Author Topic: The 'Football was invented in 1992' Sly Sports Premier League draft - discussion  (Read 18769 times)

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Okay, not had an answer from everyone, but all but one of you has said yes. So we're going to go ahead with the bonus/draft add on rounds.

Format is as follows:

- You may pick 1 x defender, 1 x midfielder, and 1 x forward as subs. These players won't go into your first 11. Use wiki as a guide for positioning. E.g. Philipp Degen is listed as both a right back and a right winger, so could be your defender or midfielder pick.

- One country rule still applies.

- Your pick must have played one full season of Premier League football.

- Pick order will go from the bottom of the list up. So first pick to Nicholls, then Robbie etc. Then we snake back down as per usual.

- 1 hour pick deadlines. No need to dawdle too long on these bonus picks.

Any questions let me know.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 01:20:22 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Up for the subs thingy.

Edit: Think it would be cool if we got to use our subs depending on the opposition. Makes the matchups a bit more tactical and different.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Excellent work with the first pick, Nicholls! Loved Paddy. Perfect sub material. Really wanted to include him in my team, but couldn't fit him in in the end.

Over to Robbie.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Excellent work with the first pick, Nicholls! Loved Paddy. Perfect sub material. Really wanted to include him in my team, but couldn't fit him in in the end.

Over to Robbie.

Fit.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Up for the subs thingy.

Edit: Think it would be cool if we got to use our subs depending on the opposition. Makes the matchups a bit more tactical and different.

I think the problem is because I've sprung this on people and not everyone has the time to draft this week (Elzar for one), it might be too much of a disadvantage if people are allowed to swap these players into their first 11s. It's something we should consider doing in future drafts to add a new dynamic though.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
So you still can't pick players from countries you've already picked?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
So you still can't pick players from countries you've already picked?

Yip. Most people who answered seemed to prefer that.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
How about we spin-off this draft and do it for La Liga and Seria A?  :D

Seria A- 1990-2023

La Liga 1990-2023

Nice idea, mate. Maybe riffing off the Sly Sports theme, we could use other TV shows that were relevent to each league.

So for Serie A we could use this UK Channel 4 classic -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ASM3jm-ocyA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ASM3jm-ocyA</a>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Italia

That would mean going from 1992 to 2008, which might be a bit brutal but I think could be fun for seeing some different players picked.

GOOOOOLLLLLLLACCCCCCCCIIIIIIIOOOOOO!

No idea what TV shows were linked to La Liga though?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 01:10:00 pm by Betty Blue »

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Yip. Most people who answered seemed to prefer that.

Sound, makes it that much more difficult!

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Haha, must be doing something right then!

Yeah, that would be going too far :P

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
I think the problem is because I've sprung this on people and not everyone has the time to draft this week (Elzar for one), it might be too much of a disadvantage if people are allowed to swap these players into their first 11s. It's something we should consider doing in future drafts to add a new dynamic though.
Yeah, that's fair. That's an idea I've been thinking about for some time, but I always forget about it when we do one of these football drafts.  ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice idea, mate. Maybe riffing off the Sly Sports theme, we could use other TV shows that were relevent to each league.

So for Serie A we could use this UK Channel 4 classic -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ASM3jm-ocyA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ASM3jm-ocyA</a>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Italia

That would mean going from 1992 to 2008, which might be a bit brutal but I think could be fun for seeing some different players picked.

GOOOOOLLLLLLLACCCCCCCCIIIIIIIOOOOOO!

No idea what TV shows were linked to La Liga though?

I like it.  ;D

while La Liga didn't go terrestrial like Seria A, Revista de La Liga on Sky was popular.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Just to note, I've added one small rule for the bonus round here:

- Your pick must have played one full season of Premier League football.

Guards against a few sneaky picks that wouldn't really deserve to be included yet.

Yeah, that's fair. That's an idea I've been thinking about for some time, but I always forget about it when we do one of these football drafts.  ;D

Definitely one we should experiment with in future. I remember waaaay back, Saint Kopite had some flexible players who could allow him to swap formations between matches and he went from losing his group to reaching the final with just a small tweak.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Saint was a nerd though...with six wives.  ;D

The rest of us couldn't be bothered with subs.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

I like it.  ;D

while La Liga didn't go terrestrial like Seria A, Revista de La Liga on Sky was popular.

Nice one. After some extensive googling, it looks like Revista de La Liga debuted in 1997 and ran until Sky lost their La Liga rights in 2018/19. So the La Liga one could be 1997-2018, which definitely covers most of the golden years.

Edit: Not sure these ones would work as 11 from 11 countries though. Especially Italy. Could maybe do it with clubs though.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 01:42:25 pm by Betty Blue »

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice one. After some extensive googling, it looks like Revista de La Liga debuted in 1997 and ran until Sky lost their La Liga rights in 2018/19. So the La Liga one could be 1997-2018, which definitely covers most of the golden years.

Basically the glory days of champ manager! 98-03, The Milan clubs had all the best players.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Championship Manager 01 was peak.  8)

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Championship Manager 01 was peak.  8)

Champ Man 01/02 is the greatest football game ever.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
You can skip me every time it comes to me for this bonus part. Will look now for a pick.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
There we go, great celebration and keeps us up to date on all the transfer news. What a pick!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Nice one, Elzar. Loved Ravanelli!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So Betts, you happy to do the Gazetta Seria A Draft?  ;D

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
So Betts, you happy to do the Gazetta Seria A Draft?  ;D

For sure, I think that should be next in the series. I wouldn't be able to run it until around Xmas time though.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mikey, just shameful from you mate. Morals lower than a snakes belly.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
Might as well carry on where I left off!
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Might as well carry on where I left off!

At least you've got the City vote sewn up now. Disappointed you didn't pick Shaun Goater though.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Crap didn't realize Maxi had been picked one sec.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Crap didn't realize Maxi had been picked one sec.

Leto's available if you want another Argentine.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Leto's available if you want another Argentine.

Picked a Welshman instead ;)

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You bastard Chaks I wanted to re-unite Riise and Bellamy!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You bastard Chaks I wanted to re-unite Riise and Bellamy!

They’d just fight ;) I’ve saved you so many dressing room arguments :P

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd

Haha. High as snake bellies on a planes I assume?
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I'm not going to lie, I might have created this bonus subs round just so I could draft Yeboah  :D

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Shame on anyone picking non-fun picks here. Pick the cult heroes, be brave

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not current draft related but...  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

I’m a few drafters picks away from getting the ideal man for this job.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Agreed! That's what I'll be doing. Can't imagine anyone will be deciding their vote on these subs

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
 ;D

I have a good hipster lined up lads.  8)