Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 509938 times)

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6640 on: March 29, 2024, 02:56:38 pm »
Think Alonso wanting to have a crack at the Champions League and retaining the league with Leverkusen is admirable. He’s almost certainly been given assurances by the club that they’ll be resolute this summer. That, or he’s saying he’ll stay to get the attention away for the rest of the season to not distract them from the task at hand, and he’ll change his position in the summer once the job is complete.

Assuming Xabi is true to his word though, it makes for a tough appointment with no perfect options (even Alonso wasn’t perfect, in reality). Emery, De Zerbi, Xavi, Amorim, Pochettino, Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Enrique, Schmidt, Conceicao, Big Ange would be the likely longlist. Deschamps would be a wild card I’d like us to analyse too.

They all have potential issues but all have clear qualities too. Can’t say I could pick a clear favourite from them, and I expect the majority of the fanbase would agree with me in not seeing a clear reason to pick any of them over Peo Ljinders. He’s obviously got his potential issues too, but it at least provides continuity, and could allow the hiring of some top assistants beneath him to fill the gap in qualities left by Klopp and Kraweitz. Obviously there will still be qualities we are missing from this year to last, but that will always be the case after Klopp, the job is to minimise the impact that has.

I’m not saying it has to be Ljinders, nor that he’s definitely a better candidate but to me, he feels like the most likely to avoid disrupting the current momentum.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6641 on: March 29, 2024, 02:58:18 pm »
I wouldn't put too much stock in that Klopp heaps praise in everyone.

Yeah, I know, I wasn't being entirely serious :P

He was obviously asked about Brighton today so was just complementary as usual, as he is about everyone.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6642 on: March 29, 2024, 03:01:08 pm »
We won a CL in a similar time frame and have gotten to two finals. Thats whats elevated Klopp to the best manager status.

Klopp is beyond elite though, he's the best there is in the game.

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6643 on: March 29, 2024, 03:02:25 pm »
The backlash against De Zerbi does feel a bit over-the-top. He wouldn't be in my top 3 choices, but that's more because I'm not sure his personality is the right fit for us.

To act like the job he's doing at Brighton is something most managers could do is pretty off-base - they were in Europe, with a squad undermined by key players leaving and injuries, and are still on track for the joint-second best season in their history. Is their squad that much better than Wolves (who O'Neill is rightly being praised for taking to the top half), man-for-man?

If he had left in the summer and Brighton was subsequently relegated under an ok manager like Nuno, I think a lot of us would've seen it as a Southampton situation - "well, you're always at risk of a downwards spiral when you lose your best players each season" - rather than some kind of major shock.

Sebastian Hoeness is an interesting shout I hadn't thought about before - do Stuttgart have a style reasonably comparable to us? He would of course be another gamble, but as many others have said already, there is no appointment that wouldn't be a significant calculated gamble, short of nicking Ancelotti after he gets sacked for losing to Man City and only winning La Liga.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6644 on: March 29, 2024, 03:04:49 pm »
Another thing to consider is how the players will see a new appointment and how quickly a manager can get them on side. The fact is the players here a lot have won the lot and they will quickly determine whether the new guy can earn their respect or not.

Thats where managers like Thomas Frank and De Zerbi fall down.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6645 on: March 29, 2024, 03:06:11 pm »
Klopp is beyond elite though, he's the best there is in the game.

Correct, its an impossible act to follow. Think of the state this club was in back in 2015 and how quickly it turned around, its fucking mental.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6646 on: March 29, 2024, 03:07:00 pm »
To me Tuchel has always been my number two. We can contend for a CL title right away with him (although his league form is subpar from elite imo).  Zidane is three.

I rather have a really experienced figure at the helm for two years before we get the manager we really want in the long term than taking a chance or an inexperiencied guy we are not too sure about. 

This is not the same as 2012 when we were forced to take a punt on Rodgers. Now we are in a position when we can bring a guy that is clearly a top 15 name in the game for a couple years.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6647 on: March 29, 2024, 03:07:57 pm »
Correct, its an impossible act to follow. Think of the state this club was in back in 2015 and how quickly it turned around, its fucking mental.

Yep and its also a warning to those who seem to want to put all their stock in numbers and data. The fact is a lot of this success is down to Klopp, the majority of it anyway.

Seems like there are a number in the media who are obsessed with the stats stuff. There was a podcaster say about Kellaher that the fact that Brighton and Brentford were targeting him should make us think twice about selling him because if they want him and we dont then we are doing something wrong. Err, they are not better clubs than us.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 03:10:17 pm by killer-heels »

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6648 on: March 29, 2024, 03:08:44 pm »
To me Tuchel has always been my number two. We can contend for a CL title right away with him (although his league form is subpar from elite imo).  Zidane is three.

I rather have a really experienced figure at the helm for two years before we get the manager we really want in the long term than taking a chance or an inexperiencied guy we are not too sure about. 

This is not the same as 2012 when we were forced to take a punt on Rodgers. Now we are in a position when we can bring a guy that is clearly a top 15 name in the game for a couple years.

Tuchel certainly is a number 2

Online ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6649 on: March 29, 2024, 03:09:27 pm »

Football results aside, he just seems like such a toxic manager. No way would we want him anywhere near the club.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6650 on: March 29, 2024, 03:10:07 pm »
Tuchel will have us competing all fronts in season one before getting sacked midway through season two as he falls out with Edwards, Hughes, half the squad, and the tea lady.
King Kenny.

Online Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6651 on: March 29, 2024, 03:13:12 pm »
For all of our domination under Klopp we've won one title under him due to the City/Pep situation. I think holding that against Arteta is similar to when people used to call Klopp a bottler due to his record in finals.

Klopp helped us achieve 90+ pts in three separate PL seasons for manager to do that and only get trophy once is pretty unique. In the two seasons we missed out a point we had arse handed to us by poor refs. I kinda accepted 18/19 but loosing the title in 21/22 was down to some really strange, some would say corrupt refereeing.

Arteta did well last year but his team fell away badly towards the end.
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6652 on: March 29, 2024, 03:17:02 pm »
Tuchel should fall foul of any club’s No Dickhead rule.

He’s a snide overrated little rat - Mourinho lite, and appointing him would be worse than when Hodgson somehow landed the job.

Can’t stand the fucker.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6653 on: March 29, 2024, 03:17:07 pm »
The Tuchel/Zidane point is moot anyway, the club clearly wants  a young manager to take over not a stop gap for the next 2 seasons.  I dont know nearly enough about the managers to have a clear choice. My uninformed hunch is Amorin. He has Mourinho vibes though but rather him than De Zerbi or Frank.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6654 on: March 29, 2024, 03:17:36 pm »

Yep, a particularly smelly one at that.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6655 on: March 29, 2024, 03:17:40 pm »
If Xabi's really out i don't know who'd be the best for us from the rest of the options available,what i do know is i don't want a character like Tuchel at the club.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6656 on: March 29, 2024, 03:19:23 pm »

Way to lower the tone.

And I'm definitely not jealous you got there before me.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6657 on: March 29, 2024, 03:21:38 pm »
The other possible stop gap is Zidane. But it seems to me like he worked with  Real Madrid because the players over there were world class and experienced. Our current Liverpool squad is young. I think we will take a punt on Amorim and hope it works. Im Ok with that.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6658 on: March 29, 2024, 03:21:59 pm »
Torres in the race?  ;D

Fernando Torres wil be at the AXA Training Centre to learn from Jurgen Klopp today and tomorrow before attending the game against Brighton on Sunday.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #6659 on: March 29, 2024, 03:23:41 pm »
Another thing to consider is how the players will see a new appointment and how quickly a manager can get them on side. The fact is the players here a lot have won the lot and they will quickly determine whether the new guy can earn their respect or not.

Thats where managers like Thomas Frank and De Zerbi fall down.
Agreed. I would not feel confident that Mo and Virgil will stay for Frank or de Zerbi. I think they are more likely to give Amorim a chance among the mangers who haven't managed one of the top clubs in the game.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6660 on: March 29, 2024, 03:30:21 pm »
Agreed. I would not feel confident that Mo and Virgil will stay for Frank or de Zerbi. I think they are more likely to give Amorim a chance among the mangers who haven't managed one of the top clubs in the game.

To be fair they will have both Amorim and Hughes in front of them and wonder what experience either of them have.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6661 on: March 29, 2024, 03:31:24 pm »
Ruben Amorim is now Liverpool's number one contender.

[@LewisSteele_]

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6662 on: March 29, 2024, 03:33:02 pm »
Thiago as player manager.

Heard it here 1st
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6663 on: March 29, 2024, 03:33:39 pm »
Bellingham all over again

What are you on about? Alonso seems to have decided this, no one else. That is up to him.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6664 on: March 29, 2024, 03:34:25 pm »

He is probably the best choice for us overall anyway.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6665 on: March 29, 2024, 03:35:01 pm »
I think Amorim punching above his weight is what puts him as clear favourite. Outperforming the resources given to him is music to FSG's ears and bound to make Edwards and co giddy.

Yeah, I see comparisons made to similar quality leagues like Ten Haag but Ajax were by far the strongest team in Netherlands with an outstanding generation of talent. Amorim's Sporting are much smaller in comparison.

Then again Shteve McClaren somehow won the Dutch league with unfancied Twente, so what do I know.

Offline Markus_12

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #6666 on: March 29, 2024, 03:36:38 pm »
Amorim looks like a good candidate, but it will be a big adjustment for him after spending his whole playing and coaching career in Portugal. I like that one of his best strengths is apparently his communication skills.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6667 on: March 29, 2024, 03:37:27 pm »
Our set-up really likes the Portuguese league too.  We’ve been pretty keen in buying players directly from that league, and Klopp himself praised it as a good league with a lot of tactical acumen.  Portugal certainly punches above its weight (relatively low population) with managers.

Players from that league don’t seem any slower to adapt than from other good leagues, and the club’s admiration for that league would certainly place Amorim highly.
King Kenny.

Offline axlrose

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6668 on: March 29, 2024, 03:40:28 pm »
I want Amorim

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6669 on: March 29, 2024, 03:42:01 pm »
I want Amorim
Have you slid in to his dm’s?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6670 on: March 29, 2024, 03:43:24 pm »
Interesting to see how big profile players react to him and Hughes. Two people with relative small profiles in football with no experience of working with the best players.

They'd be asking Milner about him or Lallana.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #6671 on: March 29, 2024, 03:44:16 pm »
As was Shankly

An impossible act to follow. Think of the state this club was in back in 1959 and how quickly it turned around, its fucking mental.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #6672 on: March 29, 2024, 03:44:57 pm »
I want Amorim
Anything less is disappointing now
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #6673 on: March 29, 2024, 03:47:01 pm »

Way to lower the tone.

And I'm definitely not jealous you got there before me.

"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline axlrose

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6674 on: March 29, 2024, 03:47:46 pm »
I hope Amorim's next Anfield experience will be much better than this.
Edit: Even Lucas scored!

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6675 on: March 29, 2024, 03:48:25 pm »
What are you on about? Alonso seems to have decided this, no one else. That is up to him.

We're all assuming Xabi has turned us down. But maybe he has made the decision to stay at Leverkusen because Edwards has told him Amorim was actually our top choice all along.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6676 on: March 29, 2024, 03:48:44 pm »
Tuchel should fall foul of any club’s No Dickhead rule.

He’s a snide overrated little rat - Mourinho lite, and appointing him would be worse than when Hodgson somehow landed the job.

Can’t stand the fucker.

He was a good fit for Chelsea really.

There's big name managers/proven winners who we wouldn't go near. Mourinho, Tuchel, Conte, Simeone, maybe Zidane. Not just the personality factor and abrasive personality that would clash with the board, but their style of football. We want a certain style of play which narrows down the candidates a lot. It's why we ended up wth Martinez and Rodgers at the top of a shortlist back in 2012. We could have got a bigger name but wanted a young, progressive manager who ticks different boxes.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6677 on: March 29, 2024, 03:48:53 pm »
 :-X

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6678 on: March 29, 2024, 03:49:07 pm »
Torres to become Amorim's assistant?  ;D

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6679 on: March 29, 2024, 03:49:08 pm »
I have been hearing a lot about how De Zerbi is Edwards guy. Now Alonso has ruled himself out it's very possible.

And Hughes is a big admirer of his.