Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 521956 times)

Offline 5-times-Phill

• Main Stander
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6320 on: March 29, 2024, 10:07:16 am »
Loads of good points above. My memories of the Roger’s era was that he was never loved. How many times were fellow reds arguing about whether or not he contributed to 13/14 or whether it was all Suarez. I remember that narrative happening all the time. That 4 months in 2014 was the only time he really benefitted from the full support of the fan base. I think if Xabi had got the job, he’d have had that from day one and you can almost feel the excitement that would have come along with the first game at Anfield. No one else will be able to generate that same level of excitement, which is the shame of it all for me. Of course the way to change that for anyone else is by winning and hopefully the new fella will do plenty of that.

Just think it’s easy to forget what a gang of arseholes we can be. Even Rafa never had everyone on side.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6321 on: March 29, 2024, 10:08:08 am »
I'm not sure that's true. There were obviously rumblings about Rafa but I wouldn't say it turned sour amongst fans that knew what they were talking about. People recognised the problems off the pitch and supported him all the way, the away end chanted his name away at City early in Hodgsons reign.

I think Rafa's standing is indicative of the opposite argument to be honest. Because he was such a great man and so loved he gets a bit of a pass where others absolutely wouldn't. Obviously, his past successes also helped! But by 2010 we hadnt won a major trophy since 2006, we'd gone backwards and nobody wanted him gone. Even now, he can manage in China, represent two of our absolute biggest rivals and still be pretty universally loved. I think our club and fanbase more than any gets behind personalities and that often buys more time. If you don't seem to represent the values we like to see then you'd better win things quickly or your time will be up.

There was a huge split over Rafa towards the end though. He was loved but a lot of fans hated him. I don't think Carragher and Gerrard helped and the media had been on his case so much that some fans buy into that as well.

He'd get booed at times when makes subs for example. I don't remember that kind of dissent with Rodgers. Obviosuly was with Hodgson.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6322 on: March 29, 2024, 10:09:02 am »
The Alonso thing could just as easily be a "fuck off I'm winning my league" public message. Let's wait and see what he says next presser.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #6323 on: March 29, 2024, 10:12:28 am »
The Alonso thing could just as easily be a "fuck off I'm winning my league" public message. Let's wait and see what he says next presser.

I think it's too much smoke without fire, especially from two of the best journos. Also, I'm not so sure Alonso was Edwards and Hughes's first choice given the differing playing styles which has to be a consideration.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6324 on: March 29, 2024, 10:12:34 am »

There is a chance that the briefing has gone out to end the speculation and allow him to focus on Leverkusen for the home stretch of the season.

Always seemed likely with Alonso that he'll either go to Bayern/Liverpool this summer or another season at Leverkusen (in the CL) and then go to Madrid next year. Looks like it'll be the latter.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6325 on: March 29, 2024, 10:13:19 am »

Yeah until we hear him say it himself, then no-one really knows whats going on
Jurgen YNWA

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6326 on: March 29, 2024, 10:13:35 am »
There was a huge split over Rafa towards the end though. He was loved but a lot of fans hated him. I don't think Carragher and Gerrard helped and the media had been on his case so much that some fans buy into that as well.

He'd get booed at times when makes subs for example. I don't remember that kind of dissent with Rodgers. Obviosuly was with Hodgson.
perhaps wishful thinking on my behalf but I always felt that Rafa had Anfield's backing. The people calling for him to go tended to be troublemakers in the media or more casual supporters who loved a phone in or a text to sky sports news!

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6327 on: March 29, 2024, 10:13:38 am »
We could do far worse than Emery IMO. He's not being spoken about loads but his track record is very good, he's built up experience in this league, his European pedigree is superb. Classy guy as well who I think people would get behind.

What we do have to remember is the squad is being left in pretty spectacular shape. The people behind the scenes have a proven track record. This isn't a Ferguson leaving united scenario. You can't replace Klopp, but any tips manager has a great chance to add titles to their CVs with this squad and set up, unlike the basket case scenario a trail of managers found themselves in at Old Trafford.

I've thought about him as an option for a while. If Alonso is off the table, then I agree we could do worse. Has done well at Villa, brilliant record in European competitions and knows the league well by now. Think he's a good guy too.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6328 on: March 29, 2024, 10:13:42 am »
I think it's too much smoke without fire, especially from two of the best journos. Also, I'm not so sure Alonso was Edwards and Hughes's first choice given the differing playing styles which has to be a consideration.

True, we might also not want to wait till the end of the season and potentially lose whoever our other choice(s) are.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #6329 on: March 29, 2024, 10:17:16 am »
Amorim's philosophy always seemed on paper more congruent with Klopp's than Alonso's so I'd be happy if he ends up taking it. I've always thought since Edwards came back that there would be  a strong likelihood that next manager is not the one the UK media have as the most obvious

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6330 on: March 29, 2024, 10:18:06 am »
Amorim or De Zerbi doesn't really inspire. Both gigantic steps down from Klopp.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #6331 on: March 29, 2024, 10:18:42 am »

Also, I'm not so sure Alonso was Edwards and Hughes's first choice given the differing playing styles which has to be a consideration.

People keep downplaying this aspect.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6332 on: March 29, 2024, 10:19:58 am »
Amorim or De Zerbi doesn't really inspire. Both gigantic steps down from Klopp.

Everyone is a step down from Klopp except Guardiola and I don't see him joining.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6333 on: March 29, 2024, 10:20:29 am »
People keep downplaying this aspect.

Because it's nothing but conjecture based on the fact Amorim plays similar football to Klopp. Absolutely nothing has come out to say he wasn't Edwards or Hughes first choice, in fact most stuff coming out said he was first choice

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6334 on: March 29, 2024, 10:21:29 am »
I've thought about him as an option for a while. If Alonso is off the table, then I agree we could do worse. Has done well at Villa, brilliant record in European competitions and knows the league well by now. Think he's a good guy too.

His stint at Arsenal will count against him.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6335 on: March 29, 2024, 10:21:37 am »
Everyone is a step down from Klopp except Guardiola and I don't see him joining.

It's how big a step down. De Zerbi is humongous as a step down, we don't know how far Amorim is

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6336 on: March 29, 2024, 10:22:45 am »

He is safer than most of the others.

I think we consistently get 3rd with Emrey, and we might win a cup. I can't say the same for the others, and with Amorim I don't know what we could or couldn't achieve

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6337 on: March 29, 2024, 10:25:16 am »
Little bit of a gamble for Xabi.  If things don't go well next year he may not get that move to a big club.  Most managers take that opportunity to move when it comes along as you never know if you'll get another chance. 

On the other hand, if he does end up here at some point, it's probably better not to be the person that immediately follows Klopp.  Let someone else take on what is going to be a very difficult job replacing an incredibly popular and successful manager. 

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6338 on: March 29, 2024, 10:25:50 am »
He is safer than most of the others.

I think we consistently get 3rd with Emrey, and we might win a cup. I can't say the same for the others, and with Amorim I don't know what we could or couldn't achieve

Yes he is a safer bet but getting sacked fairly early at the biggest club he joined doesnt scream excitement. Id have him here though as a safe pair of hands until the next guy.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6339 on: March 29, 2024, 10:26:18 am »

Especially coming in after a legend at Arsenal which is the exact same scenario now.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6340 on: March 29, 2024, 10:27:37 am »
Yes he is a safer bet but getting sacked fairly early at the biggest club he joined doesnt scream excitement. Id have him here though as a safe pair of hands until the next guy.

I'd have him over all linked but Amorim. Amorim is exciting in a "This could be the best thing ever or a complete unmitigated disaster" kind of way, everyone else I think would be not brilliant

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6341 on: March 29, 2024, 10:27:38 am »
Little bit of a gamble for Xabi.  If things don't go well next year he may not get that move to a big club.  Most managers take that opportunity to move when it comes along as you never know if you'll get another chance. 

On the other hand, if he does end up here at some point, it's probably better not to be the person that immediately follows Klopp.  Let someone else take on what is going to be a very difficult job replacing an incredibly popular and successful manager. 

Staying at Bayer isn't a gamble at all. He cuts his teeth in the CL and a season later he almost certainly gets offered the Madrid job.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6342 on: March 29, 2024, 10:28:59 am »
I'd have him over all linked but Amorim. Amorim is exciting in a "This could be the best thing ever or a complete unmitigated disaster" kind of way, everyone else I think would be not brilliant

Or it could be ok.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6343 on: March 29, 2024, 10:29:08 am »
Think Amorim would be an exciting appointment, he's the standout of the names linked besides Alonso IMO so I hope he gets the job.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6344 on: March 29, 2024, 10:30:05 am »
Appointing a new manager has been difficult for every big club in the last 6-8 years.

Look at the Top 6 managerial appointments since Klopp joined:

City - n/a

United - Van Gaal, Mourinho, Solskjær, Ten Haag

Spurs - Mourinho, Nuno, Conte, Postegcoglu

Chelsea - Sarri, Lampard, Tuchel, Potter, Pochetinno

Arsenal - Emery, Arteta

It’s a combo of yesterday’s man, hopeful punts on the next big thing and managers who are clearly not top tier.

The stability we’ve had at the manager position over recent years has probably blinded some people to the fact that there are currently very few elite managers about. None have emerged in last 5-10 years. Poch, Tuchel, Enrique and Nagglseman are probably the better ones but clearly a level or 2 below Klopp, Pep and Ancelotti.

Anyone we take will be a punt. But that’s what every other big club has been doing for last 8 years.

I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6345 on: March 29, 2024, 10:31:28 am »
Also, our second choice nearly always works out.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6346 on: March 29, 2024, 10:31:42 am »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6347 on: March 29, 2024, 10:32:33 am »
Yeah until we hear him say it himself, then no-one really knows whats going on

Denial phase 2.0! It's not happening and it's not the end of the world. There is NO outstanding candidate in the vein of Klopp or Ancelotti this time around.

Also, I'm not so sure Alonso was Edwards and Hughes's first choice given the differing playing styles which has to be a consideration.

Agree with this. And it's also the reason you can probably rule out De Zerbi. He is the sort of sea change appointment you make when you need to build from scratch. Would make more sense for Utd at this point in time.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6348 on: March 29, 2024, 10:33:17 am »
Staying at Bayer isn't a gamble at all. He cuts his teeth in the CL and a season later he almost certainly gets offered the Madrid job.

It’s only a gamble if he wants to be Liverpool manager.

Staying at Leverkusen almost certainly rules him out of the Liverpool job as his next job.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6349 on: March 29, 2024, 10:33:43 am »
When's the last time the online fanbase lost their heads as badly as the last 15 pages of this thread? Bellingham was a drop in the ocean compared to this.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6350 on: March 29, 2024, 10:34:01 am »
Or it could be ok.

Yeah sorry I meant it as in the spectrum between them two points.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #6351 on: March 29, 2024, 10:41:27 am »
I wanted Gary O'Neil anyway.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6352 on: March 29, 2024, 10:42:52 am »
I’d be excited by Naggelsman, De Zerbi or Amorim - they’re all progressive young coaches that produce attacking football… happy with whichever the club picks to be honest

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6353 on: March 29, 2024, 10:43:32 am »
When's the last time the online fanbase lost their heads as badly as the last 15 pages of this thread? Bellingham was a drop in the ocean compared to this.

I think the reaction to Bellingham was worse, and probably rightly so, given that was a screw up on our end.

Alonso seemingly wanting to stay at Leverkusen isn't that but if he was our first choice it's a bit of a blow. Though no doubt we'll have alternatives, and we'll have moved onto them a long time before this news broke. Still don't think we'll know anything definitive before the end of the end of the season - so there's at least a couple of months of this!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6354 on: March 29, 2024, 10:45:21 am »
Xabi is about to announce he’s staying at  BL at a press conference.

Bayern will sign half his players this summer of course..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6355 on: March 29, 2024, 10:45:51 am »
I wanted Gary O'Neil anyway.

Or, here's a thought, Gareth Southgate.

Seriously, not advocating him for the job or anything but O'Neil has done really well at Wolves this season.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6356 on: March 29, 2024, 10:46:30 am »
I think passing the opposition to death is boring. From a fitness point of view, Arsenal and City (possession-based) seem to have far fewer injuries than we do.

Maybe not pass them to death but I would love to see more precision in our attack. I can't fault the system that has worked so well for us but how often have I grimaced at poor attacking decision making in the past few years...I'd rather have something a bit more assured. Has it worked though? Absolutely....I just don't trust anyone who isn't Klopp to get the same out of a team playing the same way.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6357 on: March 29, 2024, 10:47:09 am »
Or, here's a thought, Gareth Southgate.

Seriously, not advocating him for the job or anything but O'Neil has done really well at Wolves this season.

Find it odd O’Neill is disregarded but people like De Zerbi are not. Must be because he isnt foreignese.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6358 on: March 29, 2024, 10:47:19 am »
well, that fucking sucks. Amorim it is then? I dont want De Zerbi ffs.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6359 on: March 29, 2024, 10:47:50 am »
Loads of good points above. My memories of the Roger’s era was that he was never loved. How many times were fellow reds arguing about whether or not he contributed to 13/14 or whether it was all Suarez. I remember that narrative happening all the time. That 4 months in 2014 was the only time he really benefitted from the full support of the fan base. I think if Xabi had got the job, he’d have had that from day one and you can almost feel the excitement that would have come along with the first game at Anfield. No one else will be able to generate that same level of excitement, which is the shame of it all for me. Of course the way to change that for anyone else is by winning and hopefully the new fella will do plenty of that.

Just think it’s easy to forget what a gang of arseholes we can be. Even Rafa never had everyone on side.

Roger's got plenty of adoration in the ground after the final home game in the 13/14 season. Little did we know how quickly would the wheels fall off.