Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 510547 times)

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #5960 on: March 28, 2024, 10:05:58 pm »
I think if you’re one of the players, Klopp being replaced by a manager with some pedigree in the game (such as Alonso) softens the blow, but to see him replaced by De Zerbi or Amorim… not sure it makes the contract offers any more convincing.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5961 on: March 28, 2024, 10:06:17 pm »
They are only 4 points worse off than they were at this stage last season and this is while dealing with Europe and injuries.

Yeah he's weirdly underrated in here, not that I'm massively keen but where the hell do people think Brighton should be if 8th is him doing awful and under pressure?! They've been ravaged by injury, fucked up replacing their midfield and had Europe, 8th is really good I'd say.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5962 on: March 28, 2024, 10:07:43 pm »
Yep, the old choose in the box option.

I see why Amorim excites people. Lisbon is a hot house of football and it is impressive that he got Sporting to win the league. But his achievements end there and whilst he is challenging this season, seeing Porto barely get a kick in two games against Arsenal I question the quality of his rivals.

Maybe he is the one, maybe he isn't. I've frankly always been quite tempered by him because his performance in Europe wasn't brilliant and Portugal is Portugal frankly. But the other choices are bad.

I think the most apt comparison to me is Ten Hag - you can look as impressive and dominant in a league like Holland or Portugal, and then when you come up to the top leagues it shows you where you really stand, and it may be below the exciting expectation

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5963 on: March 28, 2024, 10:08:59 pm »
I wont be that disappointed because again I really dont know what I am getting with Amorim and I am amazed people have been so invested in him. At least Alonso, who has his own issues, has done it in a league that we know somewhat.

The only manager I would be pissed off with is Nagelsman because on top of being an average manager, he is a prized twat as well. After that, is a collection of meh.

I think we all agree that the Managerial market isn’t the strongest right now but if rumours of Xabi being our first choice followed by Amorim then there are obviously reasons for that.

If neither choose to come here then you’re probably onto De Zerbi etc.

It’s very difficult to say how someone like Amorim would fare here but it’s right to say he’s done a very good job at his current club against two teams who historically have been better then them.

We’re taking a huge gamble whoever comes in but it would be good to at least get someone in with a title under their belt.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5964 on: March 28, 2024, 10:09:08 pm »
Alonso to Madrid, Ancelotti to us.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #5965 on: March 28, 2024, 10:09:22 pm »
The mad thing I can’t understand with the De Zerbi hate is his Brighton side have been brilliant when we’ve played them. Not that that’s the only reason but if a player was excellent against us we’d be foaming at the mouth to sign them.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5966 on: March 28, 2024, 10:10:19 pm »
Yeah he's weirdly underrated in here, not that I'm massively keen but where the hell do people think Brighton should be if 8th is him doing awful and under pressure?! They've been ravaged by injury, fucked up replacing their midfield and had Europe, 8th is really good I'd say.

I don't know I think more than 6 league wins in 6 months is a reasonable request even for Brighton

Offline Evil Red

• Kemlynite
« Reply #5967 on: March 28, 2024, 10:11:13 pm »
Stevie G back on the menu boys!!!

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #5968 on: March 28, 2024, 10:11:18 pm »
Please. I do not ask for much but do not get De Zerbi, just do not do it.

On my knees here begging, id rather have a player manager.

Can't be doing with losing 5-0 at home to Everton and getting schooled by shite managers all the time because he can't change his tactics when it's not working.

It best be Amorim now. Not shite like De Zerbi or Nagelsman who would be about the next in line.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5969 on: March 28, 2024, 10:11:22 pm »
If he's passing up the opportunity then he's not the man. If he truly wanted to be a Liverpool manager, he should have been jumping at the chance to manage us. Not sure he loves the club as much as he makes out. Jumped ship in 2009 for Real and now he doesn't want to take up the job of a fanbase that still widely adores him. Shame because he is a unique manager. We could have achieved great things under him.

Please not De Zerbi. We're in trouble if we get him.

Probably take Amorim now but i have doubts about whether we achieve anything special. Gut instinct is we'll become a regular top 4 team under him, but not really achieve anything too spectacular. Maybe we just have to get by with any so-so manager for 3-5 years and wait for Alonso to get sacked by Real.

Kind of similar to how we first approached Klopp in 2012 and went through 3 years of Kenny and Rodgers before the timing was right to land the unicorn.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 10:13:24 pm by Andar »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #5970 on: March 28, 2024, 10:11:32 pm »

Brighton fans aren’t happy with how he sets up.

He has no plan B and they didn’t keep a clean sheet until about the 23rd game of this season.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5971 on: March 28, 2024, 10:11:34 pm »
I don't know I think more than 6 league wins in 6 months is a reasonable request even for Brighton

Why do you not use the whole season out of interest?

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5972 on: March 28, 2024, 10:12:01 pm »
I wont be that disappointed because again I really dont know what I am getting with Amorim and I am amazed people have been so invested in him. At least Alonso, who has his own issues, has done it in a league that we know somewhat.

The only manager I would be pissed off with is Nagelsman because on top of being an average manager, he is a prized twat as well. After that, is a collection of meh.

I have been invested in Amorim because I never felt Alonso would come to us. Look back on my previous posts over the past couple of months. I have consistently said I have a feeling Alonso would end up staying at Leverkusen and gave my reasons why. I've done a lot of reading and watched a number of videos on Amorim and I have really warmed to him. I definitely feel his character and style is more suited to Klopp. 

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #5973 on: March 28, 2024, 10:12:51 pm »

Not to mention that he’s on his 7th job in the last decade. We’ll be looking for a new manager by the turn of the year if we are stupid enough to go for him. It would be utterly catastrophic to give someone with a record like his time if he’s not an instant success.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5974 on: March 28, 2024, 10:13:29 pm »
The mad thing I can’t understand with the De Zerbi hate is his Brighton side have been brilliant when we’ve played them. Not that that’s the only reason but if a player was excellent against us we’d be foaming at the mouth to sign them.

The way we set up suits him. Managerial equivalent of Adama Traore.

Teams who are more compact with a low block and are quick on the break tend to school him.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5975 on: March 28, 2024, 10:13:30 pm »
Maybe he is the one, maybe he isn't. I've frankly always been quite tempered by him because his performance in Europe wasn't brilliant and Portugal is Portugal frankly. But the other choices are bad.

I think the most apt comparison to me is Ten Hag - you can look as impressive and dominant in a league like Holland or Portugal, and then when you come up to the top leagues it shows you where you really stand, and it may be below the exciting expectation

I do think the key thing is the big character nature of Klopp.  It's hard to succeed in the PL with such competition year in year out without that personality.  Ten Hag, even if he's a good tactician, doesn't really inspire.  So for Amorim, he'd really need to understand all the pressures (media, supporter base, big personalities in the dressing room) that come with it.

Klopp was always the biggest character around.  Mats Hummels is a huge diva, for example, but Klopp helped make his career at BVB, and no way would he have tried to undermine Klopp (but had no qualms about undermining Tuchel).  How many times have you ever seen a Klopp-managed side down tools?  The inspiration and motivation is second to none.  Given the short-term nature of the sport these days, one bad run, and it's really hard to recover.  Amorim needs the steel to be able to do that.  If he's got it, then I'm not too worried.  But that remains to be seen.
King Kenny.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5976 on: March 28, 2024, 10:13:38 pm »
I think we all agree that the Managerial market isn’t the strongest right now but if rumours of Xabi being our first choice followed by Amorim then there are obviously reasons for that.

If neither choose to come here then you’re probably onto De Zerbi etc.

It’s very difficult to say how someone like Amorim would fare here but it’s right to say he’s done a very good job at his current club against two teams who historically have been better then them.

We’re taking a huge gamble whoever comes in but it would be good to at least get someone in with a title under their belt.

But thats it, one title and whilst Sporting dont win many, we have seen with Benfica and Porto this season that these are not massively impressive sides that its impossible to compete with. But at least in his favour he is challenging.

What would have made him more attractive is if his side had gotten a good European run in them these past few seasons.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5977 on: March 28, 2024, 10:15:23 pm »
Gareth Barry was a far better midfielder and he'll prove to be a far better manager in time, too.

Seriously though, if the stuff about him hanging on to soon join Real is true (and I have no reason to suspect it won't be) it's a thoroughly deserved outcome for people who have constantly proclaimed that he wouldn't dream of managing them (or Bayern, where I can still see him before he comes to Liverpool) when the opportunity is there to manage us. It should really be a bit humbling in fact, but they'll already be doing weird mental gymnastics probably.

I think he will manage the club one day, but until then out of sight and out of mind. I'm sceptical we get Amorim too, amongst other potential names. I've lead myself into believing that despite a great squad to work with for the next manager, that the next few years are going to be a transitional phase for the club, meaning it'll be hard for a 'project' manager which is what Alonso or Amorim would probably be like (similar to Klopp). Not sure if it's the Portuguese factor but not entirely confident Amorim could win us the major trophies in the league and Europe. It was great experience for Mourinho but of course he won more than the domestic honours with Porto and the game has moved on so much.

My pick would be one of either Emery or Inzaghi. If you can't get any of them names I've mentioned just appoint Gareth Southgate so we can all just walk away into the sunset with Klopp.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5978 on: March 28, 2024, 10:15:49 pm »

You’ll clearly be disappointed whoever comes in but there should definitely be some you prefer over others. If Amorim is our second choice and we don’t get him then the situation only gets worse.

Beyond him it's looking very weak and it's a case of begging Ljinders to take it.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5979 on: March 28, 2024, 10:16:53 pm »
I’ve got a feeling, based on nothing, that whoever it is will make the majority of people think WTF, and that person will fail spectacularly or win a title in his first couple of years.

For now, I’m going to place this in my can’t be arsed to care pile and concentrate on enjoying Jurgen.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5980 on: March 28, 2024, 10:16:59 pm »

He wouldn't be my choice but he's objectively done a very respectable job with them. Too many people want to call someone underrated or overrated like they do with every single player.

I half agree with what Stockholm says a bit further up. I think he is very Rodgers-esque, there'll be only one way of playing and it probably won't end with us lifting shiny things in May. That said, I don't think they were embarrassed in Europe at all. They wouldn't have been in it if not for him and they performed admirably for a club of their standings bar one evening against an experienced Roma side. No shame in the job he's done there but he'd be best off going to somewhere like Milan as opposed to a top Prem side IMO.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5981 on: March 28, 2024, 10:17:01 pm »
Klopp was famously a left field choice in 2015  ;)

He was the obvious choice/golden duck who did what FSG want to a degree that no one else can. That was an open goal really.

That absolutely doesn’t exist this time.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5982 on: March 28, 2024, 10:18:25 pm »
I have been invested in Amorim because I never felt Alonso would come to us. Look back on my previous posts over the past couple of months. I have consistently said I have a feeling Alonso would end up staying at Leverkusen and gave my reasons why. I've done a lot of reading and watched a number of videos on Amorim and I have really warmed to him. I definitely feel his character and style is more suited to Klopp. 

Possibly and again I am not saying he isnt a good manager. What I find surprising is how bizarrely obsessive people have been on the likes of Alonso and now looks like they will be on Amorim.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5983 on: March 28, 2024, 10:19:38 pm »
Beyond him it's looking very weak and it's a case of begging Ljinders to take it.

I cant believe how the club has just passed on Ljinders by the way, even if he would be cringe central.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5984 on: March 28, 2024, 10:20:18 pm »
Amorins football style profiles most closely to ours, so there’s logic in that.

People Fannying over a £25m buyout clause ….why?  It might be less for one, and for two, it’s nit that much these days
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5985 on: March 28, 2024, 10:20:28 pm »
Welcome Reuben Amorim.

Xabi Alonso is a tax dodger anyway.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #5986 on: March 28, 2024, 10:20:45 pm »
Alonso to Madrid, Ancelotti to us.
Ideal scenario, but never happening unfortunately.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5987 on: March 28, 2024, 10:20:55 pm »
Player-manager time - Jay Spearing!  ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5988 on: March 28, 2024, 10:20:59 pm »
He wouldn't be my choice but he's objectively done a very respectable job with them. Too many people want to call someone underrated or overrated like they do with every single player.

I half agree with what Stockholm says a bit further up. I think he is very Rodgers-esque, there'll be only one way of playing and it probably won't end with us lifting shiny things in May. That said, I don't think they were embarrassed in Europe at all. They wouldn't have been in it if not for him and they performed admirably for a club of their standings bar one evening against an experienced Roma side. No shame in the job he's done there but he'd be best off going to somewhere like Milan as opposed to a top Prem side IMO.

Rodgers changed his tactics constantly.

De Zerbi is more like Bielsa, he's got one tactic and he'll use it no matter what, so his teams regularly get battered.

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5989 on: March 28, 2024, 10:21:00 pm »
Betfair is interesting.  Alonso now out to 8-1, Amorim is favourite with DeZebri 2nd,
Gary O’Neil is 3rd favourite….lol..or am I missing something.
He’s 15-1 mind.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5990 on: March 28, 2024, 10:21:04 pm »
I cant believe how the club has just passed on Ljinders by the way, even if he would be cringe central.
He’s managed one club.  It was an unmitigated disaster.  I can see why they’d want someone with more experience as a number one.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5991 on: March 28, 2024, 10:23:53 pm »
But thats it, one title and whilst Sporting dont win many, we have seen with Benfica and Porto this season that these are not massively impressive sides that its impossible to compete with. But at least in his favour he is challenging.

What would have made him more attractive is if his side had gotten a good European run in them these past few seasons.

I do agree with the European run, although they did knock Arsenal out last season. Had they beaten Atalanta we could have seen very closely how he sets his teams up and his style of management in the next round.

For me personally, I’ve accepted there’s no one in Jurgen’s league available hence the romantic option of Xabi coming back was my obvious preference, especially based on what he’s managed to do with this Leverkusen team.

Amorim apparently scores well on the analytics side and is young so whilst a relative unknown, he at least has some favourable results on his side in recent times, therefore an interesting option as second choice.

Anyone else leaves me with dread to be honest with very little redeeming features.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5992 on: March 28, 2024, 10:24:06 pm »
He’s managed one club.  It was an unmitigated disaster.  I can see why they’d want someone with more experience as a number one.

He is in a set up that he knows and has had more time working with Klopp. Plus, quite clearly, there isnt an outstanding sure bet out there. I could understand him being passed on if there was a sure bet, but there isnt.

Offline Evil Red

• Kemlynite
« Reply #5993 on: March 28, 2024, 10:25:36 pm »
Call me crazy but I would be up for Stevie over all these other names being mentioned now

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5994 on: March 28, 2024, 10:25:54 pm »
Contract ends after the Euros

And the final is 14th July. Germany may not make the final (or semis only a few days earlier) but we need a manager in place for the start of pre-season and in situ preparing for the job in June.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5995 on: March 28, 2024, 10:26:14 pm »
I do agree with the European run, although they did knock Arsenal out last season. Had they beaten Atalanta we could have seen very closely how he sets his teams up and his style of management in the next round.

For me personally, I’ve accepted there’s no one in Jurgen’s league available hence the romantic option of Xabi coming back was my obvious preference, especially based on what he’s managed to do with this Leverkusen team.

Amorim apparently scores well on the analytics side and is young so whilst a relative unknown, he at least has some favourable results on his side in recent times, therefore an interesting option as second choice.

Anyone else leaves me with dread to be honest with very little redeeming features.

But thats exactly it, with Amorim he is young and has a league title under his belt in a weak league. If our ability to be a top side is what everyone is worried about then everyone should fill you with dread.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #5996 on: March 28, 2024, 10:26:20 pm »
He is in a set up that he knows and has had more time working with Klopp. Plus, quite clearly, there isnt an outstanding sure bet out there. I could understand him being passed on if there was a sure bet, but there isnt.

Every change he doesn’t want to stay anyway, and decided a while back that the project ended for both of them at the same time. 

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #5997 on: March 28, 2024, 10:26:50 pm »
Call me crazy but I would be up for Stevie over all these other names being mentioned now

:lmao

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5998 on: March 28, 2024, 10:27:00 pm »
Not to downplay Amorim's achievement of winning the league but it was during the Covid season. A season where Lille won Ligue 1, Atletico won La Liga and Alkmaar were joint top of Eredivisie with 9 games remaining (season was void after Covid).

Strange year in strange circumstances.

Winning it this year would beat the achievement of winning it the first time. The two seasons after that they have finished 2nd and 3rd. They have finished 2nd twice between 2010-2017. Record in Europe is nothing to shout about.

A good manager without a doubt. A one of a kind, he is not. And it's harsh to expect that but that is what we need. We aren't the best resourced club in the league, so to make up for it we need a manager who is special. Klopp was that and i believe Alonso would have been that too.

Shame the market for top managers is so grim.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5999 on: March 28, 2024, 10:27:31 pm »
Ornstein: 🚨 Liverpool & Bayern Munich expect Xabi Alonso to stay at Bayer Leverkusen. #LFC under that impression for some time so no shock + plans being refined to appoint Klopp successor focus on other candidates @TheAthleticFC after @_pauljoyce #Bayer04 #FCBayern