Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 520353 times)

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6440 on: March 29, 2024, 12:05:15 pm »
Funny that De Zerbi was flavour of the month akin to Alonso, a year ago. 

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #6441 on: March 29, 2024, 12:05:44 pm »
You really think thats why he was hated in Bayern?
How's that turned out for Bayern?

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #6442 on: March 29, 2024, 12:06:06 pm »
That's what I mean by glorious failure though - put up a good fight and account of himself, but ultimately failed to succeed past where was expected. Glorious failure in that he tried and fought and lost

Doing what he has done at Brighton is good but does it qualify him for the Liverpool job? I have worries about limitations he has shown which are particularly troublesome for a club like us and the issues we gave in our games and our aims
It was expected that Brighton get into Europe having never done so previously?

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #6443 on: March 29, 2024, 12:07:52 pm »
Bayern are in a league where they will walk a title in most given years, it's like Mancini or Pellegrini getting the city job, they will likely win the title no matter the season. Comparing that to the Liverpool job is not even in the same solar system.

Right, so what is it that's put De Zerbi at the top of Bayerns manager list?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6444 on: March 29, 2024, 12:08:08 pm »
How's that turned out for Bayern?

That doesnt excuse what and who he is. Riding a skateboard is one of his more endearing features.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6445 on: March 29, 2024, 12:08:44 pm »
I just looked at Brighton's line up against Roma in the first leg and not surprised they got battered. A midfield of Gross and Gilmour, Danny Welbeck up front, Dunk and Van Hecke in defence... I just don't think they're a particularly good side on paper - especially if they don't start Estupinan, Mitoma and Ferguson which was the case there.

Again, not advocating for De Zerbi but I think he's been a bit let down by the recruitment side of the house. They got a fortune for Caicedo, as well as a decent sum for Mac, but don't look to have strengthened all that well.

There's very real worries about their defence but how of that would just automatically improve should he have our squad at his disposal?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6446 on: March 29, 2024, 12:09:25 pm »
Right, so what is it that's put De Zerbi at the top of Bayerns manager list?

They go through an insane number of managers. Law of averages means that they will target a whole group of managers not deemed good enough.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6447 on: March 29, 2024, 12:10:30 pm »
I kind of get what you mean in that there were people hyping De Zerbi who now wouldn't be so keen. But don't think you can say someone who is probably about to be the first non Bayern manager to win Bundesliga since Klopp is just flavour of month. What De Zerbi has done at Brighton is very good, what Alonso is doing at Leverkusen is legendary

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6448 on: March 29, 2024, 12:10:53 pm »
That doesnt excuse what and who he is. Riding a skateboard is one of his more endearing features.
You don't have a clue 'what or who he is', stop with the nonsense.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6449 on: March 29, 2024, 12:12:07 pm »
Personally I’m very calm about our manager situation.

I know everyone is a step down from Klopp, but the next manager is inheriting a very good squad, with a good balance of experience and youth (just need to sort a few contracts in the summer, which hopefully we do).

I don’t think we’re going to all of a sudden turn shit. We’re basically back in the CL, should have some money to make some signings so I’m excited to see where we go under a new manager with new ideas.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6450 on: March 29, 2024, 12:12:57 pm »
Not my first choice but the De Zerbi disrespect is real.
And justified. Not only incapable of the job, but just not a Liverpool manager. You can tell what type of characters would succeed here and what types wouldn’t. He falls into the latter.

Can’t warm to the guy at all.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6451 on: March 29, 2024, 12:13:56 pm »
It was expected that Brighton get into Europe having never done so previously?

It wasn't expected they get in. It was probably expected that they get through the group stage given the team they had and probably expected they lose to Roma.

Lol some perspective here, what is De Zerbi's net spend at Brighton?

Is playing good football enough?  On a hugely negative spend he is about to give Brighton their 2 highest finishes in their entire history - 6th place, and now 8th admits an injury crisis to his best players, as well as selling his 2 best players in the summer.

You make it sound like winning 50% of your games whilst playing great football under those conditions is a bad thing.  Genuine question,  if Klopp or Guadiola took over Brightons squad this season and had estupinian, match, mitoma, encido out injured for the majority of the season, where do you think Brighton would have finished this year?

I would expect Klopp and Guardiola to do better as they are truly elite managers.

Taking it by another thing then: as a young manager, inexperienced at a top team and the expectations that come with that, of every game oppositions playing as hard as possible as this is the biggest game of their season, and having to be flexible as a manager. He hasn't experienced that yet.

With that in mind that he lacks the experience, how good do you expect him to do next year, or the year after? I would probably say top 4 would be an achievement for the initial years with him.

It is easy to play good football with lower expectations. If De Zerbi came here he would have to prove himself and grow a lot more as a manager. I think all of them would, but I do have concerns over some of the results his Brighton side get, mainly because it doesn't seem like he adapts to his opponent much and his defensive work seems not brilliant

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6452 on: March 29, 2024, 12:14:09 pm »
You really think thats why he was hated in Bayern?

I don't know how many times we have to repeat this to the Nagalsmann fanboys; skateboarding into work is only the tip of the iceberg.

The guy cheated on his wife with a Bayern journalist, talked shit about players behind their back and was the reason for a dressing room revolt against him.

Skateboard or not, the man is a massive C-U-Next-Tuesday.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6453 on: March 29, 2024, 12:14:19 pm »
Is it that strange? De Zerbi has delivered Brighton's two best seasons (I think), got them into Europe and through the group stages of the Europa. Think they're probably underperforming this season but still eighth, having lost three very good players for them in Colwill, Caicedo and Mac Allister. He also has a decent track record at other clubs.

Not advocating for him but equally not hard to see why the club would look to him ahead of O'Neil, who is still very new to his managerial career.

Also, perhaps more importantly, Richard Hughes literally sacked him less than a year ago.

I don't necessarily want De Zerbi but there's nuance to the drop off from Brighton this season. Loss of key players and European football being the main ones. They are still 8th and in with a shout of European qualification for next season. That's pretty remarkable for Brighton.

I think people aren't remembering or giving him credit for his achievements at Sassuolo. 2 8th place finished and I think their highest ever Serie A points total under his managerial tenure. His record at Shaktar was also OK until he left.

My biggest concern with De Zerbi is the defensive side of things. His teams, across his career, have scored loads but also shipped loads. Is that because he's implementing a style with lesser players? Or his is style of play fundamentally flawed from a defensive perspective?
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6454 on: March 29, 2024, 12:14:21 pm »

Most still really like his flavour. I mean i fully expect him to be managing Liverpool. Bayern, Barcelona or another top team that comes available next season. Everyone inside football knows he's doing a great job with that budget or losing the players he has. And he plays great football. Which matters! Antionio Conte has a cabinet full of trophies but nobody wants to see his shitty football.

De Zerbi was really unlucky that the war in Ukraine forced he to leave Shaktar because he would have won a lot, made big strides in European competition and maybe have an even bigger rep than he has now turning water into wine on the south coast.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6455 on: March 29, 2024, 12:14:57 pm »

it’s pretty public why he was sacked at Bayern.  It isn’t a great look very publicly dumping your missus for a Bayern journo, causing a lot of mistrust within the club and with his own players.

Hopefully he’ll mature a bit,  as I’m one of the few who does rate him as a coach it seems!

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #6456 on: March 29, 2024, 12:15:44 pm »
Now Thomas fucking Frank??

Are people on a wind up in here or what? FML.

It's genuinely the sort of shit we would say in a man united forum on potential managers.

I don’t think most are…but that one is for sure

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6457 on: March 29, 2024, 12:17:20 pm »

Its clear public knowledge of exactly who the guy is.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6458 on: March 29, 2024, 12:17:29 pm »
This reeks of arrogance. Jurgen Klopp, having won nothing, came to Dortmund from Mainz (who were relegated under him) to take them to two titles and a Champions League final.

There's no obvious necessary level a manager has to be at to be in the running in my opinion, it's not necessarily a tougher job at Sporting than it is at Brentford. What we should be looking at is any manager who's consistently been overachieving over a number of years, in my opinion. That brings us to Frank almost immediately.

Honestly mate I think you are off your head if you think Frank is a possible next Klopp, and also equality wrong to diminish Amorim achieving what he has and comparing it to Brentford.

I know people are gutted about Alonso but Frank and De Zerbi is just absurd for me. Genuinely can't believe their names are being mentioned. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:19:01 pm by Andy82lfc »

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6459 on: March 29, 2024, 12:19:21 pm »
On Nagelsmann - I can believe he was unpopular at Bayern and the players didn't like him... but if so, what the hell were the DFB thinking making him Germany boss when there's presumably going to be several Bayern players in the Euro 2024 squad?!

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6460 on: March 29, 2024, 12:20:36 pm »
Honestly mate I think you are off your head if you think Frank is a possible next Klopp, and also equality wrong to diminish Amorim achieving what he has and comparing it to Brentford.

I know people are gutted about Alonso but Frank and De Zerbi is just absurd for me. Genuinely can't believe there names are being mentioned. 

I think the question about all this is what is the expectation on the new manager. In a way maybe if we were shit, it would be easier for the new guy as fans would give him time. Its a nice problem that he has a good squad but that will mean that we will expecting a manager, most of whom dont have any record of winning stuff, to start winning stuff straight away.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6461 on: March 29, 2024, 12:21:30 pm »
Its clear public knowledge of exactly who the guy is.
So why is he the German national team manager?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6462 on: March 29, 2024, 12:22:26 pm »
On Nagelsmann - I can believe he was unpopular at Bayern and the players didn't like him... but if so, what the hell were the DFB thinking making him Germany boss when there's presumably going to be several Bayern players in the Euro 2024 squad?!

it’s working out well for the DFB so far though!
Maybe not such a huge deal at national level, he’ll see them only 3 times a year, and for a (up to a) month long tournament.

Last squad only had 3 Bayern players in by the way!  More Stuttgart than Bayern players in there.

(And one of the players is Kimmich - who was basically always on his side)

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6463 on: March 29, 2024, 12:24:05 pm »
So why is he the German national team manager?

There is only a few Bayern players. Maybe those that are there dont mind the c*nt?

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #6464 on: March 29, 2024, 12:24:24 pm »
Ok let's look at this from another angle, name me a manager in world football who'd manage  Brighton for 2 seasons, lost white, burn, bissouma, trossard, caicedo, mac Allister, Colwill, then lose estupinian, march , mitoma, enciso for the majority of the season and still finish 6th and 8th (the 2 highest finishes in brightons history) whilst playing open, attacking, expansive football, all whilst having a massively negative transfer budget?

I dont mind people not wanting De Zerbi but some of the out of context, disrespectful bollocks talked to try and discredit in here is laughable.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:29:21 pm by William Regal »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6465 on: March 29, 2024, 12:25:09 pm »
There is only a few Bayern players. Maybe those that are there dont mind the c*nt?

Kimmich was always strongly in support of Nagelsmann.

People do need to remember that the soap opera of FC Hollywood isn’t always the best way to judge a coach either.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6466 on: March 29, 2024, 12:25:36 pm »
Amorim gives me similar vibes to when we signed Salah. Not sure why, as I know it’s a bit weird comparing a player signing with a potential new manager.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6467 on: March 29, 2024, 12:26:14 pm »
Amorim gives me similar vibes to when we signed Salah. Not sure why, as I know it’s a bit weird comparing a player signing with a potential new manager.

Its the beard.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6468 on: March 29, 2024, 12:26:48 pm »
Kimmich was always strongly in support of Nagelsmann.

People do need to remember that the soap opera of FC Hollywood isn’t always the best way to judge a coach either.

Grade A c*nt liking a fellow Grade A c*nt shocker.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6469 on: March 29, 2024, 12:27:30 pm »

I know people are gutted about Alonso but Frank and De Zerbi is just absurd for me. Genuinely can't believe their names are being mentioned.

The Liverpool manager is different to other posts in that he has to be somebody who the crowd takes to, feel he is one of us. Shankly created that bond and Jurgen has, if anything, enhanced it. That is why Rodgers and particularly Hodgson seemed to many as ill fits. I guess FSG understand that now and will factor that into their thinking. Of those mentioned as possibles Amorim seems to have a character that might fit but I guess success is the determing factor no matter who gets the job.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #6470 on: March 29, 2024, 12:28:04 pm »

I think maybe we are looking at it differently? Winning the title with Real Madrid isn't necessarily a greater achievement than staying up Rayo, if you catch my drift. When looking at players, you look at the level they're playing at, but when it comes to managers, I think it's not as clear cut.

All teams have a certain expected levels, based on the players at their disposal primarily, but also budget etc. And then you have teams punching slightly or clearly above their expected level, and vice versa. In my opinion, we should be looking at essentially any manager that has consistently had his team in the former category, especially over time.

Now these managers are quite few and far between, but without a doubt Thomas Frank is one of them. Also, the level he's at isn't Ole at Molde, he's been consistently overachieving in the same league that we're in. I'm not saying there aren't arguments against it, but to completely dismiss a consistently overachieving manager like that is folly in my opinion.

Last, I also don't like or necessarily believe in possession based football. Thomas Frank is a more direct, pressing manager, which is more to my liking. Obviously that is enteriely subjective. But his consistent overachieving over a number of years it's not. It's a fact, and a rare one at that.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #6471 on: March 29, 2024, 12:29:22 pm »
Strong beard game, check. Intense, pressing footy, check. Overturned the big guns and won a first title in donkeys years, check. Charismatic guy who the players and fans will warm to, check. He won't be Klopp 2.0, no one ever will be, but Amorim passes all the tests for me. If he has a brain in his head he will know Chelsea is just batshit crazy, and Barca is almost as bad in the post-Messi era. His Sporting team are pretty good, but my hair stands on end thinking what he could do with our squad.

Alonso was a romantic idea, but Amorim has more experience even though he is younger and going in for him makes sense. Mind you, this wouldn't be the first time clubs have fed bullshit to the media, and we all know that LFC have a track record of surprising us as well as using the media to their advantage. Expect more twists in this one for sure.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6472 on: March 29, 2024, 12:29:23 pm »
I think the question about all this is what is the expectation on the new manager. In a way maybe if we were shit, it would be easier for the new guy as fans would give him time. Its a nice problem that he has a good squad but that will mean that we will expecting a manager, most of whom dont have any record of winning stuff, to start winning stuff straight away.

I mean, absolutely anybody in world football will be a downgrade on Klopp, but at least if he is replaced by someone who at the very minimum knows what it takes to win against the odds, to work with much lesser means and still collect trophies, then that would put them on good standing. If someone is brought in with zero record of any of that then with the expectations the pressure to do something they have absolutely no knowledge of ever doing will be massive.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6473 on: March 29, 2024, 12:29:43 pm »
The Liverpool manager is different to other posts in that he has to be somebody who the crowd takes to, feel he is one of us. Shankly created that bond and Jurgen has, if anything, enhanced it. That is why Rodgers and particularly Hodgson seemed to many as ill fits. I guess FSG understand that now and will factor that into their thinking. Of those mentioned as possibles Amorim seems to have a character that might fit but I guess success is the determing factor no matter who gets the job.

There is a possibility all that isnt factored in. There is a possibility that now the nerds have taken over, that they think they can operate with that system of having a plug in coach whilst the nerds churn away and run the place. Edwards must have been promised quite a bit of power in that sense and its interesting how such a position was never offered before.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6474 on: March 29, 2024, 12:29:44 pm »
Grade A c*nt liking a fellow Grade A c*nt shocker.

What have these people actually done for the criticism thrown about?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #6475 on: March 29, 2024, 12:31:18 pm »
What have these people actually done for the criticism thrown about?

I think Kimmich might have gone to work on roller blades?

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6476 on: March 29, 2024, 12:31:26 pm »
I trust in the club and think we're in good position for a good coach to do well. But Amorim does seem to tick the most boxes. Great young hungry coach who has overachieved and won things, and shown he can rebound after bad season.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6477 on: March 29, 2024, 12:31:28 pm »
Genuinely can't believe their names are being mentioned. 

I wouldn't want Frank or De Zerbi personally. But in De Zerbi's case I wouldn;t be surprised if he ends up at one of Liverpool, Barcelona or Bayern this summer. He's one of the most attractive candidates out there.

In terms of Frank, I don't think he's an option but you can understand why people might suggest him when there's no outstanding candidates.

People don;t like Nagglesman. People don't like De Zerbi. People don;t like Frank or O'Neil.

Who do people realistically want? I suspect people are saying Amorim due to lack of exposure. He's not managed a mid-table PL team. He's not failed at a t big club, like Bayern. He has less baggage than those other options, mainly due to lack of exposure. Does that make him a better manager?

Really like to hear who you would suggest because I think the potential being suggested are some of the best options out there. Even if they seem underwhelming.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6478 on: March 29, 2024, 12:32:12 pm »
I think Kimmich might have gone to work on roller blades?

;D

Kimmich has just got a punchable face! He’s a classic ‘love him if he was on your team’ type players. Arrogant, gobby, irritating, snide etc etc etc.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6479 on: March 29, 2024, 12:32:57 pm »
I think maybe we are looking at it differently? Winning the title with Real Madrid isn't necessarily a greater achievement than staying up Rayo, if you catch my drift. When looking at players, you look at the level they're playing at, but when it comes to managers, I think it's not as clear cut.

All teams have a certain expected levels, based on the players at their disposal primarily, but also budget etc. And then you have teams punching slightly or clearly above their expected level, and vice versa. In my opinion, we should be looking at essentially any manager that has consistently had his team in the former category, especially over time.

Now these managers are quite few and far between, but without a doubt Thomas Frank is one of them. Also, the level he's at isn't Ole at Molde, he's been consistently overachieving in the same league that we're in. I'm not saying there aren't arguments against it, but to completely dismiss a consistently overachieving manager like that is folly in my opinion.

Last, I also don't like or necessarily believe in possession based football. Thomas Frank is a more direct, pressing manager, which is more to my liking. Obviously that is enteriely subjective. But his consistent overachieving over a number of years it's not. It's a fact, and a rare one at that.

Honestly mate, I get most of what you are saying and understand they are good managers, I just think the gamble would be insane, just like Potter going to Chelsea it would be a massive punt and following Klopp even more insane. Unlike Amorim they have never proven they can take a team with less means and win anything, they've done well, but have no experience of doing anything like that.