Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 165679 times)

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #3080 on: February 13, 2024, 01:36:02 am »

Well, if we’re worried about Everton getting relegated and depriving us of a rivalry, that’d be a sure fire way of creating a new one. Not sure I dislike Spurs enough to feel at all positive about the wave of fume that move would cause.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3081 on: February 13, 2024, 01:47:09 am »
It’s Xabi or nothing really, talk of Ange makes me know I’d fuck off watching almost altogether if that’s the downgrade we’d get from Klopp.

Might as well go for Gerrard and at least implode the club properly. Can’t imagine any world where someone like Ange who has done fuck all of note or even been inside any elite club would be contacted as Klopps successor, and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t think very much of FSG.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3082 on: February 13, 2024, 01:52:55 am »
Anyone other than Alonso would have to hit the ground running immediatley.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3083 on: February 13, 2024, 02:41:24 am »
I'd really love to be a fly on the wall for any interview we hold with Xabi, particularly since he's one of the few managers who I think wouldn't be straining to impress the...hiring committee? Board? Whatever? I imagine that they'll have a frank discussion about any desire he has to manage Real in the future, and that he'll answer honestly. If it seems like he'd be tempted away as early as the end of Ancelotti's reign, we should shake his hand and move on to another candidate. I'm going to be disappointed if he's not our next manager, but it'll be a lot worse if he comes here, does well, and then goes to Madrid after two seasons. Well, unless he wins two PL an CL titles in that time, I suppose.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3084 on: February 13, 2024, 03:09:00 am »

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3086 on: February 13, 2024, 06:14:08 am »
It’s Xabi or nothing really, talk of Ange makes me know I’d fuck off watching almost altogether if that’s the downgrade we’d get from Klopp.

Might as well go for Gerrard and at least implode the club properly. Can’t imagine any world where someone like Ange who has done fuck all of note or even been inside any elite club would be contacted as Klopps successor, and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t think very much of FSG.

TBF Ange has done about 1000x what Alonso has done in the same job. Not saying he's the man for the job, but his CV is quite alot better than Xabi's current managerial one.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3087 on: February 13, 2024, 06:26:57 am »
Not Ange I hope as I really can't stand the man. Mate, mate.

With all the noise around Xabi it feels like it can't be anyone else at this point but I'm still keeping an open mind because you just never know!

If he did come it would be really interesting how he set up, I don't think he would try to do what he is doing at Leverkusen as we have very different players in some areas.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #3088 on: February 13, 2024, 06:53:41 am »
I’d be worried about the hierarchy’s thought process if Postecoglou was on any sort of shortlist or invited to discuss the role at all.

Realistically the shortlist should be exactly that, very fucking short and probably limited to the following:

Xabi Alonso
Ruben Amorim
Graham Potter
Julian Nagelsmann
Roberto De Zerbi

Perhaps throw Schmidt as a left-field discussion point. And frankly, I don’t think Potter or De Zerbi should be up there but there’s not a lot of innovative young coaches available and it would be worth understanding what their plans might be. Neither has the CV.

“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3089 on: February 13, 2024, 07:09:50 am »
Ange wouldn’t be the worst appointment in the world. There’s no guarantee Alonso signs so it would be negligent to not sound out alternatives. If Alonso isn’t possible my preference are in this order;

1. Nagelsmann
I think his style of play most mirrors Klopp’s. Improves players.

2. De Zerbi
Exciting brand of football. Improves players. Used to a finite budget.

3. Ange
Exciting brand of football. Liverpool fan.

4. Amorim
Exciting football

But these choices are consolation prizes to Alonso.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3090 on: February 13, 2024, 07:16:56 am »
I’d be worried about the hierarchy’s thought process if Postecoglou was on any sort of shortlist or invited to discuss the role at all.

Realistically the shortlist should be exactly that, very fucking short and probably limited to the following:

Xabi Alonso
Ruben Amorim
Graham Potter
Julian Nagelsmann
Roberto De Zerbi

Perhaps throw Schmidt as a left-field discussion point. And frankly, I don’t think Potter or De Zerbi should be up there but there’s not a lot of innovative young coaches available and it would be worth understanding what their plans might be. Neither has the CV.

I'm not a fan of Ange, however he's won things virtually everywhere he's been.

Australia - 2 x National Soccer League (precursor to the A-League), 2 x A-League
Japan - 1 x J-League
International - 1 x AFC Asian Cup (just won by Qatar)
Scotland - 2 x SPL, 1 x Scottish Cup, 2 x Scottish League Cup
Premier League - First 10 Games League

Bar the lack of Top 5 League experience I think the fact he turns 59 this year could hinder the opportunity for us to have a long-term replacement to Klopp.

My only question on Xabi, is what cptrios mentioned about his long-term ambition to manage Real Madrid and the temptation to go there when Ancelotti steps down.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3091 on: February 13, 2024, 07:29:45 am »

Ha invited by whom? It's probably Levy inviting him to discuss the rumours that don't really exist.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3092 on: February 13, 2024, 07:49:12 am »

Xabi Alonso
Ruben Amorim
Graham Potter
Julian Nagelsmann
Roberto De Zerbi

You'd be worried if Postecoglu was on the shortlist but you'd expect Graham Potter to be on it?!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3093 on: February 13, 2024, 08:11:48 am »
I think I'm rooting for Xabi partly because he's the one hire who'll keep my interest in football firing - perhaps not as strong as Jurgen but I couldn't just swerve it. Anyone else and the old 'swerve' option comes into play.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3094 on: February 13, 2024, 08:15:38 am »
i would rather Ange than Potter
Nagelsman being Germany coach until the Euro's rules him out we cant really waste June waiting for him

Schmidt i think would be a solid apointment

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3095 on: February 13, 2024, 08:16:06 am »
Alonso would have all the fans on board immediately anyone would fracture the fanbase until positive results got everyone on board.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3096 on: February 13, 2024, 08:17:40 am »
Nagelsman being Germany coach until the Euro's rules him out we cant really waste June waiting for him

To be fair, the DoF would be making the signings. Preseason wouldn’t be ideal but you could do it if he were the one we wanted.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #3097 on: February 13, 2024, 08:20:26 am »
Speaking on SEN’s The Run Home on Monday, host Andy Maher revealed a source with an extensive history of accurate mail on Postecoglou’s managerial movements had told him the former Socceroos coach had been invited to discuss his rumoured dream job with Liverpool.

“So, this is what I’ve received today (from my source) with a, ‘take it to the bank’, right,” Maher said.

“I’m not going to mention who it is (but the message reads), ‘Postecoglou’s manager Frank Trimboli has formally received ‘an invitation to discuss his potential interest in the Liverpool Football Club managerial position.’”

Maher explained his source had previously corrected informed him of Postecoglou’s moves to Yokohama F. Marinos in Japan and Celtic in the Scottish Premiership.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02/12/take-it-to-the-bank-mahers-strong-mail-that-links-postecoglou-to-liverpool/
And right there, we have the answer. Who else would give a fuck about this chancer's career from Australia and move to the J-League? The "source" is obviously Postecoglou himself, and in this case fabricated in an attempt to get improved terms on his existing contract.

Fuck off. Mate.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3098 on: February 13, 2024, 09:17:24 am »
Ange i actually like as a person he is a little bit Klopp like in terms of a being a decent human being.

The only thing is his tactics i think would be found out defensively but it would be very attacking

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3099 on: February 13, 2024, 09:21:58 am »
Nothing wrong with Postecoglou being on a shortlist. The purpose of a shortlist is to whittle it down to the most likely candidates, you need to consider someone before deciding they're a poor fit.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3100 on: February 13, 2024, 09:22:24 am »
Ange i actually like as a person he is a little bit Klopp like in terms of a being a decent human being.

The only thing is his tactics i think would be found out defensively but it would be very attacking

Agreed, think he'd really struggle in Europe in particular.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3101 on: February 13, 2024, 09:30:52 am »
Agreed, think he'd really struggle in Europe in particular.
Yeah we could get some great wins but heavy haevay defeats.
I really only think Alonso,Amorim are the two main candidates.
Brighton have fallen off a bit this year De Zerbi doing a good job but after a great start it is similar to what Potter acheived & Brighton have amazing recruitment.

Schimdt at Benfica is a good shout always impressed me
Spalletti i would have liked if he had not been with Italy

Online Kloppage Time

• Main Stander
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #3102 on: February 13, 2024, 09:46:47 am »
If FSG weren't originally targeting Xabi, they are now, they do seem to regard the pulse of the fanbase seriously
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3103 on: February 13, 2024, 10:09:25 am »
We’ve got to have alternatives because as much as we find it unpalatable, Alonso is not a nailed on certainty.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3104 on: February 13, 2024, 10:13:41 am »
TBF Ange has done about 1000x what Alonso has done in the same job. Not saying he's the man for the job, but his CV is quite alot better than Xabi's current managerial one.
Hodgson's CV is better than Xabi's

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3105 on: February 13, 2024, 10:14:45 am »
If FSG weren't originally targeting Xabi, they are now, they do seem to regard the pulse of the fanbase seriously
Which member of this forum is a secret FSG plant, or do they just read it.
Look for people asking questions
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3106 on: February 13, 2024, 10:14:47 am »
Ange wants a raise already?

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3107 on: February 13, 2024, 10:19:22 am »

With all due respect, the dude has managed in small leagues for all but 8 months of his career, and a 4 year stint as Australia manager. He is older yet less experienced at big jobs that Alonso

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3108 on: February 13, 2024, 10:52:42 am »

With respect: fuck the fanbase! I want FSG to find and hire the best coach they can who has the tools, ideas and communication skills for the job. Yes, I personally think Xabi Alonso is a strong contender but there are others and it amuses me to see folk on here turning their noses up at X, Y and Z. The fella at Sporting is not that well known here but he might be perfect for us. How many had detailed knowledge of Rafa before he joined? Get a strong sporting director and then grab a young coach, who is good with youth players and understands the power of Anfield.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3109 on: February 13, 2024, 11:08:21 am »

Schmidt i think would be a solid apointment

Tell me more about Schmidt.

Is/was he part of the Red Bull teams at one point?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3111 on: February 13, 2024, 12:14:29 pm »
The idea that FSG doesn’t have alternatives to Alonso would be utter madness.
He may not feel the job is right for him at this stage of his career.

We might not like the alternatives but the field of candidates isn’t great full stop - and that includes Alonso in my view.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3112 on: February 13, 2024, 12:21:36 pm »
The idea that FSG doesn’t have alternatives to Alonso would be utter madness.
He may not feel the job is right for him at this stage of his career.

We might not like the alternatives but the field of candidates isn’t great full stop - and that includes Alonso in my view.

Alonso is perfect in so many ways. Has a real connection with the club, has had a brilliant football career, has had an excellent coaching 'traineeship', is doing brilliantly well at his club and has them playing the sort of football a club of our stature needs to play. The only downside is he's not had long enough coaching at the top level. I agree with you about the overall field of candidates because Alonso is easily the obvious candidate despite his downside but on his own terms he's still a super option.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #3113 on: February 13, 2024, 12:24:05 pm »
I'm not a fan of Ange, however he's won things virtually everywhere he's been.

Australia - 2 x National Soccer League (precursor to the A-League), 2 x A-League
Japan - 1 x J-League
International - 1 x AFC Asian Cup (just won by Qatar)
Scotland - 2 x SPL, 1 x Scottish Cup, 2 x Scottish League Cup
Premier League - First 10 Games League

Brilliant :lmao

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3114 on: February 13, 2024, 12:35:08 pm »
Alonso is a certainty.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online Garlic Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #3115 on: February 13, 2024, 12:38:30 pm »
With respect: fuck the fanbase! I want FSG to find and hire the best coach they can who has the tools, ideas and communication skills for the job. Yes, I personally think Xabi Alonso is a strong contender but there are others and it amuses me to see folk on here turning their noses up at X, Y and Z. The fella at Sporting is not that well known here but he might be perfect for us. How many had detailed knowledge of Rafa before he joined? Get a strong sporting director and then grab a young coach, who is good with youth players and understands the power of Anfield.

I suppose the difference with then and now is Valencia were seen as a top stepping stone club to a club like us. Rafa had won La liga, he’d won continental competition and reached a CL final, he’d quite clearly pitted himself against the best and came close to/out on top, consistently. It feels like there’s a dearth of managers in that bracket these days, a Mourinho at Porto, a Rafa at Valencia or a Klopp at Dortmund. Alonso quite clearly feels the closest to that because of what he’s doing at Leverkusen and the environments he’s played a key part in as a player. The issue is Klopp had managed for 14-15 years prior to taking our job on, he was clearly in his managerial peak and the outstanding appointment. Even the most optimistic fan would struggle to suggest Alonso’s in his peak, but maybe that’s how modern football’s going now, big clubs take more risks and the experience doesn’t matter as much. Arsenal did it with Arteta, Madrid did it with Zidane, Barcelona did it with Pep, Alonso’s got more experience than any of them when they took those jobs on and ticks every box. I think every fan’s entitled to believe he’s the outstanding choice, all of the others might have experience on him but experienced doesn’t mean better. FSG will probably feel Alonso’s a big risk, maybe he is, but what fan wouldn’t be happy taking a risk aiming for the top vs settling for someone with less potential because their body of work is deeper.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3116 on: February 13, 2024, 12:49:26 pm »
Alonso is a certainty.

Thanos was inevitable - look what happened.

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3117 on: February 13, 2024, 12:51:47 pm »
Tell me more about Schmidt.

Is/was he part of the Red Bull teams at one point?

He was part of Red Bull. Done a good job everywhere really & alot of experinece
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/027c-16f0f0c0fcf7-67a5ede3946c-1000--benfica-coach-roger-schmidt-on-the-champions-league-mecha/

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/head-coach-analysis/roger-schmidt-at-benfica-202223-tactical-analysis-tactics

Not as good this season with Benfica losing so many players but i22/23 Benfica were the strongest Portugese side in a long time imo

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3118 on: February 13, 2024, 12:53:37 pm »

Xabi Alonso
Ruben Amorim
Graham Potter
Julian Nagelsmann
Roberto De Zerbi

Realistically Simeone and Inzaghi will be first names on that list.

Online Redley

• Kopite
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #3119 on: February 13, 2024, 12:57:26 pm »
Realistically Simeone and Inzaghi will be first names on that list.

Based on...?