenge. I would imagine top managers would rather look at what the team is like, what they can do with the players who are there and how they could strengthen the team. You don't need mourinho like arrogance, but top managers will have faith in their abilities. That doesn't mean they' can't be aware of the challenges, but they also will be focusing more on how they can overcome them instead of worrying about failing. I get the feeling that with Alonso it had nothing to do with having to follow klopp and replacing key players. It seems rather that he's eyeing the Real job next year.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6925 on: March 30, 2024, 12:29:08 am »
This is just a way too negative way to look at things. You don't become a manager who is considered to be good enough for Liverpool, if your focus before taking the job is on how you are going to replace that legendary manager and how you then deal with replacing two great players and then coming to the conclusion that it's just too big a challenge. I would imagine top managers would rather look at what he'd team is like, what they can do with the players who are there and how they could strengthen the team. You don't need mourinho like arrogance, but top managers will have faith in their abilities. That doesn't mean they' can't be aware of the challenges, but they also will be focusing more on how they can overcome them instead of worrying about failing. I get the feeling that with Alonso it had nothing to do with having to follow klopp and replacing key players. It seems rather that he's eyeing the Real job next year.

Thats a very professional belief but the human in anyone will consider it in my opinion. Anyway my point isnt whether they will be intimidated by it, my point is around the reality of the situation and whether any manager we have been linked with is able to deal with that .

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #6926 on: March 30, 2024, 12:41:51 am »
Thats a very professional belief but the human in anyone will consider it in my opinion. Anyway my point isnt whether they will be intimidated by it, my point is around the reality of the situation and whether any manager we have been linked with is able to deal with that .

The thing is though, they are professionals. They've been there and done it maybe on a smaller scale than Klopp, but they will have been successful with their club, they will have built a good team, they will have replaced good players, they will have built a relationship with their supporters. They know how to do it and they will believe that they can do it again. Especially when looking at the overall circumstances at Liverpool. We seem to have good scouting, a good youth setup and most of all we have a good team. Yes, we will have to replace mo and vvd at one point, but we also have a lot of players who could step up and if they don't we have the money to sign big players if we need to. Again, you look at mo and vvd. I would imagine a top manager will be also looking at trent, jota, Nunez, gakpo, gravenberch, Mac, Dom, konate, quansah, bradley, curtis, Harvey, kelleher, Diaz and gomez and will probably come to the conclusion that that's a very healthy core that can be used to build up on even if we have to replace mo and vvd at one point. Again, dealing with stuff like that is a manager's job and they should have confidence in themselves to deal with the challenges.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #6927 on: March 30, 2024, 12:48:25 am »
Did you used to ring those fucking horseshit transfer hotlines advertised on Ceefax?
:lmao
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6928 on: March 30, 2024, 12:54:25 am »
The fact that Joyce has done a piece on Amorim makes me think it’s going to be him and it’s almost a formality.

Think that has more to do with The Times and Joyce latching on to 'flavour of the hour' for hits.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #6929 on: March 30, 2024, 01:05:03 am »
Well, given the heightened sense of joy that has existed in this club since 2015 the next manager carries high stakes. It was for that reason my percentages were

90% Alonso     
10% Amorin
Anyone else and I lose a lot of enthusiasm unless convinced otherwise
I feel at risk now but I still have that 10% in the game.

Anyway, I probably have even more respect for Xavi now which does not help really given I don't support Bayer (although I have since January in a sense)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6930 on: March 30, 2024, 01:05:12 am »
Think that has more to do with The Times and Joyce latching on to 'flavour of the hour' for hits.
Na it's a clear signal. He doesn't usually do articles like this as far as I know? And he's clearly just got inside info the day before that alonso wasn't happening. I'm surprised there's not more being made of it on here since its that obvious he's been pointed in Amorims direction.

Watched them tonight and there are definitely similarities to how we play. They relentlessly went for the 3rd goal even though there was little threat coming their way. Biggest difference was they always had 3 back where as we would have 2. Their 9 who is being raved about looks a bit of a lump to me (albeit a willing runner) and doesn't seem to have the pace needed to be a top striker in the PL. All on one game that is so you can take it as fact...

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6931 on: March 30, 2024, 02:11:36 am »
Nah Joyce doesn’t seem to do that. Remember when he did that random article on Caicedo a couple of days before we put that bid in? He operates differently.

Anyway, Amorim excites me and terrifies me in equal measure. It’s clear that there isn’t a Klopp or Guardiola out there. There’s actually a bit of a lull in managerial talent at the moment. Seems we will be going for a young, inexperienced but data-driven choice. We could end up with the next big thing or we could end up with a damp squib like Rodgers, Villas-Boas, or ten Hag.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6932 on: March 30, 2024, 02:31:02 am »
Fair enough. Joyce’s articles are interesting regardless, just saw it as a smart way to capitalise on the man who the fans are talking about most.

His article references some data that shows how he is outperforming with Sporting, but what I’d love to know is what are the data experts within the club seeing, they must be seeing so much more than the standard data that’s reported.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6933 on: March 30, 2024, 02:48:45 am »
I'm pretty relaxed as long as Amorin has a decent hug game.
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6934 on: March 30, 2024, 03:05:32 am »
https://twitter.com/BenBocsak/status/1773480723388715464

Sporting CP have conceded the lowest expected goals in the Primeira Liga three times out of Ruben Amorim’s last four seasons at the club.

He has built a very solid defensive structure. Likes to play a high line - similar to Jürgen Klopp.

Although I don’t think his pressing game is as quite as intense as #LFC’s at the moment.

Impressive young coach.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6935 on: March 30, 2024, 03:12:59 am »
Fair enough. Joyce’s articles are interesting regardless, just saw it as a smart way to capitalise on the man who the fans are talking about most.

His article references some data that shows how he is outperforming with Sporting, but what I’d love to know is what are the data experts within the club seeing, they must be seeing so much more than the standard data that’s reported.
The data experts almost certainly use more metrics, but the point is that Joyce released an article about Amorim a day after he got inside info that alonso wasn't available. We'd be mad not think he's not been fed that.

Offline Jacob Ian

• Kopite
« Reply #6936 on: March 30, 2024, 03:27:41 am »
not to worry.
as they say, plenty more fish in the sea : 

Gerrard
Alonso
Mascherano
Kewell
Torres
Arbeloa
Kuyt
Riera
Dossena

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #6937 on: March 30, 2024, 04:06:32 am »
Good on Xabi. Shows class and commitment to remain at a club that he is obviously thriving in.

Go go Amorim.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #6938 on: March 30, 2024, 06:06:53 am »
Good on Xabi. Shows class and commitment to remain at a club that he is obviously thriving in.

Go go Amorim.

Unless he’s been told by Real to wait for a season.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6939 on: March 30, 2024, 06:15:19 am »
He isnt even in place to work for us. Also Liverpool will always be FSG’s main football asset so Edwards will be in charge.

Data used for legwork, but Liverpool always wanted to finalise structure before narrowing down the shortlist and interviewing.

Appointing Michael Edwards and Richard Hughes has allowed them to move forward. And Hughes can lead the search to replace Jurgen Klopp despite not officially starting until June 1. Bournemouth comfortable with this. All parties transparent.

Why would he lie? I’m no Jacobs fanboy but I’ve seen quite a lot of people suggesting Hughes won’t be having a say or picking the next bloke. I’d make a case that Hughes will probably have the biggest say of those involved, but his job will be to weigh up all of the evidence and then make a decision. I doubt very much he’ll be able to make a decision based on a hunch, but at the same time, we haven’t appointed him as our DoF to then be a puppet for someone else.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6940 on: March 30, 2024, 06:17:04 am »

Go go Amorim.

Agreed on this. Some of our fans want him to show loyalty to us and nobody else, not even himself.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6941 on: March 30, 2024, 07:18:50 am »
What a selfish prick he’s being now over this.

Preferred Ga-Ba anyway.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6942 on: March 30, 2024, 07:23:09 am »
I'm pretty relaxed as long as Amorin has a decent hug game.

Klopp will definitely be a hug loss for us.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6943 on: March 30, 2024, 07:31:18 am »
Ben Jacobs saying Richard Hughes is leading the manager recruitment process. Howe does that make everyone feel?

Don’t know what else people would expect really. He’s going to be the sporting director and the relationship he has with the new manager will be the most important one to determining our future success.

And no, he doesn’t officially start until June 1st but our journos have suggested he’ll be involved prior to that. And Jacobs seems to say Bournemouth are fine with that.

If Edwards had come back as SD, and Gordon remained in his post, nobody would be saying it’d be Gordon picking the manager over Edwards. That’s obviously not to say that Edwards won’t be a key decision maker, but he’s not going to install a manager that Hughes hasn’t had input/veto on IMO.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6944 on: March 30, 2024, 07:39:43 am »
Agreed on this. Some of our fans want him to show loyalty to us and nobody else, not even himself.
I think they just assume its a holding pattern until the Real job comes open. Time will tell, I guess. But until then. Yes, good on him.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6945 on: March 30, 2024, 07:45:00 am »
Imagine if he turned up to Anfield via skateboard though, he’d be called a goth in about 30 seconds I reckon  ;D

He could at least get a motorbike like Ayre.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6946 on: March 30, 2024, 07:50:08 am »
I think they just assume its a holding pattern until the Real job comes open. Time will tell, I guess. But until then. Yes, good on him.

Even if it is, so what? If that’s the path he wants to take in his career, let him do it. Guardiola started at Barca, then went to Bayern, then came to England for by far the longest stint in his career. There’s no science to this, but if in Xabi’s head he’s thinking the Premier League is the end game, or he’ll succeed the most if he arrives here with experience of multiple leagues and levels, who are we to argue? None of us know the man. If I was 18 months into my job and somebody was offering me three of the five most demanding jobs in my profession, I’d probably take a step back and think am I rushing? Am I being a bit naive/impulsive? He’s quite clearly switched on, if he ends up being as good a manager as they’re saying, there’ll be plenty of chances to manage the club down the line.

Offline Oh Jimmy Jimmy

• Main Stander
« Reply #6947 on: March 30, 2024, 07:59:33 am »
Nah Joyce doesn’t seem to do that. Remember when he did that random article on Caicedo a couple of days before we put that bid in? He operates differently.

Anyway, Amorim excites me and terrifies me in equal measure. It’s clear that there isn’t a Klopp or Guardiola out there. There’s actually a bit of a lull in managerial talent at the moment. Seems we will be going for a young, inexperienced but data-driven choice. We could end up with the next big thing or we could end up with a damp squib like Rodgers, Villas-Boas, or ten Hag.

Agree with this. Amorim might be the next big thing but I don’t want a 39 year old who has never managed outside Portugal being Jurgen’s successor. It’s too big a job and think there we should avoid doing a “ Brendan” and appoint the latest hotshot on the back of 1-2 seasons - would rule out Alonso too.

If we are going for this generation though, I would go for 44 year old De Zebri who managed two top 8 finishes with Sassulo playing great football, and will probably do the same with Brighton. Earlier in the season, both Jurgen and Pep referred to him as “ the best coach” . He should bring Milly with him as his Assistant - always thought he had management material.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6948 on: March 30, 2024, 08:06:07 am »
Agree with this. Amorim might be the next big thing but I don’t want a 39 year old who has never managed outside Portugal being Jurgen’s successor. It’s too big a job and think there we should avoid doing a “ Brendan” and appoint the latest hotshot on the back of 1-2 seasons - would rule out Alonso too.

In fairness, the situation Rodgers took over versus the situation the next boss takes over are world's apart. From the squad to the structure behind the scenes, there's so much more going for Klopp's successor.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #6949 on: March 30, 2024, 08:13:18 am »
Amorim sounds best of the managers that we seem to be looking at.
But, does anybody know why Pep is not interested? Our Pep not the cheats Pep.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6950 on: March 30, 2024, 08:14:04 am »
The fact that Joyce has done a piece on Amorim makes me think it’s going to be him and it’s almost a formality.

Which piece is this? The only one I’ve seen was in the Mail?

Offline Oh Jimmy Jimmy

• Main Stander
« Reply #6951 on: March 30, 2024, 08:19:00 am »
In fairness, the situation Rodgers took over versus the situation the next boss takes over are world's apart. From the squad to the structure behind the scenes, there's so much more going for Klopp's successor.

True, fine-tuning and keeping the show on the road is what is required, so in a way an internal appointment makes sense aka ‘74.

The safest choice of course would probably be Pochettino….a top manager who understands the pressures of big clubs, plays the same type of high intensity football, and is an excellent  man manager like Jurgen.
He has the required kudos, which will be important for the Virgils, Mos, Allisons etc.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6952 on: March 30, 2024, 08:20:40 am »
i not totally on board with De Zerbi due to his defensive stats
But he is way over hated in this thread.

He is an excellent coach incredible at getting teams attacking to their potential

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #6954 on: March 30, 2024, 08:28:11 am »

Maybe revisit this statement in a year’s time when ancelotti leaves Madrid. If he turns Madrid down then as well then fair enough but if he’s been told by Madrid to stay there for another season before taking over then that’s a totally different matter.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6955 on: March 30, 2024, 08:32:18 am »
Maybe revisit this statement in a year’s time when ancelotti leaves Madrid. If he turns Madrid down then as well then fair enough but if he’s been told by Madrid to stay there for another season before taking over then that’s a totally different matter.

Why is it?

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6956 on: March 30, 2024, 08:35:38 am »
i not totally on board with De Zerbi due to his defensive stats
But he is way over hated in this thread.

He is an excellent coach incredible at getting teams attacking to their potential

I can remember being told for years that Klopp wasn’t a good defensive coach (by opposition fans, I know) and that he only knew how to attack. Then we signed Van Dijk, Alisson and Fabinho and suddenly we became a bit of a defensive juggernaut in modern terms. Have a look at Brighton’s defence, goalkeeper and holding midfielders. I’m not arguing they’re defensively strong or anything, but I do think we need to remember it’s Brighton, he’s massively overachieving with them and their squad is essentially made up of players that are developing or past their peak. Attached this screenshot from TAW’s analysis on him, look how few minutes have been played by players in their peak years.

Some of the numbers they put up when they had Mac Allister and Caicedo were outrageous. The players they’ve signed have failed to replace them so far (Dahoud, Baleba) or been injured all season (Enciso). He’s shown what he can do with quality players is outstanding.

Online btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6957 on: March 30, 2024, 08:46:17 am »

Thats all good. he will regret not taking this chance for rest of his life
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 08:47:55 am by btroom »

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #6958 on: March 30, 2024, 08:46:40 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/emct2yI50Fk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/emct2yI50Fk</a>

Offline Entropicity

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6959 on: March 30, 2024, 08:47:40 am »
Managerial skill/talent and romance are great (Alonso) but if we can't get Alonso then we're going to get someone with the skills and talent... Utd made a mistake prioritizing the romanticism with OGS.