Author Topic: Burnley v Liverpool, PL, 26th Dec - 17:30KO  (Read 8867 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Burnley v Liverpool, PL, 26th Dec - 17:30KO
« on: December 25, 2023, 09:13:43 am »
Burnley v Liverpool
Premier League, Matchday 19
Tuesday 26th December 2023, 17:30, Turf Moor

Referee: Paul Tierney, Assistants: Marc Perry, Scott Ledger
Fourth official: Graham Scott, VAR: Simon Hooper, Assistant VAR: Nick Hopton

Merry Christmas you lovely people.  :wave
This year, on a very short turnaround after that exhausting match against Arsenal, Liverpool are playing on Boxing Day against drowning but battling Burnley - who look as destined to go down as any club I've ever seen (but we said the same about Everton and look how that turned out). So what can we expect?

Well, looking at Burnley paints very much a similar picture to what we might have seen before visiting Sheffield and Luton - with one major difference. I honestly do not see Burnley offering the same defensive resilience those two clubs demonstrated. Burnley seem to be a different prospect, attempting to play a more expansive brand of football and repeatedly getting punched in the mouth by more organised and quality filled teams in this division. Yet still they try and make no mistake about it - they  will carry threat if we  allow them room and time to operate. I wouldn't exactly say it's the same type of scenario we faced in previous two away games against newly promoted sides this season - but it does come with some perils. Most important one obviously being a holiday fixture - which will as always be rowdy and loud. It's the type of fixture that from our perspective cries out for establishing early control. Not necessarily fierce and aggressive opening that looks to crack them early - but high tempo control, one that will make their structure wobble. Maintaining pressure with good passing and movement is key here. They need to be made to work much harder than what we managed to do against Palace, Luton and Sheffield away. Those games were shaped by our relatively slow and uninventive passing from the back paired with fast, sloppy and nervous passing near the goal. Which basically meant we struggled to apply meaningful pressure for sustained periods of time. If there is one thing we should look to change, this is it for me. Snappy , focussed and brave from the back - get the ball up and keep it there, moving them around faster. Openings will come, if none are available then recycle rather that crossing aimlessly or taking wild shots.

For those, like me, who don't follow them closely - Burnley beat Fulham in their last outing, in a game that not only ended their miserable run of five straight away losses, but one in which they showed a lot of fight and effort. And this is what we need to be vary of, they are now home, festive and hostile atmosphere, after a good result. They will be more than up for it and we once again seem to be facing a lower end team as they hit the upwards trend and form curve. Which really means - do not fuck about and expect a fight. We cant be taking much for granted here, holiday fixtures always spit out a few wild results and I do hope we make this a calm, boring procession as much as possible. Give them something to hold on to and it will get nasty - fast. Not that we can't handle those scenarios, but really it would be great if didn't have to this one time. There is only so much room for anxiety in mince pie filled bellies after all.  :lickin

It will be curious to see who gets a run out for us, I do expect some changes, but not too many. It will be as strong as possible, with enough recovery time afterwards before Newcastle. The injuries are now pretty much determining some things, so Gomez is almost certainly playing left back until who knows when, probably the Winter break. Midfield might see Harvey get a start, I think it would be both deserved and desireable, with Endo and hopefully Jones alongside him. It's the attack that we can't really be certain about, especially the left side - which felt like a bit of a dead leg ever since Robbo got injured. Do we choose this game to try and inject some threat in there with Joe deputising in a half-comfortable position, or do we just play by numbers for a while longer and focus elsewhere? Not sure. I think it will be the relatively standard lineup of Diaz-Nunez and Salah, which really doesn't resolve anything on the left side. But we are where we are now - it's crunch time and we have to make do with what is available. Let's just come prepared to fight and just a bit more focussed than previous bottom team away games.

There we are.
Another Christmas.
Another year almost gone.

This new Liverpool looking good.
Let's end 2023 in style.  :wave

« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 06:33:16 pm by Zlen »

Online Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Burnley v Liverpool, PL, 26th Dec - 17:30KO
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 11:31:41 am »
Brillant OP, thank you.

Like all other low end teams, playing against a Klopp team- that also happens to be Liverpool- brings the best out of opposing players. These are career defining games for players.

Burnley will give it a real go but ultimately our quality will prevail. I don’t see them scoring so depends on how clinical we are.

I think we will win 3-0

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 12:00:08 pm »
Brillant OP, thank you.

Like all other low end teams, playing against a Klopp team- that also happens to be Liverpool- brings the best out of opposing players. These are career defining games for players.

Burnley will give it a real go but ultimately our quality will prevail. I don’t see them scoring so depends on how clinical we are.

I think we will win 3-0

Wonder if we play Bradley or Gomez at left back.
I would rest Endo as he’s a booking away from a ban and has played 90 minutes 3 times in 6 days already.
Jones, Dom and Ryan in midfield.
Salah, Nunez and Gakpo up top?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 12:09:08 pm »
Happy Christmas everyone

These will make things tough you'd think but there's no excuses not to win which we must do. Nice few days off after this one too.

Alisson
Trent  Konate  VVD  Gomez
Endo  Jones  Szoboszlai
Salah  Nunez  Gakpo
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 12:15:48 pm »
Even Chelsea looked good going forward v these so would be worrying if our creative woes continue. Could do without Endo getting a yellow here.

Get me Harvey, Curtis and Darwin starts.

Hopefully we hammer them but would love Joe doing a Ragnar in front of our end deep, deep, deep, deep in to added time.

Online Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 12:28:23 pm »
Wonder if we play Bradley or Gomez at left back.
I would rest Endo as he’s a booking away from a ban and has played 90 minutes 3 times in 6 days already.
Jones, Dom and Ryan in midfield.
Salah, Nunez and Gakpo up top?

Tough call, we definitely need Endo for Newcastle, but if Mac is fit then Endo might be given the Burnley game.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2023, 12:30:31 pm »
Burnley are not as bad as the table suggests

Will be a tough enough game

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2023, 12:39:10 pm »
Thanks for the write up Zlen.

Burnley seem to want to play football so should be interesting.

Let’s see if their desire to play football is included with the sly shirt tugging we seem to get all the time. :D

Anyway happy Xmas all.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2023, 12:54:54 pm »
Thanks for the write up Zlen. And for getting it done over Christmas.

Really hopeful we close the year out with 3 points. 42 points at half way, would be an excellent return from a team still finding its way.

The next month ahead will be a real test without Mo, Endo and the injured players, so it’s really important to finish the year with a win. Especially off the back of two draws.

A repeat of Saturdays performance should be enough.

Merry Christmas All
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline YNWA.A

• Main Stander
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2023, 01:13:45 pm »
Whatever way possible, just win. I imagine Quansha comes in for Ibou, and Gomez stays as LB.

I imagine Diaz wont start or wont be risked, so no idea who plays on the left, but maybe Gakpo Darwin and Mo up.top. Harvey, Jones and probably Endo in midfield.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2023, 01:20:33 pm »
This is approaching must win territory.

Not just for a title race but top 4 is CROWDED - and spurs back in the mix somehow.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2023, 01:45:50 pm »
No doubt that Kompany will have them playing compact and fouling at every opportunity.

Win and we go top.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2023, 01:55:22 pm »
Tierney Ref, That bald fat C*nt on VAR.

Brilliant.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 02:30:15 pm »
No doubt that Kompany will have them playing compact and fouling at every opportunity.

Win and we go top.

Each time we have had that opportunity this season - we've not taken it - right?

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2023, 02:35:08 pm »
Draw and we go top.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2023, 02:45:53 pm »
Tierney reffing a festive match away at Burnley, where Kompany is the manager. The team is going to get the shit kicked out of them. Tierney will show 4 yellow cards after the 80th minute to Burnley. I hope we will survive without injuries.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2023, 03:07:35 pm »
Why are we playing on 26th and Arsenal not until 28th ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2023, 03:10:00 pm »
Were not winning this one. Low block for 90 minutes while we play 30 yard balls to Diaz and Salah and wait for a cross. Only way we win this one, is with a freak long range shot, or set piece. The worst fixture possible to have when we need a win to stay in the race.
Seen us win everything

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2023, 03:16:19 pm »
Were not winning this one. Low block for 90 minutes while we play 30 yard balls to Diaz and Salah and wait for a cross. Only way we win this one, is with a freak long range shot, or set piece. The worst fixture possible to have when we need a win to stay in the race.

You are thinking of Dyche's Burnley, Kompany doesn't play like that. It;s the sewer version of Pep's he is trying to play like.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2023, 03:36:10 pm »
So positive. Merry Christmas!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2023, 03:39:30 pm »

Put the sherry away.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2023, 03:50:35 pm »

We don't play again until Jan 1, Arsenal plays Dec 31 - it evens out I think.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2023, 03:56:24 pm »

We have a 5 day break after so it all evens out

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2023, 04:07:58 pm »
We have a 5 day break after so it all evens out

I will put my tin foil hat away.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2023, 04:24:37 pm »
Time to get back on track and get the lads firing on all cylinders.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2023, 05:48:08 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks Zlen, really detailed op. Can’t believe that we get a Christmas sandwich of Kavanagh and Tierney. Not at all obvious😂.
Despite that, I don’t think he can do enough to stop us winning. Injuries on Saturday help shape the team with Gomez and Nunez likely starters.
Need a decent win here, expect us to get it.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2023, 06:03:26 pm »
Boxing Day isn't a thing here and the two bars i go to on a kinda regular basis don't open for lunch so find a new place or watch at home? Think we'll be up for this one,dunno about a clean sheet but win...go 3-1 Redmen.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2023, 07:18:54 pm »
Tierney… urgh
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2023, 07:20:30 pm »
Thanks for the OP Zlen, Great Job.
Will be interesting how Klopp rotates for this. Excited for this one

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2023, 07:35:31 pm »
Great op Zlen.
There's a simple explanation for Burnley beating Fulham 2-0 with their only 2 shots on target in a match Fulham dominated.  Yours truly picked Fulham in the work last man standing competition  :duh.
Discounting that we should be too good for them. I don't think they're capable of bus parking and the last two games we've actually played well. I probably haven't said that for a while despite our good results. This time of year results can be a bit nuts.  Upsets and hammerings  tend to happen.  I think Jurgen has managed the squad as well as he can and Tierney aside the omens are good. 3-1 the reds..

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2023, 08:10:08 pm »
We need to finish these off, it’s becoming an annoying Achilles heel this fluffing our lines. We’re far better than them, we just need to show it and be clinical in showing it.

Up to the Pool!
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2023, 08:34:12 pm »

Online Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2023, 08:41:51 pm »
I keep forgetting Burnley are in the Premier League.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2023, 09:00:23 pm »
Why do we always seems to play the relegation teams when they find a bit of form.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2023, 09:39:24 pm »
Strong team tomorrow, 5 days until next game … would like to see Elliott and Nunez in.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2023, 10:05:11 pm »
Burnley should probably just stick everyone behind the ball and make it really hard for us to break them down.

The problem for them is Kompany is one of those idealistic managers that believes in playing a certain way every game. 

So he won't do that and he'll have a real go at us, which is perfect for Nunez.

I'd like to predict Nunez for a hat trick of goals, but I'm sure he'll hit the wood work at least once so maybe just a double. 

A Xmas feast.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2023, 10:08:12 pm »
Don't care who plays, just win. Comfortably would be preferable as well as I'll be hella hungover. Up the Reds!

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2023, 10:28:53 pm »
alison

trent virg konate gomez

dom endo grav

salah cody nunez

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2023, 11:32:14 pm »
As others have said, as long as we get the win, that's all hat matters.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2023, 11:43:19 pm »
As others have said, as long as we get the win, that's all hat matters.

You’re out of luck, James Milliner doesn’t play for us anymore.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family