Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 507323 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6520 on: March 29, 2024, 01:08:38 pm »
I admire your optimism but I don't think we will. There's the things Klopp brings which is getting us draws from loses and wins from draws which allows us to keep up with a doped up bohemouth, and our next manager be it Amorim or De Zerbi is going to have to learn that.

If we don't challenge for the title would you be considering that as bad from the new manager? Let's say it that way

I dont think there will that much criticism if a manager continues to get us top four. Think if we are three seasons in and we havent won a couple of trophies in that situation maybe it turns. But the club isnt firing a manager if he gets top four for the first three seasons.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:10:12 pm by killer-heels »

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6521 on: March 29, 2024, 01:10:47 pm »
On Amorim, it's also appealing that he won the domestic cup with Braga. He was only in charge there from December 2019 to March 2020, before Sporting paid 10m euros to take him as their new manager. That is quite a fee to pay for someone who'd managed at a senior level for just four months... suggests to me that the perception of him was sky high.

Since then, he's won the league with Sporting and the domestic cup twice. That's good going for a side that are very much third to Porto and Benfica, and he has the chance to win a second title this season (looks to be between them and Benfica, with Sporting a point ahead with a game in hand).

He seems sounds, speaks fluent English, has developed players there quite well, shown he can get a side to overperform. No idea if he'd succeed here but feels like that would be the case for anyone we appoint. Need to realise that there's a not small chance that we'll be back in the managerial market in 12 months, regardless of who we appoint.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6522 on: March 29, 2024, 01:11:53 pm »
I dont think there will that much criticism if a manager continues to get us top four. Think if we are three seasons in and we havent won a couple of trophies in that situation maybe it turns. But the club isnt firing a manager if he gets top four for the first three seasons.

Think you're massively underestimating the expectation shift.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6523 on: March 29, 2024, 01:14:55 pm »

In the fans maybe, but not in the club and certainly not with FSG. They are not sacking a manager that gets us top four in a league like this.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6524 on: March 29, 2024, 01:17:24 pm »
On Amorim, it's also appealing that he won the domestic cup with Braga. He was only in charge there from December 2019 to March 2020, before Sporting paid 10m euros to take him as their new manager. That is quite a fee to pay for someone who'd managed at a senior level for just four months... suggests to me that the perception of him was sky high.

Since then, he's won the league with Sporting and the domestic cup twice. That's good going for a side that are very much third to Porto and Benfica, and he has the chance to win a second title this season (looks to be between them and Benfica, with Sporting a point ahead with a game in hand).

He seems sounds, speaks fluent English, has developed players there quite well, shown he can get a side to overperform. No idea if he'd succeed here but feels like that would be the case for anyone we appoint. Need to realise that there's a not small chance that we'll be back in the managerial market in 12 months, regardless of who we appoint.

Also Sporting being in that city i believe is a big advantage, he is part of the expectation and the passion that it drives.

Think that last sentence is key, i wouldnt be surprised if the next manager gets given a 3-year deal as well. Think the club will have an acceptation of some sort of continuation in performance (i.e. top four) but i think fans need to be prepared for the possibility that we are looking for a manager again in within 24 months.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6525 on: March 29, 2024, 01:17:46 pm »

The little spell at Braga was madness, they couldn't beat any of the big 3 before him then he did them all 5 times in 4 weeks, that's absolutely insane.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #6526 on: March 29, 2024, 01:17:53 pm »
Oh well, football was fun while it lasted.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6527 on: March 29, 2024, 01:18:11 pm »

I agree, I think top 4 for the next 3 or so years with the new manager is ok, and see where they are after that for us to kick on.

But Jack thinks we could challenge next year still, so I am interested if that's going to reflect if they don't and instead just get top 4 and no trophies

Offline 1918

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6528 on: March 29, 2024, 01:19:21 pm »

Agreed. Often hear from various quarters that Klopp “should have won more” when winning more meant beating Madrid and City. And that was Klopp not a new manager.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6529 on: March 29, 2024, 01:20:43 pm »
Given the names that are currently being mentioned, I don't think we go after them but what about someone like Roger Schmidt or Marco Rose

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #6530 on: March 29, 2024, 01:22:10 pm »
Call me crazy but I would be up for Stevie over all these other names being mentioned now
WTF has he done to warrant even being mentioned as a potential Liverpool manager
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6531 on: March 29, 2024, 01:22:28 pm »
Agreed. Often hear from various quarters that Klopp “should have won more” when winning more meant beating Madrid and City. And that was Klopp not a new manager.

yes, from trolls on Twitter doing the Klopp/Liverpool Bad thing for attention (and paid engagement these days for the blue ticks).

I agree by the way expectations will be high due to the strong state of the club off the pitch, and the squad the new manager will inherit. But those you mentioned above are doing that with other motives (jealousy being a big part of it to).  Anyone who actually matters or who understands the league and the sport knows he’s done an incredible job in the face of competing the whole time with cheats with no financial restrictions.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6532 on: March 29, 2024, 01:23:10 pm »
I agree, I think top 4 for the next 3 or so years with the new manager is ok, and see where they are after that for us to kick on.

But Jack thinks we could challenge next year still, so I am interested if that's going to reflect if they don't and instead just get top 4 and no trophies

At this stage its difficult to ask someone now if we dont challenge whether thats good enough. It is if the likes of Van Dijk and Salah were in their mid to late 20’s. Right now with their ages, with the contract situation of several players, what happens with all that this summer will have a big indicator. Who do we lose, who do we bring in and even what happens in the next 6 weeks all plays an important role.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6533 on: March 29, 2024, 01:23:17 pm »
The Alonso news is devastatingly bad no doubt about it. For me it's obvious he's probably an agreement in place with Madrid with Carlo leaving next season and it probably makes more sense for him to go there as he may never get that opportunity again so i don't blame him. That said would be hilarious if he had a wicked time there and was sacked after 6 months and ended up managing mid table dross like West Ham or Newcastle  ;D

As for the other choices im not going to pretend i know a lot about Amorim or De Zerbi but i just hope the club don't do something stupid like bring in a Mourinho, Gerrard or Southgate  :-\

Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #6534 on: March 29, 2024, 01:23:46 pm »
I wonder if Xabi wants to be the Liverpool manager but not the manager who has the pretty unenviable task of following Jurgen?

We all know what happened when Kenny left and we got it wrong for so long afterwards and we cannot allow that to happen again.

Whoever replaces Jurgen will have one hell of a job so maybe Xabi is thinking it is better to replace the man who replaced Jurgen, rather than the man who replaced Jurgen?
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #6535 on: March 29, 2024, 01:23:46 pm »
Shame about Xabi, think he's making a mistake, his stock will never be higher than this season. I reckon he's been told he'll be offered the Madrid job once Ancillotti gets sacked/retires so he's keeping his powder dry for that
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:26:42 pm by Wabaloolah »

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6536 on: March 29, 2024, 01:24:21 pm »
Call me crazy but I would be up for Stevie over all these other names being mentioned now

Fair enough, you are crazy.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #6537 on: March 29, 2024, 01:24:49 pm »
Shame about Xabi, think he's making a mistake, his stick will never be higher than this season. I reckon he's been told he'll be offered the Madrid job once Ancillotti gets sacked/retires so he's keeping his powder dry for that

fnar fnar

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #6538 on: March 29, 2024, 01:24:57 pm »
I wonder if Xabi wants to be the Liverpool manager but not the manager who has the pretty unenviable task of following Jurgen?

We all know what happened when Kenny left and we got it wrong for so long afterwards and we cannot allow that to happen again.

Whoever replaces Jurgen will have one hell of a job so maybe Xabi is thinking it is better to replace the man who replaced Jurgen, rather than the man who replaced Jurgen?
the club is in a much stronger place now than it was then, more akin to 1974 when Shanks retired rather than Kenny going due to the pressures of Hillsborough.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6539 on: March 29, 2024, 01:25:20 pm »

Possibly but then it will show he doesnt have confidence in himself and in that scenario some legends of the club have probably left, so its working from the ground up again.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6540 on: March 29, 2024, 01:25:21 pm »
The Alonso news is devastatingly bad no doubt about it. For me it's obvious he's probably an agreement in place with Madrid with Carlo leaving next season and it probably makes more sense for him to go there as he may never get that opportunity again so i don't blame him. That said would be hilarious if he had a wicked time there and was sacked after 6 months and ended up managing mid table dross like West Ham or Newcastle  ;D

As for the other choices im not going to pretend i know a lot about Amorim or De Zerbi but i just hope the club don't do something stupid like bring in a Mourinho, Gerrard or Southgate  :-\

oh come on  ;D

Not sure why the Alonso thing is devastatingly bad either. Imagine the drama if he was here, anytime Madrid wanted a new coach, he’d not be here long regardless, he’s always going back to Spain, so may as well skip a step!

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #6541 on: March 29, 2024, 01:25:23 pm »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6542 on: March 29, 2024, 01:26:12 pm »
Xabi Alonso: “I had a good meeting with Bayer Leverkusen and I informed them that I will STAY and continue at the club”.

“After lot of talks about my future, I used the break to reflect and make my decision”.

“This is the place to be for me”

Good. Didn't want him anyway. Next.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:48:08 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6543 on: March 29, 2024, 01:27:41 pm »
I don’t understand the decision personally but it is what it is.

Offline eyescream

• ewes'cream
  • Kopite
« Reply #6544 on: March 29, 2024, 01:27:51 pm »

Pep The Bald is leaving ADFC next summer too. Hope we don't see Alonso there.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #6545 on: March 29, 2024, 01:28:39 pm »

I agree. You’ve got to be mad to turn us down over a project that could fall on its face next season

He won’t get another chance

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6546 on: March 29, 2024, 01:28:51 pm »

I’m sure ownership will be more than fine with solid top 4 and the fan base too so slightly different to the question of yours I was answering which was just my opinion of where we’ll be

My view is there’s no real reason why we won’t challenge for the title unless there’s a mass exodus of players … our talent level is as high as anyone in the league and many of them will be better next year than this purely due to being closer to their peak age etc
We’ll also add in the summer
We can debate how much of our level is klopp vs generic good coach but on the other side of the ledger it’s hard to imagine an injury crisis as bad as this year 

City are on the downside of their ridiculous peak and need some surgery, Arsenal will be good again but after that it’s really hard to see anyone closing the gap
We’re a +1 xg / 90 team with way more than average injuries and a lot of young players many in their first season in this league … hard to imagine we won’t be as strong next year and that’s a title challenging level
In general people are being way too pessimistic about where we’re at and how much we’ll lose with a non klopp manager
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:32:01 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6547 on: March 29, 2024, 01:29:41 pm »

Or despite the PR otherwise he’s always seen Madrid as a better destination than us. Second time he’s opted for them over us and there’s no Barry boogeyman to blame this time.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6548 on: March 29, 2024, 01:29:44 pm »

Klopp is leaving the club and playing staff in pristine condition for the next manager. There would never be a better time to walk into the job than this Summer. Anyway i wouldn't want anyone leading the club who is worried about following the previous manager he should have the belief to be better than the last manager and lead us on to better things.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #6549 on: March 29, 2024, 01:30:22 pm »
I’d be excited by Naggelsman, De Zerbi or Amorim - they’re all progressive young coaches that produce attacking football… happy with whichever the club picks to be honest
yep, just got to trust Michael Edwards to get the choice right

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #6550 on: March 29, 2024, 01:31:36 pm »

I think this is what sets him apart from other candidates, he's a winner. Sure, de Zerbi's teams play attractive football, but his managerial win % is 41.41 plus the only trophy of note that he's won is the Ukranian Super Cup. Amorim's managerial career win % is 70.51, with it being 69.9% at Sporting over a 4 year period and 430 goals scored in 206 games he's managed for them (178 conceded). His stats are off the scale compared to the other names being mentioned, and we all know that FSG love their stats.

Online Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #6551 on: March 29, 2024, 01:32:51 pm »
Or despite the PR otherwise he’s always seen Madrid as a better destination than us. Second time he’s opted for them over us and there’s no Barry boogeyman to blame this time.

I suspect that is the case - I can envisage him going to Madrid and, if it goes well, on to Man City after a few seasons. Once a manager gets a chance at a ‘cheat code’ club, they rarely go back to anything less than a sure thing until they flop somewhere and are forced to.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #6552 on: March 29, 2024, 01:34:10 pm »
Maybe he doesn't want to manage LFC, pretty ridiculous how people thought this was inevitable, similar to Gerrard a couple of years ago.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6553 on: March 29, 2024, 01:34:18 pm »
With City still around the only real expectation I would have from a new manager is regular CL football until something changes, if it ever does.

Can't help but think that was Xabi's one chance to join us, I don't see an explanation for why he'd wait for them over us that ends with the people running our club thinking he'll be the right man for us in the future.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #6554 on: March 29, 2024, 01:34:32 pm »

Pretty much this. He’s clearly got an agreement with Madrid to take over in the summer of 2025. No doubt there will be some PR bullshit when he inevitably gets the sack from Madrid at some point and comes out with Liverpool job being his dream job or something.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #6555 on: March 29, 2024, 01:34:56 pm »
"And ill be off next year to Madrid so there's that as well"

How so? If he has a blip Madrid will look elsewhere as quick as breathe
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6556 on: March 29, 2024, 01:35:01 pm »

It's really not, eat another easter egg.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6557 on: March 29, 2024, 01:36:37 pm »
Maybe he doesn't want to manage LFC, pretty ridiculous how people thought this was inevitable, similar to Gerrard a couple of years ago.

I never thought it was inevitable like.

Fuck him, we will end his unbeaten run in the Europa final!

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6558 on: March 29, 2024, 01:36:53 pm »
I think some people think Alonso loves Liverpool. But we were only ever a stepping stone for him. He doesn't support us or have the same relationship with the club that we do. So I'm not really surprised that he's chosen to stay (then doubtless end up at Madrid)

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #6559 on: March 29, 2024, 01:37:26 pm »
I agree. You’ve got to be mad to turn us down over a project that could fall on its face next season

He won’t get another chance

He might. You just never know.

So, Amorim then or possibly De Zerbi
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019