Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 503268 times)

Online Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6480 on: March 29, 2024, 12:33:31 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68368787

Ruben Amorim (Sporting Lisbon) - even better than the real thing?
Portuguese manager Amorim, 39, has emerged as Carteret's surprise ideal candidate to take over at Anfield.

His stock has risen after guiding Sporting to their first top-flight title in 19 years in 2021 and Carteret says all the analytics point to him "becoming a very compelling option as the next Liverpool manager".

Those findings make allowances for the fact Amorim's experience is in a less competitive league, but say his strategic intelligence rating, his tactical command rating, success-adjusted attacking coefficient and shot creation ratio are all even higher than Klopp's, with an equivalent shot conversion rating and overall levels of possession.

According to this analysis Amorim would be the best pick regardless whoever we get next will be a risk.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6481 on: March 29, 2024, 12:34:59 pm »
I wouldn't want Frank or De Zerbi personally. But in De Zerbi's case I wouldn;t be surprised if he ends up at one of Liverpool, Barcelona or Bayern this summer. He's one of the most attractive candidates out there.

In terms of Frank, I don't think he's an option but you can understand why people might suggest him when there's no outstanding candidates.

People don;t like Nagglesman. People don't like De Zerbi. People don;t like Frank or O'Neil.

Who do people realistically want? I suspect people are saying Amorim due to lack of exposure. He's not managed a mid-table PL team. He's not failed at a t big club, like Bayern. He has less baggage than those other options, mainly due to lack of exposure. Does that make him a better manager?

Really like to hear who you would suggest because I think the potential being suggested are some of the best options out there. Even if they seem underwhelming.

I dont think any of them are good enough to have us competing but I wouldnt mind any of them bar Nagelsman. We all have to accept that we are getting a significant downgrade, the manager has issues and you just hope they do a good job.

Offline TeddyMc

• Boys Pen
« Reply #6482 on: March 29, 2024, 12:35:06 pm »
Is Ruben Amorim fluent in English?

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6483 on: March 29, 2024, 12:36:25 pm »
There is a possibility all that isnt factored in. There is a possibility that now the nerds have taken over, that they think they can operate with that system of having a plug in coach whilst the nerds churn away and run the place. Edwards must have been promised quite a bit of power in that sense and its interesting how such a position was never offered before.

Quite possibly, although as supporters we expect our manager to a standard bearer not just for the team and Club but also for us. A "plug in" manipulated by nerds is a recipie for disaster if you ask me.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6484 on: March 29, 2024, 12:36:27 pm »
;D

Kimmich has just got a punchable face! He’s a classic ‘love him if he was on your team’ type players. Arrogant, gobby, irritating, snide etc etc etc.

I may be incorrect and I apologize to Kimmich for this, but doesn't he have some alternative views on politics and society

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #6485 on: March 29, 2024, 12:36:40 pm »

Yes.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6486 on: March 29, 2024, 12:36:55 pm »
Illustrates the generational genius of Pep and Klopp that makes any alternative pale in significance. The bar is almost impossibly high.

That said, there’s a strong whiff of the transfer threads in here - people getting irate at links and rumours while dismissing names because of their lack of glamour.

It’s going to be a long summer with this one, I suspect.

Yeah, this.  We have one of the best managers of this generation. 

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6487 on: March 29, 2024, 12:37:06 pm »

Yes

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6488 on: March 29, 2024, 12:37:55 pm »
I wouldn't want Frank or De Zerbi personally. But in De Zerbi's case I wouldn;t be surprised if he ends up at one of Liverpool, Barcelona or Bayern this summer. He's one of the most attractive candidates out there.

In terms of Frank, I don't think he's an option but you can understand why people might suggest him when there's no outstanding candidates.

People don;t like Nagglesman. People don't like De Zerbi. People don;t like Frank or O'Neil.

Who do people realistically want? I suspect people are saying Amorim due to lack of exposure. He's not managed a mid-table PL team. He's not failed at a t big club, like Bayern. He has less baggage than those other options, mainly due to lack of exposure. Does that make him a better manager?

Really like to hear who you would suggest because I think the potential being suggested are some of the best options out there. Even if they seem underwhelming.
I get what you are saying in that we are more unfamiliar with him than managers who've coached in this country but I think that winning titles with Sporting is better preparation for Liverpool job than managing a midtable Prem club. Nothing wrong with wanting a manager who has proven he can win things.

We're not trying to appoint a Pochettino here, we're trying to appoint someone who can win and get us to the mountaintop like Klopp has done.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:39:29 pm by B0151? »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6489 on: March 29, 2024, 12:39:26 pm »
I get what you are saying in that we are more unfamiliar with him than managers who've coached in this country but I think that winning titles with Sporting is better preparation for Liverpool job than managing a midtable Prem club. Nothing wrong with wanting a manager who has proven he can win things.

We're not trying to appoint a Pochettino here, we're trying to appoint someone who can win things.

But there is a case of biding time. We have a good squad, maybe there is an expectation that as long as we can keep achieving top four, that cements the club financially and then maybe if another candidate appears that can me more a sure thing.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6490 on: March 29, 2024, 12:40:54 pm »
I may be incorrect and I apologize to Kimmich for this, but doesn't he have some alternative views on politics and society

there was that whole vaccine thing? But willingly went public to say he regretted that he didn’t get vaccinated earlier.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #6491 on: March 29, 2024, 12:42:46 pm »
I can't help wondering if the stuff that has come out is an attempt to kill the currently distracting noise around Xabi, when he is trying to do his job, effectively completing his current task, which before all this was probably easier to concentrate on. With luck it works, we should want him to thoroughly succeed this season.  I am still of the opinion that come June we will be looking at him or Amorim in the job, for me a 50/50, with in my mind, people at our club already knowing what will happen. I suppose the situation with Ancelotti can be a factor.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #6492 on: March 29, 2024, 12:43:36 pm »
What have these people actually done for the criticism thrown about?

Cheated on his wife with some news reporter bint or something like that. Then rode a skateboard to training.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6493 on: March 29, 2024, 12:43:42 pm »
I think maybe we are looking at it differently? Winning the title with Real Madrid isn't necessarily a greater achievement than staying up Rayo, if you catch my drift. When looking at players, you look at the level they're playing at, but when it comes to managers, I think it's not as clear cut.

All teams have a certain expected levels, based on the players at their disposal primarily, but also budget etc. And then you have teams punching slightly or clearly above their expected level, and vice versa. In my opinion, we should be looking at essentially any manager that has consistently had his team in the former category, especially over time.

Now these managers are quite few and far between, but without a doubt Thomas Frank is one of them. Also, the level he's at isn't Ole at Molde, he's been consistently overachieving in the same league that we're in. I'm not saying there aren't arguments against it, but to completely dismiss a consistently overachieving manager like that is folly in my opinion.

Last, I also don't like or necessarily believe in possession based football. Thomas Frank is a more direct, pressing manager, which is more to my liking. Obviously that is enteriely subjective. But his consistent overachieving over a number of years it's not. It's a fact, and a rare one at that.

Frank has done well, but the wheels have come off a bit this season. Add to that the fact that he didn't succeed at Brøndby in Denmark and his football is often shit on a stick, and I think it's a bit mad that people think he can fill Jürgen's shoes.

And I say that as someone who's dealt with him personally a few times and think he's a truly great fella. He's not an LFC manager.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #6494 on: March 29, 2024, 12:46:19 pm »
Let's be honest when it comes to Amorim, ignorance is bliss. The football hipsters in here haven't seen Sporting play 5 games of football, while the other managers they dismiss manage week in week out in the PL.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:50:39 pm by istvan kozma »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6495 on: March 29, 2024, 12:47:19 pm »
What would your expectation for the new manager be? You like the options, and think it won't take long to have success, so what do you expect any of these 3 if they join

I’d expect us to challenge for the title next year

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6496 on: March 29, 2024, 12:49:19 pm »
Cheated on his wife with some news reporter bint or something like that. Then rode a skateboard to training.

The bigger issue is apparently leaking dressing room information to his news reporting girlfriend and the players feeling like their trust was betrayed

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6497 on: March 29, 2024, 12:49:41 pm »
Let's be honest when comes to Amorim, ignorance is bliss. The football hipsters in here haven't seen Sporting play 5 games of football, while the other managers they dismiss manage week in week out in the PL.

Yep there is a lot of that with Amorim and really its a case of it being the hipsters choice. Also there definitely is a case of the less we know about a manager, the better.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6498 on: March 29, 2024, 12:51:28 pm »
Let's be honest when it comes to Amorim, ignorance is bliss. The football hipsters in here haven't seen Sporting play 5 games of football, while the other managers they dismiss manage week in week out in the PL.

What do you reckon to Vincent Kompany mate? You were big on the adversity stuff and he's def facing some this season!

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #6499 on: March 29, 2024, 12:51:55 pm »
Frank has done well, but the wheels have come off a bit this season. Add to that the fact that he didn't succeed at Brøndby in Denmark and his football is often shit on a stick, and I think it's a bit mad that people think he can fill Jürgen's shoes.

And I say that as someone who's dealt with him personally a few times and think he's a truly great fella. He's not an LFC manager.
The wheels haven't come off this season, he's had a nightmare with injuries and even then Brentford's expected points have them in the top half. XG has its obvious limitations, but when it comes to evaluating managers it's an excellent stat.

I'll concede that I know little about his achievements prior to Brentford, but in my opinion he's been there long enough to show that he can consistently overachieve over time. And again, Brentford's data driven approach is similar to ours, and his football suits our set of players better than say De Zerbi in my opinion.

I disagree that his football is shit on a stick btw, it's effective and quite similar to what we do. Our rivals love to call us long ball merchant, which is entirely incorrect. We, just like Brentford, often hit it long because we back ourselves to lock the opposition down whether they win the second ball or not.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6500 on: March 29, 2024, 12:52:56 pm »
Yep there is a lot of that with Amorim and really its a case of it being the hipsters choice. Also there definitely is a case of the less we know about a manager, the better.

That's nonsense.

There's plenty out there to read, watch or listen to if you want to familiarise yourself with a prospective manager and come to an informed opinion. Amorim isn't the "hipster's choice", just a good young manager with plenty going for him as a candidate for the job.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6501 on: March 29, 2024, 12:54:00 pm »
What do you reckon to Vincent Kompany mate? You were big on the adversity stuff and he's def facing some this season!
What on earth are you rambling about?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #6502 on: March 29, 2024, 12:54:41 pm »
Surely the hipsters choice would be anyone but Amorim, since he’s actually had major success?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6503 on: March 29, 2024, 12:56:09 pm »
That's nonsense.

There's plenty out there to read, watch or listen to if you want to familiarise yourself with a prospective manager and come to an informed opinion. Amorim isn't the "hipster's choice", just a good young manager with plenty going for him as a candidate for the job.

I have read about him but articles that like him will always put up a Disney style picture of him. What I like about him is unlike pretty much most of the candidates linked to us, he has won a league but also he is coaching a side in a football mad city like Lisbon, so he will know exactly about the passion and expectation that comes with that.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6504 on: March 29, 2024, 12:56:24 pm »
What on earth are you rambling about?

The absolute shit you spoke about "adversity" don't tell me you've forgotten already.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6505 on: March 29, 2024, 12:56:48 pm »
Remember when Jürgen was considered the biggest hipster manager going  ;D
It was the glasses.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6506 on: March 29, 2024, 12:56:50 pm »
I’d expect us to challenge for the title next year

I admire your optimism but I don't think we will. There's the things Klopp brings which is getting us draws from loses and wins from draws which allows us to keep up with a doped up bohemouth, and our next manager be it Amorim or De Zerbi is going to have to learn that.

If we don't challenge for the title would you be considering that as bad from the new manager? Let's say it that way

Offline Corbykop

• Main Stander
« Reply #6507 on: March 29, 2024, 12:57:16 pm »
I'm trying to think of it from an FSG point of view and although not a suggestion would they go for someone like Conte?

A proven manager who's won trophies although his style of play is a bit safety first but can he change has he got plan B, C........would he change to be more attractive in line with how we want to see football played? It may be a safe pair of hands for FSG?

What sort of squad did he inherit at Chelsea? Who did he buy and were they successful? He won the league there straight away and then the FA Cup so a proven winner 

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6508 on: March 29, 2024, 12:59:29 pm »
I'm trying to think of it from an FSG point of view and although not a suggestion would they go for someone like Conte?

A proven manager who's won trophies although his style of play is a bit safety first but can he change has he got plan B, C........would he change to be more attractive in line with how we want to see football played? It may be a safe pair of hands for FSG?

What sort of squad did he inherit at Chelsea? Who did he buy and were they successful? He won the league there straight away and then the FA Cup so a proven winner 

Great to see you posting on RAWK, Antonio.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6509 on: March 29, 2024, 12:59:39 pm »
The absolute shit you spoke about "adversity" don't tell me you've forgotten already.
No it wasn't "shit", the fact Kompany won more or less every game in the championship & has been useless in the PL proves my point.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6510 on: March 29, 2024, 01:02:19 pm »

He'd play shot football and complain 24/7 that he isn't in charge of transfers and doesn't have enough money. And he would make everyone fight each other.

I do 100% think he took the Spurs job in the idea of doing well there and replacing Klopp. 100%

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6511 on: March 29, 2024, 01:02:26 pm »
Also there definitely is a case of the less we know about a manager, the better.

Why?

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #6512 on: March 29, 2024, 01:03:10 pm »
But there is a case of biding time. We have a good squad, maybe there is an expectation that as long as we can keep achieving top four, that cements the club financially and then maybe if another candidate appears that can me more a sure thing.

This is why I was curious as to why the idea of Klopp taking a year off to recharge and then returning seems to have never been on the table. Announcing that the whole management team would be leaving too obviously shot that to pieces, but as with when Tommo picked the reins for a few months while Ged recovered from his heart surgery, with the squad we have and style of play ingrained I'm pretty sure the management team would have kept things ticking over in an interim manner pretty effectively.

It tells me that FSG have known who they want from the start, and how they want the structure to be post-Klopp, and have possibly even been preparing for it since before Klopp even had a thought about leaving. The men in suits have all been secured pretty quickly, and I'm fairly certain that the stats packs for the managerial shortlist were done well before Alonso surprised us all with his Leverkusen side - given that Klopp informed the club in November, I would imagine that Alonso's name was not necessarily at the top of any shortlist at that point as the season was only a few months in and he'd been at Leverkusen for only just over a year. Maybe Xabi will bloom at Leverkusen and even extend his contract beyond 2025. Who knows, he might even be the LFC manager after the next one. He definitely will be on the club's radar over the next decade though, I think that much is certain.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6513 on: March 29, 2024, 01:04:30 pm »

A couple of years ago I'd have loved him but the way he conducted himself at Spurs was unprofessional at best, an outright disgrace at worst. He's a very divisive individual and not somebody who you'd feel particularly comfortable working with if you're Edwards / Hughes.

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6514 on: March 29, 2024, 01:04:35 pm »
Xabi Alonso: “I had a good meeting with Bayer Leverkusen and I informed them that I will STAY and continue at the club”.

“After lot of talks about my future, I used the break to reflect and make my decision”.

“This is the place to be for me”

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6515 on: March 29, 2024, 01:04:57 pm »
His stint at Arsenal will count against him.

You might be right, but his time at Arsenal is a little bit misremembered. His first season (2018/19), Arsenal were actually quite good and looked almost sure to finish in the top 4 above Spurs. But they collapsed over the last five games as injuries killed them. Granted, it didn't go well in his second season, but I think it's slightly misrepresentative for people to say he replaced a legend and simply struggled.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6516 on: March 29, 2024, 01:05:04 pm »
No it wasn't "shit", the fact Kompany won more or less every game in the championship & has been useless in the PL proves my point.

;D ;D

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #6517 on: March 29, 2024, 01:07:38 pm »
Xabi Alonso: “I had a good meeting with Bayer Leverkusen and I informed them that I will STAY and continue at the club”.

“After lot of talks about my future, I used the break to reflect and make my decision”.

“This is the place to be for me”

"And ill be off next year to Madrid so there's that as well"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6518 on: March 29, 2024, 01:08:09 pm »
We should get Howard Webb in.

We'd piss the league.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6519 on: March 29, 2024, 01:08:34 pm »
Lucky escape for us, get me Rubes.