Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 636335 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #12000 on: April 24, 2024, 04:35:25 pm »
And he calls himself Heart and Soul.  ;D

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #12001 on: April 24, 2024, 04:35:47 pm »
No problem at all with Baldness, just pointing out that the NW may be the spiritual home of bald PL managers soon, 5/5, albeit we will be losing Ten Hag and Kompany (we'd lose Dyche as well if they could afford to sack him)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12002 on: April 24, 2024, 04:36:15 pm »
:lmao

He probably lives in Mumbai. Can't trust anything on Instagram these days.

nielskings? I'd say it's got a nordic twang :)

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12003 on: April 24, 2024, 04:38:49 pm »
Can everyone try and get the bald and Slot machine jokes out their system before he arrives here please?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12004 on: April 24, 2024, 04:40:05 pm »
Johan Cruyff once kissed Slot's bald head.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12005 on: April 24, 2024, 04:41:03 pm »
That'd be a bit like if you were to ask Celtic fans who their best manager has been over the past 25 years and they would all say big Ange? If we were linked to him, would that have been enough for you as well? At the end of the day, these fans are watching these teams in inferior leagues where the quality of both opposition managers and players are pretty poor.

We'll just have to wait and see how it translate in the premier league when he faces a team with 11 men parked in front of their penalty box and managers with high tactical knowledge.

But it's not the same as Celtic though is it? Again, as a Scot who loves the game up here (and follows the divisions below), we've got the heart and passion, and entertainment in the lower reaches but not the tactical or technical sophistication. In fact, Scotland as a footballing nation are luddites compared to the Netherlands when it comes to the development and coaching of the game, hence why a country of a similar size to ours is far superior on the international stage because coaching and management and general progressive ideas are a habit engrained in that country.

And another question is, who do you really want instead? I see a common theme amongst people poo pooing the likes of Amorim or Slot, yet they are the ones who want us to go for prize tossers like Mourinho and Nagalsmann on the basis 'they've won stuff' without backing their arguments up with any useful context (all the while completely disrespecting the culture and heritage of this club who would never lower themselves to such toxic managers, such fans are not real supporters).

In fact, the ignorance and pig headedness of those going against such a signing make me more confident that Liverpool are doing the right thing here. If it were up to them, we'd have a team full of c**** like ageing Ronaldo and managers like Mourinho, playing the game like its FIFA on the PS4 (a game I suspect is the only way they obtain their knowledge of football). Absolute social media whoppers the lot of you.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 04:43:53 pm by mattD »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #12006 on: April 24, 2024, 04:42:23 pm »
If you want to see the negative in everything sure, enjoy the echo chamber of doom.

Should re title this thread....or any thread at moment.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12007 on: April 24, 2024, 04:43:06 pm »
nielskings? I'd say it's got a nordic twang :)

Yeah like the guy with the thick Delhi accent who called me last week named Simon MacJohnson.

Jokes aside I'm sure the vast majority of Feyenoord fans will have nothing but great things to say of him.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12008 on: April 24, 2024, 04:43:47 pm »
True. Let's not downplay Alonso's achievements.

He would have been my man. If he's backed by an excellent infrastructure and recruitment like he had at Leverkusen, then I can't see him failing.

But I also believe there are a good few suited to managing Liverpool. And Slot's Feyernoord or Amorim's Sporting are exceptions in Europe of clubs punching above their weights and breaking the established winners of their competitions. And all done so with clever, progressive coaching that has improved players markedly with some exceptional football on display. This is also what I tell myself when I see the likes of Ten Haag or Vilas-Boas failing in England; they did exceptionally well at their clubs.... but they were at clubs expected to dominate with their resources. Only winning the Champions League should alert people as it did with Mourinho. But it's often the case that if a major club like Ajax or Porto are run really well, it's beside the point who is the manager. Feyernood or Sporting Lisbon don't have that luxury and require a brilliant manager.

I know they're not elite leagues but they come from rich football cultures brimming with elite ideas, managers and players. That's got to count for something too. Feyernoord are European Cup winners too (beating a great Celtic in '70 no less) so these countries a geared towards knowing a thing or two.

Reading up from all the experts on both, whether you prefer Amorim or Slot, I think both are fair game for something big.

Is Feyenoord finishing ahead of PSV, them massively punching above their weight?

Ajax are falling away badly, apparantly having their worst ever time.  Feyenoord winning now should be expected I would have thought.  Or is the gap between feyenoord and PSV like the gap financially between LFC and Abu dhabi?

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12009 on: April 24, 2024, 04:45:19 pm »
I’m glad we’re looking to make a strong continuity appointment that will build on the amazing work done over the last few years. There are also promising parallels in terms of character and philosophy between Klopp and Slot. Really excited - seems a better fit than Amorim.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12010 on: April 24, 2024, 04:46:35 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKJEeJXwCsI

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I'm quite warming to him taking over from Klopp after watching this.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12011 on: April 24, 2024, 04:47:26 pm »
Slot has taken Feyenoord on pre season camps to Austria the past two seasons. Basically we want nothing to change.   ;D

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12012 on: April 24, 2024, 04:47:55 pm »
What’s the deal here? Not sure why people think Amorim is ok while Slot isn’t. Think this summer Alonso would have been the overwhelming favourite but sine he’s not available, we were pretty much looking at managers who are largely unproven anyway.

Love his larger than life personality. Already had scuffles with Mourinho and Simeone, good European experience, won stuff, and speaks fluent English. Translatable football tactics, and gets the best out of his players. Was even Tottenham’s first choice last summer. What’s not to like?

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12013 on: April 24, 2024, 04:49:21 pm »
Is Feyenoord finishing ahead of PSV, them massively punching above their weight?

Ajax are falling away badly, apparantly having their worst ever time.  Feyenoord winning now should be expected I would have thought.  Or is the gap between feyenoord and PSV like the gap financially between LFC and Abu dhabi?

PSV have dropped points in 4 of their 30 games, 1 loss and 3 draws. They’ve conceded just 17 times. Ajax may be falling away but it’s hard to keep pace with numbers like this

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12014 on: April 24, 2024, 04:49:48 pm »
He turned down Spurs last summer sandwiched in between two trophy winning seasons. The man is an absolute born winner.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12015 on: April 24, 2024, 04:50:04 pm »

I wouldn't know, but from what I've read, PSV and Ajax are well clear of Feyenoord in terms of finances and resources.

Let's not pretend that Feyenoord are having an unsuccessful year this either, considering they've won the Dutch Cup.

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12016 on: April 24, 2024, 04:50:38 pm »
One Portuguese reporter, Bruno Andrade, stated that Amorim's trip to West Ham was to put pressure on us but we didn't bite and it therefore back-fired. Apparently Amorim will make a statement at the press conference before the Porto match this Saturday.

Personally I think this is bollix as there is no way that we would be petty like this. If we wanted Amorim then we would have gone for him and not "hesitated". It's more likely that we talked to Amorim but our main target was Slot. It could be just a story made up by the journalist or it could be coming from Amorim's agent for some reason.

Don't believe all that stuff for one second. The reality is probably more like we asked if he could be flexible with his formation, and he said he would stick with his setup. We don't have many CB's. He'll need at least 2 more. A LWB. Different attacker maybe. He only needs 2 starting CMs. We have about 8 overall. We've decided to expensive and moved on.

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12017 on: April 24, 2024, 04:51:55 pm »

Feyenoord are having another really good season, with enough tally to win the league. PSV are just having a freak season and winning everything. Wouldn't put this one hard on Slot.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12018 on: April 24, 2024, 04:52:13 pm »
Can everyone try and get the bald and Slot machine jokes out their system before he arrives here please?

Please.

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #12019 on: April 24, 2024, 04:52:16 pm »
Been having a think about the Rotterdam/Liverpool thing this afternoon. Some base level similarities.

Hello Paul Heaton :wave

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12020 on: April 24, 2024, 04:54:47 pm »

If Feyenoord win their last four this season they'll finish on more points than they did last season as champions. It's more a sign of how good this PSV team has been. PSV will have more money than them even if they probably wouldn't exactly blow them away. It sounds like they were in a bit of a state behind the scenes and on the pitch before he got there, he's had decent achievements in all three of his seasons there until now.

His domestic record has been very good, I think he's only lost about ten Eredivisie matches in three seasons there and it builds on what he did with Alkmaar before Covid happened.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #12021 on: April 24, 2024, 04:55:22 pm »

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/eredivisie/einkaufswert/wettbewerb/NL1

I’ve not done loads of digging but from what I’ve read, he’s lost quite a lot of players since he’s been there but replaced the outgoing players really well.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #12022 on: April 24, 2024, 04:56:35 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7kNy9MJiE&ab_channel=ThisIsAnfield

Arne Slot | Likely new Liverpool manager speaking in English

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12023 on: April 24, 2024, 04:58:09 pm »
Feyenoord have always been the third team in Holland behond PSV and of course Ajax.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12024 on: April 24, 2024, 04:58:16 pm »
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but a 4-2-3-1 could work very well for the likes of Szoboszlai, Elliott and potentially even Carvalho

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #12025 on: April 24, 2024, 05:03:07 pm »
Hello Paul Heaton :wave

Liverpool and Rotterdam will work well, not sure Slot will be keen in Rome though
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline traustibm

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #12026 on: April 24, 2024, 05:06:07 pm »
Apparently the 3rd best manager in Feyenoord’s history. Wow! Now I’m excited and ready to take a punt in the slot machine.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 05:07:52 pm by traustibm »
“I can't watch TV longer than five minutes without praying for nuclear holocaust.”
― Bill Hicks

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12027 on: April 24, 2024, 05:07:06 pm »
Apparently the 3rd best manager in Feyenoord’s history. Wow! Now I’m excited and ready to take a punt in the slot machine!

Feyenoord fans saying Slot is one of their top 3 managers ever behind Ernst Happel and some other fella.  :D

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #12028 on: April 24, 2024, 05:07:50 pm »
Talking in English last year when being linked with Spurs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tdL-h6OxBg&ab_channel=ESPNUK

Arne Slot responds to Tottenham links 👀 ‘Premier League is the best league in the world!’ | ESPN FC

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12029 on: April 24, 2024, 05:08:08 pm »

So he's what? The equivalent of Jurgen Klopp to us? Or would that be Kenny Dalglish?  ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12030 on: April 24, 2024, 05:09:33 pm »
So he's what? The equivalent of Jurgen Klopp to us? Or would that be Kenny Dalglish?  ;D

Ernst Happel is their Shankly and Paisley. I presume the guy who they rate at #2 is their Dalglish.   ;D

Offline traustibm

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #12031 on: April 24, 2024, 05:10:27 pm »
Danny Murphy is impressed by Slot. Sold!
“I can't watch TV longer than five minutes without praying for nuclear holocaust.”
― Bill Hicks

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12032 on: April 24, 2024, 05:11:17 pm »

Fuck sake.

Online Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #12033 on: April 24, 2024, 05:13:33 pm »

That's 1 of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse showing his face. Goodbye LFC, we had a good run.
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12034 on: April 24, 2024, 05:14:35 pm »

I can just about handle that. If it were not Stephen 'Erik Ten Hag scares me' Warnock, I'd be a lot more concerned.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12035 on: April 24, 2024, 05:16:10 pm »
If we wanted a manager with lovely hair and a nice hairline, we could have just gone for Stevie.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #12036 on: April 24, 2024, 05:16:44 pm »
Ah Danny Murphy is alright....

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12037 on: April 24, 2024, 05:18:35 pm »
I wouldn't know, but from what I've read, PSV and Ajax are well clear of Feyenoord in terms of finances and resources.

Let's not pretend that Feyenoord are having an unsuccessful year this either, considering they've won the Dutch Cup.

PSV have won 10 titles since 2000. Ajax have won 9. Feyenoord 2 (one of which was last year)

Very much the third wheel. Similar dynamic to Portugal.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline seandundee16

• Main Stander
« Reply #12038 on: April 24, 2024, 05:19:56 pm »
Maybe when Klopp goes I'll start thinking properly about the new manager but realistically it's going to be a comedown for no matter who gets the job. I'd be fairly sure that those charged with making the appointment will have done their due diligence and are happy with Slot. The rest is just noise and thankfully Twitter is not real life for those who gauge their opinions from that cesspit.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #12039 on: April 24, 2024, 05:20:34 pm »
Just a baldie backing another baldie. You can't trust them, devious so and so's.

And I speak as someone tremendously follically challenged.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75