Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 505980 times)

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6040 on: March 28, 2024, 10:56:36 pm »
Welcome Reuben Amorim.

Xabi Alonso is a tax dodger anyway.

Maybe Amorim was always Edward’s first choice
YWNA

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6041 on: March 28, 2024, 10:57:38 pm »
Can’t we just keep Klopp.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6042 on: March 28, 2024, 10:59:31 pm »
What box does Amorim tick? Are you an avid Portuguese League watcher?

He plays an intense, high pressing style, he won Sporting’s first title since 2002 back in 2021 and is currently on course to do it again against two bigger clubs in Porto and Benfica.

No one is suggesting he is an elite manager (yet) but other than Alonso, who currently stands out? Amorim would be a gamble but there isn’t a great deal of choice out there.

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6043 on: March 28, 2024, 10:59:33 pm »
What box does Amorim tick? Are you an avid Portuguese League watcher?
Do you think all the people pining for Alonso are avid Bundesliga watchers? Lol.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6044 on: March 28, 2024, 10:59:43 pm »
There's numeorus articles and matches for you to watch of Sporting Lisbon if you could be bothered to watch and read.

Only Sporting game i watched was against Arsenal and they were good. Confident on the ball and got a lot of shots off. They were unlucky to lose the second leg to Atalanta.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6045 on: March 28, 2024, 11:01:48 pm »
I think one thing to factor in is that whilst we have some excellent footballers, our best ones are actually quite old now and our youngest of that cohort having some contract questions. Any new manager may have to move this side forward with the likes of Salah, Van Dijk, Robertson etc starting to be past their top level form.

Its a big challenge.

We have a lot of the squad in place though and have huge revenues. We are in a position in which we can go really big on the players we do need.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6046 on: March 28, 2024, 11:01:52 pm »
He plays an intense, high pressing style, he won Sporting’s first title since 2002 back in 2021 and is currently on course to do it again against two bigger clubs in Porto and Benfica.

No one is suggesting he is an elite manager (yet) but other than Alonso, who currently stands out? Amorim would be a gamble but there isn’t a great deal of choice out there.

Totally get that and also have to factor in that being at a club in Lisbon, he is clearly a guy that knows about pressure so that is a bonus. My challenge is against the notion that it has to be him, as that would imply that he is as close to a sure thing.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6047 on: March 28, 2024, 11:03:45 pm »
Maybe Amorim was always Edward’s first choice

I got that feeling too when Edwards was confirmed to be back.

Offline Evil Red

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6048 on: March 28, 2024, 11:03:53 pm »
You're batshit crazy

LOL I'm only messing, mate! Honestly, I haven't given up on Xabi yet. He will see sense when he has a chat with Edwards at the end of the season.

Offline The WASP

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6049 on: March 28, 2024, 11:05:03 pm »
Great really great  :butt

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6050 on: March 28, 2024, 11:05:06 pm »
We have a lot of the squad in place though and have huge revenues. We are in a position in which we can go really big on the players we do need.

Possibly, but thats still a case of the unknown. If Salah and Van Dijk were in their mid to late 20’s then you can still say the core of our best players are in place for a while. The next manager however not only follows Klopp and all what that brings, but has to look to possibly replace our best players.

Plus its not easy to replace great players no matter revenues and ability to spend.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6051 on: March 28, 2024, 11:06:09 pm »
Michael Edwards first choice was going to be Amorim anyway I think.  :D
genuinley I’ve always thought exactly this
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6052 on: March 28, 2024, 11:06:21 pm »
Amorim is my first choice now.

Naglesmann is my second.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6053 on: March 28, 2024, 11:08:19 pm »
I got that feeling too when Edwards was confirmed to be back.

I always thought it made sense for Edwards not to appoint a Liverpool legend. Edwards lost control when Klopp became a bonafide Liverpool legend and was granted more power. Alonso would be starting as a legend.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6054 on: March 28, 2024, 11:09:42 pm »
I always thought it made sense for Edwards not to appoint a Liverpool legend. Edwards lost control when Klopp became a bonafide Liverpool legend and was granted more power. Alonso would be starting as a legend.
I’m still smarting a bit from Souness, so I’ve always worried about Alonso on those grounds (30 years and it still stings)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #6055 on: March 28, 2024, 11:11:13 pm »
I think one thing to factor in is that whilst we have some excellent footballers, our best ones are actually quite old now and our youngest of that cohort having some contract questions. Any new manager may have to move this side forward with the likes of Salah, Van Dijk, Robertson etc starting to be past their top level form.

Its a big challenge.
True. But Virgil doesn’t look like he’ll fall off a Cliff next season, Salah will probably gradually begin to have less impact. You’d like to think we’re still a fairly big draw and should be able to bring in a couple of top players in the summer if we get the manager right. But as long as we don’t lose any of those big players despite their ages I still think the squad around them are largely young or in their prime and ready to keep challenging
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #6056 on: March 28, 2024, 11:11:44 pm »

Naglesmann is my second.
I’d take you ahead of Nagalsmann
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6057 on: March 28, 2024, 11:11:58 pm »
Amorim plays with two CMs. That's a problem with the current squad. Endo, MacAllister, Bajcetic, Gravenberch, Jones, Szoboszlai all battling for two spaces. Not to mention the impact on Elliott, Clarke, Morton and McConnell. That's loads of midfielders in a 2 man midfield formation. Elliott would have to try for Sarah's spot. Trent would be less likely to move to midfield and would have to buy in to right wing back.

Lots to unpick there and most of these players are considered as long term assets aside from Endo.

This midfield situation makes me think they'd be looking for a 433 manager rather than one who plays just the 2 in midfield.
@paulair

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6058 on: March 28, 2024, 11:12:05 pm »
Don't believe this about Alonso, we'll see.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6059 on: March 28, 2024, 11:12:26 pm »
Atleast the tax dodger will get Madrid out the way now and in a few years time he will be angling for us.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6060 on: March 28, 2024, 11:12:44 pm »
Disappointing news about Alonso. Should make him an offer he can’t refuse.

What does that even mean?

20M a season wages?

Relocate the club to Madrid and play in white?

He doesn’t want to be Liverpool manager. In the same way he didn’t want to be a Liverpool player any more in 2009. I’m fine with Alonso making those choices. Likelihood is that he had chance to be Liverpool manager next season and said no thanks. Again that’s fine and his choice. But hopefully this puts an end to the notion is some massive fan of the club and a dream destination for him.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6061 on: March 28, 2024, 11:13:35 pm »
Totally get that and also have to factor in that being at a club in Lisbon, he is clearly a guy that knows about pressure so that is a bonus. My challenge is against the notion that it has to be him, as that would imply that he is as close to a sure thing.

Who would you like us to appoint as all I've seen you do recently is moan about other posters wanting Alonso or Amorim?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6062 on: March 28, 2024, 11:14:01 pm »
Amorim plays with two CMs. That's a problem with the current squad. Endo, MacAllister, Bajcetic, Gravenberch, Jones, Szoboszlai all battling for two spaces. Not to mention the impact on Elliott, Clarke, Morton and McConnell. That's loads of midfielders in a 2 man midfield formation. Elliott would have to try for Sarah's spot. Trent would be less likely to move to midfield and would have to buy in to right wing back.

Lots to unpick there and most of these players are considered as long term assets aside from Endo.

This midfield situation makes me think they'd be looking for a 433 manager rather than one who plays just the 2 in midfield.

Managers are flexible Klopp palyed a 4-2-3-1 at Dortmund. He barely palyed that with us beyond a handful of games.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6063 on: March 28, 2024, 11:14:29 pm »

Naglesmann is my second.
Bleak.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6064 on: March 28, 2024, 11:14:44 pm »

Klopp played 4-2-3-1 before coming to Liverpool.

Principles stay the same and fundamental. Tactically managers will adapt to the league and available players.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6065 on: March 28, 2024, 11:15:05 pm »
True. But Virgil doesn’t look like he’ll fall off a Cliff next season, Salah will probably gradually begin to have less impact. You’d like to think we’re still a fairly big draw and should be able to bring in a couple of top players in the summer if we get the manager right. But as long as we don’t lose any of those big players despite their ages I still think the squad around them are largely young or in their prime and ready to keep challenging

Possibly. I dont know how next season goes however because you can convince yourself that any scenario that happens in the next 6 weeks leads to a drop off next season (hangover after winning the league, disappointment at missing out).

I do think however that after next season its a big one in terms of changing the side and I personally believe it could be 2-3 years of looking to finish in CL positions as we build again, but that could even mean the manager after the next reaping the benefits.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6066 on: March 28, 2024, 11:15:36 pm »
Bloody hell mate.

There's no one lower than Samie
W

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6067 on: March 28, 2024, 11:17:27 pm »
Why do you not use the whole season out of interest?

9 wins in 8 months then, not exactly stellar still

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6068 on: March 28, 2024, 11:17:28 pm »
Who would you like us to appoint as all I've seen you do recently is moan about other posters wanting Alonso or Amorim?

Dont know, nobody jumps out as being good enough. Nobody has to be the man and not many should be ruled out (apart from Nagelsman).

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6069 on: March 28, 2024, 11:17:49 pm »
Don't believe this about Alonso, we'll see.

There's a lot of fun and games being played out through the press at the moment; I don't think we'll ever know the half of it and I don't think the story this evening is as clear cut as the press make it out to be.

There's a long way to go yet; smoke and mirrors...

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6070 on: March 28, 2024, 11:18:14 pm »
Alonso being on the verge of achieving something amazing has probably made it really difficult to talk to him. He'll be fully focused on that. It's huge. If he achieves it early and we haven't got someone is place then maybe he is ready to talk. Seems like the club want to sort it ASAP and Alonso is 100% focused on the achievement just within his grasp.
@paulair

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #6071 on: March 28, 2024, 11:19:49 pm »
Bloody hell mate.

There's no one lower than Samie

Nagelsmann is the exception to that rule. Hope the Germans win the Euros then we don't have to be worried that we might end up with him...

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6072 on: March 28, 2024, 11:20:21 pm »
I'm fairly relaxed about this news, it's going to be a gamble, whoever we choose.  No real dead cert options out there right now and taking over at Liverpool could either swallow someone whole or turn out to be a marriage made in heaven, and that applies to all the people we're linked with.

I'm open-minded about the whole thing, and we'll get behind the manager, whoever it is.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6073 on: March 28, 2024, 11:22:37 pm »
I still wonder if there’s an outside chance of Alonso, since Joyce and Ornstein were not definitive. They talked like it was probable he was staying at Leverkusen, so Liverpool’s shortlist does not include Alonso. Perhaps that was definitive enough and I’m just clutching at straws!

Who next?

No to De Zerbi for me. He can’t seem to be able to set up a defence.

Amorim? Why not. Let’s do it.

Whoever the new man is will have my full support. Up the reds!

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6074 on: March 28, 2024, 11:23:34 pm »
Call me crazy but I would be up for Stevie over all these other names being mentioned now

Christ almighty, don't start!

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6075 on: March 28, 2024, 11:24:58 pm »
Amorim and Nagelsmann have both won and competed in the Champions League. You can caveat their wins all whatever you like, but they’ve still done it and that has to help them if they’re to come here and compete as we expect.

De Zerbi for me is the biggest risk but he’s probably the one I know most about, have followed the closest and the one that seems to have a far greater level of respect within the game than he does on this forum or social media. He might be the biggest risk but possibly has the most potential for me. Premier league experience is also invaluable.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6076 on: March 28, 2024, 11:24:58 pm »
The Alonso news either feels like he is genuinely waiting for Madrid or it's his camp trying to settle and put to bed and rumours before the business end of the season. I'm inclined to believe Almorin is Edwards' first choice anyway. Other thing that concerns me is the European record - not to compare to Rodgers, but his European record was awful and that is a worry in the back of the mind.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6077 on: March 28, 2024, 11:25:06 pm »

Think I'd take Hodgson over Nagalsmann.

It would be a laugh and he'd be gone quickly.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #6078 on: March 28, 2024, 11:25:57 pm »
Call me crazy but I would be up for Stevie over all these other names being mentioned now

You are crazy

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6079 on: March 28, 2024, 11:26:20 pm »
Nagelsmann is the exception to that rule. Hope the Germans win the Euros then we don't have to be worried that we might end up with him...
Samie is like the bacteria that grow in septic tanks.

There is no lower life form (apart form home economics teachers obviously)
W